Author Topic: Aldridge, Monroe, Green, Morrow  (Read 2907 times)

Aldridge, Monroe, Green, Morrow
« on: May 19, 2015, 01:07:12 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Hi guys,

Got a trade idea that I think could instantly propel this team to contender status, but I don't know enough about our cap situation to know if this would actually work. 

1: Sign Greg Monroe  (4 Years, $55.037M)
Boston signs UFA center Free Agent Greg Monroe to a maximum contract of 4 years, $55M (starting at $12.9M in the first year).

Boston's justification:
Monroe is 24 and is finished the season averaging 16/10/2 along with 50% / 75% shooting in 31 minutes.  That's 18.5 / 12 / 2.6 per 36 minutes, if he ever has the conditioning to play those minutes.  He's a dependable (missed only 32 games out of a possible 410) and consistent player (almost the same per-36 stats over the past  seasons) player who doesn't make many mistakes (2.2 TO) and isn't foul prone (2.2 PF).  He's a very low risk player with high upside, and an absolute bargain at this price

Monroe's justification:
Monroe wants out of Detroit - no doubt tired of the poor management, iffy coaching and constantly losing seasons.  Boston can offer him the maximum possible contract, a world-class GM, a coach who's raising eyebrows, and a spot on a playoff team that has endless potential.

I think this is a win-win for both player and team.

2: Trade for LaMarcus Aldridge
Portland sends: 
- LaMarcus Aldridge (Resigned for max $66M/4 - $15M this year)

Boston sends:
- Gerald Wallace ($10.11M, expiring in 2016)
- Evan Turner ($3.28M, expiring in 2016)
- Jared Sullinger (1.42M, expiring in 2016)
- 2015 Pick # 16 (via Celtics)
- 2016 1st Round Pick # 28 (via Brooklyn)

Portland's justification:
Aldridge is an UFA and can walk for nothing if he wants.  With this deal Portland gets a young, starting calibre PF (Sully) along with a versatile swingman  on a great deal (Turner), a decent first rounder from this year, and a potential lottery pick from next year (depending on how the Nets go).  That's a pretty decent return for a team that would otherwise get nothing.   

Aldridge's justification:
- Boston got just as far as Portland did in the playoffs this year
- Boston has a ton of assets, and plenty of potential to build around LMA
- Boston has great staff including an elite GM, a great young coach, and an owner not afraid to spend
- Boston fans and tradition
- Ability to join Monroe and form a dominant front court duo
- Monroe is most effective at C, so LMA can stick to his preferred PF spot

Boston's justification:
- Boston get's the a much needed superstar in LMA

3: Trade for Jeff Green
Memphis sends:
- Jeff Green

Boston sends:
- $9.2M Trade Exception (part of the exception generated by the Rondo trade)
- 2016 second round pick (via Dallas)

Boston's justification:
- Boston is in desperate need for a starting calibre Small Forward.  We traded Green because it looked like we'd have a long rebuild, but suddenly we're a playoff contender again.  With Monroe and LMA, Green would be able to add value as a 3rd offensive option and a guy who can defend elite small forwards - a perfect role for him. If worst case scenario it doesn't work, he becomes a $9M expiring contract after the 2015-16 season.

Memphis' justification:
- Jeff Green didn't really work out as they probably hoped.  This allows them to ditch his contract and pick up two second round picks in the process.

4: Sign Anthony Morrow (MLE)
Boston signs free agent SG Anthony Morrow to a Mid-Level Exception

Boston's justification:
Morrow is an elite shooter who can put up points in bunches and really stretch the floor - something Boston could greatly benefit from.

Boston's rotation after the moves
Greg Monroe / Tyler Zeller
LeMarcus Aldridge / Kelly Olynyk
Jeff Green / Jae Crowder
Avery Bradley / Anthony Morrow
Marcus Smart / Isaiah Thomas

I think this team instantly becomes a top 2 team in the east - I don't see anybody bar cleveland and MAYBE Atlanta (only if Milsap and Horford return) beating this team out West.

Thoughts?  Is this realistically possible? Would it make us a force?   

Re: Aldridge, Monroe, Green, Morrow
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 01:10:26 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
I stopped reading once I saw #3, lol ;D.

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 01:52:18 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
I stopped reading once I saw #3, lol ;D.

haha I know it seems crazy, but this specific scenario is actually a perfect fit for him. 

Our starting PG and SG spots are pretty solid...but if all the rest happened the only guys we have who could play SF are Crowder (who's recovering from what could be a major injury) and James Young (who is very unproven). 

Aldridge would be the clear #1 option, Monroe would be a clear #2, and Thomas is likely our clear #3. 

All we really need our starting SF to be able to do is:
(a) Spread the floor with decent outside shooting
(b) Take turns with Bradley as the #4 & #5 scoring options
(c) Play capable defense against the elite SF's in the league (Durant, Lebron, Carmello, George). 
(d) Have the athleticism to run the floor in transition

Jeff Green has already proven to us that he can do all of those things, you know he's not going going to stir trouble in the locker room, and as a bonus you know he's going to either have a huge game or hit huge clutch shot every 4th or 5th night.  You also know he's comfortable playing with Olynyk and AB.

Plus we'd probably get him for practically nothing (late second rounder and a TPE) and there is not likely to be any SF on the market who can give us better production for that type of cost.   

To be honest, I would only ever propose this idea if we were a starting SF away from being serious contender, and with a lineup like this I seriously think we would be.

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 02:02:01 AM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
Any reason why Monroe would choose Boston over NY ?

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2015, 02:04:45 AM »

Offline I told you so

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 10
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Morrow signed through 2017? ???

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2015, 02:12:25 AM »

Offline I told you so

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 10

I can think of several reasons:

1) More stable ownership and front office
2) Much better coach
3) No ball hogs like Carmelo
4) The opportunity to be the #1 player on a young, improving team
5) Atmosphere in the Garden -- 17 banners on the rafters

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2015, 02:38:39 AM »

Offline GC003332

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 62
Hi guys,

Got a trade idea that I think could instantly propel this team to contender status, but I don't know enough about our cap situation to know if this would actually work. 

1: Sign Greg Monroe  (4 Years, $55.037M)
Boston signs UFA center Free Agent Greg Monroe to a maximum contract of 4 years, $55M (starting at $12.9M in the first year).

Boston's justification:
Monroe is 24 and is finished the season averaging 16/10/2 along with 50% / 75% shooting in 31 minutes.  That's 18.5 / 12 / 2.6 per 36 minutes, if he ever has the conditioning to play those minutes.  He's a dependable (missed only 32 games out of a possible 410) and consistent player (almost the same per-36 stats over the past  seasons) player who doesn't make many mistakes (2.2 TO) and isn't foul prone (2.2 PF).  He's a very low risk player with high upside, and an absolute bargain at this price

Monroe's justification:
Monroe wants out of Detroit - no doubt tired of the poor management, iffy coaching and constantly losing seasons.  Boston can offer him the maximum possible contract, a world-class GM, a coach who's raising eyebrows, and a spot on a playoff team that has endless potential.

I think this is a win-win for both player and team.

2: Trade for LaMarcus Aldridge
Portland sends: 
- LaMarcus Aldridge (Resigned for max $66M/4 - $15M this year)

Boston sends:
- Gerald Wallace ($10.11M, expiring in 2016)
- Evan Turner ($3.28M, expiring in 2016)
- Jared Sullinger (1.42M, expiring in 2016)
- 2015 Pick # 16 (via Celtics)
- 2016 1st Round Pick # 28 (via Brooklyn)

Portland's justification:
Aldridge is an UFA and can walk for nothing if he wants.  With this deal Portland gets a young, starting calibre PF (Sully) along with a versatile swingman  on a great deal (Turner), a decent first rounder from this year, and a potential lottery pick from next year (depending on how the Nets go).  That's a pretty decent return for a team that would otherwise get nothing.   

