Author Topic: Chris Mcullough and Jordan Mickey with the 28 and 33 picks  (Read 8212 times)

Re: Chris Mcullough and Jordan Mickey with the 28 and 33 picks
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2015, 01:35:15 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I would rather have Christmas than McCullough if I had to pick a player from the Cuse.

I like Christmas with the 45.   He is older and does not have as high iq as  JM nor the skills/upside of CM

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2015, 05:30:21 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
As a Syracuse alumn and Celtics fan, this would make me simultaneously thrilled and p---ed off. I really thought Cuse had a chance to go very far with McCullough.

I love McCoullough's potential. I see him as a 4 in the NBA. He has skills. High ceiling on offense. More of a face-up guy, can drive and get to the line. Tremendous athleticism. Has a nice fadeaway and developing jump shot. I think he could be great on defense. He's skinny, but offers potential as a rim protector. Sometimes that's hard to gauge in the 2-3. However, he was able to man the middle for 'Cuse and really contested everything.

I really like what you're saying? but why does it p--s you off?
This kid can be a very good player who has elite physical tools.

Bc he wanted CM back in a cuse uniform next season.  He was going to lead the team. Syracuse is a big question mark next season

Okay. He should have stayed another year but something happened (still don't know what) that made him change decision.

You didnt hear about the recruiting scandal?

No, what happened?

I believe giving "gifts" to hs prospects which is against the NCAA rules.

I forget the punishment, but it was pretty severe and it was for more than 1 season

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2015, 08:54:55 AM »

Offline Greg

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 30
As a Syracuse alumn and Celtics fan, this would make me simultaneously thrilled and p---ed off. I really thought Cuse had a chance to go very far with McCullough.

I love McCoullough's potential. I see him as a 4 in the NBA. He has skills. High ceiling on offense. More of a face-up guy, can drive and get to the line. Tremendous athleticism. Has a nice fadeaway and developing jump shot. I think he could be great on defense. He's skinny, but offers potential as a rim protector. Sometimes that's hard to gauge in the 2-3. However, he was able to man the middle for 'Cuse and really contested everything.

Bc he wanted CM back in a cuse uniform next season.  He was going to lead the team. Syracuse is a big question mark next season

Okay. He should have stayed another year but something happened (still don't know what) that made him change decision.

No, what happened?

I forget the punishment, but it was pretty severe and it was for more than 1 season

It had to do with academic "advisors" taking on a little bit too much of a workload for the basketball players... academic fraud. I think we were all still pretty surprised at McCullough leaving, because the entire recruiting class stuck and

As for Christmas, I'd be a huge fan. I see him as a 10-20MPG energy guy/role player in the NBA. I knew him from an internship I did with the athletic department a few years ago. Awesome guy, mature player. I loved the progression in his post game, but at the same time, I don't know how he will be able to fare against taller, more athletic NBA competition. His athleticism should allow him to be effective in the pick and roll on both ends, and he appears to have really nice defensive instincts. But again, is that an effect of the 2-3? Hard to say. I'd be thrilled if Boston took him at 33 or 45, however.

As an aside, I should also mention that I was 100% against Boston selecting Fab Melo. Spoke about it passionately on here and the main site before the draft. But I do think either McCullough or Christmas would make a nice fit.

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2015, 09:52:30 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

No, what happened?

It had to do with academic "advisors" taking on a little bit too much of a workload for the basketball players... academic fraud. I think we were all still pretty surprised at McCullough leaving, because the entire recruiting class stuck and

As for Christmas, I'd be a huge fan. I see him as a 10-20MPG energy guy/role player in the NBA. I knew him from an internship I did with the athletic department a few years ago. Awesome guy, mature player. I loved the progression in his post game, but at the same time, I don't know how he will be able to fare against taller, more athletic NBA competition. His athleticism should allow him to be effective in the pick and roll on both ends, and he appears to have really nice defensive instincts. But again, is that an effect of the 2-3? Hard to say. I'd be thrilled if Boston took him at 33 or 45, however.

As an aside, I should also mention that I was 100% against Boston selecting Fab Melo. Spoke about it passionately on here and the main site before the draft. But I do think either McCullough or Christmas would make a nice fit.

