Author Topic: can you list 3 good shot blockers/rebounders that could shoot the three?  (Read 9772 times)

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
andrei kirilenko back in his prime could block shots and knock down a three ball if I remember correctly
Greg

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
It is what makes a guy like Ibaka so special - there are really almost no other players like him in the league. You can put him with literally any other type of big man and it would make sense.

Which is why it's hilarious that people think OKC don't value Ibaka and would just easily trade him away. He's the perfect third-option guy on offense who also manages to anchor their defense.

I can't think of any attainable big man who would improve OKC over what Ibaka does for them.

Great observation here:  the 3rd option who can be a defensive leader.

Maybe we focus too much right now on finding the #1 guy?

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
My first thought was that the OP was thinking of Porzingis.

How about our very own Kelly Olynyk?

right now KO can't rebound/shot block better than some sfs in the nba

He actually averaged 9.4 rebounds per 36 in his rookie year, but only 0.7 blocks per 36.  This season he had some injury issues so his rebounding dropped (7.7 per 36) but his shot blocking improved to 1.0 block per 36, which is pretty respectable (if not intimidating) along with 1.6 Steals Per 36. 

If he can string those two numbers together (i.e. average 9.5 RP36, 1.0 BP36, 1.6 SP36) while continuing to develop his offensive game (16.6 PP36, 2.8 AP36) he quietly mold himself in to a very nice player.   

A player putting up Per-36-Minutes numbers of 16.5 / 9.5 / 2.8 / 1.6 / 1.0 while shooting 47% / 35% / 75% (Olynyk's career percentages so far) would be quite a rarity in this league. 

In fact that's not too far off what he's already averaging Per-36 for his career so far, which is 16.1 / 8.5 / 2.8 / 1.3 / 0.8 / 47% / 35% / 75% with an Assist/TO rate of 1.1 to boot.

Olynyk is a nicer player than people realise. IMHO he's already a significant level above Sully as a player, and the fact that he's not yet maxed out any of those skills suggests to me that he has a LOT of potential. 
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 09:27:51 PM by crimson_stallion »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
Only one person has mentioned LeBron?

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

True. Shot blocking not so much

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

Lebron for his career (as a 6'8" 260 lbs small forward with among the greatest physical gifts of any player in the league) has averaged 6.5 rebounds and 0.7 blocks per 36 minutes.  This is despite the fact that he's spent number of minutes at the PF spot throughout his career.  He's only averaged over 6.5 Rebounds-Per-36 four times, and only averaged over 0.7 Blocks-Per-36 five times...out of his 12 year career. 

In fact for his career Paul Pierce's rebound (5.9) and block (0.6) numbers on a per-36 minute basis aren't far off that, and he has certainly never been perceived as a great shot-blocker or rebounder (albeit a very good one, relative to his position).

Even Dwyane Wade hasn't been too far off Lebron's numbers (4.9 rebounds and 0.9 blocks) when you consider that he's a 6'4" shooting guard, who has spent a significant number of minutes at the PG spot, and has been injured for much of the past 3 or 4 seasons. 

Lebron is an outstanding player - one of the best ever - but he is dramatically over rated in a number of areas - two of which are defense and rebounding.  Playmaking and ball handling are two others.  Lebron is very good in the latter areas, but is nowhere near elite PG level (as many would have you to believe). 

Lebron is basically elite in two areas (physical ability and outright scoring) and outside of these two areas it's his versatility (i.e. being above-average-to-good at lots of everything) and relative lack of flaws that make him such a special player.

The much preached story (that Lebron is among NBA elite at rebounding, passing, ball handling, shooting, defense, etc) is a false reality that the league would like you to believe about their current league messiah. 
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 10:07:31 PM by crimson_stallion »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
andrei kirilenko back in his prime could block shots and knock down a three ball if I remember correctly

That's why I'm intrigued by Kristpas Porzingis, If he can develop that's a rare and valuable skillset to possess.

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
If you go by tonight's game, Al Horford
I'm bitter.

Offline zubi.anaba

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 11

Lebron for his career (as a 6'8" 260 lbs small forward with among the greatest physical gifts of any player in the league) has averaged 6.5 rebounds and 0.7 blocks per 36 minutes.  This is despite the fact that he's spent number of minutes at the PF spot throughout his career.  He's only averaged over 6.5 Rebounds-Per-36 four times, and only averaged over 0.7 Blocks-Per-36 five times...out of his 12 year career. 

Lebron only started playing PF out of necessity in the 2nd yr PO with the Heat!!! With BOsh their only competent big going down, the team was forced to adjust on the fly and Lebron was putting up 30+ppg 10+rpg 6+asp on [dang] near 45% shooting. Lets not even talk about the defensive responsibility he had on the team. No player in NBA history has shown that combination of versatility at elite levels.

In fact for his career Paul Pierce's rebound (5.9) and block (0.6) numbers on a per-36 minute basis aren't far off that, and he has certainly never been perceived as a great shot-blocker or rebounder (albeit a very good one, relative to his position).

Even Dwyane Wade hasn't been too far off Lebron's numbers (4.9 rebounds and 0.9 blocks) when you consider that he's a 6'4" shooting guard, who has spent a significant number of minutes at the PG spot, and has been injured for much of the past 3 or 4 seasons.

Using per 36min to gauge is pretty meaningless given the circumstances that happen in the PO!!When Bosh went down, Miami absolutely needed Lebron to put 30 10 and 6 and guarding the others teams biggest threat the WHOLE PO while playing 43+ minutes a night!! Wade and Pierce have never been remotely capable of shouldering that kind of load for 1 week of intense PO bball not to talk of 5-6wks!!!Even more daunting when you factor in the pressure he was under to win. Think about the fact that if he is not doing that while avg 43+minutes, his team is going to lose. Per 36min stats are pretty useless under such scenarios

Lebron is an outstanding player - one of the best ever - but he is dramatically over rated in a number of areas - two of which are defense and rebounding.  Playmaking and ball handling are two others.  Lebron is very good in the latter areas, but is nowhere near elite PG level (as many would have you to believe). 

