Author Topic: We're not that far off....  (Read 10518 times)

We're not that far off....
« on: May 14, 2015, 05:55:12 PM »

Offline joepatsfan

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 6
From being legit contenders.

http://joepatsfan.blogspot.com/2015/05/the-state-of-celtics.html

The Celtics were able to surprise this season and come together as a band of misfits to make the playoffs without a definitive star (Thomas doesn’t count either). This team has some of the pieces that a championship team would need. The biggest thing missing is one or two main stars or scorers that the team can depend on. But, looking at the roster, Thomas would be a great bench scorer for a contender. A guy like Jae Crowder would be a great high energy guy for a championship team as well. And guys like Smart, Sully and Olynyk are all great contributors that I can see being a part of winning teams if the Celtics can find a star to lead them. The Celtics are in great shape in terms of salary cap as well, because they have gotten rid of every big contract on the roster (Rondo, Green, etc.). Not to mention the gross Gerald Wallace contract is up soon, which will free up even more space for the team.

The crop of free agents this offseason is deep and the Celtics can certainly be serious buyers in this summer’s awaited frenzy. Obviously the biggest issue for the Celtics has always been getting the big name players to come to Boston. I think they did a great job in recruiting Love to want to be in Boston, but the Minnesota front office just didn’t want to send their best player to Boston, again. It also helps that the Cavs offered to send the possible future of the league Andrew Wiggins in a deal for Love. Back to the point, if the Celtics are able to pull off a deal for Cousins, they would have a starting point and could sign one or two more big name guys to solidify the roster and become serious Eastern Conference contenders. The Celtics could target the likes of Marc Gasol, LaMarcus Aldridge, Kawhi Leonard, Jimmy Butler, Greg Monroe or DeAndre Jordan and completely change the look of the team. Say the Celtics were able to sign any one of these players then sign a very good second option like Wesley Matthews, Draymond Green or Josh Smith then boom the team would go from a surprise playoff team in the East to a team that could contend for a top four seed and give the front runners real trouble.

The fact of the matter is the Celtics have all the flexibility in the world with all the cap space and draft picks. It also doesn’t hurt that they have one of the more savvy general managers in the league in Danny Ainge who could make almost any trade happen. So I will stick to my optimistic narrative that I employed last year around this time: the Celtics will be fine, the rebuild is not going to be as long as people think. I believe the Celtics are in a spot where they can easily be contenders by next season at the earliest and they will be contending for the East sometime in the coming years. That is almost a guarantee. Ainge has put this team in almost too perfect a position to quickly reload the roster and bring a winning culture back to Boston. The big splash that was promised last off season is coming soon. Hopefully it is this off season, but the big splash is coming and when it does the Celtics will be back.

Re: We're not that far off....
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2015, 07:10:09 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
We aren't far from contending as long as you assume bringing in three all-stars is an easy thing to accomplish.

As-is, this is probably a 35-45 win roster. Without major additions, it would be a 50/50 shot of making the playoffs next year.

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2015, 07:25:29 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
As equipped .....no changes .....35 min- top out about 45 ish

I feel ,  though ......Smart , Sully and KO will be better .....hopefully Zeller too.

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2015, 07:54:07 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2525
We're not far off... from where we were in 2007 before KG, RA, James Posey and Eddie House arrived.    The 2006-7 C's lost Pierce for about half the year, but with Pierce healthy, I don't see them much differently than I see the 2014-15 C's (sans the future picks).  Young Rondo, Perk, Tony Allen, Delonte, Wally, Powe, Big Al, and Scal.    Lots of heart and hustle, some good young talent.   With Pierce healthy and Brad Stevens, they could have won 35. 

So that means that it's possible that DA turns what he has now into a contender ("anything's possible"), but to suggest we really "aren't far off" is not really true.

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2015, 08:17:15 PM »

Offline Greenback

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 63
  • Take away love and the earth is a tomb. ~ Browning
I think its true.  Money talks and the Celtics will be spending.  A boatload of draft picks.  The best GM.  The best coach.  The best fans. The best franchise history.  Enjoy the ride to the top.
Everyone wants truth on his side, not everyone wants to be on the side of truth.

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2015, 08:20:06 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228

as currently constituted this team is way far off. this team made the playoffs because of the east being weak. playing the cavs close is not a way to gauge this team.

we have a bunch of bench players that's it. 

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2015, 08:38:46 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
This team needs a defensive presence in the middle in the worst way. Someone that's athletic.

They need a free agent scorer at SF, (along with Crowder backing up, getting minutes at SF and PF.)

If possible, an athletic PF that can rebound, and defend, (FA, trade or draft) behind a well conditioned Sully.

Some solid bench help, (James Young) that can score at the SG position. Best available in the draft, and some good health.

and we'll win 48-50 games.

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2015, 09:10:35 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
We aren't far from contending as long as you assume bringing in three all-stars is an easy thing to accomplish.

As-is, this is probably a 35-45 win roster. Without major additions, it would be a 50/50 shot of making the playoffs next year.

Throw all the pessimism you want at this thread, you can't deny that a .500 team is not far off.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2015, 09:16:42 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
They've got a core in place that, with this coach, has a fighting chance at making it to 40-45 wins each season.  But also plenty of room for faltering and finishing with 30.

Finding the necessary pieces to get beyond that to having a shot at 50-55 wins in any given season is the hardest part of rebuilding, though.  Most rebuilding teams get to where the Celts are now. It is, however, very impressive that it only took Danny and Coach Brad a year and change to reach this point.

Still, not many teams get to that next step without stumbling and reshuffling once or twice or five times.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2015, 09:29:04 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
We have cap space and 4 draft picks and a brilliant GM.

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2015, 09:31:55 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.

Throw all the pessimism you want at this thread, you can't deny that a .500 team is not far off.

Not far off from what?
We have maybe one  or two NBA starters om our entire rosters. How many of our guys would start for a top 8 playoff  team?
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2015, 11:05:52 PM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123
The negativity on this board stinks and it sucks.

Talent wise we are far off, but positioning wise, we are close.

Also, its pointless to say we will be a bad team next year as it's assume we will sit on our hands all summer and bring in no help.

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2015, 11:09:22 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

as currently constituted this team is way far off. this team made the playoffs because of the east being weak. playing the cavs close is not a way to gauge this team.

we have a bunch of bench players that's it.

This pretty much sums it up.

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2015, 11:10:30 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Also, its pointless to say we will be a bad team next year as it's assume we will sit on our hands all summer and bring in no help.

Right, but we can acknowledge that it's possible the best move on the table will be to make the most of the draft picks, maybe make one or two modest buy-low signings, and head into next year with a very similar roster.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2015, 11:13:44 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

Right, but we can acknowledge that it's possible the best move on the table will be to make the most of the draft picks, maybe make one or two modest buy-low signings, and head into next year with a very similar roster.

God I hope this doesn't end up being the case.