Author Topic: Potential Bradley Trade Idea  (Read 3106 times)

Potential Bradley Trade Idea
« on: May 17, 2015, 01:12:12 AM »

Offline Megalodon

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 4
Bradley + Turner + #28 for Lance Stephenson + #9

Charlotte reportedly wanted to trade Stephenson and add shooting. Well, for them this trade accomplishes both, and Bradley has longer and cheaper contract than Stephenson. Also, Bradley + MKG pairing might be very disruptive defensively. And all "character issues" associated with Stephenson would be gone with him. With #28 they might even be able to get a backup for Jefferson (Dakari Johnson, for example) or add more shooting - it is really up to them. Turner is just a fill-in to clear a roster spot for us and shed 1M of salary for next year (helpful for free agency).

For us, it gives us an ideal shooting guard to pair with Smart (a guard who can also handle the ball because Marcus' handle is far from perfect, defend, and rebound). If Stephenson does not return to his Indiana form then we'll just have to suck up two years of his contract or trade him using our lesser picks. I will not even going to describe benefits of #9 for us as there is no consensus on who we should target (in my opinion Hezonja - highest potential at 9, gamble, but worth it).

Bradley would be missed, but he can be replaced, either thorough the draft or free agency (or play crowder at sg, give young some minutes - choose whatever floats your boat) - that is assuming Stephenson plays badly.   

Re: Potential Bradley Trade Idea
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 01:16:10 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Virtually exact same threads already been done. Consensus was split. Those who like lance like the move those who think he is a cancer hate the move.

I think id do it but I'm not as high on Stanley Johnson as I was at that point.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 03:20:46 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
I personally love it, but I understand the hesitation of some.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 03:44:18 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

Charlotte reportedly wanted to trade Stephenson and add shooting. Well, for them this trade accomplishes both, and Bradley has longer and cheaper contract than Stephenson. Also, Bradley + MKG pairing might be very disruptive defensively. And all "character issues" associated with Stephenson would be gone with him. With #28 they might even be able to get a backup for Jefferson (Dakari Johnson, for example) or add more shooting - it is really up to them. Turner is just a fill-in to clear a roster spot for us and shed 1M of salary for next year (helpful for free agency).

For us, it gives us an ideal shooting guard to pair with Smart (a guard who can also handle the ball because Marcus' handle is far from perfect, defend, and rebound). If Stephenson does not return to his Indiana form then we'll just have to suck up two years of his contract or trade him using our lesser picks. I will not even going to describe benefits of #9 for us as there is no consensus on who we should target (in my opinion Hezonja - highest potential at 9, gamble, but worth it).

Bradley would be missed, but he can be replaced, either thorough the draft or free agency (or play crowder at sg, give young some minutes - choose whatever floats your boat) - that is assuming Stephenson plays badly.

The problem is why would the Hornets trade their 9th pick, and Stephenson for Bradley, and Turner? Think about it. Does it make sense for the Hornets to give up a lottery pick for Bradley, and Turner; just to get rid of what you just described as, 'a contract we could just suck up for two years?'

So why can't the same concept apply to Hornets? Stephenson sucks? Oh well, either move him for protected picks, or let him mope on the bench. Bradley doesn't lure teams with assets, because Bradley doesn't have a high trade value. Players like Bradley are pretty easy to find, especially since Danny Green, Wesley Matthews, and a few others are going to be offering their services in FA.

If we wanted their 9th pick, this is what we would have to send out.

AB+ Turner, 2015 Celtics 1st round pick, Clippers 2015 1st round pick, 2015 Celtics 2nd rounder, and Memphis 1st round 2018, conditional future pick.

Think that's a lot? I don't think its enough. Anything below 10th pick in my opinion for this draft is going to ask for a lot, because this draft class is loaded in many positions. Hornets would be foolish to give up their pick for AB, and a low first round pick. Turner would net us a 2nd round pick from a team willing to take a risk on him, but Turner has no trade value except cap filler.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2015, 04:22:07 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners

The problem is why would the Hornets trade their 9th pick, and Stephenson for Bradley, and Turner? Think about it. Does it make sense for the Hornets to give up a lottery pick for Bradley, and Turner; just to get rid of what you just described as, 'a contract we could just suck up for two years?'

So why can't the same concept apply to Hornets? Stephenson sucks? Oh well, either move him for protected picks, or let him mope on the bench. Bradley doesn't lure teams with assets, because Bradley doesn't have a high trade value. Players like Bradley are pretty easy to find, especially since Danny Green, Wesley Matthews, and a few others are going to be offering their services in FA.

AB+ Turner, 2015 Celtics 1st round pick, Clippers 2015 1st round pick, 2015 Celtics 2nd rounder, and Memphis 1st round 2018, conditional future pick.

Think that's a lot? I don't think its enough. Anything below 10th pick in my opinion for this draft is going to ask for a lot, because this draft class is loaded in many positions. Hornets would be foolish to give up their pick for AB, and a low first round pick. Turner would net us a 2nd round pick from a team willing to take a risk on him, but Turner has no trade value except cap filler.
Your only looking at Avery's talent. The trump card is his contract....

