Poll

Will Olynyk Will Explode in year 3 Just like  he did at Gonzaga.

Yes. Olynyk Will put on a Clinic just like he did in college.
25 (30.5%)
No. The Clinic will be shut down.
32 (39%)
I'm not sure Olynyk freaks me out.
25 (30.5%)

Total Members Voted: 82

Author Topic: Poll: Olynyk Will Explode in year 3 Just like college.  (Read 17770 times)

Re: Poll: Olynyk Will Explode in year 3 Just like college.
« Reply #60 on: May 21, 2015, 06:31:54 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509

Lets be honest - Larry Bird never had much physical talent (size, athleticism, strength, etc) but he destroyed opponents with his smarts and his skills.  Not saying KO will ever be half the player Bird was, just saying that you CAN be a very good player without being physically dominant.

I think this is an under-selling of Bird.  First, he had size. Pretty big for a 3.
  Describing him as not having physical talent (athleticism) really depends on how you look at athleticism.  Bird was not  bbiq alone.  He had ridiculous coordination and body control.  His shooting mechanics were magnificent but what was amazing was how fluidly he got his body in position to make accurate shots.  To me, that's athleticism.  He was off the charts skilled -- AND had great bbiq.   Not sure I could say the same for KO yet on either count.

« Reply #61 on: May 21, 2015, 06:38:41 PM »

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1956
Sully at least has some physical potential thanks to his strength and decent wingspan - if he got in shape, he could have a physical advantage against his opponents on some nights.  It's easier for a guy like that to improve as a player, but Sully has only dropped off. 

He has bulk not strength according to his combine bench press numbers.  Benched 185 only 9 times,   I think KO did it 5.  Crowder did it like 20 times and Smart 18.   Can we stop the myth that he is strong, he has a big rear that creates space.

I find it silly that they use bench press as a strength measurement.  Doesn't necessarily translate into functional athletic strength/power, and besides lower body and core strength are significantly more important in basketball.  If you did leg press instead of bench press (which would be flawed too), I imagine Sully would put up some good numbers. 

I think KO will continue to show improvement in year 3, somewhere in the middle of "running a Clinic" and "having the Clinic shut down".  Really improved a lot on his defensive rotations this year, but needs to stop picking up cheap fouls.  Needs to to earn the minutes (hopefully Bass won't be back) and play a little more loose.  Stop pump faking so [dang] much and trust his game.

« Reply #62 on: May 21, 2015, 06:43:06 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

Lets be honest - Larry Bird never had much physical talent (size, athleticism, strength, etc) but he destroyed opponents with his smarts and his skills.  Not saying KO will ever be half the player Bird was, just saying that you CAN be a very good player without being physically dominant.

I think this is an under-selling of Bird.  First, he had size. Pretty big for a 3.
  Describing him as not having physical talent (athleticism) really depends on how you look at athleticism.  Bird was not  bbiq alone.  He had ridiculous coordination and body control.  His shooting mechanics were magnificent but what was amazing was how fluidly he got his body in position to make accurate shots.  To me, that's athleticism.  He was off the charts skilled -- AND had great bbiq.   Not sure I could say the same for KO yet on either count.

And a rather drastic one, at that.  True, Larry might not have had the hops of Dominique, Dr. J, or Worthy, etc., and he wasn't fast, but he did have excellent lateral quickness, in addition to all of the other things you listed.  Even in his final season, Bird moved better laterally, and in terms of overall speed, than KO.  It's rather insulting to even compare 33 to the billy goat ;), imo, lol ;D.

« Reply #63 on: May 21, 2015, 07:02:19 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Bird believed in himself, KO does not hence the comparison is not very apt.   KO fakes this way and that way as he is so afraid of being swatted or not being able to get off his shot.   Bird was ultra competitive, had unbelievable will to win and talked smacked with the best of them.   KO has zero of those traits.   Because they are tall and white and not the best athlete, do you see Luc Longley in him too?  Mark Eaton perhaps?

« Reply #64 on: May 21, 2015, 08:03:37 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Kelly O.  ......could n't carry Birds water bucket.

« Reply #65 on: May 21, 2015, 08:31:58 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586

And a rather drastic one, at that.  True, Larry might not have had the hops of Dominique, Dr. J, or Worthy, etc., and he wasn't fast, but he did have excellent lateral quickness, in addition to all of the other things you listed.  Even in his final season, Bird moved better laterally, and in terms of overall speed, than KO.  It's rather insulting to even compare 33 to the billy goat ;), imo, lol ;D.

I think Bird being unathletic is just based on outer appearance and what he was like after injuries limited him at the end of his career.  I've heard knowledgeable people argue Bird was as athletic as Magic (and some will even say more athletic).

He's definitely more athletic than similarly sized guys like Zach Randolph or Antoine Walker, yet I've never heard anybody refer to those All-Stars as unathletic.  Probably about as athletic as Lamar Odom.

Just watch Bird highlites, sure he doesn't have a Blake Griffin vertical, but very few NBA players do. You can't say the dude is unathletic though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NX8ipponmSc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=br8UrvnyO4c
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 08:37:48 PM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #66 on: May 22, 2015, 11:41:17 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

I would actually say a lot of those same things about Kelly. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #67 on: May 22, 2015, 11:58:42 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

I would actually say a lot of those same things about Kelly.

Sure - as long as you remove the words "ridiculous," "magnificent," "amazing," "off the charts" and "great."

« Reply #68 on: May 22, 2015, 12:01:08 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Where's the "LOL" option in he poll?

« Reply #69 on: May 22, 2015, 03:03:51 PM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
A lot of the problem with Olynyk is just mentality. The guy clearly thinks he's just a try-hard role-player and that's become a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy. He's got some extraordinary and unique skills at least on the offensive end and if he was willing to be more assertive he could definitely be better than he is now.

Unfortunately, sometimes the mental blocks are much harder to get over than the physical ones.

Great words from a great man

« Reply #70 on: May 22, 2015, 03:05:03 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
A lot of the problem with Olynyk is just mentality. The guy clearly thinks he's just a try-hard role-player and that's become a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy. He's got some extraordinary and unique skills at least on the offensive end and if he was willing to be more assertive he could definitely be better than he is now.

Unfortunately, sometimes the mental blocks are much harder to get over than the physical ones.

Danny also stated that about 100 times the week they drafted him. (I didn't get that at all.)

« Reply #71 on: May 22, 2015, 03:06:29 PM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143

Danny also stated that about 100 times the week they drafted him. (I didn't get that at all.)

Managing expectations is usually a good idea for rookies, but I think it's backfired a bit.

Great words from a great man

« Reply #72 on: May 22, 2015, 03:22:44 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Ssesh..... Not much love for Olynyk here.

« Reply #73 on: May 22, 2015, 03:34:21 PM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!

Well when you regress considerably in your sophomore year..

« Reply #74 on: May 22, 2015, 03:52:36 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

Well when you regress considerably in your sophomore year..
not really. using per 36 minutes to make for a comparison here:

pts/game
2014 - 15.6
2015 - 16.6

rbs/game
2014 - 9.4
2015 - 7.7

asts/game
2014 - 2.8
2015 - 2.8

stl/game
2014 - 0.9
2015 - 1.6

blks/game
2014 - 0.7
2015 - 1.0

2pt%
2014 - 50%
2015 - 53.8%

3pt%
2014 - 35.1%
2015 - 34.9%

ft%
2014 - 81.1%
2015 - 68.4%

aside from ft% and maybe rebounds i dont see how olly could be termed as considerably regressing.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva