Author Topic: Mad Max: Fury Road Receiving Widespread Critical Acclaim  (Read 12910 times)

Mad Max: Fury Road Receiving Widespread Critical Acclaim
« on: May 13, 2015, 03:50:35 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I gotta admit that I haven't seen the original low budget Mad Max movies in a long looong time.    The trailer for this new one caught my eye... it looks like some kind of post apocalyptic cirque du soleiu.   Hard not to get a little jazzed when seeing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_4nzm9ICuo

So I was cautiously optimistic.  I read a little bit about it and was surprised to realize this "reboot" is being directed by the same dude who directed the first three (George Miller).   What a strange career that guy has had.  He does those low budget "Mad Max" movies... follows it up with "Witches of Eastwick" and "Lorenzo's Oil"... hmmm, ok...   Then does the two "Babe" (with the cute pig) kid movies followed by the two "Happy Feet (dancing penguin)" movies... Wait, what?.... then back to Max Max.   Strange career. 

So apparently this movie is some kind of hybrid sequel/reboot/spiritual re-imagination of the original two.  He had wanted to do it for years with Mel Gibson reprising his role and inevitably (for age/scandal reasons) decided to re-cast with Tom Hardy.  Kinda going the James Bond route with it. 

Fascinated to learn that the main baddie in this one:

Is played by the same actor who played the the main baddie in the original:

... Though as a different character.  So yeah... sort of a spiritual re-imagination of the first two movies.

The early reviews are in.  So far on Metacritic based on 21 reviews it has a 88/100:  http://www.metacritic.com/movie/mad-max-fury-road  ... I expect it has to drop a bit, because 88 is insanely high.  For context, generally only oscar contenders like Selma (89), Birdman (88), Whiplash (88) score that high.  American Sniper and "Theory of Everything" both got a 72.   Generally you don't see action films score anywhere near that.  "The Dark Knight" scored an 82.  Movies like The Avengers score in the 60s.   I would have expected this to be something like the movie "300" which scored a 51... so the rave reviews are a bit surprising. 

So far on Rotten Tomatoes it has a 98% based on 54 reviews.  http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/mad_max_fury_road/   The only "rotten" review gave it 2 out of 5 stars and commented,  "Noisy, explosive and visually spectacular but depressingly hollow"... so it's good to know the worst-case scenario here is "visually spectacular".   Best-case scenario?... respected critics like Richard Roeper are calling it one of the best action movies ever. 

I'm pumped to see it. 
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 12:59:13 PM by LarBrd33 »

Re: Mad Max: Fury Road
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2015, 02:31:08 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
It now has a 90/100 on Metacritic based on 29 reviews.

99% on RottenTomatoes based on 87 reviews.

Woah

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2015, 07:52:18 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
It has to be a awesome

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2015, 08:06:22 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I was in home form college the weekend the original first Mad Max movie debuted .

There was zero interest in my town.     I think it was considered a drive in B movie that got put in theater .    But the ad was intriguing and we were not expecting much when we went to see it opening night.

There were only 7 people in the giant old time theater ......that included us two......I wondered if they were even going to run it.....LOL

We went in thinking this could suck royally

But ......latter we drank beer and talked all night about how actually good it was.

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2015, 08:34:42 AM »

Offline jordb2k5

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 16
Wife and I are seeing this tonight!  Can't wait I think this will be the best summer movie.  Side note I'll be very disappointed if Pitch Perfect 2 beats it at the box office, which it probably will. 

I will post some thoughts spoiler free tonight if I get time.

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2015, 09:29:24 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
  Can't wait I think this will be the best summer movie.  Side note I'll be very disappointed if Pitch Perfect 2 beats it at the box office, which it probably will.
  I'd be worried less about Pitch Perfect, you have to be sarcastic, suggesting this as the original only made 65 million and the first was a modest success.   I know there was a website suggesting that it would give it a run but that was patently absurd.

I would be more worried about the Avengers.

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2015, 09:52:50 AM »

Offline jordb2k5

• Payton Pritchard
  Can't wait I think this will be the best summer movie.  Side note I'll be very disappointed if Pitch Perfect 2 beats it at the box office, which it probably will.
  I'd be worried less about Pitch Perfect, you have to be sarcastic, suggesting this as the original only made 65 million and the first was a modest success.   I know there was a website suggesting that it would give it a run but that was patently absurd.

I'm not being sarcastic, I think PP2 will beat out Mad Max at the box office for the weekend.  I really really hope I'm wrong on this I've never seen the first PP even.  Mad Max is rated R so that has to factor in as well.  Not saying in anyway shape or form that PP2 will be better than MMFR at all.  Pitch Perfect and Anna Kendrick have grown in popularity since the original. 

We shall see when the weekend ends, I hope Mad Max is on top it blows my mind that people would pay to see PP2 when MMFR is out there but what can you do. 

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2015, 01:02:42 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

I'm not being sarcastic, I think PP2 will beat out Mad Max at the box office for the weekend.  I really really hope I'm wrong on this I've never seen the first PP even.  Mad Max is rated R so that has to factor in as well.  Not saying in anyway shape or form that PP2 will be better than MMFR at all.  Pitch Perfect and Anna Kendrick have grown in popularity since the original. 

We shall see when the weekend ends, I hope Mad Max is on top it blows my mind that people would pay to see PP2 when MMFR is out there but what can you do.
It depends on word of mouth. I don't think mad max necessarily has a huge following waiting to see the film.   But the fact that it's receiving widespread critical acclaim will help. Based on the reviews, this is a transcendent action masterpiece.  I think a lot of people are expecting another tired reboot by some hacky director cashing in on a vaguely familiar franchise. Instead, it appears we are getting a game-changer.

Re: Mad Max: Fury Road Receiving Widespread Critical Acclaim
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2015, 01:16:46 PM »

Offline acieEarl

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 47
The background on the first Mad Max is pretty cool. Miller made the first one on a super low budget for something like half a million dollars. The biker scenes were done by a local motorcycle gang and there was no sci fi action shots. Miller was on the back of a motorcycle with a 100lb camera shooting the movie.

The second movie "Road Warrior", Miller got the big money to make the movie he really wanted. Loved Road Warrior.

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2015, 01:53:15 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I'm new to the series, and I was looking forward to seeing this tomorrow.

Reading the thread titlle and other media websites about its reception makes me so excited to see it now. Looks like I'm off to a very entertaining Friday.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2015, 02:45:26 PM »

Offline heitingas

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
You guys do realize critics get paid for their reviews right ? Not saying it's a bad movie without seeing it, but just saying.

I watched the first 3 mad max movies btw.

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2015, 02:58:42 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
You guys do realize critics get paid for their reviews right ? Not saying it's a bad movie without seeing it, but just saying.

Lol......

If that's the case, why don't every high budget movie do it then.... Lol
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2015, 03:01:12 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
Anyways, big year for Tom Hardy. Mad Max receiving almost perfect reviews, he has that British gangster flick about the twins (where he plays both twins!!) and The Revenant with Leo Dicaprio coming out later in the year. Dude is on his way to superstardom.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2015, 03:05:59 PM »

Offline jordb2k5

• Payton Pritchard

It depends on word of mouth. I don't think mad max necessarily has a huge following waiting to see the film.   But the fact that it's receiving widespread critical acclaim will help. Based on the reviews, this is a transcendent action masterpiece.  I think a lot of people are expecting another tired reboot by some hacky director cashing in on a vaguely familiar franchise. Instead, it appears we are getting a game-changer.

I agree I am hopeful that this is a masterpiece of a film.  All my point was that I fear like you said it isn't a popular franchise currently.  Tons of bad movies make $ at the box office is what concerns me. 

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2015, 03:08:41 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

You do your job for free, I assume?
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.