Call him overrated yet not a single player in NBA history has been able to consistently do all those things together all at the same time at elite levels!!! Pretty sure over the Cs series he passed Pippen for most career assists by a non-guard!!! If his playmaking is overrated, then so is the playmaking of every non-guard in NBA history (including Bird ;) ;))

Lebron is basically elite in two areas (physical ability and outright scoring) and outside of these two areas it's his versatility (i.e. being above-average-to-good at lots of everything) and relative lack of flaws that make him such a special player.

The much preached story (that Lebron is among NBA elite at rebounding, passing, ball handling, shooting, defense, etc) is a false reality that the league would like you to believe about their current league messiah.

I guess Bird and Tim where the ones that have had to carry their teams and do every thing for them while gets to sit back and kick his feet up ::) ::)

I remember this Quote from Simmons (biggest Bird/Celtic homer you will ever find) years ago in the NBA finals

For three quarters, LeBron James played at the single highest level I have ever seen from him. (Yes, I went to Game 6 of last round’s Boston series.) This was the greatest Bird impression ever attempted (and executed), something that could only be called “power point guard.” He did whatever he wanted on the low post, crashed the boards, got his teammates involved, made the right play time and time again … it was like watching Bird 2.0, only if Bird was also one of the three best defenders in the league. To repeat: LeBron was playing like a rich man’s version of the fifth-best basketball player of all time. I don’t care how much you hated “The Decision” — if you can’t appreciate what LeBron James is doing right now, you need to start following another sport. It’s one of the greatest night-to-night athletic feats we have ever witnessed.

Again there is not a single all time great that has been able to CONSISTENLY impact every facet of the game at ELITE levels like Lebron can. It really isnt close
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 04:00:12 AM by zubi.anaba »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Antetokounmpo is on his way to becoming exactly that. 
This season there was a regress in his 3p% but the reason is probably the sample is too small (0.5 3p attempts per game).

Offline GC003332

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 62

Lebron only started playing PF out of necessity in the 2nd yr PO with the Heat!!! With BOsh their only competent big going down, the team was forced to adjust on the fly and Lebron was putting up 30+ppg 10+rpg 6+asp on [dang] near 45% shooting. Lets not even talk about the defensive responsibility he had on the team. No player in NBA history has shown that combination of versatility at elite levels.

Using per 36min to gauge is pretty meaningless given the circumstances that happen in the PO!!When Bosh went down, Miami absolutely needed Lebron to put 30 10 and 6 and guarding the others teams biggest threat the WHOLE PO while playing 43+ minutes a night!! Wade and Pierce have never been remotely capable of shouldering that kind of load for 1 week of intense PO bball not to talk of 5-6wks!!!Even more daunting when you factor in the pressure he was under to win. Think about the fact that if he is not doing that while avg 43+minutes, his team is going to lose. Per 36min stats are pretty useless under such scenarios

Call him overrated yet not a single player in NBA history has been able to consistently do all those things together all at the same time at elite levels!!! Pretty sure over the Cs series he passed Pippen for most career assists by a non-guard!!! If his playmaking is overrated, then so is the playmaking of every non-guard in NBA history (including Bird ;) ;))

I guess Bird and Tim where the ones that have had to carry their teams and do every thing for them while gets to sit back and kick his feet up ::) ::)

I remember this Quote from Simmons (biggest Bird/Celtic homer you will ever find) years ago in the NBA finals

For three quarters, LeBron James played at the single highest level I have ever seen from him. (Yes, I went to Game 6 of last round’s Boston series.) This was the greatest Bird impression ever attempted (and executed), something that could only be called “power point guard.” He did whatever he wanted on the low post, crashed the boards, got his teammates involved, made the right play time and time again … it was like watching Bird 2.0, only if Bird was also one of the three best defenders in the league. To repeat: LeBron was playing like a rich man’s version of the fifth-best basketball player of all time. I don’t care how much you hated “The Decision” — if you can’t appreciate what LeBron James is doing right now, you need to start following another sport. It’s one of the greatest night-to-night athletic feats we have ever witnessed.

Again there is not a single all time great that has been able to CONSISTENLY impact every facet of the game at ELITE levels like Lebron can. It really isnt close

That last line is not even close to the truth

Check out Hakeem's 2 championship runs
The first in 94 he arguably had the least amount of help to win a championship of a superstar ever.
That 95 run is one for the ages , had to win 4 straight series on the road and beat 3 power house western teams just to get to Orlando.
His impact on both sides of the ball was just amazing.
Don't even get started on MJ....

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
McHale at the end of his career comes to mind.

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
To be funny I was going to Olajuwon since he shot 42.1% from three in 93/94 when he averaged a meager 11.9 rebounds, 3.7 blocks, and 1.6 steals.  Of course he only shot 19 threes all year.

Two guys came to mind for me.  One of them was Bol, but then I looked him up and he was a terrible three point shooter and really didn't shoot that many.

The other was Arvydas Sabonis, who seems to be the guy that really does most fit this category and was pretty much the first guy to play this way (not coincidentally he was one of the first Europeans to really make it here).  It really is a shame that Sabonis never came to the NBA before his knee injuries.  He could have gone down as one of the all time greats, but his prime was ruined playing for a communist country in Europe (and that was a time when European basketball wasn't very good). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip