Poll

Will Olynyk Will Explode in year 3 Just like  he did at Gonzaga.

Yes. Olynyk Will put on a Clinic just like he did in college.
25 (30.5%)
No. The Clinic will be shut down.
32 (39%)
I'm not sure Olynyk freaks me out.
25 (30.5%)

Total Members Voted: 82

Author Topic: Poll: Olynyk Will Explode in year 3 Just like college.  (Read 17771 times)

Re: Poll: Olynyk Will Explode in year 3 Just like college.
« Reply #75 on: May 22, 2015, 06:07:25 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Even though the difference between them is only one vote, the best part about this poll is that the only option more popular than, "No.  The Clinic will be shut down." is, "I'm not sure Olynyk freaks me out." ahaha ;D.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 09:22:38 PM by Beat LA »

« Reply #76 on: May 22, 2015, 06:20:28 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
not really. using per 36 minutes to make for a comparison here:

While, your right he did not really regress, I think Per36 is really bad for a guy like him who is often in foul trouble in the minutes he plays.

« Reply #77 on: May 22, 2015, 07:17:01 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
not really. using per 36 minutes to make for a comparison here:

While, your right he did not really regress, I think Per36 is really bad for a guy like him who is often in foul trouble in the minutes he plays.
yes, i see your point. but we are using a total of two seasons for a single player. hard to slice and dice and parse too much.

by the way, his fouls per 36 were:
2014 - 5.8
2015 - 5.4

so, no regression there either!  ;D but since the level of fouls is quite comparable, i think in this particular case a per 36 comparison is sufficient.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #78 on: May 22, 2015, 08:18:31 PM »

Offline brundlenye the sciencefly

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 2
I think if KO puts on more muscle and continues to tighten his rotations on D he'll be fine... whenever he gets into his groove he goes off for 20+ pts, problem is his constant fouls keep him off the floor and out of his groove.

At the same time, though, I feel we're all talking about KO's development as though we except him to turn into an all-star...

Going by DA's statements, KO is doing exactly what's expected of him: being a versatile player who "makes his team better", as evidenced by his+/- rating of +3.5. The only two that are higher are are Jerebko (3.8) and IT4 (4.4), but their stats are also derived from a much smaller sample size than KO's, for whatever it's worth.

« Reply #79 on: May 22, 2015, 08:40:21 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I think he has plenty of muscle

He needs a bucket load of confidence and some attitude

I never thought I d actually WANT an NBA player to be MORE SElFISH

He needs to let go some of the team first and use his skills to LEAD the team.

Or he'll  stand back and watch his team struggle , because he is too shy to step up and play like he can .

« Reply #80 on: May 22, 2015, 09:26:02 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
A lot of the problem with Olynyk is just mentality. The guy clearly thinks he's just a try-hard role-player and that's become a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy. He's got some extraordinary and unique skills at least on the offensive end and if he was willing to be more assertive he could definitely be better than he is now.

Unfortunately, sometimes the mental blocks are much harder to get over than the physical ones.

Danny also stated that about 100 times the week they drafted him. (I didn't get that at all.)

Well now, he certainly sounds like a keeper (sarcasm)! ::) If Ainge really knew this before he traded up to get him, that makes the pick even worse, imo, and I wasn't sure that it was possible to get there, lol ;D. Ugh.

« Reply #81 on: May 22, 2015, 10:01:24 PM »

Offline Jesus Shuttlesworth #20

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 28
Olynyk will absolutely explode if they send him to the D League. However, if Olynyk plays in the NBA he will not explode, as any normal human being would know, because he is not a very good player. I guess a thread had to be created to determine that Olynyk is not a good player despite the fact that no sane person would ever suggest he will be a good player.

« Reply #82 on: May 22, 2015, 11:32:38 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Olynyk will absolutely explode if they send him to the D League. However, if Olynyk plays in the NBA he will not explode, as any normal human being would know, because he is not a very good player. I guess a thread had to be created to determine that Olynyk is not a good player despite the fact that no sane person would ever suggest he will be a good player.

