Author Topic: Stein: Celtics pursued trade for Kosta Koufos this season  (Read 3834 times)

Stein: Celtics pursued trade for Kosta Koufos this season
« on: May 18, 2015, 04:03:39 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
What about the wildly underrated Kosta Koufos?

Good things seemed to happen for the Grizzlies every time Koufos hit the hardwood in the Golden State series. He's always been an elite-yet-underpublicized rim protector, but the high visibility of a playoff encounter against the winningest team in the league brought some increased exposure to Koufos' knack for chipping in with some effective offense around the basket.

Even before Koufos' strong series, though, Memphis folks were well aware that keeping the 26-year-old was going to be mighty challenging. It's no secret within team circles that Koufos, while appreciative of the various tricks he's gleaned as the understudy to Gasol and Z-Bo, wants to be an NBA starter. If that opportunity presents itself elsewhere, on top of a healthy raise from Koufos' $3-million salary last season, well, you can do the math.

The Grizzlies' nightmare scenario, of course, is the prospect of Koufos attracting a lucrative offer early in free agency while Gasol is still deliberating. Keeping Koufos to play behind a re-signed Gasol would presumably be too pricey for the Grizz ... but losing both in the same summer would naturally be a crusher.

And the reality is that Koufos is bound to draw considerable interest as an unrestricted free agent. Rim protection is his forte, but he also coped very well against Aldridge in the Portland series and has not only proven very durable over the year but has quietly started nearly 150 games in his career. He's more seasoned than you think.

Memphis, mind you, signed off on the risk of losing both Gasol and Koufos without compensation when it rebuffed numerous trade proposals for Koufos during the season from the likes of Cleveland and Boston.

Been beating Kosta's drum since last summer.

Assuming Ainge and Stevens are interested as well.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

Re: Stein: Celtics pursued trade for Kosta Koufos this season
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2015, 04:06:55 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

Good things seemed to happen for the Grizzlies every time Koufos hit the hardwood in the Golden State series. He's always been an elite-yet-underpublicized rim protector, but the high visibility of a playoff encounter against the winningest team in the league brought some increased exposure to Koufos' knack for chipping in with some effective offense around the basket.

Even before Koufos' strong series, though, Memphis folks were well aware that keeping the 26-year-old was going to be mighty challenging. It's no secret within team circles that Koufos, while appreciative of the various tricks he's gleaned as the understudy to Gasol and Z-Bo, wants to be an NBA starter. If that opportunity presents itself elsewhere, on top of a healthy raise from Koufos' $3-million salary last season, well, you can do the math.

The Grizzlies' nightmare scenario, of course, is the prospect of Koufos attracting a lucrative offer early in free agency while Gasol is still deliberating. Keeping Koufos to play behind a re-signed Gasol would presumably be too pricey for the Grizz ... but losing both in the same summer would naturally be a crusher.

And the reality is that Koufos is bound to draw considerable interest as an unrestricted free agent. Rim protection is his forte, but he also coped very well against Aldridge in the Portland series and has not only proven very durable over the year but has quietly started nearly 150 games in his career. He's more seasoned than you think.

Memphis, mind you, signed off on the risk of losing both Gasol and Koufos without compensation when it rebuffed numerous trade proposals for Koufos during the season from the likes of Cleveland and Boston.

He would be an upgrade for the C's at the 5 position. He isn't my first choice in free agency but he would be an upgrade and that is what I am looking for.

I think this article also mentioned that Jeff Green is going to opt in next year. It's crazy that when he was with us, there was no way he could rationally opt in, then after poor play for the Grizzlies he can't do better than one more year at what he was making alst season.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2015, 04:09:05 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
So Ainge looked into KK ;) ;D, but not Hassan Whiteside? ::) Well done, sir - well done (sarcasm) ::). Ugh.

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2015, 04:13:34 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I hope there's still some interest. Koufos is solid all around. Could be a an average to good starter or a great backup big.

