Poll

Would you trade James Young + Clippers pick for a top 10 pick ?

Yes
41 (82%)
No
9 (18%)

Total Members Voted: 50

Author Topic: Would you trade James Young + Clippers pick for a top 10 pick ?  (Read 8098 times)

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Some say that James Young would be a top 12 pick if he'd stayed in college and had entered this draft.
We haven't seen everything he can do but we have gauged a sense of his attitude/heart to a lesser extent.

So let's say Danny gets a call and comes back into the war room and you've had an offer from the team with pick #9....
So would you ship out James Young+ The Clippers pick if it meant we could get pick number 8,9 or 10?

I would do this. Why?
We'd then have a top 10 pick and our own #16 pick.
If we really like someone like Heznoja or Porzingris or Willy Cauley Stein, and they are around at #7 through #10 then we can combine these two great picks to get the lottery player we want.
I wonder if #9 + #16 could net us Justise Winslow if he's around at #6 or #7 ?

On the James Young side, I'm not in love with his attitude. As Paul Pierce would say, I'm not sure that Young 'wants it' bad enough. But he is very young....

What would you do?
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Re: Would you trade James Young + Clippers pick for a top 10 pick ?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2015, 12:02:31 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Yes, in a heartbeat.

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2015, 12:08:59 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Question - what team did you have in mind, because while I like Young and would like to see him develop, are we talking about a similar scenario to Bradley and the 16th pick for Utah's spot at 12?  Was there even anything to that rumor, btw, or did someone just make that up?

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2015, 02:34:31 AM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232
Question - what team did you have in mind, because while I like Young and would like to see him develop, are we talking about a similar scenario to Bradley and the 16th pick for Utah's spot at 12?  Was there even anything to that rumor, btw, or did someone just make that up?

Yeah. Zach Lowe wrote an article a month or two ago about how well Utah was playing after the ASG break, and in that article he talked about the feeling in Utah being that they have a good core ready to start competing now and they'll be looking to make a move for a fairly young, proven productive player with a decent contract who fits into their timetable. AB was the first name on his list of the kind of guys they're looking for. Apparently Ainge turned down a late 1st (Via GSW?) and expirings from a handful of teams at the deadline and they were one of them. He suggested that they could be willing to trade their pick this year (#12 right now) for him, and include Hood of Danny still says no. I'd think Ainge might go for that. Hood gives you a good SG/SF with a pretty good jumper. And getting #12 without giving up 16 would be huge. Could probably get to #7 just by rolling together all 3 1sts.

But yeah, I'm not sure about that kinda deal with Young. Some good basketball minds think he has the highest upside of anyone we have not named Marcus, but he had a chance to get some minutes and didn't do enough to warrant continued PT. He's still just 19, and he played really well in the D league. He hasn't de-valued much, but he's still a project. One that will take a while to fully develop. And I really don't know about Miami, Charlotte or Detroit taking just him, 16 and 28 to move oh into their range. They all plan on competing next year. Denver looks like they're launching up a rebuild, so they could be takers. #7 is more valuable than 10. I think they'd at least want a little more.

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2015, 05:26:01 AM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
I would do it, but still, I'd be hoping James Young's growth wouldn't come back to haunt us in a few years if he develops very well with another team.

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2015, 06:07:58 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Yes.  I do think Young has the potential to become a very good player down the line, but I think I'd take anyone in my top 9 this year over him.  Mind you, I'm very hopeful that we could pull off such a trade with Detroit (also including something like the Minny pick) to draft WCS (If WCS is available, it's very likely that the top college wings are gone, and something tells me SVG wouldn't want a foreign player like Hezonja.)  They need help on the wing, Young is from the Detroit area, and WCS is a terrible fit for that team.  Although I think the more likely trade (understanding that all trades are unlikely, so conditional probability for those who care) would be 16 and Young.

In other words, if Winslow and Johnson are off the board, but WCS isn't, when Detroit is picking, I think Danny has a decent chance to pull off a swap of Young and 16 to move to 8, and a lesser shot of Young, 28, and some likely early 2nd rounder (Philly or Minny picks).

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2015, 06:32:45 AM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
With all due respect, I don't think that what you're offering is enough to get into the top ten. Young hasn't shown nearly enough and the 28th pick is not great. Maybe Young and the 16th pick gets you there, but I have my doubts even about that.

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2015, 07:14:36 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
Depends on who is there.  I like Young and think he could be a really good player.  He was a five star recruit and number 8 overall coming out of high school, and just 20.  Just needs a year or so to grow into the NBA.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2015, 07:14:52 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
In an absolute heart beat.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2015, 07:56:51 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Yup .....I'm a fan ....but I would bite.

I guess I'd trade him as part of pkg ....to get WCS

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2015, 09:18:43 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
No.  A team in Boston's situation doesn't need to be making that sort of gamble.  Is anyone we could get at 8, 9 or 10 going to really elevate the team?

Mike

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2015, 09:32:52 AM »

Offline Rakulp

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 78
He's probably more valuable as a trade chip to get a free agent than to move up in the draft.  Being a young rookie with upside is a great selling point to a team that may not really want to trade their superstar.  Combining him with some of our other assets could land us a solid player, as opposed to a higher draft pick.

Just my thoughts.

Rak

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2015, 09:44:07 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550
No.  A team in Boston's situation doesn't need to be making that sort of gamble.  Is anyone we could get at 8, 9 or 10 going to really elevate the team?

Mike
Is Young really going to elevate the team when he couldn't even get playing time as a rookie?  Is the #28 pick going to elevate the team?  There are at least 9 players in this draft that I'd definitely rather have than Young. 

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2015, 10:03:25 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Mike
Is Young really going to elevate the team when he couldn't even get playing time as a rookie?  Is the #28 pick going to elevate the team?  There are at least 9 players in this draft that I'd definitely rather have than Young. 
beat me to it.  anyone in this year's top 9-10 are more likely to have a positive impact on this team than Young and #28 combined.

if it was Young and 16 to move up to something like 8, I'd do it.  If the rumor for AB for #12 (Utah pick) were true, I'd pull the trigger on that deal as well. 
an overall deal of AB, Young, 16 for 8 and 12 (WCS and Turner/Johnson) wouldn't suck

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2015, 10:13:35 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
It depends who is on the board at that time. If we can get Myles Turner, Stanley Johnson or WCS I absolutely would.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19