Author Topic: CBS on Mike & Mike for 2 hours today from 8-10  (Read 5401 times)

Re: CBS on Mike & Mike for 2 hours today from 8-10
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2015, 06:21:20 PM »

Online SCeltic34

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1948
CBS also talk about James Young.
He said, he has enormous talent with great work ethic. He has improved very fast in the gym but doesn't show on his minutes playing time. He added that he understand how frustrating that might be for him, but if he continue to work that way, the result will come.

It didn't sound like a sales speech to me. I believe the organisation really believe in Young.

Cool deal, that's great to hear.  I think a lot of us on this board had question marks regarding Young's work ethic.  Especially since Gerald Wallace didn't seem to have a particularly glowing review of him earlier in the season (http://www.celticsblog.com/2015/3/11/8189649/gerald-wallace-to-james-young-pay-attention) and we all know that Wallace is very honest when he speaks.

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2015, 06:42:28 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2904
If Young works out, it is one less position that needs addressed, so good news.

Yep, and I still see him as a big 2 rather than a 3. As a backcourt, Young and Smart complement each other really well.

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2015, 08:26:14 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
If Young worked out it would be huge for the C's. I know many are down on him around here. If we could get  a good sign that he will be at least be a valuable rotation player this year, and possibly grow into a good starter in the near future, it would be one less position/player we're in need of, true enough.

This is a huge year for James Young, time to show more than just rookie potential.

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2015, 10:20:07 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
He said, he has enormous talent with great work ethic. He has improved very fast in the gym but doesn't show on his minutes playing time. He added that he understand how frustrating that might be for him, but if he continue to work that way, the result will come.

It didn't sound like a sales speech to me. I believe the organisation really believe in Young.

TP to you and SCeltic34.

We've seen so little of Young that it's good to hear a positive assessment from CBS.

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2015, 12:51:06 AM »

Offline Maurice98

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 36

I'm happy to hear this because after the GW comments on him people were down on his work ethic. Glad the C's are believing in him. The only thing that he has to do is just wait for the occasion and the right time (other than improve his game and body).

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2015, 01:43:29 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

Yep, and I still see him as a big 2 rather than a 3. As a backcourt, Young and Smart complement each other really well.
Only if you think Smart is a true PG which I don't.  Young isn't going to create much offense for himself or anyone else.  So you'd need to have an SF that could do so.  The Smart/Bradley pairing has the same issue which is why Stevens started ET at SF. 

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2015, 02:51:37 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo

Only if you think Smart is a true PG which I don't.  Young isn't going to create much offense for himself or anyone else.  So you'd need to have an SF that could do so.  The Smart/Bradley pairing has the same issue which is why Stevens started ET at SF.

I wouldn't count out Smart as a PG off of 1 season. Tough position for a rookie to play in the NBA

« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2015, 02:56:27 AM »

Offline cb8883

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 52

I wouldn't count out Smart as a PG off of 1 season. Tough position for a rookie to play in the NBA

I would. Elfrid is light years ahead of smart in terms of skill and potential.

« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2015, 02:06:16 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Just saw that he signed with Jordan brand. Jordan may not have been the best assessor of talent over the years, but that is pretty significant and baller imo. Nice accomplishment for a guy that has barely touched the floor.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2015, 03:15:54 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo

I would. Elfrid is light years ahead of smart in terms of skill and potential.

Too bad he can't shoot from the line or field, unless you think you can make a career solely by getting to the rim in the NBA. Good way to get injured and you didn't see Payton in the playoffs when the opposing coach is game planning for him and keeping him out of the lane. The career of He-who-must-not-be-named-unless-you-want-a-usless-10-page-CBlog-thread looks like his ceiling if Payton improves and doesn't get injured running into the trees or D-Wade doesn't mug him.

Smart's a much better shooter and a better defender too, though Payton is a good defender. Smart will get better offensively by taking fewer forced shots and going to the hole more which he should be able to do. He'll also get better as a play-maker, which is the toughest thing for a rookie.  That's Payton's strength. However, Payton has to learn to shoot better from distance, but he can't shoot standing still at the FT line. That's a bad omen historically. Reminds me again of He-who-must-not-etc.

And if he's light years ahead of Smart, Payton wouldn't trail him in overall +/- using the two different +/- systems at Basketball-Reference.com and ESPN. +/- isn't perfect, but Payton's not light years ahead of Smart and as far as upside is concerned, I'd bet on Smart because Payton's shooting is unlikely to ever be good.