Author Topic: USA Today Mock Draft  (Read 6373 times)

Re: USA Today Mock Draft
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2015, 05:03:20 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
If Upshaw is at 28 I will be ecstatic.

Me too. But I highly, HIGHLY doubt it.

I made an argument that teams with Free Agent Centers, or no Centers, will quickly snag him if he's there at the early 20's. He's not going to last. If we really want him, we need to pick him at #16.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2015, 05:11:03 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

I made an argument that teams with Free Agent Centers, or no Centers, will quickly snag him if he's there at the early 20's. He's not going to last. If we really want him, we need to pick him at #16.

Doubt this. Way too much risk for him to go higher than late 1st/early 2nd rd. Aside from the character issues, there are concerns about his work ethic, his 43% FT shooting, and the ability to defend the pick and roll.

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2015, 05:26:31 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

Doubt this. Way too much risk for him to go higher than late 1st/early 2nd rd. Aside from the character issues, there are concerns about his work ethic, his 43% FT shooting, and the ability to defend the pick and roll.

The dude is raw, true, but he has legit size for a Center, showed in college that he can block shots and mobile enough to learn how to properly defend pick and rolls.

Here's the thing with me...

Dallas (pick 21) has no Center as Tyson Chandler is headed to Free Agency. Not to mention he's going to be 33 and could cost money to re-sign.

Portland (pick 23) has no Center as Robin Lopez is headed to Free Agency, and may take a pay increase to stay in Portland.

Memphis (pick 25) have BOTH Centers headed to Free Agency. While I can safely assume Marc Gasol will resign, they could easily pick Upshaw here to be able to not spend money for a back up Center.

San Antonio (pick 26). Have Centers but is known to take talent when they see them and lands on their laps, and Upshaw has that potential.

LA Lakers (pick 27) have no Center of relevance. They could snag him as their rim protector.

That's 5 teams before us at 28 who could potentially pick him, despite the issues he has, because it will make sense for them to do so. He's not going to drop a 28.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2015, 05:40:40 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

The dude is raw, true, but he has legit size for a Center, showed in college that he can block shots and mobile enough to learn how to properly defend pick and rolls.

Here's the thing with me...

Dallas (pick 21) has no Center as Tyson Chandler is headed to Free Agency. Not to mention he's going to be 33 and could cost money to re-sign.

Portland (pick 23) has no Center as Robin Lopez is headed to Free Agency, and may take a pay increase to stay in Portland.

Memphis (pick 25) have BOTH Centers headed to Free Agency. While I can safely assume Marc Gasol will resign, they could easily pick Upshaw here to be able to not spend money for a back up Center.

San Antonio (pick 26). Have Centers but is known to take talent when they see them and lands on their laps, and Upshaw has that potential.

LA Lakers (pick 27) have no Center of relevance. They could snag him as their rim protector.

That's 5 teams before us at 28 who could potentially pick him, despite the issues he has, because it will make sense for them to do so. He's not going to drop a 28.

Dallas would be a major reach at #21.

Upshaw in a state where marijuana is legal (like Oregon) seems like an awful mix.

In all likelihood Gasol is going to come back and Memphis primary need is shooting. So I expect them to target that in the draft.

Not the type of player SA usually targets in drafts. Maybe they'll make an exception.

LA is either taking Okafor or Towns, depending on what Minnesota does. Plus, they still have Hill and Sacre on the roster. They could take Upshaw, but they have other more pressing needs they need to fill.

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2015, 02:41:30 AM »

Offline greenhead85

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 35
Portis and Upshaw are really ok. I also like Rashad Vaughn - young (18 y/o) and has potential written all over his game.

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2015, 03:06:21 AM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
Upshaw in a state where marijuana is legal (like Oregon) seems like an awful mix.

If a grown man wants to get high, he will. The matter of its legality seems to carry little weight. If anything, I would think a pot-friendly state would pose fewer risks to a team looking to draft a stoner, because it greatly reduces the chances that this player will have run-ins with the law.

It sounds funny -- and I apologize if it's inappropriate -- but I think it's a legit point.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2015, 07:15:09 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Why do we all keep assuming that marijuana is Upshaw's only issue?  I haven't definitively heard that from a reliable source.

« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2015, 08:53:12 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Why do we all keep assuming that marijuana is Upshaw's only issue?  I haven't definitively heard that from a reliable source.

I keep asking myself that same question.  I think one of these days we'll learn that Robert Upshaw has some fairly serious addictions to drugs much stronger than marijuana.

Hopefully for him, whatever he's dealing with is something he'll be able to overcome.  Not just for his basketball future, but for his future in general. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2015, 04:42:08 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54

Remember when we all thought that Aaron Hernandez just had a weed problem?  Nope, he had a killing problem and a small weed problem.
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby