Author Topic: This guy is the most underrated pg that the celtics could get  (Read 1625 times)

Offline Hawkeye199

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 131
 I know some people have been trashing him on this blog but i think he can really be something.
As a rookie this year he played behind of a lot of guys and finally became a starter at the end of the season.
He is a 6'3 185 pound point guard 22 years old. He is Jordon clarkson

2014-15 Season
PPG   APG   RPG   PER     3pt%
11.9   3.5   3.2   16.94    .314

Scouting report
+ Shoot-first, shoot-second, shoot-third point guard.
+ Aggressive in attacking the basket. Drives to score, not to dish. Weak outside shooter.
+ Has enough size to play either backcourt spot. Defense could be plus against point guards.

He does not have a strong outside shot but bradley stevens is doing wonders with pressy and smart
I am sure he could coach this young kid to develop his outside shot
What I think stevens needs to do and can do is teach this kid to pass. He is an excellent scorer, a good passer and a good rebounder. However he has a low passer rating. With some coaching from our future hall of fame coach Brad Stevens I think those numbers will jump up in time.

Why He is available
As we all know he plays for the lakers. Why would they give up such a valuable rookie. Well it is not a very well kept secret that kobe really wants rondo. They also have a lottery pick which will most likely be d'angelo russel or mudiay who are point guards. Kobe is starting as a sg their is no way he will not start on the lakers.

Why Boston should get him
 We face a difficult decision right now. Whethier or not to go on way or the other. keep going young and develop players or cash in and go hard either way we are back in the playoffs next year.
 We have been praised for our great defense and our lacking offense. clarkson is a good not great defender. However he can hold his own. however he will bring a young dynamic scorer. something we really lack and need in the starting rotation. he moves to the point and makes smart our starting sg. smart is a sg because he much prefers playing off ball and has more success doing so. This allows bradley to be available to a trade. My theory send him to utah for their first round pick and booker.
Trade the 16 and 12 for stein

Hit free agency with
clarkson
smart
-
stein
-
As our starters
I would go after greg monroe hard and make him our center and make stein be pf.We can try for jimmy butler or kris middleton but if not spend rest of money solidifying the bench.

We would be a very young good team. we would have good rebounders a good defense and our offense lead by monroe and clarkson. with jimmy butler or middleton as our 3rd option smart as our fourth and stein our fifth. We are young keep most of our picks and continue to develop and amaze. plus clarkson is payed under a million dollars

What we would pay for him
 either clipper 2015 and  2016 boston or 2016 brooklyin pick not need to give up even a  player money works out here
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=kd7lbqc
zach lavine-jeremy lin-tyus jones
jeremy lamb-tyshen prince-Andre miller
will barton- beljina-
Kevin love-kevin garnet-payne
Karl anthoney Towns-JJ hickson

Re: This guy is the most underrated pg that the celtics could get
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 05:35:45 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Underrated? Just got voted to the All-Rookie First Team.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 05:42:49 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
We're not getting stein... Ever

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 05:50:22 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Trading two #1s, including a potential 2016 lottery pick, for Clarkson seems a bit rich to me.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2015, 05:51:57 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
Underrated? Just got voted to the All-Rookie First Team.

There really is no value in the all-rookie team. They are notoriously horrible. You can just look back to last year when plumlee, burke and Hardaway jr made the first team over Dieng and Giannis. Plumlee could barely stay in the nets rotation this year, and I'm not sure hardaway jr will get another contract past his rookie one based off this past season.

In 2011 Gary Neal and Landry Fields made it over Paul George, Eric Bledsoe and Greg Monroe. Another consideration is that Clarkson only got 2 points in the all rookie voting. A lot of people view him as an empty stat guy on a horrible team. Have to see him play on a team trying to win games with some decent players around him before determining if he is even NBA starter material.

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2015, 05:53:14 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
Trading two #1s, including a potential 2016 lottery pick, for Clarkson seems a bit rich to me.

Understatement of the century.

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2015, 05:59:39 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Patty Mills is hella underrated.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2015, 07:04:17 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

Understatement of the century.

Agreed, even though Clarkson is by far the much better scorer and shooter than Smart is right now. 

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2015, 09:27:12 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I'm really not sure Clarkson is as good (or has as high potential) a scorer as he's being given credit for.

Looking at his stats, he has so far averaged 17.1 points on 14.5 FGA which makes for a scoring rate of only 1.8 Points Per FGA. 

This is a pretty average (maybe even below average) number, and a fair indication of the fact that his decent scoring numbers have been more a result of him taking LOTS of field goal attempts, rather than him being an especially skilled scorer.

For reference, skilled scorers (KG, Ray Allen, Greg Monroe, etc) tend to a number between  0.22 - 0.28, excellent scorers (like Paul Pierce) tend to have a number in the 0.30 - 0.38 range, while scorers with absolutely elite scoring skills (James Harden, Magic Johnson, etc) tend to have a rate of 0.39 or higher.

A rate between 0.12 and 0.18 typically indicates a guy who shoots threes at a very inefficient rate, doesn't get to the line enough and/or shoots a mediocre percentage from the field.

In this case Clarkson made only 0.9 three-pointers per 36-minutes (which he made at a rate of only 31%) and has a free throw rate of 0.265 which is pretty average (for comparison purposes, Brandon Bass has a career FTR of 0.32).

He shot very good percentages from 0-3 feet (66.5%) and 10-16 feet (47.6%) but only 39% of his offense came from those two areas. 

He shot comparatively average percentages from 3-10 feet (32.4%), 16 feet to 3 point (38.6%) and 3 point (31.4%) and yet over 61% of his FGA came from those areas.

Don't get me wrong, the kid is a decent scorer, especially considering he's a rookie and a 2nd round pick...but all the stats indicate that he is a bit of a chucker with questionable shot selection.

I can see him becoming a Jordan Crawford / Jerryd Bayless / Marcus Thornton type of player, which can be useful on a team, but I don't see star potential.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 12:02:10 AM by crimson_stallion »