Author Topic: Just get 2 bigs  (Read 6762 times)

Just get 2 bigs
« on: May 19, 2015, 05:39:56 AM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123
Gasol
Cousins
Love
LMA
Chandler
Smith
Monroe
West
Kanter
Noah
Perk
Millsap
Brook Lopez
Jefferson
STAT
Hibbert
Jordan

I'm not saying we have a real shot at all of these guys, but there are a lot of guys, 4s and 5s that could change teams. I like what we got with the 1 2 and 3. We could keep a lot of our late season success buy just upgrading the 4 and 5. Fill in for X and Y:

X/Zeller
Y/Sully/KO
Turner/Crowder?
AB/IT
Smart/Pressey

I think there are a lot of combinations of more "getable" guys that make us a pretty good team next year. Cousins and LMA would be great but Chandler and Lopez might be enough help to get us to 45 or 50 wins.

Re: Just get 2 bigs
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 05:59:49 AM »

Offline GC003332

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 62
Gasol
Cousins
Love
LMA
Chandler
Smith
Monroe
West
Kanter
Noah
Perk
Millsap
Brook Lopez
Jefferson
STAT
Hibbert
Jordan

I'm not saying we have a real shot at all of these guys, but there are a lot of guys, 4s and 5s that could change teams. I like what we got with the 1 2 and 3. We could keep a lot of our late season success buy just upgrading the 4 and 5. Fill in for X and Y:

X/Zeller
Y/Sully/KO
Turner/Crowder?
AB/IT
Smart/Pressey

I think there are a lot of combinations of more "getable" guys that make us a pretty good team next year. Cousins and LMA would be great but Chandler and Lopez might be enough help to get us to 45 or 50 wins.
If the C's end up this off season with any One of STAT, West or Perk I might be forced to do what Ernest did. ;D

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 07:34:34 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I like what we got with the 1 2 and 3.

Bigs, I agree are our biggest hole.   It is well known that we need a scoring wing.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2382736-5-things-the-boston-celtics-must-address-during-the-2015-offseason

Everyone likes Crowder, but I would not build a team around him.   He is a glue guy but not a star.   ET was a retread, he had some nice games but he vanished in others.   We really need a guy who can create his own shot.   IT was the only guy that could down the stretch and he is small  and as the Cavs proved can be handled by a taller stronger player.

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 08:35:22 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I like what we have at all the positions, provided they were all coming off the bench behind quality starters.

we don't really have any starter-quality players at any position.  Smart may get there but I think as more of a combo guard paired with a good PG rather than as our starting PG.
AB, Crowder, Turner and IT are all bench-quality players.

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2015, 11:14:17 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
I feel confident that help is on the way. The Celtics have a admittedly small, but certain identity in the league. They play hard and defend. You need to get the right bigs that fit in, and play to what our strengths are.

I think DA see's this, and knows what this teams needs are. You can only hope that he gets the cooperation he needs to take the next step. Or just kicks open some doors!

If we wake up in Oct. and the team is basically the same, Zeller at center, Sully at PF, and Turner at SF. Then we can start pointing fingers.

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2015, 11:19:05 AM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
I like what we have at all the positions, provided they were all coming off the bench behind quality starters.

we don't really have any starter-quality players at any position.  Smart may get there but I think as more of a combo guard paired with a good PG rather than as our starting PG.
AB, Crowder, Turner and IT are all bench-quality players.

yeah upgrading at all 5 spots would be great But if we can only upgrade 1 or 2 spots lets make it the 4 and 5. the 5 is our weakest spot and the 4 has sully in a contract year. get a 4 and 5 and look to trade sully

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2015, 01:25:12 AM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
If we strike out on the big names, the more I think about it, the more I am liking the idea of going after both Chandler and Lopez. 2 year deals each. It gives us 2 more guys that can help and sticks the knife in Dal and Brooklyn a bit and we have their picks.

