Author Topic: Could Celtics sign JaVale McGee?  (Read 3441 times)

Could Celtics sign JaVale McGee?
« on: May 20, 2015, 02:22:13 PM »

Offline stb

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 119

Re: Could Celtics sign JaVale McGee?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 02:27:40 PM »

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
I think he could be a plan C or D if we fail to get some other targets.
Azzurri | Juventus | Boston Celtics | Kentucky Basketball

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 02:35:13 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
I would rather take a gamble on Larry Sanders. He at least has an elite skill on D

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 02:37:53 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Lol here we go again!!  ;D

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 03:04:00 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
I would be fine with him as a second or third C coming off the bench. Maybe Stevens can actually get inside that thick skull of his and teach him not to play above himself.

What he should worry about is rebounding and block shots, and put backs. Thats it, none of this full court off the back board dunks. Just simple play. If he does this, he could be a half way decent Center.

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2015, 03:11:17 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

You get 15 players. If you can find 15 players who have a better chance at moving the needle than McGee, then do it.

You can't, so shut up and sign McGee if you can.

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2015, 11:16:11 PM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123
As said above, if you can't do better do what you can. BUT, I really didn't like his antics this season. He could already be here. It's business, but it left a sour taste.

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2015, 11:20:37 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
I want the Cs to sign him just so Shaq screaming, "JAVALE MCGEEEEEEE" can be the new Chris Webber saying, "RONDOOOOOOOOOOO" craze.

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2015, 11:37:31 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I would rather take a gamble on Larry Sanders. He at least has an elite skill on D
It's better to sign a player that's not retired.

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2015, 11:06:18 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Do you believe in miracles? Because that's what it would take for him to actually live up to his projected basketball potential.

Such a waste JaVale is, blessed with great size, length, and athletic ability, unfortunately he has a terribly low basketball IQ, and he is an injury waiting to happen, and when he is injured, he's injured for the season, on the organizations dime.

Years ago I had my eye on him as a trade target, asking "whats holding this guy back"

I would rather give Upshaw a shot.

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2015, 11:56:34 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
I think the question with Javale is , how bad was his leg injury and has he recovered his athleticism yet? If not , then he's not worth signing, and could be done as an NBA player. If he has though, he could be a bargain right now and fill a need for us, like a big man version of Evan Turner last year.

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2015, 01:09:56 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
I hope not.  He should have came when he had the chance.  He looked so dumb for wanting to play for a playoff team and not the Celtics and then the Celtics end up in the playoffs where could have helped some.  Forget him!  He's not good enough to say forget his antics a few months ago and let's go get him.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2015, 01:53:54 PM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
I hope not.  He should have came when he had the chance.  He looked so dumb for wanting to play for a playoff team and not the Celtics and then the Celtics end up in the playoffs where could have helped some.  Forget him!  He's not good enough to say forget his antics a few months ago and let's go get him.
If I remember correctly, JaVale didn't want to sign with the Celtics because Danny as a minimum was offering a 2 year deal whereas he only wanted a 1 year deal. I don't think that he refused the C's because he doubted our ability to make the playoffs.
Let's sign JaVale! We are not bringing him in to be a starting center, and we certainly need his height for rebounding and defense. I'd honestly rather have JaVale on the bench than a Shavlik Randolph that's not going to play anyway...
Jack of all trades, master of none.

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2015, 02:35:33 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Yes, I agree with those who say to sign him if there is no one better.

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2015, 12:01:45 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
All depends how much it's for.  If it's a salary friendly contract and not too long term, then absolutely. 

He might be not be a smartest guy out there, but he has skills that can help a team win.  The guy's career per-36 numbers are 15.2 / 10 / 0.6 / 0.7 / 3.2 and has shot 54% from the field, which are godsend numbers for a team that's dying for a rim protector.  He's averaged 1.8 blocks for his career in only 19.9 minutes - he would have to be a top 10 shot blocker of this generation with numbers like that.

He's pretty much a poor man's DeAndre Jordan really, except McGee is a shotblocker and scorer, while Jordan is a better rebounder. 

Yes, McGee only had 64% of his FG assisted on - for Jordan I was 70%.  At least McGee isn't COMPLETELY dependant on a good passer to get points lol

Also McGee doesn't need big minutes so he's low risk - if he doesn't perform that great, limit him to 20 MPG and bring him off the bench as a backup center.  I have trouble believing though that he wouldn't be an upgrade over Zeller.