Author Topic: PF - Jordan Mickey vs Kentucky highlights  (Read 17715 times)

Re: PF - Jordan Mickey vs Kentucky highlights
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2015, 07:03:06 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Also re watchting that Kentucky vs Lsu game, he was good in the 1st half and did not provide much impact in the 2nd half.  It was Mickey that did
  Which means the Kentucky D was keyed on him, the greater threat.

« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2015, 07:29:37 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Also re watchting that Kentucky vs Lsu game, he was good in the 1st half and did not provide much impact in the 2nd half.  It was Mickey that did
  Which means the Kentucky D was keyed on him, the greater threat.

Not really.  You think Towns or WCS can't handle Martin on their own??

It's not like Mickey got 3 or 4 freebee putbacks.

Mickey had to work for most of his buckets in the 2nd half against two good defenders (WCS, Johnson).

On the defensive end Mickey had to provide weakside help on a few occasions (you saw the block).   

Martin and Mickey did a good job vs Kentucky trees. Better than most frontcourt units

Right now the Celts have interest in Mickey (interview and bringing him in for a workout).  I'm hoping actually they bring in Mickey at the same time they do Upshaw and Christmas.   Let them battle it out

« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2015, 11:44:01 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I really hope Mickey is a Celtic next season.    Since KG left we have had zero shot blocking presence

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mq4HB1c7W_4

« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2015, 11:57:24 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I actually like him but I do think he is undersized a bit in terms of height.    We have a lot of problems with teams with size.   I would be happy if we got him at 33.

« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2015, 12:00:45 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I actually like him but I do think he is undersized a bit in terms of height.    We have a lot of problems with teams with size.   I would be happy if we got him at 33.

He will not be available at 33.  May not be even at 28.

His shot blocking capability is elite level.  How many 6'8 guys have you seen before able to block shots from standstill?  There is a list of 6'10-6'11 guys that can't even block shots from standstill. He covers so much ground also.   Opponents have to think on the floor before driving in

« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2015, 09:11:24 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2015, 09:34:28 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

His shot blocking capability is elite level.  How many 6'8 guys have you seen before able to block shots from standstill?  There is a list of 6'10-6'11 guys that can't even block shots from standstill. He covers so much ground also.   Opponents have to think on the floor before driving in

DExpress 31
Draft Net 36
ESPN (Ford) 37
USA Today 35

Basketball Insiders 4 writers, including Kyler and Kennedy, and none have him in the 1st rd.
http://www.basketballinsiders.com/2015-nba-mock-draft-consensus-ver-5-0/

Jeff Goodman (ESPN) doesn't have him in the 1st rd either. Neither does Mannix (CNNSI).

« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2015, 09:37:25 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

DExpress 31
Draft Net 36
ESPN 37
USA Today 35

Basketball Insiders (4 writers including Kyler and Kennedy and neither have him in the 1st rd)

Jeff Goodman doesn't have him in the 1st rd either. Neither does Mannix.

and?? Like I have stated numerous times, after about top 15-17 picks  it gets very difficult to predict the 2nd half of the 1st round picks.   As for the 2nd round, you might as well not even try.  Some mocks had player x , y ,z  at 38, 41 picks etc. Only for those players to go undrafted.  (example CJ Leslie)

« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2015, 09:41:58 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

DExpress 31
Draft Net 36
ESPN (Ford) 37
USA Today 35

Basketball Insiders 4 writers, including Kyler and Kennedy, and none have him in the 1st rd.

Jeff Goodman (ESPN) doesn't have him in the 1st rd either. Neither does Mannix (CNNSI).

Eddie20 try to come up with your own conclusion a little, instead of relying on Chad Ford.  I bet your mock (without the help of Ford) would be just as good as a guess (especially after the 17th pick).

Like CBS has stated recently "We're just looking for basketball players that bring transferable skills to this level."   

A guy like Lebryan Nash might of not had the college career many had expected but I bet he turns out to be a better pro than at least 5 1st round drafted players.   

« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2015, 09:47:23 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

DExpress 31
Draft Net 36
ESPN 37
USA Today 35

Basketball Insiders (4 writers including Kyler and Kennedy and neither have him in the 1st rd)

and?? Like I have stated numerous times, after about top 15-17 picks  it gets very difficult to predict the 2nd half of the 1st round picks.   As for the 2nd round, you might as well not even try.  Some mocks had player x , y ,z  at 38, 41 picks etc. Only for those players to go undrafted.  (example CJ Leslie)

The point is that you're definitely stating he will not be available when there are various opinions stating predicting he won't even go in the 1st rd. Your player example actually applies to Mickey. Maybe he goes undrafted.

Mickey could have a long career or he could be out of the league entirely in a few years. My point is that historically speaking undersized players that blocked shots in college is not a skill set that transferred over to the NBA. In addition, with all the stretch 4's out there, Mickey will be further away from the basket than he's ever been and he'll ask to cover more in space than he will be asked to be around the rim protecting it. Can he do it? Time will tell, but I'm sure teams have gotten a good indication of it during the workouts and he's not exactly climbing mock draft boards.

« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2015, 10:00:34 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

DExpress 31
Draft Net 36
ESPN 37
USA Today 35

The point is that you're definitely stating he will not be available when there are various opinions stating predicting he won't even go in the 1st rd. Your player example actually applies to Mickey. Maybe he goes undrafted.

Mickey could have a long career or he could be out of the league entirely in a few years. My point is that historically speaking undersized players that blocked shots in college is not a skill set that transferred over to the NBA. In addition, with all the stretch 4's out there, Mickey will be further away from the basket than he's ever been and he'll ask to cover more in space than he will be asked to be around the rim protecting it. Can he do it? Time will tell, but I'm sure teams have gotten a good indication of it during the workouts and he's not exactly climbing mock draft boards.

Eddie20 since you like to look at mock drafts etc.  why don't you rewatch the draftexpress video on Mickey. Watch my highlight video on Mickey vs Kentucky and the recent one I just posted.

You actually need to watch a game of Mickey playing from start to finish (vs Kentucky will do and it's on youtube) , instead of saying he is 6'8, he has little to no chance. 1st of all 6'8 is an acceptable height for a PF.  6'8 and taller.    There are many 6'8, 6'9 pfs in the NBA. Good pfs.  Being 6'10, or 6'11 but without a great wingspan nor jumping ability nor good timing to grab rebounds /block shots does not mean the player has an adv over a 6'8 guy.  I'm sure you can agree

Also your statement about "how many undersized super shot blockers came from college but failed to stay on the floor in the NBA" is a valid point. I'm well aware of this point.  That is why when I look at Mickey, I see detail in his game that makes him an exception.   He knows how to position his body to deny entry passes. He does not get pushed around easily (evidence vs Kentucky trees) - is a physical player and 240 pounds/length to makeup.  He does not make dumb mistakes, especially on the defensive end.    It's not just about another 6'8 pf that was a super shot blocker in college. Not another 6'8 super shot blocker from college , with avg wingspan and jumping ability that somehow is going to be a terror shot blocker in the nba

« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2015, 12:21:58 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

DExpress 31
Draft Net 36
ESPN 37
USA Today 35

Eddie20 since you like to look at mock drafts etc.  why don't you rewatch the draftexpress video on Mickey. Watch my highlight video on Mickey vs Kentucky and the recent one I just posted.

You actually need to watch a game of Mickey playing from start to finish (vs Kentucky will do and it's on youtube) , instead of saying he is 6'8, he has little to no chance. 1st of all 6'8 is an acceptable height for a PF.  6'8 and taller.    There are many 6'8, 6'9 pfs in the NBA. Good pfs.  Being 6'10, or 6'11 but without a great wingspan nor jumping ability nor good timing to grab rebounds /block shots does not mean the player has an adv over a 6'8 guy.  I'm sure you can agree

Also your statement about "how many undersized super shot blockers came from college but failed to stay on the floor in the NBA" is a valid point. I'm well aware of this point.  That is why when I look at Mickey, I see detail in his game that makes him an exception.   He knows how to position his body to deny entry passes. He does not get pushed around easily (evidence vs Kentucky trees) - is a physical player and 240 pounds/length to makeup.  He does not make dumb mistakes, especially on the defensive end.    It's not just about another 6'8 pf that was a super shot blocker in college. Not another 6'8 super shot blocker from college , with avg wingspan and jumping ability that somehow is going to be a terror shot blocker in the nba

This is what draft express has:

Mickey isn't a great scorer around the rim for a player his size, as he struggled with bigger defenders due to his average 8-10 standing reach. He converted just 50% of his attempts at the rim according to Synergy Sports Technology, a very poor rate for a big man, and will need to find ways to score in the paint against NBA defenders to not be an offensive liability. He has an uphill battle ahead of him, but if he can leverage his athletic tools with his length, he may be able to overcome his lack of height. He can also do a better job of drawing contact, as he attempts just 5.0 free throws per 40 minutes pace adjusted.

Mickey's feel for the game has a lot of room to continue to improve, as he is a very poor passer at this stage, with a -6.47 PPR that ranked 3rd worst among all prospects in our Top-100. NBA coaches tend to trust role players who they know can be counted on to not turn the ball over, so doing a better job of sticking to his strengths will be beneficial.

Mickey is an average offensive rebounder, using his quickness to rebound outside his area, pulling down 3.4 per 40 minutes pace adjusted, which ranked 14th among 22 power forwards in the DX Top-100. He's also just a decent defensive rebounder, grabbing 7.1 defensive rebounds per 40 minutes adjusted, which is unremarkable. His total rebounds of 10.4 per 40 minutes pace adjusted is just an average mark for power forwards in our top 100 and he will need to concentrate on this skill by using his aggressiveness and effort to fill a role at the next level.

Mickey's motor tends to run hot and cold, as he doesn't always play with the same intensity level, and his production level and consistency left something to be desired at times for LSU. A lot of that could be said for their team as a whole, but Mickey will need to bring a more consistent energy and focus level if he's to be trusted a role-player off the bench considering his limitations offensively.

Mickey is considered a prospect due to his physical tools and defensive versatility, but he will need to show he can make an impact next to NBA level athletes and contribute offensively and on the glass as well. A team drafting in the second round could take a chance on him based on his solid tools and try to develop him into a role player. If he can't make a NBA rotation right away, a few improvements to his offensive game could allow him to find a roster spot sometime down the line in his career.

« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2015, 12:36:03 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

DExpress 31
Draft Net 36
ESPN 37
USA Today 35

This is what draft express has:

Mickey isn't a great scorer around the rim for a player his size, as he struggled with bigger defenders due to his average 8-10 standing reach. He converted just 50% of his attempts at the rim according to Synergy Sports Technology, a very poor rate for a big man, and will need to find ways to score in the paint against NBA defenders to not be an offensive liability. He has an uphill battle ahead of him, but if he can leverage his athletic tools with his length, he may be able to overcome his lack of height. He can also do a better job of drawing contact, as he attempts just 5.0 free throws per 40 minutes pace adjusted.

Mickey's feel for the game has a lot of room to continue to improve, as he is a very poor passer at this stage, with a -6.47 PPR that ranked 3rd worst among all prospects in our Top-100. NBA coaches tend to trust role players who they know can be counted on to not turn the ball over, so doing a better job of sticking to his strengths will be beneficial.

Mickey is an average offensive rebounder, using his quickness to rebound outside his area, pulling down 3.4 per 40 minutes pace adjusted, which ranked 14th among 22 power forwards in the DX Top-100. He's also just a decent defensive rebounder, grabbing 7.1 defensive rebounds per 40 minutes adjusted, which is unremarkable. His total rebounds of 10.4 per 40 minutes pace adjusted is just an average mark for power forwards in our top 100 and he will need to concentrate on this skill by using his aggressiveness and effort to fill a role at the next level.

Mickey's motor tends to run hot and cold, as he doesn't always play with the same intensity level, and his production level and consistency left something to be desired at times for LSU. A lot of that could be said for their team as a whole, but Mickey will need to bring a more consistent energy and focus level if he's to be trusted a role-player off the bench considering his limitations offensively.

Mickey is considered a prospect due to his physical tools and defensive versatility, but he will need to show he can make an impact next to NBA level athletes and contribute offensively and on the glass as well. A team drafting in the second round could take a chance on him based on his solid tools and try to develop him into a role player. If he can't make a NBA rotation right away, a few improvements to his offensive game could allow him to find a roster spot sometime down the line in his career.

What do you expect Mickey to do playing out of position Eddie20?  He was playing center when he is really a pf.   If you saw him operate against the Kentucky trees, you know he can score against bigger players using his quickness/explosiveness.  in addition utilizing work in progress jump shot (just needs to refine, consistency).  And offense is not his calling card. Not even offensive rebounding. It's his defense that is the specialty

I never said to get mickey for his offense.   Why don't you post something about his defense, shot blocking . See what the rave is about

« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2015, 12:44:11 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Eddie20, why don't also post WCS weaknesses on the offensive end

« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2015, 12:48:08 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
What do you expect Mickey to do playing out of position Eddie20?  He was playing center when he is really a pf.   If you saw him operate against the Kentucky trees, you know he can score against bigger players using his quickness/explosiveness.  in addition work in progress jump shot.  But offense is not his calling card. Not even offensive rebounding. It's his defense that is his specialty

I never said to get mickey for his offense.   Why don't you post something about his defense, shot blocking . See what the rave is about

So let me get this straight, you want us to get a player who you acknowledge is undersized for the PF spot, isn't good offensively, struggles scoring inside vs length, can't stretch the floor, is not a great rebounder (this is actually a skill that translates well at the next level), and his main skill is shot blocking (which doesn't historically translate well at the next level for a player his height)?

You also mentioned him going up against centers. You do realize that most college centers are equal to PF's in terms of size. He struggled rebounding and scoring against college centers. How is he going to better those numbers against bigger, stronger, and much more talented players than the ones you admitted he struggled against.

What's happening is that you started these threads on Mickey and prematurely started raving about him. When there are questions about his shortcomings you refute that and simply to stick to your initial thoughts. I give you credit for standing by your guy, you've done with Aaron Gordon too, but it doesn't mean having blinders on won't lead you astray.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 12:53:19 PM by Eddie20 »