Chandler/Zeller
Lopez/Sully/KO
Turner/Crowder
AB/Young
Smart/IT

If you can't get a star, thats not a bad team. We'd still have all our picks and could look at deals where we upgrade spots (ie turner and picks for X or Lopez and picks for Y.)

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2015, 01:39:15 AM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1474
I feel confident that help is on the way. The Celtics have a admittedly small, but certain identity in the league. They play hard and defend. You need to get the right bigs that fit in, and play to what our strengths are.

I think DA see's this, and knows what this teams needs are. You can only hope that he gets the cooperation he needs to take the next step. Or just kicks open some doors!

If we wake up in Oct. and the team is basically the same, Zeller at center, Sully at PF, and Turner at SF. Then we can start pointing fingers.

I kind of feel the same as your last sentence.  We have a boatload of picks and lots of decent assets.  I will be disappointed if DA can't swing at least one decent move to upgrade our front court players.  We need at least one significant upgrade to the starting lineup before next year.

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2015, 04:22:41 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I thought this was about drafting two bigs. But the message is the same C's need some size FA or draft.

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2015, 06:24:46 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
The three or four non bigs I like won't be available anyway.

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2015, 08:58:53 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
If we strike out on the big names, the more I think about it, the more I am liking the idea of going after both Chandler and Lopez. 2 year deals each. It gives us 2 more guys that can help and sticks the knife in Dal and Brooklyn a bit and we have their picks.

Chandler/Zeller
Lopez/Sully/KO
Turner/Crowder
AB/Young
Smart/IT

If you can't get a star, thats not a bad team. We'd still have all our picks and could look at deals where we upgrade spots (ie turner and picks for X or Lopez and picks for Y.)
I don't like that at all.  You'd be committing big bucks to get Chandler and Lopez.  Chandler is almost 33 and Lopez is an injury waiting to happen.  If we can't get a top free agent, we need to focus on younger 2nd and 3rd tier free agents. 

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2015, 10:12:01 AM »

Offline Bosstown

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 32

Chandler/Zeller
Lopez/Sully/KO
Turner/Crowder
AB/Young
Smart/IT

Tyson Chandler and Brook Lopez starting TOGETHER? Besides the fact that one is on the wrong side of thirty and the other is injury prone, they wouldn't work that well together at this point in their careers. Maybe if Tyson was 26 and had the elite athleticism he once had, but at this point this lineup is asking to be exposed. Chandler can't guard the perimeter like he once could, he's strictly a protect the basket 5 at this point.

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2015, 10:31:03 AM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes

Chandler/Zeller
Lopez/Sully/KO
Turner/Crowder
AB/Young
Smart/IT

Tyson Chandler and Brook Lopez starting TOGETHER? Besides the fact that one is on the wrong side of thirty and the other is injury prone, they wouldn't work that well together at this point in their careers. Maybe if Tyson was 26 and had the elite athleticism he once had, but at this point this lineup is asking to be exposed. Chandler can't guard the perimeter like he once could, he's strictly a protect the basket 5 at this point.
i always found 'the wrong side of thirty' to be such a strange phrase

When you hear announcers on TV they'll say that if someone is declining and are at least 31 years old.  Wouldn't wrong side of thirty be 35 and older?

Just seems strange to me, haha
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2015, 01:37:48 AM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
It's not the best option, but if it it came down to take them or sit on your hands, it might be worth it IF it is for the short term. 2 years would make them pretty movable. When a trade comes along for a star we are going to need to send some salary back anyways. But hopefully something better will happen.

If 2 guys wanted to team up and win, we could make it happen. If Gasol and LMA teamed up in Boston that team would be better then both of their current teams. The same can be said for a lot of combinations. It's not as unlikely as it seems.

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2015, 11:35:03 PM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
What would be your dream scenario if we could add any 2 big men, but thats it, we'd match any offer on Crowder, let Gigi, Jerebko and Bass walk and use picks to make Wallace go away. Who would you pick?