Here I sit, insane and abnormal, raving and drooling all over my computer.

DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #83 on: May 22, 2015, 11:38:54 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

You and I need to get checked in the Psych Ward.

I still believe people are still upset that Kelly chosen over Giannis, It's like if Anige chose Bowie over Jordan.

« Reply #84 on: May 23, 2015, 12:11:20 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
A lot of the problem with Olynyk is just mentality. The guy clearly thinks he's just a try-hard role-player and that's become a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy. He's got some extraordinary and unique skills at least on the offensive end and if he was willing to be more assertive he could definitely be better than he is now.

Unfortunately, sometimes the mental blocks are much harder to get over than the physical ones.

Danny also stated that about 100 times the week they drafted him. (I didn't get that at all.)

Well now, he certainly sounds like a keeper (sarcasm)! ::) If Ainge really knew this before he traded up to get him, that makes the pick even worse, imo, and I wasn't sure that it was possible to get there, lol ;D. Ugh.

You call drafting Olynyk a bad move?

Danny went in to that draft armed with #16 and came out with Olynyk.  If that was such a poor pick then please, list for me 10 guys from that draft who are better players than Olynyk is right now.

I think it's pretty clear that Olynyk was one of the best 6-8 players in that (extremely bad) draft pool, so for Danny to get him is hardly a bad move...I think there are a lot of teams who drafted much earlier than 16 who wish they took Olynyk right now.

Also the mentality doesn't really bother me.  What bothers me in players is poor IQ, poor work ethic, attitude problems, laziness, etc.  Those are the type of characteristics that usually are a part of who the person is, and typically don't change over their careers.

Confidence is something almost all rookies lack when the come in to the NBA.  Confidence is something a player can gain over time if they have teammates and coaches who believe in them, and if they start seeing success at the NBA level.

If Olynyk's confidence improves in the next 2-3 years, then god knows how good he could be.  Superstar?  High unlikely, but for him to become an all-star is not outside of the realm of possibility.  Hell if you told anybody during his second season that Kyle Korver would one day be an All-Star, they'd have laughed in your face.

« Reply #85 on: May 23, 2015, 12:23:57 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo

I still believe people are still upset that Kelly chosen over Giannis, It's like if Anige chose Bowie over Jordan.

And Giannis has shown us so much star power so far - I mean his stats over his first two seasons are just certain "superstar in the making" numbers...

This year he averaged 12.7 points, 6.7 rebounds, 2.6 assists, 0.9 steals and 1.0 blocks.  Wow! 

Last year he averaged 6.8 points, 4.4 rebounds, 1.9 assists, 0.8 steals and 0.8 blocks.  Amazing!

But we all know he's a prospect, so he's must not be playing huge minutes.  Lets adjust them for per-36 and see those Lebron-like numbers he's REALLY putting up:

14.6 points, 7.7 rebounds, 2.9 assists, 1.0 steals, 1.2 blocks

Oh...ok maybe not Lebron stats then.  But hey, that's all not even taking to account his amazing shooting skills, I mean what did he shoot from three this year???  Oh...only 15.9%?

Hmm...but he's long, he's athletic and he's 20 years old so he's certain to become a superstar, right?  I mean EVERYBODY who is long, athletic and 20 years old goes on to become a superstar one day...right?

???

See, the thing is...right now, KO is a better player then Giannis (not even going to try the last name) and by a pretty significant margin...so all of the people who assume Giannis will one day be better are coming to this conclusion based purely on his potential, and that potential is based almost entirely on his physical gifts.  The only way he'll  become this superstar people expect him to be is if he develops new skills to go along with this gifts, which he may or may not do.

Olynyk has already shown that he already has skills.  All he needs to dramatically change is his foul problems, which he may or may not do.  Other than that all he has to do in order to develop in to a good starter is to make small and gradual improvements to his skills each year, which he so far has done.

Now by all means Giannis may turn out to be the next superstar, and Olynyk may remain a foul-plagued bench player who can never play more than 20 MPG.  Or maybe Olynyk improves his foul issues and becomes an 18/8/3/1/1 guy and a poor man's Dirk, while Giannis never sees his potential and becomes just another physical freak that never makes anything of himself.

They key point here is that right now, none of us knows how good these guys are going to be 3 or 4 years from now.  Nobody knows which of the two is going to become the better player in the long run.  Until we do, I'm not going to sit here and criticise Danny from drafting badly given that the guy he drafted is (so far) the better player.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 12:36:20 AM by crimson_stallion »

« Reply #86 on: May 23, 2015, 12:32:07 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
I never said Giannis sucked, I'm just saying that I feel part of the reason Kelly gets so much hate around here is because he was drafted before Giannis.

« Reply #87 on: May 23, 2015, 12:36:05 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • bammokja
yet, as shown through boatloads of data and statistics by numerous posters here, olly is an above average nba player in offense. that is crystal clear.

what is also interesting is that his defense, as shown by stats, is not bad, perhaps in the ball park of average.

however you stack it up and whatever the pre-existing emotional preference, olly is not a bad nba player. he will not be an all star, but i do believe he will find a good career as a starter on a poor team, or a  good bench player on a good team.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #88 on: May 23, 2015, 12:37:57 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
I never said Giannis sucked, I'm just saying that I feel part of the reason Kelly gets so much hate around here is because he was drafted before Giannis.

Yeah I know, my response was more to the general CelticsBlog public who seem to hold Olynyk in contempt because of what you said (him being taken over Giannis). 

Just quoted you because my response was based on that premise :)

« Reply #89 on: May 23, 2015, 12:40:35 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • bammokja

And Giannis has shown us so much star power so far - I mean his stats over his first two seasons are just certain "superstar in the making" numbers...

This year he averaged 12.7 points, 6.7 rebounds, 2.6 assists, 0.9 steals and 1.0 blocks.  Wow! 

Last year he averaged 6.8 points, 4.4 rebounds, 1.9 assists, 0.8 steals and 0.8 blocks.  Amazing!

But we all know he's a prospect, so he's must not be playing huge minutes.  Lets adjust them for per-36 and see those Lebron-like numbers he's REALLY putting up:

14.6 points, 7.7 rebounds, 2.9 assists, 1.0 steals, 1.2 blocks

Oh...ok maybe not Lebron stats then.  But hey, that's all not even taking to account his amazing shooting skills, I mean what did he shoot from three this year???  Oh...only 15.9%?

Hmm...but he's long, he's athletic and he's 20 years old so he's certain to become a superstar, right?  I mean EVERYBODY who is long, athletic and 20 years old goes on to become a superstar one day...right?

???

See, the thing is...right now, KO is a better player then Giannis (not even going to try the last name) and by a pretty significant margin...so all of the people who assume Giannis will one day be better are coming to this conclusion based purely on his potential, and that potential is based almost entirely on his physical gifts.  The only way he'll  become this superstar people expect him to be is if he develops new skills to go along with this gifts, which he may or may not do.

Olynyk has already shown that he already has skills.  All he needs to dramatically change is his foul problems, which he may or may not do.  Other than that all he has to do in order to develop in to a good starter is to make small and gradual improvements to his skills each year, which he so far has done.

Now by all means Giannis may turn out to be the next superstar, and Olynyk may remain a foul-plagued bench player who can never play more than 20 MPG.  Or maybe Olynyk improves his foul issues and becomes an 18/8/3/1/1 guy and a poor man's Dirk, while Giannis never sees his potential and becomes just another physical freak that never makes anything of himself.

They key point here is that right now, none of us knows how good these guys are going to be 3 or 4 years from now.  Nobody knows which of the two is going to become the better player in the long run.  Until we do, I'm not going to sit here and criticise Danny from drafting badly given that the guy he drafted is (so far) the better player.
good points CS. i made a similar argument the past two seasons.

we simply dont know right now who will better - olynyk or antetokounmpo, or by how much. they are very different sorts of players and each may be successful in different ways. i am fine with that too.
- Vandana Shiva