Author Topic: Deandre Jordan to get max; had falling out with CP3  (Read 7561 times)

Deandre Jordan to get max; had falling out with CP3
« on: May 18, 2015, 02:55:21 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
So I've read a couple of interesting articles about DJ and the Clippers today. The first basically states that Doc is going to offer DJ the max as soon as free agency opens in July, which virtually leaves him nothing else to upgrade the roster with. Granted, if DJ leaves they pretty much still can't do anything.

http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2015/story/_/id/12906433/do-los-angeles-clippers-need-big-changes

The second interesting article states that DJ and Paul had a falling out throughout the year, which could be why DJ is interested in hearing other teams' pitch to him. It's also been widely reported that he wants a bigger role offensively and as a whole.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/05/18/report-chris-paul-and-deandre-jordan-had-falling-out/

This could shape up to be a very interesting summer for us. I'm a big fan of DJ, and I think he'd be perfect for us in addition to helping us attract another star free agent either this summer or next. We can offer him a shorter large deal, a larger role, and a better chance at individual accolades (All-Star, DPOY) than LAC and other Western teams can due to our weaker conference.

Re: Deandre Jordan to get max; had falling out with CP3
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2015, 02:59:43 PM »

Offline sed522002

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 221
Last year there was a similar article about Blake and Deandre falling out with CP3 over how hard his in on the teammates and being sort of a jerk at times...I think that's what prompted CP3 to say something to the effects of him having to be a better leader.

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2015, 03:00:29 PM »

Offline acieEarl

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 47
Danny needs to find a way to sign this guy. Only 26 years old coming into his prime. Cs desperately need a rebounder/rim protector.

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2015, 03:04:52 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
so here's the question

is DeAndre offensively good because of CP3? or can he hold his own without CP3?

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2015, 03:08:43 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2015/story/_/id/12906433/do-los-angeles-clippers-need-big-changes
The 5th point in that article -- trade idea of Blake Griffin for Kevin Durant.

That would be amazing. I'd love to see Blake Griffin (PF) play alongside Serge Ibaka (C) in a running lineup. That would be tremendous to watch.

Kevin Durant would be absolutely lethal alongside CP3 and D.Jordan in LAC.

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2015, 03:24:03 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
The 5th point in that article -- trade idea of Blake Griffin for Kevin Durant.

That would be amazing. I'd love to see Blake Griffin (PF) play alongside Serge Ibaka (C) in a running lineup. That would be tremendous to watch.

Kevin Durant would be absolutely lethal alongside CP3 and D.Jordan in LAC.

I mean, it definitely does make some sense both ways. Will it ever happen? Doubt it, because I doubt KD would give an assurance to anyone that he'll stay.

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2015, 03:27:01 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
so here's the question

is DeAndre offensively good because of CP3? or can he hold his own without CP3?

I don't think he's good offensively, and I think he can continue his current stats even without CP3. He got most of his points from hustle and junk plays (offensive rebounding) or lobs. He's excellent at rolling out of the pick and roll, and any decent pg (IT, Smart, Turner) can find him in the air with as athletic as he is.

His defense and rebounding is where we'd mostly see his presence. Just think of how much tougher we would've been for Cleveland if they wouldn't have been able to just drive the ball inside every play without consequence.

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2015, 03:40:45 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
I agree, I'm not sure I'd prefer any FA other than maybe Butler over him. Fills several needs, really frieken well, that he was been starving for.

Offensively, lob the dude the ball. Instant offense, posters, and energy from everyone in building. Dude is a straight beast.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2015, 03:53:45 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
I think Jordan has his flaws, and more than the free throw shooting I'm concerned he's not a great defender, but I like signing him for a few reasons:

1) The rising cap (per usual)
2) His age and health. We'd be getting his 27-30 years = prime.
3) Our ability to utilize players correctly. I trust that we would make good use of him and put him in a position to succeed.
4) If we do get him, it will be for $$ and not player assets. We'll retain a lot of options.

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2015, 03:54:13 PM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
Fair enough, I like the guy as well.
Just one question : Can we win game 7, last 5 minutes, tied game, with him on the floor? If we bench him, can we still win?

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2015, 04:09:47 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Chris: Get good at basketball
DJ: You're not my real dad!
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2015, 04:20:03 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
Fair enough, I like the guy as well.
Just one question : Can we win game 7, last 5 minutes, tied game, with him on the floor? If we bench him, can we still win?

I think they'll change the rules for "hack-a-Jordan" this summer anyways. It'll probably be something like you can only intentionally foul in the last 10 seconds of the shot clock. That gives the offensive team the ability to get a shot up before the foul and keeps the game moving along at a quick pace, which the league wants anyways.

Though I've never understood how these guys get paid millions of dollars a year with every possible shooting resource available to them and still not be able to hit free throws.

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2015, 04:24:41 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Some people just can't do it. It's like being able to sing in tune -- you can train around it, but you either have it or you don't.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2015, 04:30:45 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Would love Jordan, but didn't he mention something about wanting to stay in a warm weather climate a few months ago? If this is the case, I'm afraid we only beat out the Wolves and Bucks in terms of regional preference.

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2015, 04:53:38 PM »

Offline mahonedog88

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 119
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/report-deandre-jordan-feuded-chris-184358300.html

So supposedly, the falling out was mainly around Jordan's unwillingness to practice his free throws.  Paul felt he wasn't doing nearly enough in and out of practice on improving his free throws, to the point where he may have even turned down multiple attempts by the Clippers shooting coach to work with him.

If you're shooting no more than 40% from the free throw line and you DON'T want to improve, that might provide a little insight into the type of worker Jordan is.