Poll

KG or Duncan

KG
6 (50%)
Duncan
6 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Voting closed: May 28, 2015, 10:57:45 PM

Author Topic: Prime KG or Prime Duncan?  (Read 4409 times)

Prime KG or Prime Duncan?
« on: May 18, 2015, 10:56:22 PM »

Offline CelticSK

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 1
Ever since last year, everyone seems to have made up their in their minds that Duncan is the greatest power forward ever...except me. I still think KG was the better player, when you don't think about the accolades like all stars, mvps, championships, etc. but just their skills in basketball. I always thought Prime Garnett was just as good or better of a post defender/shooter, shot blocker, midrange shooter, passer, rebounder as Prime Duncan was plus a better perimeter defender because he could guard point guards and had fast hands for steals. And he was a better trash talker 8)  How does everyone else think? when just comparing the primes? for example, if you could build a team that lasts 5 years around a 25 year old garnett or a 25 year old duncan and the other players on the roster would be the same, good but not great players. who would you choose? I'm all KG

Re: Prime KG or Prime Duncan?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2015, 10:58:25 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I still take Duncan.  I put him in the top ten players of all time.

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2015, 11:01:31 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Duncan. The winning matters. 

KG was arguably more versatile, but for traditional big man skills in the post, give me Duncan.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2015, 11:13:03 PM »

Online freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
Duncan by a nose.  KG, even in his prime, shied away from the ball in crunch time.  Duncan didn't.

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2015, 11:30:23 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
For a narrow definition of prime, KG had the better three-year statistical peak.  For a wider definition of prime, Duncan's prime lasted much longer.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2015, 11:42:03 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Duncan for the winning and coming up big in big games.  I think KG could do more but he just didn't win enough to come out on top in this argument.

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2015, 11:43:37 PM »

Offline 317

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 25
i think the real difficulty here is that Duncan had a much better supporting cast during his prime then KG did. i think that there very best KG has a very slight edge, but only for maybe 2 seasons against Duncan's best 2 seasons. Duncan was better at the start and much better at the end.

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2015, 11:54:18 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
Kyle Gass (tenacious d) or Duncan Idaho (Dune series)?

I'll go with duncan idaho for fightin'. Kyle gass for rockin'

Kielbasa Sausage

Garnett vs. Duncan? Well, in their primes, i'd take the guy who could guard almost every position, dish the ball like a boss, and had a sweeeeeet turn around shimmy shake j.
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2015, 11:57:06 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Duncan. The winning matters. 

KG was arguably more versatile, but for traditional big man skills in the post, give me Duncan.

Give me KG with Pop.

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2015, 12:05:13 AM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
For a narrow definition of prime, KG had the better three-year statistical peak.  For a wider definition of prime, Duncan's prime lasted much longer.
TP

all too true
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2015, 12:06:23 AM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
Ever since last year, everyone seems to have made up their in their minds that Duncan is the greatest power forward ever...except me. I still think KG was the better player, when you don't think about the accolades like all stars, mvps, championships, etc. but just their skills in basketball. I always thought Prime Garnett was just as good or better of a post defender/shooter, shot blocker, midrange shooter, passer, rebounder as Prime Duncan was plus a better perimeter defender because he could guard point guards and had fast hands for steals. And he was a better trash talker 8)  How does everyone else think? when just comparing the primes? for example, if you could build a team that lasts 5 years around a 25 year old garnett or a 25 year old duncan and the other players on the roster would be the same, good but not great players. who would you choose? I'm all KG
i'm honored to give you your first TP for bringing up this topic
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2015, 07:01:19 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
i think the real difficulty here is that Duncan had a much better supporting cast during his prime then KG did. i think that there very best KG has a very slight edge, but only for maybe 2 seasons against Duncan's best 2 seasons. Duncan was better at the start and much better at the end.
Duncan by a nose.  KG, even in his prime, shied away from the ball in crunch time.  Duncan didn't.
I agree with freshinthehouse, Duncan by a nose for the reasons he gave. But 317 makes a point that can't be ignored. Garnett dragged some really terrible rosters to big regular season win totals during the '00s. If KG had Popovich, a mentor like Robinson, help like Parker and Ginobili, and the annual rotating cast of intelligent Spurs role players he might've won a title or two in Minnestoa. Bad luck.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2015, 07:05:22 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
KG for the versatility and being the greatest competitor in NBA history.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2015, 07:06:07 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
I would take Garnett in his best season over Duncan in his, but obviously Duncan held onto to stardom longer than Garnett did.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2015, 07:09:04 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
KG.

Love both, but KG did more with less.