Author Topic: Seven teams will have the most effect of this offseason  (Read 1751 times)

Seven teams will have the most effect of this offseason
« on: May 18, 2015, 09:40:14 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
Looking at the current make up of NBA teams I think 7 teams will be at the center of this offseason.

Mavericks - Cuban was burnt by the Rondo deal, he will be looking to make a quick fix to salvage the team in Dirk's twilight years. Parsons health is the lynch pin for what they can or will do. Not improving is dangerous as the Cs own their pick if not top 7 and its easy to miss the playoffs in the west.

Lakers - their roster is a mess. If they retain their pick that will give them two young starting caliber prospects (this years 1st and Randle). They still have Kobe and his big money contract. The reality is that they should keep building a young core but I can't see them having the patience. I expect them to try to make noise in FA (Rondo and Love?)

Raptors - there has been a lot of speculation that they will take a step back and go into a minor rebuild. That could put Lowrey and Derozen on the market.

Nuggets - they are another team that is potentially going to go into a rebuild. If they do they will potenially add Lawson, Faried, Chandler and Gallinari to the pool of available players. 

Paces - with George returning the Pacers have the one thing most teams are lacking, a star. Aside from that the cupboards are pretty bare in Indy. They have publicly stated that they want to play smaller and fast and that Hibbert might not fit. Pretty much marking the end of his time as a pacer. He can take his player option but if he does I see the pacers moving him before the season starts.

Knicks - knicks fans have very high hopes for this offseason and it will be interesting to see how Phil Jackson the GM does. With their high pick they should end up with a stating PG or Center from the draft. After that it becomes interesting as their current roster aside from Melo and Hardaway lacks NBA rotational level players. Their hope is that Phil Jackson and the NY media machine are enticing enough to land them the Star they think they deserve. I want to see how Phil builds around Melo. The logical thing seems to be playing him at the 4 and getting a defensive type 3 next to him (maybe Aminu or Crowder) ala the Marion/Dirk combo that worked so well in Dallas. This will only work with a defensive anchor at center if they draft Towns or Okafor I dont think either are ready for that role. M Gasol is not going there, Chandler is not likely to return, and D Jordan will be a hot commodity for a few teams. Should be interesting.   

Celtics - look to be changing gears and going from sellers to buyers. DA will be smart with who he brings in but the other 6 teams in flux may give the Cs opportunities to use some of their pile of assets to add talents to take the next towards winning a playoff series.

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

Re: Seven teams will have the most effect of this offseason
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2015, 09:44:45 AM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
You forgot the Bulls, who'll have an impact head coaching-wise.

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2015, 10:04:58 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
I honestly don't see the Knicks keeping their pick, unless they just can't find any potential star trade worth it. They seem to want to win NOW with Melo, and as good as a high draft pick CAN be, they won't be good enough to truly aid a contender as an integral piece until Melo is too old to carry the team. Hell, he's 31 in a couple of weeks already.

Not sure what star is available, though. Hopefully they don't steal our DMC dream away from us  :'(

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2015, 10:17:15 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I expect Philadelphia to be quite active this Summer. We'll see how that goes for them.

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2015, 10:27:09 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I expect Philadelphia to be quite active this Summer. We'll see how that goes for them.
I'm curious what makes you say this? I think they will have one more year of tanking before they try to win in 2016.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2015, 10:37:19 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I don't see the Knicks being interested in DeAndre Jordan. The Triangle offense needs a center who can pass the ball effectively for the offense to function. D.Jordan cannot do that. Too expensive (max contract) for a guy who doesn't fit into what you are trying to build.

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2015, 10:37:43 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I'm curious what makes you say this? I think they will have one more year of tanking before they try to win in 2016.
Agreed. It's summer 2016 that I expect Philly to start making moves.

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2015, 10:38:30 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

Cap space, and the last chance to go after talent that will be structured based on the recent salary cap before the big jump.

And even if they don't become buyers, they're so far away from the cap floor that they'll definitely be involved as facilitators in 3-way deals much like they've been so far.

Anyways, I think they'll impact free-agency or very much try to this Summer.

Also, the addition of young talent, which is what they would target if any, shouldn't make them good enough to reach the playoffs regardless, so they can retain their tanking philosophy as it is.

Regardless, I don't think they'll be attracting free-agents this Summer in particular, so I think they'll try to get in the game, even if it's simply testing the waters, but they might not be able to.

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2015, 10:41:02 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
Agreed. It's summer 2016 that I expect Philly to start making moves.

Say they go after a young max player in this current market... they should still have $50+ million of cap space in 2016.

For example, I wouldn't be surprised if the much discussed Middleton is targeted by them.

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2015, 10:48:59 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

Cap space, and the last chance to go after talent that will be structured based on the recent salary cap before the big jump.

And even if they don't become buyers, they're so far away from the cap floor that they'll definitely be involved as facilitators in 3-way deals much like they've been so far.

Anyways, I think they'll impact free-agency or very much try to this Summer.

Also, the addition of young talent, which is what they would target if any, shouldn't make them good enough to reach the playoffs regardless, so they can retain their tanking philosophy as it is.

Regardless, I don't think they'll be attracting free-agents this Summer in particular, so I think they'll try to get in the game, even if it's simply testing the waters, but they might not be able to.
The bolded part is what I see them doing. Using the cap space to acquire good young players or draft picks before they attempt to sign free agents the next year.

My reasoning is, Saric won't be over until 2016-2017 season and I expect them to select a project with their first pick this year.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2015, 03:17:09 PM »

Offline e4sym0de

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 12
I think Portland can be added to that list. Mathews/Aldridge/Lopez are interesting Free Agents and they have tons of Capspace

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2015, 04:05:53 PM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
NY can go after Monroe, Middleton, Lawson. They have cap space, probably a top 3 pick and money.