Author Topic: Draft Day Nightmare Picks!  (Read 16461 times)

Re: Draft Day Nightmare Picks!
« Reply #75 on: May 18, 2015, 11:59:55 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Now my nightmare: his name is Mario Hezonja.
Check out his stats. I mean take a serious, good look: he hardly has playing experience (16.5 mpg this year, but well below 10 mpg the previous two seasons), he averages 7.7 ppg and is 20 yo. He also has attitude issues.
Does this look like //the player who could very well end up being the best scorer in this draft//?(Kevin O'Konnor). Is this guy a top 5 or even a top 10 pick?

The reason behind the whole Hezinsanity is that he plays for Barcelona which has in the past sent several good players to the NBA. He also had a very good performance with Croatia at FIBA's under 16 European championship in 2011. And here's where the Pau Gasol associations kick in (oh he plays for Barca, he is the star of his national team, he must be the new Euro-star player).
Not gonna happen. IMO his ceiling is lower than James Young's and the C's should stay away from this guy.

(If you want to understand more my feelings, just take a look at Vezenkov, who is taller, younger, much more experienced and a proven scorer- yet he is projected to be a second rounder just because his team, Ares Salonica, is not well known abroad- same story as Antetokounmpo- I see underrated draft prospect written all over this kid https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aleksandar_Vezenkov).

In the photo, me waking up in the middle of the night after a nightmare that we traded up to draft Hezonja.

TP for the info there, as far as teams are concerned, so I'm going to rely on you for international scouting, lol ;D. That can't be the thought process that leads teams to take these guys, can it?  Please tell me that that is not the case ;D.

NBA's managers have quite a good record of misjudging non-American players, esp. if they have not attended American colleges.

The list is long (draft number in brackets)
Giannis (15)
Dirk (9)
Tony Parker (28)
Manu Ginobili (57)
Tony Kukoc (29)
Drazen Petrovic (60)
and the best of them all Darko Milicic 2  ;D
I'd be grateful if someone can remember non-American, non-college players whose draft number was close to their real value. There must be some.

Edit: I missed the obvious. Pau at 3. But I still think managers have a tough time evaluating talent that has not gone through the college system.

Don't forget Vlade Divac, Dino Radja, or Sabonis, either, although I do think that the latter was more than fairly well known to NBA executives and scouts.  Iirc, Red considered him to be a top 4 center in the world in 1986, or thereabouts, and the Hawks took him in the 4th round (77th overall) in the 1985 draft, but you're absolutely right.

« Reply #76 on: May 21, 2015, 12:58:33 AM »

Offline positivitize

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 614
  • Puns of steel
I have a new nightmare, after seeing the lotto shape up...

Lakers select "Justise Winslow"
+
Kobe takes the young guy under his wing
+
Every time we play the Lakers, Winslow goes off for 40, 10, 19 a la Russ Westbrook.

God, I hope Danny get's the Knick's 4th, and Winslow is still on the board when we pick...
My biases, in order of fervor:
Pro:
Smart, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Kemba, Grant Williams, Sleepy Williams, Edwards!

Anti:
Kanter, Semi, Theis, Poierier

« Reply #77 on: May 21, 2015, 01:05:12 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Lol ;D at our back-to-back nightmare threads.

« Reply #78 on: May 21, 2015, 03:22:41 AM »

Offline DavorCroatiaFan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 97
Guys, you are sooooo wrong about Hezonja. He said that he will go to the NBA if he's top 10 pick. So in Barcelona they tried to do whatever it takes to make him stay. Don't give him minutes so his stats would dip... But he's an all-star in 3 years. Attitude problem? He's cocky. But so were Bird and Pierce. And i want that kind of player in green
No1 Celtics fan in Croatia

« Reply #79 on: May 21, 2015, 08:32:07 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Guys, you are sooooo wrong about Hezonja. He said that he will go to the NBA if he's top 10 pick. So in Barcelona they tried to do whatever it takes to make him stay. Don't give him minutes so his stats would dip... But he's an all-star in 3 years. Attitude problem? He's cocky. But so were Bird and Pierce. And i want that kind of player in green
i understand your points, but what i read about hezonja is not just cockiness. as you write, that can be good. what i also read was that he has an attitude that may, or may not, play out as well as a team player.

From DraftExpress.com

http://www.draftexpress.com/#ixzz3am8wXVMV

Strengths:
-Terrific size, frame and athleticism for a wing prospect
-Can make shots from anywhere on the court, with feet set, off the dribble, and with a hand in his face
-Creates separation from defender very well and has excellent shooting mechanics
-Very good in transition
-Can beat man off the dribble in half-court with excellent first step, and then finish over the top of the defense
-Shows intriguing court vision, especially off the pick and roll. Threads needle to diving cutters with bounce passes for layups

Weaknesses:
-Looked disconnected mentally from his teammates, and from the game in general. Constantly talking to opponents. Seems to lack focus on the court
-Struggles operating within a team concept. Only really looks comfortable in isolation or pick and roll settings
-Goes too many possessions where he dribbles the ball incessantly and then settles for a contested pull-up jumper
-Needs to improve ball-handling skills in half-court. Doesn't change speeds or directions. If can't simply blow by his man, immediately pulls up off the dribble
-Struggles defensively off the ball. Shows poor awareness

Outlook: One of the top prospects in the world in his age group based on sheer talent. Has already seen minutes in the ACB and Euroleague with Barcelona's senior team. Struggled badly with his shot-selection and all-around decision making throughout the NIJT. Shot 5/39 from beyond the arc in the seven games he played, and only got to free throw line 18 times. Averaged over 5 turnovers per-40. Showed poor body language as well. Team seemed to be much better off when he was on the bench. No one doubts his talent, but more and more doubts are creeping in as to whether his poor mentality will prevent him from reaching his tremendous potential.

i have NO idea whether this is true or not. i am bringing it up to provide a more complete picture of how hezonja is being viewed.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #80 on: May 21, 2015, 08:58:53 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Stay away from Dakari Johnson, even in the 2nd round..and Im a huge UK fan...
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #81 on: May 21, 2015, 09:28:33 AM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
I wouldn't want anyone on my team that has the audacity to demand that he be a top ten pick in order for him to play for the team that drafts him. That's a lakers player right there if I ever saw one.

« Reply #82 on: May 21, 2015, 11:01:26 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I wouldn't want anyone on my team that has the audacity to demand that he be a top ten pick in order for him to play for the team that drafts him. That's a lakers player right there if I ever saw one.

There are apocryphal stories that Tim Duncan didn't enter the 1996 Draft because he wanted to be sure he'd go first overall. Would you not take Tim Duncan in 1997 because of that?
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #83 on: May 21, 2015, 11:13:33 AM »

Offline Jferrari401

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 9

What makes you say that? Just curious, I had liked Dakari for our second pick.
I told the driver Lenny swing me by the garden I gotta talk to Pat
Showed him some stacks
Then showed him the gat like ‘you’re gonna miss the finger roll right?’
Yes, Mr. Baklava

« Reply #84 on: May 21, 2015, 11:23:24 AM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17

There are apocryphal stories that Tim Duncan didn't enter the 1996 Draft because he wanted to be sure he'd go first overall. Would you not take Tim Duncan in 1997 because of that?
I see what you are saying; one thing I can add about Duncan is that he is clearly a team player, while for Hezonja there are reports out there of his arrogance, and not really being much of a team player. However, there is something about Hezonja, something of a Drazen Petrovic vibe to him.

« Reply #85 on: May 21, 2015, 11:24:23 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412

What makes you say that? Just curious, I had liked Dakari for our second pick.
Cant jump...bad footwork..bad hands...if u think Fab Melo was bad, u have not seen nothing yet
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #86 on: May 21, 2015, 11:25:44 AM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
I have a new nightmare, after seeing the lotto shape up...

Lakers select "Justise Winslow"
+
Kobe takes the young guy under his wing
+
Every time we play the Lakers, Winslow goes off for 40, 10, 19 a la Russ Westbrook.

God, I hope Danny get's the Knick's 4th, and Winslow is still on the board when we pick...

If the Lakers take Winslow, that would mean Okafor would fall to the Sixers. I can't imagine them passing up on Okafor's talent to take Russell or Mudiay, even given their roster, so that almost could be a good thing for us if we want any of those bigs to become available.

« Reply #87 on: May 21, 2015, 11:37:23 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

I see what you are saying; one thing I can add about Duncan is that he is clearly a team player, while for Hezonja there are reports out there of his arrogance, and not really being much of a team player. However, there is something about Hezonja, something of a Drazen Petrovic vibe to him.

Ah! I loved Drazen. I also think gambling on foreign players is a good idea, though, so I'm biased. And I know nothing about Hezonja, so I can't offer much here.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #88 on: May 24, 2015, 03:10:19 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
@Beat LA
Ah, yes I forgot about Radja (40, 1989) and especially Divac (26, 1989).

Add to them Stojakovic at nr 14 in 1996. True, this draft was full with talent (Iverson, Kobe, Steve Nash, Ray Allen), but I still feel that had he played previously in American college rather than PAOK Salonica, he would have easily been a top 10 pick.

Our first pick will almost certainly (and rightly so) go to a college player. But I'd like see us taking a risk with a European player with at least one of the three remaining picks.

« Reply #89 on: May 24, 2015, 03:36:40 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Do yourself a favor and just let go of the dream of Danny Ainge trading up to #4.  The Celts don't have any individual piece that's good enough to get the Knicks to give up a top 5 pick.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain