Author Topic: Isaiah Thomas for the Knicks' pick?  (Read 15414 times)

Isaiah Thomas for the Knicks' pick?
« on: May 21, 2015, 02:28:49 PM »

Offline I told you so

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 10
Not as far-fetched as it may sound... The Knicks got hosed (from their point of view) by dropping down to fourth in the draft lottery. The three players they really wanted: Karl Anthony Towns, Kahlil Okafor and D'Angelo Russell will almost certainly be snapped up by the Twolves, Lakers and Sixers.  The next best prospects, Emmanuel Mudiay and Justise Winslow are less than ideal; Mudiay does not project as a good point guard for the triangle offense, and Winslow plays the same position as Carmelo Anthony.

Phil Jackson made it clear on numerous occasions during the Knicks' "tanking" season that he was open to trading his lottery pick if the draft options were unsuitable.  The Knicks are also desperate to unload aging PG Jose Calderon.  Here's an interesting excerpt from New York sports writer Lauren Moranor:

While Jackson made it clear that he wants to rebuild the Knicks in free agency, trades could easily come for the team. According to Ian Begley of ESPNNewYork.com, Jose Calderon, Tim Hardaway Jr and Lou Amundson are all players that could be up on the trade block this offseason along with that potential draft pick. Begley writes that getting rid of Calderon is a priority and the only way that is possible is to package the player with either Hardaway or the draft pick. Calderon's stock is simply not high enough to match his current salary.

There are plenty of players the Knicks could look at if they start trading. Carmelo Anthony told ESPN.com that he wants a veteran for the point guard position over getting a rookie in the draft. While everyone chases Rajon Rondo, New York could look for a trade. According to the Detroit Free Press, Brandon Jennings could be available if Reggie Jackson is re-signed. Deron Williams is available with the Nets although his contract is ugly. Ty Lawson could be an option along with Isaiah Thomas depending on how adventurous the Boston Celtics get.

Hmm ... Phil has bent over backwards to keep Carmelo happy.  How about IT for that number 4 pick and we'll take Calderon off your hands, Phil?

From the Celtics' viewpoint, they could draft either Justise Winslow at SF or you-know-who at PF/C.  Calderon would be a serviceable backup PG and at $7.4 mil vs Isaiah's $6.9 mil next year, he wouldn't be a big cap hit.

I love Isaiah's fire coming off the bench, but eventually his desire to be a starter is going to be a problem.  He's not likely to be starting in Boston, so it would be better for all concerned to ship him somewhere he can be the starting PG. Maybe we have to throw one of our picks into the deal, but I think this would be a high-value return for a one-way player.

Re: Isaiah Thomas for the Knicks' pick?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 02:32:04 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Not as far-fetched as it may sound... The Knicks got hosed (from their point of view) by dropping down to fourth in the draft lottery. The three players they really wanted: Karl Anthony Towns, Kahlil Okafor and D'Angelo Russell will almost certainly be snapped up by the Twolves, Lakers and Sixers.  The next best prospects, Emmanuel Mudiay and Justise Winslow are less than ideal; Mudiay does not project as a good point guard for the triangle offense, and Winslow plays the same position as Carmelo Anthony.

Phil Jackson made it clear on numerous occasions during the Knicks' "tanking" season that he was open to trading his lottery pick if the draft options were unsuitable.  The Knicks are also desperate to unload aging PG Jose Calderon.  Here's an interesting excerpt from New York sports writer Lauren Moranor:

While Jackson made it clear that he wants to rebuild the Knicks in free agency, trades could easily come for the team. According to Ian Begley of ESPNNewYork.com, Jose Calderon, Tim Hardaway Jr and Lou Amundson are all players that could be up on the trade block this offseason along with that potential draft pick. Begley writes that getting rid of Calderon is a priority and the only way that is possible is to package the player with either Hardaway or the draft pick. Calderon's stock is simply not high enough to match his current salary.

There are plenty of players the Knicks could look at if they start trading. Carmelo Anthony told ESPN.com that he wants a veteran for the point guard position over getting a rookie in the draft. While everyone chases Rajon Rondo, New York could look for a trade. According to the Detroit Free Press, Brandon Jennings could be available if Reggie Jackson is re-signed. Deron Williams is available with the Nets although his contract is ugly. Ty Lawson could be an option along with Isaiah Thomas depending on how adventurous the Boston Celtics get.

Hmm ... Phil has bent over backwards to keep Carmelo happy.  How about IT for that number 4 pick and we'll take Calderon off your hands, Phil?

From the Celtics' viewpoint, they could draft either Justise Winslow at SF or you-know-who at PF/C.  Calderon would be a serviceable backup PG and at $7.4 mil vs Isaiah's $6.9 mil next year, he wouldn't be a big cap hit.

I love Isaiah's fire coming off the bench, but eventually his desire to be a starter is going to be a problem.  He's not likely to be starting in Boston, so it would be better for all concerned to ship him somewhere he can be the starting PG. Maybe we have to throw one of our picks into the deal, but I think this would be a high-value return for a one-way player.

Would trade Isaiah Thomas witohut a question for the 4th pick... Kristap, Winslow, and Mudiay give us so many options, and allows us to either trade the pick and move down too.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 02:32:16 PM »

Offline Bosstown

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 32
dude....what? you're overvaluing IT a TON here.

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2015, 02:35:40 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
i'd do it in a heartbeat, and if phil does, he's fired

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2015, 02:59:58 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Lol.  Our back-up pointguard for a star prospect.  Funny.

Marcus Smart + #16 might land you #4 if New York loves Smart.

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2015, 03:05:28 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
i'd do it in a heartbeat, and if phil does, he's fired

If Phil does it he wouldn't be "fired"...he'd be paid millions of dollars to sit out and not have to deal with the Knicks anymore.  Maybe we should offer it, it actually sounds like we might have a chance at it

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2015, 03:15:11 PM »

Offline CelticsFanFromNYC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 137
Well from what I've read, Knicks are looking for a 2016 draft pick

I wonder if  IT, 16th, 2016 Nets Pick
for #4 (I particularly like Winslow) and Calderon  would work. 

Not sure if thats a tad much even though those 2 picks arent garunteed to be  anything good

I "LOVE" IT as a backup point but Calderon would fit great in this system as a backup   

Still have Turner as a 3rd PG when needed. Im not ready to let Smart go at his rate in improvement

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2015, 03:24:47 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Would they prefer Thomas, or the extra cap space in not taking him on?

How about this?

Boston
#4 pick
Calderon

NewYork
Sullinger

For us...At #4, given our roster makeup, I would look to add Winslow. We'd probably look to move Calderon down the line, but in the meanwhile he can give us a veteran ball handler who can really shoot the ball.

For NY...They save about 7M in cap space when you factor the players and difference in salary between the #4 and #16 picks. On paper Sullinger looks like a good fit for the triangle.

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2015, 03:26:32 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

Marcus Smart + #16 might land you #4 if New York loves Smart.

IT is under contract for the next 3 years.  There's a good chance he'll be BETTER than anyone the Knicks get at #4 over that stretch.  And he costs less than 7 million dollars a year. 

If the Knicks were assured of getting a top free agent like LaMarcus Aldridge, trading the #4 for IT, #28 and #33 would be a pretty good deal because the Knicks need to win NOW, NOW, NOW with Melo.

Mike

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2015, 03:38:38 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182

Pretty much.

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2015, 03:40:43 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Ummm, nothing we have is worth the 4th pick.... Nothing short of a miracle, and giving up Smart would get us the 4th pick.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2015, 03:42:46 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Would they prefer Thomas, or the extra cap space in not taking him on?

How about this?

Boston
#4 pick
Calderon

NewYork
Sullinger

For us...At #4, given our roster makeup, I would look to add Winslow. We'd probably look to move Calderon down the line, but in the meanwhile he can give us a veteran ball handler who can really shoot the ball.

For NY...They save about 7M in cap space when you factor the players and difference in salary between the #4 and #16 picks. On paper Sullinger looks like a good fit for the triangle.

I do think that makes more sense.  Probably would have to throw in at least 1 more future 1st.

Or maybe have to put James Young in there as well.

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2015, 03:45:39 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Crazier things have happened. I agree that it would probably take the #16, but that would be worth it. The #4 is very interesting, but it really isn't any different than getting #8 and I am sure that's how other teams see it, too, when making offers to NYK.

LarBrd, I see what you are saying about it having to be Smart and #16, but IT is ready now, is making good money, and is a crazy-good scorer. The Knicks have their sights on the short term and IT might be a better fit for them. Getting a guy like Portis or Oubre at 16 would give them a good young player to develop, while being able to compete now.

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2015, 04:07:42 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
If we did trade IT for the 4th pick (which would never happen unlesss we included more), I'd imagine Ryan McDonough would feel like a real dummy for only getting Thornton and a late first for him
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 04:13:27 PM by BitterJim »
I'm bitter.

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2015, 04:14:17 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
On paper Sullinger looks like a good fit for the triangle.

Sullinger is a better fit for a circle. :)