Author Topic: Deandre Jordan to get max; had falling out with CP3  (Read 7559 times)

Re: Deandre Jordan to get max; had falling out with CP3
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2015, 04:58:16 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2015/story/_/id/12906433/do-los-angeles-clippers-need-big-changes
The 5th point in that article -- trade idea of Blake Griffin for Kevin Durant.

That would be amazing. I'd love to see Blake Griffin (PF) play alongside Serge Ibaka (C) in a running lineup. That would be tremendous to watch.

Kevin Durant would be absolutely lethal alongside CP3 and D.Jordan in LAC.

I mean, it definitely does make some sense both ways. Will it ever happen? Doubt it, because I doubt KD would give an assurance to anyone that he'll stay.
With Ibaka and Kanter, I don't see the need to trade the better player for a guy at a position you have filled.  Even a guy that is better than what you have at the position as Griffin is.  Just don't see it for OKC.  If they move Durant, I don't see that as the trade that makes the most sense.  Something like Barnes and Thompson for Durant (other pieces as needed) makes a lot more sense for OKC (fills a position of need i.e. SG and acquires a young up and comer at SF to replace Durant) and obviously makes sense for GS to pair Durant with Curry.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2015, 05:03:46 PM »

Offline GreenGoggles

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 76
Anyone familiar with what his max $$ is? I know it's different for different players. I would love to grab him for something around 15-16$ a year, this guy is a defensive monster and exactly what we need.

The puzzle wouldn't be complete though, he would have to continue to develop on the offensive end and we would need a star wing to be a real threat to any of the contending teams. Not an easy task.

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2015, 05:06:20 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Assuming the salary cap actually hits $89 it'd be something like 26.7$ a year for five years with a ~$2 million dollar raise each year.

edit: that's 26.7 million, not 26.70$
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2015, 05:09:54 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Anyone familiar with what his max $$ is? I know it's different for different players. I would love to grab him for something around 15-16$ a year, this guy is a defensive monster and exactly what we need.

The puzzle wouldn't be complete though, he would have to continue to develop on the offensive end and we would need a star wing to be a real threat to any of the contending teams. Not an easy task.

The ESPN article linked to in opening post of this thread says = $80.7 million over 4 years is the most other teams can offer D.Jordan (Celtics) while the Clippers can offer up to $108.7 million over 5 years.

The article also notes that D.Jordan could sign a two year deal with the Clippers and opt out after 1st year (to get new cap increase) and sign for $162.6 million over 6 seasons.

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2015, 05:15:12 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
Those are numbers using the salary cap from this season, I believe.  the new cap, whatever it is, will go into effect at the same time that the moratorium ends.

Jordan's been in the league for 7 years now, so he'll be eligible for 30% of the cap in his initial contract. The team with bird rights can give him 5 years with a 7.5% raise (on the initial salary) each year, while the other 29 teams can give him four with a raise of 4.5%.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2015, 05:29:01 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2920
Assuming the salary cap actually hits $89 it'd be something like 26.7$ a year for five years with a ~$2 million dollar raise each year.

edit: that's 26.7 million, not 26.70$

But that's not until 2016, right? If he wants to go ahead and secure a long-term deal, it'd be cheaper than that since the cap is only supposed to go up to roughly $67M this year.

Man, that'd be a tough decision. On the one hand, you have a huge potential salary increase by getting a short deal then maxing out on a larger deal when the cap rises, but one injury could cost you millions by going that route. It almost seems that the smart move is to go ahead and sign a long-term max this year just to prevent that possibility in a sport where that can happen at any time.

« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2015, 05:31:49 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
Correct: that's why I put the percentages in on the second go around. I just naturally assume he's going for the big money since he hasn't missed a game in three years and will be 27 (aka in his athletic prime) this time next year.

« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2015, 05:43:33 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2015, 05:50:55 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell

« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2015, 05:59:14 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
Chris: Get good at basketball
DJ: You're not my real dad!

Lol, TP.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2015, 06:03:35 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
I don't think you can afford in this league to give a max salary to a guy with those kinds of offensive deficiencies. He's 26 and not going to change. And despite his shot blocking, he's not an elite defender. He's a nice player who will get overpaid.

We have a draft coming up with the most center/rim protector prospects in quite a few years.

« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2015, 06:32:27 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Love and DeAndre to LA Lakers?

« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2015, 06:41:50 PM »

Online CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 871
  • GOT IT!!!
I hope the C's can woo him but I think ultimately Doc will get in his ear then convince him to resign there. They'll be hard capped for another season in doing so.

« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2015, 07:38:01 PM »

Offline GC003332

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 62
The real question is ,how do Analytics fix the relationship between the two of them?
Gotta be some sort of raw data that can help smooth things over.

« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2015, 07:48:52 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Would LOVE to have DJ. He'd be just what the doctor ordered for us in the paint.