Also Lance has a team option at the end of this year.

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2015, 04:35:49 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

The Hornets could trade or draft a player with arguably more potential, or talent than Bradley while giving the team the same amount of team control as Bradley's contract would last.

Bradley is a starting shooting guard, but he isn't an Allstar, and his ceiling isn't that high.

Think about it this way.

Would you be opposed to the Celtics giving up their 2016 Nets pick just to get rid of Wallace's?

If the answer is no, then its exactly the same situation as the Hornets.

The Hornets don't gain anything by giving up a lottery pick for Turner, 28th pick, and Avery Bradley unless a 3 way team trade happens.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2015, 08:47:36 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

Stephenson is the perfect washed up guy that Ainge has been signing lately.   I would hope he does not do this one, though as he is not very Celtic in nature.

I think I would rather deal with what we have than take the chance of bringing the destroyer of locker rooms into the fold.

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2015, 09:36:41 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
For me there are 11 players I would like to have in this draft, then about 15 I would be content with.  To move up to guarantee to get one of the 11 I would absolutely do this trade.  IF Stephensons' mind is right that would be some tenacious wing defense with Smart, Stevenson, Crowder (hopefully) and whoever we sign/draft.  Those 3 are long and strong defenders who aren't afraid to play physical, guards would hate playing us. 

We would absolutely need a couple scoring posts to play with them though as I don't see any of them as a number 1 option. 
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2015, 09:46:15 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

The Hornets could trade or draft a player with arguably more potential, or talent than Bradley while giving the team the same amount of team control as Bradley's contract would last.

Bradley is a starting shooting guard, but he isn't an Allstar, and his ceiling isn't that high.

Think about it this way.

Would you be opposed to the Celtics giving up their 2016 Nets pick just to get rid of Wallace's?

If the answer is no, then its exactly the same situation as the Hornets.

The Hornets don't gain anything by giving up a lottery pick for Turner, 28th pick, and Avery Bradley unless a 3 way team trade happens.
You cant just remove Lance from the equation. They view Lance, independent of his 9 mil contract, as a net negative on the team. We are offering them a better player, at a better contract, along with another ball-handler in turner who does what Lance does minus the D at a much cheaper price. And then they also get a late first. In return, we get pick #9.

Charlotte has made 4 straight selections in the top 10. At some point they need to start moving forward.

Pick 9 is valued a lot, but you are out of the range where you are looking to add a star.

I think adding in Zeller or replacing 28 with 16 could get it done
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2015, 09:57:12 PM »

Offline celticsfan8591

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
I'd love this trade but I don't think the Hornets do it.  As others have said, Stephenson is still very talented, and even if he continues to be a headache and doesn't get back on track, his contract isn't so burdensome that they should sacrifice a top 10 pick to get rid of him.  I think a more realistic trade (and one that I would still do) is the same trade, but with Vonleh swapped in for the #9 pick.  He had a disappointing rookie year, so he might be attainable, and I'd happily take a flier on him at that price.  Playing close to home and for a great coach could do wonders for his development. Not sure the Hornets do that one either, but I'd say it's more likely than them giving up #9.

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2015, 10:11:21 PM »

Offline mahcus smaht

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 4
I'd love this trade but I don't think the Hornets do it.  As others have said, Stephenson is still very talented, and even if he continues to be a headache and doesn't get back on track, his contract isn't so burdensome that they should sacrifice a top 10 pick to get rid of him.  I think a more realistic trade (and one that I would still do) is the same trade, but with Vonleh swapped in for the #9 pick.  He had a disappointing rookie year, so he might be attainable, and I'd happily take a flier on him at that price.  Playing close to home and for a great coach could do wonders for his development. Not sure the Hornets do that one either, but I'd say it's more likely than them giving up #9.
I hope thats the case.
I personally see Vonleh as a greater talent than anyone likely to be available at 9 plus he is younger than many players in this draft.

Hometown kid, who seems like a perfect fit for Brad. Sign me up.

Bottom line is that Charlotte has to really hate Lance and love AB to do this deal.

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2015, 10:27:49 PM »

Offline P stoff

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 31
Still think adding one of Harris or Middleton in FA ...then package AB/picks/filler to trade up.  Also, Houston could trade of one of Capela or Montejunis, (for picks/KO, filler) so maybe keep our eyes on them.

If you can trade for a center, then draft Porzingis.  Go with RJ Hunter late 1st.

Added length, athleticism and scoring

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2015, 11:07:55 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
IF Stephensons' mind is right
  A huge "IF" if there ever was one.

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2015, 11:19:57 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2932
I posted nearly this exact trade a couple of weeks ago, and it got a mixed bag similar to this.

I'm all for it, especially if we decide to go young. Johnson, WCS, and Turner all have the ability to be better than Bradley, and we'd have a really good young core by adding one of them to Smart, Young, Sully, and KO.

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2015, 08:05:45 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
IF Stephensons' mind is right
  A huge "IF" if there ever was one.

Hence the capital letters lol
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby