Author Topic: Phil Jackson: Twolves almost traded KG to Lakers in 2007  (Read 7122 times)

Phil Jackson: Twolves almost traded KG to Lakers in 2007
« on: May 18, 2015, 10:25:50 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Phil Jackson: Dr. [Jerry] Buss came to me and said, “I have a handshake agreement with Taylor, that he’s going to come to L.A. But McHale hasn’t concurred yet.” So I said, “Well that’s a good excuse.” You always, as an owner, say, “I’ll do this, but …” So I kept that hope out there, that he was gonna be a part of the Laker organization.

Glen Taylor: Odom, I was a little afraid of. I thought Bynum was gonna be a star.

Andy Miller: I think that what McHale was looking for, on top of picks, was a core young piece, and he was infatuated with Al Jefferson at the time.

Glen Taylor: It became the Lakers, and it became Boston. And they both said, what does [Garnett] want to get paid? And I told them what he wants to get paid. I told them the kind of contract. And those two teams said they would do it.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/05/18/phil-jackson-says-lakers-and-timberwolves-had-handshake-agreement-on-kevin-garnett-trade-in-2007/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs

I guess we owe Kevin McHale a big thank you, since it seems like he stood up to ownership and sent KG where he belonged.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Phil Jackson: Twolves almost traded KG to Lakers in 2007
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2015, 10:32:27 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
Phil Jackson: Dr. [Jerry] Buss came to me and said, “I have a handshake agreement with Taylor, that he’s going to come to L.A. But McHale hasn’t concurred yet.” So I said, “Well that’s a good excuse.” You always, as an owner, say, “I’ll do this, but …” So I kept that hope out there, that he was gonna be a part of the Laker organization.

Glen Taylor: Odom, I was a little afraid of. I thought Bynum was gonna be a star.

Andy Miller: I think that what McHale was looking for, on top of picks, was a core young piece, and he was infatuated with Al Jefferson at the time.

Glen Taylor: It became the Lakers, and it became Boston. And they both said, what does [Garnett] want to get paid? And I told them what he wants to get paid. I told them the kind of contract. And those two teams said they would do it.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/05/18/phil-jackson-says-lakers-and-timberwolves-had-handshake-agreement-on-kevin-garnett-trade-in-2007/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs

I guess we owe Kevin McHale a big thank you, since it seems like he stood up to ownership and sent KG where he belonged.

that was a nice quick read...McHale in his head was like (well, Boston and LA both like KG...but man do I hate LA...)

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2015, 10:49:38 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

Now I hope the Rockets win the championship!!

Thank you number 32!!!

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2015, 10:49:40 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Do you remember this trade rumor:

Trade discussions initially involved the Lakers, Wolves, Pacers and a fourth team, and sources told ESPN that that team was the Celtics. They would have gotten Jermaine O'Neal from the Pacers and sent young players to the Wolves. The Lakers would have gotten Garnett, while the Pacers would have landed Los Angeles forward Lamar Odom and center Andrew Bynum. Minnesota would also have acquired at least one of the teams' draft picks, possibly Boston's No. 5 in Thursday's draft.

Later on Monday, the Times reported that the deal in that form had fallen apart because the Celtics did not like their end of the deal. According to the newspaper, the Lakers and Timberwolves continued discussions, trying to broker a deal just between the two teams.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2015, 10:58:49 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
I believe this has been out before in one form or another.

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2015, 11:05:02 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I think it's common knowledge that the Lakers wanted him, but I had never heard that there was a handshake deal at the ownership level.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2015, 11:16:56 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923

I think it's common knowledge that the Lakers wanted him, but I had never heard that there was a handshake deal at the ownership level.

I believe you are correct on that.

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2015, 11:32:30 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
To all those who might believe we were gifted KG:

Bynum had a better peak than big al, but one of these guys is still in the league

I remember hearing somewhere that mchale  was worried about bynum's glass knees

Also, (since we're talking KG and Mchale) one of my favorite heart warming/breaking NBA moments ever. I teared up big time

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bcYQs4C5TCI
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2015, 12:34:52 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

Bynum had a better peak than big al, but one of these guys is still in the league

Also, (since we're talking KG and Mchale) one of my favorite heart warming/breaking NBA moments ever. I teared up big time

We were gifted KG, and taking a flyer on Bynum over Jefferson does not seem at all unreasonable to me. I'd have done it... Jefferson's ceiling was his current status.. 3rd best player on a championship team, liability on defense.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2015, 01:11:17 AM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen

We were gifted KG, and taking a flyer on Bynum over Jefferson does not seem at all unreasonable to me. I'd have done it... Jefferson's ceiling was his current status.. 3rd best player on a championship team, liability on defense.
you lost me when you said you'd take the bum with no knees who's out of the league...

Even in hindsight? Dang, anything to rob ainge of any credit whatsoever
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2015, 01:19:28 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
I love how this is still irritating Phil Jackson.  Screw the lakers, they get anyone they want for nothing, blackmail other gms into not taking who they want (Kobe), and blatantly rip off opposing teams by trading a guy who is no longer in the league in Bynum for Dwight Howard, and thank god that Howard left.  That was truly a great day ;D.

They don't have to worry, though.  We all know that the league will hand them the number one pick on a silver platter (no pun intended, but deng, that's actually not that bad, lol ;D) tomorrow night.  It's either them or the Knicks for me.  The league always loves it when New York and the Lakers do well, in addition to Chicago.  Ugh.

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2015, 01:22:36 AM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
I love how this is still irritating Phil Jackson.  Screw the lakers, they get anyone they want for nothing, blackmail other gms into not taking who they want (Kobe), and blatantly rip off opposing teams by trading a guy who is no longer in the league in Bynum for Dwight Howard, and thank god that Howard left.  That was truly a great day ;D.

They don't have to worry, though.  We all know that the league will hand them the number one pick on a silver platter (no pun intended, but deng, that's actually not that bad, lol ;D) tomorrow night.  It's either them or the Knicks for me.  The league always loves it when New York and the Lakers do well, in addition to Chicago.  Ugh.
screw the lakers indeed

TP

It is definitely disgusting the way they have been handed players in the past

It's why i kinda want dwight and the rockets to win. Stick it to 'em, ya know?
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2015, 01:23:42 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

Perhaps not, but I wouldn't have done that deal after seeing the report on Bynum's knees, either, lol ;D. The only way such a swap could have worked, imo, is if KG had been in Phoenix at the time, because if anyone can prolong the career of someone with Bynum's knees it's the Suns' medical staff. 

Alternatively, maybe McHale didn't want to see his home state defiled by any and all members of the kardashians, lol ;D. Works for me! ;D

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2015, 01:28:42 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

screw the lakers indeed

TP

It is definitely disgusting the way they have been handed players in the past

It's why i kinda want dwight and the rockets to win. Stick it to 'em, ya know?

I just want Kobe to wallow in nothing but absolute crap for the rest of his career, but in not so bad a state, team-wise, that results in the lakers returning to the lottery ;) ;D. That way, he'll understand how KG and Pierce felt during the first halves of their respective careers - their young, prime years :'(. It can't undo anything, no, but it's the closest that we can get to karmic justice, imo, lol ;D. What a whiner.

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2015, 02:01:00 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990

Respect to this coach. I absolutely hate rooting for clowns like James Harden and Dwight Howard, but I wouldn't mind Kevin McHale winning another ring.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)