Christmas ceiling is Speights/hickson imo.  Maybe add 10 pounds of weight, rework defenaive fundamentals and he could be a starter one day.

He got outplayed by Okafor when they met this past season.Just bullied at times. So he needs to get heavier/stronger  if he wants to battle heavy weights in the nba.

Relies on his athleticism a little too much sometimes. A guy like Mickey on the other hand  utilizes his athleticism but also is thinking out there at the same time

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2015, 07:36:15 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
I like CM a lot, but I think I prefer Cliff Alexander over Mickey at the 33 spot.  Alexander is a strong long player who has more potential IMO.  If he wasn't suspended over his mothers actions he would be talked about much higher in the draft.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/college/big-12/university-of-kansas/article21682113.html
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2015, 08:29:33 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Not interested in drafting big men from Syracuse.  That program just doesn't prepare players well for the NBA.  They're the anti-Duke.

Mickey seems like the sort of guy Ainge might like late in the 1st round.  Might work as an undersized third string center type.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2015, 09:00:07 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Not interested in drafting big men from Syracuse.  That program just doesn't prepare players well for the NBA.  They're the anti-Duke.

Mickey seems like the sort of guy Ainge might like late in the 1st round.  Might work as an undersized third string center type.

I agree with this. Syracuse does not prepare the players properly for the NBA.  High school players don't mind bc zone defense is a little easier to play plus all the gifts then can receive under the table lol

Mickey can be a backup pf. CBS is going to like the way he can defend and bail guys out, like crowder put him on the court more than expected

« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2015, 09:26:16 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

I agree with this. Syracuse does not prepare the players properly for the NBA.  High school players don't mind bc zone defense is a little easier to play plus all the gifts then can receive under the table lol

Mickey can be a backup pf. CBS is going to like the way he can defend and bail guys out, like crowder put him on the court more than expected
yes, this is correct. but let's be fair, jim beheim's job is not to prep players for the pros. his job is to win games for syracuse university. and he has been pretty good at the latter.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2015, 12:09:19 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I just watched his draft express video and I think he would be a good pick at 28. He has long arms, and can really jump, if he is molded correctly he could be a rim protector who can also switch onto 3's and guards in a switch. On offense he will be a god roll man in the pick and roll, if he tries to be more (at least initially) it will get ugly.

The weaknesses listed in his video have to do with two things, youth and poor coaching. He simply isn't ready now, but his potential is off the charts defensively and with NBA spacing his athleticism will shine. A lot of the mistakes he makes are things that can be coached out. I have faith he can correct the hitch in his shot, improve his selection and give us quality minutes when he is ready.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2015, 12:23:32 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
I just watched his draft express video and I think he would be a good pick at 28. He has long arms, and can really jump, if he is molded correctly he could be a rim protector who can also switch onto 3's and guards in a switch. On offense he will be a god roll man in the pick and roll, if he tries to be more (at least initially) it will get ugly.

The weaknesses listed in his video have to do with two things, youth and poor coaching. He simply isn't ready now, but his potential is off the charts defensively and with NBA spacing his athleticism will shine. A lot of the mistakes he makes are things that can be coached out. I have faith he can correct the hitch in his shot, improve his selection and give us quality minutes when he is ready.

Who are you talking about?
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2015, 01:36:28 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2015, 06:28:31 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2015, 07:24:48 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
yes, this is correct. but let's be fair, jim beheim's job is not to prep players for the pros. his job is to win games for syracuse university. and he has been pretty good at the latter.

Well, it depends on whether you think Jim Boheim's responsibility is solely to the school that pays him, or if you think he has any responsibility to consider the future of the players in his charge.

Is it entirely OK that he coaches the team in a way that helps the team have regular season success but doesn't help the players become successful basketball players in the future?  Isn't it his job as a coach to teach them the game in a way that makes them better?

This might turn on whether or not he makes any attempt to sell his recruits on his ability to prepare them for the pros.  Obviously Calipari seems to have a lot of pull with recruits because he can prepare them for the NBA.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2015, 09:04:04 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

Who are you talking about?
Jordan Mickey
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19