2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2015, 04:27:19 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
So Ainge looked into KK ;) ;D, but not Hassan Whiteside? ::) Well done, sir - well done (sarcasm) ::). Ugh.
ya, ainge sucks for being the ONLY GM not to look at whiteside
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2015, 04:34:03 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

He would be an upgrade for the C's at the 5 position. He isn't my first choice in free agency but he would be an upgrade and that is what I am looking for.

I think this article also mentioned that Jeff Green is going to opt in next year. It's crazy that when he was with us, there was no way he could rationally opt in, then after poor play for the Grizzlies he can't do better than one more year at what he was making alst season.

I don't think Green particularly sucked, but he probably could have performed better. I imagine the reason Green is opting in is because of the salary cap increase in 2016 moreso than he is afraid he can't get $9M on the open market. I'm pretty sure we would just re-sign him if that's all he was looking for on a multi-year deal.

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2015, 04:52:59 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Yeah, I can't believe we missed out on the chance to get Larry Sanders 2.0 here. 

Koufos would be a nice, solid, middle-of-the-road pickup.  Which is the kind we're most likely going to get this year.  I'd also like to see if the Bulls are dumb enough to pay us to take on the last year of Noah's deal; he'd be a great stopgap if we wind up having to refocus on 2016.

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2015, 04:56:19 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo

Yeah, I can't believe we missed out on the chance to get Larry Sanders 2.0 here. 

Koufos would be a nice, solid, middle-of-the-road pickup.  Which is the kind we're most likely going to get this year.  I'd also like to see if the Bulls are dumb enough to pay us to take on the last year of Noah's deal; he'd be a great stopgap if we wind up having to refocus on 2016.

This is why i think people are not excited about the idea of Koufos.

People want "fireworks" or bust this summer (pretty much every summer), when it's more likely that we make some good, smaller moves.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2015, 05:14:36 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

You've been a member here since 2008.

Whiteside began his college career in 2009.

How many times before 2014 did you make a post talking about Whiteside in any way, good or bad?

That's why your posts are so laughable, and it has nothing to do with all the girlish emoticons, every time you criticize Ainge for not picking up Whitside, D. Green, Jordan, Butler, Matthews, etc.

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2015, 05:22:35 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I have a feeling that Koufos seemed nice as a mid-season acquisition, but Ainge will set his sights higher when it's summertime.  Koufos would have helped the team be more competitive heading into the playoffs.  He's not really what I picture as a long term solution at the center spot.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2015, 05:23:55 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
I have a feeling that Koufos seemed nice as a mid-season acquisition, but Ainge will set his sights higher when it's summertime.  Koufos would have helped the team be more competitive heading into the playoffs.  He's not really what I picture as a long term solution at the center spot.

Im sure he will initially, but how likely is it Marc Gasol, Deandre Jordan, or Demarcus Cousins will be in Boston next season?

Edit: Also, Ainge knew Koufos was going to be a FA this summer and would command some money, so why would he pursue Koufos and give up assets if he only planned on "renting" him essentially. I have to imagine, Ainge was interested in resigning him if he was going to trade for him.
*CB Miami Heat*

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2015, 05:37:20 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Memphis having received a "trade proposal" for Koufos might mean something as innocuous as Danny saying "how about if you give us Koufos as part of the Jeff Green deal, in exchange for assets X and Y?"

In that context I'd be surprised if Memphis didn't receive "proposals" from us for many of the players on their roster.

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2015, 05:40:39 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I'm sure the bounty that Cleveland paid for Mozgov increased the price for Koufos.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2015, 05:45:49 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I'm sure the bounty that Cleveland paid for Mozgov increased the price for Koufos.

Could be. And I for one, will not give 2 first rounders for Koufos. I like him, but not for that much.

So, how about we just offer him the full MLE for two years? A starting spot and a pay raise should be enticing.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2015, 06:23:01 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

Could be. And I for one, will not give 2 first rounders for Koufos. I like him, but not for that much.

So, how about we just offer him the full MLE for two years? A starting spot and a pay raise should be enticing.

Several teams can offer him the full MLE and probably will.  If you really like him, then you should consider offering somewhat more than the MLE, possibly with a player option on the final year.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference