Poll

Would you trade James Young + Clippers pick for a top 10 pick ?

Yes
41 (82%)
No
9 (18%)

Total Members Voted: 50

Author Topic: Would you trade James Young + Clippers pick for a top 10 pick ?  (Read 8077 times)

Re: Would you trade James Young + Clippers pick for a top 10 pick ?
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2015, 10:21:18 AM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
With all due respect, I don't think that what you're offering is enough to get into the top ten. Young hasn't shown nearly enough and the 28th pick is not great. Maybe Young and the 16th pick gets you there, but I have my doubts even about that.

This. Chicago had to to trade the 16th and 19th pick, their 2015 second rounder, AND take on Anthony Randolph's contract just to move up to 11th. You're not getting a top 10 pick for a super late first rounder and James Young, who's barely a fringe NBA player at this point. It's absolutely just not happening.

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2015, 10:26:39 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
With all due respect, I don't think that what you're offering is enough to get into the top ten. Young hasn't shown nearly enough and the 28th pick is not great. Maybe Young and the 16th pick gets you there, but I have my doubts even about that.

This. Chicago had to to trade the 16th and 19th pick, their 2015 second rounder, AND take on Anthony Randolph's contract just to move up to 11th. You're not getting a top 10 pick for a super late first rounder and James Young, who's barely a fringe NBA player at this point. It's absolutely just not happening.
You realize that the quote that spurned the creation of this thread was from a gm, who said Young would be a top 10 pick this year? I personally trust his evaluation of Young more than your fringe NBA player valuation.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2015, 10:52:10 AM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
Uhh, what? A GM saying that James Young, as a complete unknown quantity, would be drafted in the top 10 this year is not in any way equivalent to saying that James Young, as a one-yet NBA veteran, is worth a top 10 draft pick. Teams draft in the lottery largely based on potential; James Young has the physical tools that would appeal to teams looking for prospects in the draft. Unfortunately, after a season in the league, he's shown no NBA-quality skill yet.

A few GMs thought Darko Milicic deserved to be drafted in the top 5 going into the 2003 NBA draft.  You think there's any way Detroit would've then been able to flip him for a top 5 pick in the 2004 NBA draft after his first season? Of course not.

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2015, 11:04:19 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

The primary motivation of that trade was to clear cap by paying 1 first rounder instead if 2. Anthony Randolph Iirc was nongarunteed so he was viewed as another cap-clearing asset
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2015, 11:09:09 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
Uhh, what? A GM saying that James Young, as a complete unknown quantity, would be drafted in the top 10 this year is not in any way equivalent to saying that James Young, as a one-yet NBA veteran, is worth a top 10 draft pick. Teams draft in the lottery largely based on potential; James Young has the physical tools that would appeal to teams looking for prospects in the draft. Unfortunately, after a season in the league, he's shown no NBA-quality skill yet.

A few GMs thought Darko Milicic deserved to be drafted in the top 5 going into the 2003 NBA draft.  You think there's any way Detroit would've then been able to flip him for a top 5 pick in the 2004 NBA draft after his first season? Of course not.
If a GM thinks he would be a top 10 pick this year, he presumably thinks that he has more value than at least one of the players in the top 10. So yes a gm saying he would be picked in the top 10 this year means at least one gm would trade him for a top 10 pick.

I don't understand your distinction at all.

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2015, 11:12:09 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I would if it was someone we really want.   Depends on who it is for.

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2015, 11:17:29 AM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff

If a GM thinks he would be a top 10 pick this year, he presumably thinks that he has more value than at least one of the players in the top 10. So yes a gm saying he would be picked in the top 10 this year means at least one gm would trade him for a top 10 pick.

In an alternate reality where James Young wasn't drafted last year: "hey, there's this James Young guy who's spent two years out at Kentucky. He's got a good shooting stroke and great size for a wing player, let's take a chance on his potential in the top 10 since we don't know what we have with him."

In the actual reality where James Young was drafted last year: "hey, there's this James Young guy who has the physical frame to be an NBA-caliber wing player, but he's been completely underwhelming in the league after one season. If we didn't know what we know now, you'd probably draft him in the top 10 this year based on his potential because he theoretically would have been one of the more promising wing prospects in this draft."

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2015, 11:18:02 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

Yup, Im with you on this one too ET. TP.

« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2015, 11:31:28 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336

You realize that the quote that spurned the creation of this thread was from a gm, who said Young would be a top 10 pick this year? I personally trust his evaluation of Young more than your fringe NBA player valuation.

Must be a really down year at the top of the draft, if you think a guy who was thoroughly overwhelmed in the league this year would be a top 10 pick.

Just takes one delusional GM, though, to make a deal ...
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 11:37:03 AM by CoachBo »
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2015, 11:41:38 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley

Must be a really down year at the top of the draft, if you think a guy who was thoroughly overwhelmed in the league this year would be a top 10 pick.
He was one of the youngest players in the draft last year. I don't think anyone should realistically expected production out of him this year. Players are drafted because of what they are going to be long term, not what they show in year one.

« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2015, 12:40:14 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

For the most part I agree with you.  He could very well be saying, from what we've seen of James Young in the D-league, he'd be a top 10 pick this year.  However, he is now under team control for one less year, which might mean said GM still wouldn't trade a top 10 pick for him, since James Young today with 4 years under control > James Young today with 3 years under control.

« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2015, 12:50:14 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
No.  A team in Boston's situation doesn't need to be making that sort of gamble.  Is anyone we could get at 8, 9 or 10 going to really elevate the team?

Mike
Is Young really going to elevate the team when he couldn't even get playing time as a rookie?  Is the #28 pick going to elevate the team?

I find myself at a loss when confronted by this thinking.

James Young won't turn 20 until this coming August.  AUGUST.  Is not being able to get playing time in the NBA when you're 19 supposed to be some horrible sin?  Especially on a team that isn't tanking?

And there's a chance that #28 could turn into Robert Upshaw.

Mike

« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2015, 12:50:41 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I would ,   But I don't see anybody taking the offer.

« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2015, 01:01:37 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
It will take our 16 and young to move into the top 10. Could be what some teams want vs 16 and 28 for a near top 10 pick

For WCS or porzingis yes. Not for oubre, johnson or turner. Young could end up being better than oubre or johnson(who is short for a sf)

« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2015, 01:05:42 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
It will take our 16 and young to move into the top 10. Could be what some teams want vs 16 and 28 for a near top 10 pick

For WCS or porzingis yes. Not for oubre, johnson or turner. Young could end up being better than oubre or johnson(who is short for a sf)
I'd do that for Johnson or Turner but not Oubre. Johnson might be slightly shorter than Young, but Johnson is also 242 solid muscle, with a similar wingspan to Young. I think he can guard 3's.