Author Topic: Slow Rebuild Ideas  (Read 1346 times)

Slow Rebuild Ideas
« on: May 17, 2015, 08:45:58 AM »

Offline ptroger83

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 2
If Danny doesn't have the opportunities to net the big fish this offseason, we've got plenty of options to enhance our assets while also improving the team as currently put together.

Move #1: Absorb Tiago Splitter with Rondo trade exception.

If the Spurs sign Lamarcus Aldridge and try to keep the core of their team together, Splitter is probably the odd man out. The Spurs would probably be in a salary crunch and need to move Splitter without taking back any additional salary. If I'm not mistaken, there are only two teams that can absorb Splitter with a trade exception, the Celtics and Nuggets. All indications are that the Nuggets are going in a different (tear down) direction, so the Celtics may be the only team that could facilitate this for the Spurs. Don't be surprised if this move happens and we get some kind of pick consideration as well, like a future pick or swapping our 28th pick with their 26th. As far as what this move would do for the Celtics for the future, Splitter would solve a need for this team as currently constructed but also could fetch something if traded to a contender at the trade deadline next year (bigs are always over-valued it seems).

Move 2: Sign Al Farouq Aminu

I'm not really sure what the market is going to be for this guy, but he would be a much better fit here in Steven's equal opportunity offense than he was as a spoke on the Ellis-Nowitzki wheel. Of all the second tier free agents, I think this is the one guy who could come into our system and immediately increase his value in relation to whatever he signs for.

Move 3: Trade James Young and Pick 16 to the Hornets for Pick 9 (Willie Cauley Stein)

The Hornets need shooting and James Young has demonstrated (in the D-League) that he can stroke it. He is probably a better shooter than anyone they could nab at #9 anyways and they would also get another quality role player at pick #16. The Celtics get their rim protector of the future (until they trade for DMC).

Move 4: Resign Crowder and let Jarebko/Bass walk (or sign them to very reduced contracts).

Crowder has a future with this team. However, while the other two would help the current roster, they really wouldn't offer much as far as future trade bait/assets.

Move 5: Unload Wallace and overpay a young free agent.

As mentioned earlier, the Nuggets have a large trade exception from the Javale Magee trade. If they are in tear-down mode, we could offload Gerald Wallace to them for either a combination of our late 1st + #33 or a future draft pick. The salary cap guru's can correct me, but I believe this would then enable us to offer max money or overpay for a quality young wing like Butler, Middleton, Demarre Carroll or Tobias Harris.

Bonus: Beyond those moves for the summer, I would almost guarantee that Sullinger is not here this time next year. I think Danny knows that he doesn't fit here long term. If Sullinger is smart, he'll come here in the best shape of his life next year (contract year). I think the trade deadline will offer some major fireworks centering around Sullinger and our bevy of future picks. 

So there you have it. This roster would definitely lack star power, but it would probably be the deepest in the league. It would improve the team as currently constructed and also increase our trade assets while involving minimal future draft pick sacrifices (probably our biggest asset).

I don't know if the "big move" is out there to be made right now, but in my opinion there are still plenty of options to continue setting ourselves up to be ready when it comes.

Re: Slow Rebuild Ideas
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 10:01:03 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Don't quit your day job to be a GM.  JK.

I don't think people would be happy with many of these moves.  I think the forum would like 4 best because they overvalue Crowder.   I like 3 best but doubt Charlotte would do it.

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 10:08:15 AM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
I like some of what you have outlined.

I'd rather somebody else than Tiago though. Nice player, but if we're thinking future, he really doesn't have one.

I think drafting at #16/#28 and signing Tobias Harris and Kosta Koufos persay, could make this team significantly better and wouldn't require Danny shooting any of his bullets yet.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2015, 10:48:27 AM »

Offline ptroger83

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 2
Regarding the Splitter idea... I agree that he doesn't fit here long-term, but I do think its a way for Danny to use the trade exception on a guy that will have value to a contender at the trade deadline. We could flip Splitter for a future 1st, meaning the Rondo trade would have officially netted us Crowder, Mav's future 1st, two Minneosota 2nd's, 2016 Dallas 2nd, plus whatever they can get for Splitter. It's not a win now move, but it is a future minded deal.

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2015, 11:01:20 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
Move #1: Absorb Tiago Splitter with Rondo trade exception.
Move 2: Sign Al Farouq Aminu
Move 3: Trade James Young and Pick 16 to the Hornets for Pick 9 (Willie Cauley Stein)
Move 4: Resign Crowder and let Jarebko/Bass walk (or sign them to very reduced contracts).
Move 5: Unload Wallace and overpay a young free agent.

Bonus: Beyond those moves for the summer, I would almost guarantee that Sullinger is not here this time next year. I think Danny knows that he doesn't fit here long term. If Sullinger is smart, he'll come here in the best shape of his life next year (contract year). I think the trade deadline will offer some major fireworks centering around Sullinger and our bevy of future picks. 

Ok, you have some interesting ideas. Let's look at them closely.

#1 - Splitter does offer rim protection. But he doesn't offer much else and his contract isn't exactly friendly with 2 years and $17m to go. Signing him and keeping Wallace (I know, we will get to him) prohibits the Celtics from signing a good free agent this offseason.

We already have one "part time" Center.in Zeller. Assuming that they draft a big man, I'm not sure how there's minutes for Zeller, the rookie and Splitter at the Center spot. Thus for cap reasons and playing time, I'm not a fan of this move. Plus, I think Danny can do much better with that trade exception. He turned the last one into much more and it wasn't worth as much.

If a future 1st (unprotected in 2 years) came along with Splitter? Then maybe - that's the price for freeing up $12m in cap space and taking on a less-than-ideal contract in return.

2. Why would you sign him if you're going to resign Crowder? They play the same position, they're the same age, shoot at similar percentages and Crowder is the better defender. Neither guy should be starting on a good team and Crowder is more valuable off the bench because of his defense. I don't see this as offering much value but taking up precious cap space. Not a fan of this move at all unless Danny is unable to sign Jae (which is unlikely - I think Crowder really wants to come back because he knows he can really contribute here).

3. I would do this in a heartbeat to get WCS. I'm not sure if the Hornets would go for it though.

4. We agree, but resigning Crowder makes your 2nd idea redundant. JJ is a fan favorite and a high energy guy but I don't think he's any kind of real answer for the Celtics. It's time for Bass to go elsewhere. I love his lunch-bucket mentaltiy but he's just not the right fit for this team with what he offers and where the Celtics have needs.

5. Ok, so this one becomes mandatory if you pull the trigger on #1. I'm not a fan of paying someone to take him off our hands considering that this is his final contract year. Wallace may have some value close to the trade deadline if the Celtics need to take on a sizable salary. He's really the largest expiring chunk of salary the Celtics have and that might be needed.

For instance, let's say Ty Lawson, Lance Stephenson, Asik, Pekovic or some other guy is being shopped around. That happens every season and the deal may be attractive to the Celtics. As such, we may very well need that $10m expiring salary to make the deal happen. At worst, the season ends and he comes off the books.

With that in mind, why would Danny want to pay someone to take him off his hands? If he were going to do that, he would have done it already. The only reason is if you need the cap space to sign someone in Free Agency, which the Celtics do not need so long as they don't take on an albatross contract like Splitters. If they do, then Danny has hopefully received that unprotected 1st and therefore offering a couple of 2nds to move Wallace doesn't seem so bad.

So I give you high marks for your imagination and creativity. However, I don't agree with most of your moves. You're giving up some assets that you don't need to give up or getting less on some assets than you should get. I'd be much happier with trading up to get WCS, resigning Crowder and picking up another key free agent (I like Harris from Orlando). 
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2015, 11:24:09 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Don't quit your day job to be a GM.  JK.

I don't think people would be happy with many of these moves.  I think the forum would like 4 best because they overvalue Crowder.   I like 3 best but doubt Charlotte would do it.

Personally, I also like Crowder. He's the only Celtic that really showed any heart in the playoffs.

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2015, 11:44:27 AM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
Do not like these moves...if you want a slow rebuild.. you must get more picks develop the youngsters and draft wisely... i would like to trade zeller for pick trade turner for pick absorb a younger player with trade excpeption... try to get some low cost players like koufos and harkless...