Aldridge's justification:
- Boston got just as far as Portland did in the playoffs this year
- Boston has a ton of assets, and plenty of potential to build around LMA
- Boston has great staff including an elite GM, a great young coach, and an owner not afraid to spend
- Boston fans and tradition
- Ability to join Monroe and form a dominant front court duo
- Monroe is most effective at C, so LMA can stick to his preferred PF spot

Boston's justification:
- Boston get's the a much needed superstar in LMA

3: Trade for Jeff Green
Memphis sends:
- Jeff Green

Boston sends:
- $9.2M Trade Exception (part of the exception generated by the Rondo trade)
- 2016 second round pick (via Dallas)

Boston's justification:
- Boston is in desperate need for a starting calibre Small Forward.  We traded Green because it looked like we'd have a long rebuild, but suddenly we're a playoff contender again.  With Monroe and LMA, Green would be able to add value as a 3rd offensive option and a guy who can defend elite small forwards - a perfect role for him. If worst case scenario it doesn't work, he becomes a $9M expiring contract after the 2015-16 season.

Memphis' justification:
- Jeff Green didn't really work out as they probably hoped.  This allows them to ditch his contract and pick up two second round picks in the process.

4: Sign Anthony Morrow (MLE)
Boston signs free agent SG Anthony Morrow to a Mid-Level Exception

Boston's justification:
Morrow is an elite shooter who can put up points in bunches and really stretch the floor - something Boston could greatly benefit from.

Boston's rotation after the moves
Greg Monroe / Tyler Zeller
LeMarcus Aldridge / Kelly Olynyk
Jeff Green / Jae Crowder
Avery Bradley / Anthony Morrow
Marcus Smart / Isaiah Thomas

I think this team instantly becomes a top 2 team in the east - I don't see anybody bar cleveland and MAYBE Atlanta (only if Milsap and Horford return) beating this team out West.

Thoughts?  Is this realistically possible? Would it make us a force?   

How do you propose the scoring breakdown of that rotation, that team would have to score 140 a game to keep everybody happy with their touches.

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2015, 03:02:11 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
Jeff Green back?

Bwahaha!

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2015, 03:02:47 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo

Can't think of any reasons why he wouldn't.

1) Winning - the Celtics just made the playoffs and gave Cleveland at least SOME fight.  On the other hand the Knicks spent the end of the season battling for the wooden spoon.

2) The Celtics team team is full of young, hardworking guys with good attitudes and decent upside, along with a Coach that has proven he knows how to make the out of young talent.  The Knicks team has Carmello (who's approaching 30),  Bargnani (who nobody wants), a bunch of D-League guys and pretty unspectacular coach.

3) Boston has cap flexibility, a stack of young prospects, $25M in trade exceptions and something like 15 draft picks over the next 6 years...all of which can be used to add additional talent and improve the team over the next 1-5 years.  That's means this team has the talent and assets to remain relevant for years to come, along with a GM who has proven he's not afraid to (and knows how to) use them.  By comparison the Knicks have cap space, but they have very few draft picks, and their biggest trade exception is $7M, and none of their young players really have any trade value, and some of the most incompetent management in the business.   This means that the Knicks will probably be stuck in rebuilding mode for at least 3 years, which I doubt is appealing to a guy like Monroe.

4) New York's weather (as I understand it) is almost as bad as Boston's, so it's not like you're going to sunny LA.  Plus the Boston fans are famous for being just as loyal and crazy as the New York ones.

People may not realise, but the Celtics are in a very strong position right now - their recent playoff trip changes EVERYTHING for this team.  When you are a losing team with assets, then you're usually competing against all the other losing teams with assets (collecting assets is what losing teams do).  When you're a WINNING team with assets, the world is your oyster.

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2015, 03:03:34 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo

Kind of...just double checked and he is signed until the 2016-17 season.

Stupid website I looked at listed him as a 2015 free agent  ::)  :P  ;D

Still, SG is a pretty stacked position in this league, I'm sure we wouldn't have too much trouble finding a solid youngish SG to back up Bradley. Might even be able to acquire Morrow using one of our trade exceptions.

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2015, 03:16:37 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
How do you propose the scoring breakdown of that rotation, that team would have to score 140 a game to keep everybody happy with their touches.

Why is that?

The only guys on that team who really need the ball offensively, are LaMarcus Aldridge and Isaiah Thomas, who often won't be on the court together since Thomas is leading the second unit.

Greg Monroe has never attempted more than 12-13 FGA per game his entire career, so he's not exactly the "me, me" kind of player.  When Aldridge is on the court he's your #1 and Monroe is your #2 guy.  When Aldridge sits, Monroe and Thomas share the offensive load.  Both of those combinations are deadly and will give opposing teams fits.

Neither Jeff Green nor Avery Bradley is a go-to scorers by nature.  They are both quiet and modest guys who would probably be happier if the spotlight is on somebody else.  Both have had to score when playing for us because we had nobody else, and so they were pushed into bigger offensive roles then they're probably comfortable with. Both of those guys were happy enough however, when they were behind Pierce/KG/Ray in the offense, so I doubt they'd have any issues playing behind Aldridge/Monroe/Thomas.

Smart so far has been been a defense-first guy who doesn't seem to care what he's being asked to do on the team, as long as it's helping them win.

Ditto with Crowder.

Olynyk is more of a Bradley / Green type guy in that he's quiet and modest - doesn't need the spotlight, happy to just sit in the background and do the little things.  He's a great passer, a very good offensive rebounder and a good catch-and-shoot guy.  He'll find a way to fit on any team.

Similar deal for Zeller - he's a modest kid, doesn't expect to be heavily featured in the offense - just wants a chance to be out there and contribute.

Morrow has been playing a bench role for years as a designated shooter, doesn't need to feel like he's a #1 guy.  Can work happily as a complementary piece.

That's why I like the idea of this team so much - because all of our young guys have such modest egos, it's a very easy team to build around.  You can bring a couple of greedy, ball hungry guys here and it doesn't really hurt because everybody else is pretty happy just playing their little role on the side - whatever that may be.

I think that's a big reason why Thomas fit in so well here.  If anything our guys are too hesitant, too unselfish - they probably LONG for a teammate or two who can take over the game on demand. 
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 03:22:24 AM by crimson_stallion »

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2015, 04:29:21 AM »

Offline GC003332

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 62
Just using this season's stats as an example
Monroe 15.9 /Zeller 10.2
Aldridge 23.4 /Olynyk 10.3
Green 17.6 Boston 13.1 Memphis / Crowder 3.6 Dallas 9.5 Boston
Bradley 13.9 / Morrow 10.7
Smart 7.8 / IT 19.0 Boston 15.2 Phoenix

Which one of these guys would you say has peaked as a player and is on the downside of their careers?
Zeller and Olynyk are still being developed and their trade value increased, so no point in making them 5-10 minute backups at this point in their careers.
Monroe wants his max deal and to showcase his full potential.
Aldridge is your number one option.
Green if he opts in this summer wants his numbers for his next deal.
IT wants to be a starter so he ain't giving it up.
Marcus hasn't even touched his real level as a player yet, so he needs to be developed.
Crowder has just started to play his first big minutes of his NBA career so he wants to keep that going.
Bradley still only 24 , he doesn't want to regress as a player and have his role reduced yet.
Morrow need his minutes to get his shots up.
It is great in theory but I think too many of those guys are being asked to sacrifice at this stage of their careers.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 04:42:40 AM by GC003332 »

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2015, 05:11:31 AM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
If you're bringing in a big time scorer like Aldridge, doesn't it make more sense to pair him with a defense-first center that might come here like Biyombo or Asik? I do like the outside of the box thinking of reacquiring Green. I'm not sure that I agree, but it is an interesting idea since you would be giving up very little for him. Hopefully, Young in his second year will bring some of what Morrow might have given us if he were a free agent.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 05:22:53 AM by Irish Stew »

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2015, 06:31:24 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
This doesn't work under the CBA for a few reasons.

First, we would need to renounce our trade exceptions to utilize max cap room.

Second, we can't talk to free agents until July, after the draft. Thus, we couldn't include 2015 picks in a sign-and-trade.

Third, if we use cap space, we lose use of the full MLE, and instead get a much lower "room exception".

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2015, 07:33:37 AM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
Might even be able to acquire Morrow using one of our trade exceptions.

Nope, no way that would happen. OKC's not going to dump Morrow. His shooting is a necessity.