Author Topic: ESPN Mock Drafts  (Read 29698 times)

Re: ESPN Mock Drafts
« Reply #105 on: May 25, 2015, 05:20:32 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
More and more it feels to me like Portis will be the pick at 16 if the Celts stay there, although with Danny Ainge you can never rule out him selecting a score-first guard if Payne is available at that spot.
Not much choice but it may turn out well. Take Portis for themselves if he is there or take Payne/Grant for trade back with Rockets. Despite Portis' lack luster combine #s he is similar to Aldridge.
Aldridge vs Portis
Height:6'11 vs 6'10
Wingspan: 7'5 vs 7'2
Standing reach: 9'2 vs 9'1
Weight: 232 vs 246
B.Fat: 8.7 vs 8.9
No step vert: 27" vs 25"
Max Vert: 34" vs 32"
Max vert reach:12' vs 11'8
Agility: 12sec vs 11.7sec
Sprint: 3.47 vs 3.56

Both played 2 years of college ball
College final year pts/fg%/ft%/reb/blk/ast/TO/
Aldridge 34mpg, 15pts, 56fg%, 65% FT, 10rebs, 2 blk
Portis 29mpg, 18pts, 53fg%, 73%FT, 9rebs, 1.2 blk

So Portis has more weight, better scorer, and more agile yet LA was taller and more explosive but not by much.

You can't compare Aldrige to Porter the way you are trying to.  Aldridge went #2 for a reason

There is what have you done in college? vs what you can do in the NBA.

Aldridge though he struggled earlier in his career became a star you see today.  Porter on the other hand is going to have a much tougher time.

This past season in college he couldn't even box out, grab defensive rebounds at times against big sized pf/C.   A guy like Jarell Martin moved Portis around without much fuss.  Even though Portis is listed at 240 pounds, he has narrow shoulders.  This is a disadvantage for big guys on the defensive end

How many big players with narrow shoulders have you seen excel in the NBA??  I can only list a few . Joakim Noah (but you see how hard he has to work. He really worked out hard to build muscle),  Jermaine O'neil (pretty much same as Noah and also had a long wingspan and pretty explosive for size)

Porter is not explosive, has narrow shoulders, good but not great wingspan and vertical and max vertical are below average.

Yes he can score , make the jump shot and has good quickness. Plays with a chip on his shoulder. But can he secure that defensive rebound when you need it late in games? Can he prevent his player from grabbing offensive rebounds?  If we didn't have Sully and KO (perimeter pfs), plus we had a legit center/rim protector, I would be ok with picking up Portis.
Yes I can because I just did. And you helped lay out why he is going 12-16 and not top 5. Similar doesn't mean exact or a clone. I think it's luck to get Portis at 16 if we do.

Portis got pretty much handled by Kentucky.  He was pushed around, out jumped and when guarded by quality players couldn't really do much offensively.     How do you think he is going to do in the NBA then?     Maybe he can add more strength/weight, but how will this affect his quickness?  How will it affect already his poor standstill and max vertical leap?

Some other team can have him.  I hope Danny skips.
It's a team game. You know how much more help Martin had on his team than Portis. Kentucky is stacked so Portis didnt get the help he needs. Much like when Turner played Kentucky. I watched those games not draftexpress breakdowns. Portis is going to be better than no aggression KO and can't stay in shape Sully. We know this team can use any upgrade to this roster even if it's at PF.
I didnt watch the LSU Arkansas game but Portis went for 21 and 15 with 10 offensive boards.

I mean, who bossed who around?

worth noting Martin had 27 and 8 with the same number of defensive boards (5) as Portis.

Martin is a 2nd round talent.
Portis outplayed Martin in that game.

Martin/Mickey arguably  outplayed the towers of Kentucky in their matchup
Terry Rozier outplayed Deangelo Russel in their matchup,
Rakeem Christmas dominated Harrell in their matchup
And Cliff Alexander outplayed Myles Turner in their matchup
Zach Auguste held his own against Karl Towns in their matchup

Also both NBADraft.net and DraftExpress have Martin being selected in the first round

yes Portis did. He let Martin score 27 points.  At least a majority of it.  That is not called outplaying someone

Christmas did outplay Harrell. That is why Harrell is only projected to be a backup 4 in the NBA. His stock has dropping .

I didn't even know Alexandre outplayed Turner.  Even more of a reason to stay away from Turner

Portis and Turner are two guys the Celts should stay away from imo.  We already have KO and Sullinger (undersized, below the rim type players). 

Celtics need to add above the rim , defensive oriented or capable bigs.  I would take the chance on Upshaw and/or draft Mickey later.
Martin outscored Portis (27 vs. 21) and had more steals (2 vs. 0)
Portis had fewer turnover (5 vs. 3) more blocks (2 vs. 1) more rebounds (15 vs. 8 ), more offensive rebounds (10 vs. 3) and more assists (4 vs. 0) in 6 fewer minutes.

I would say Portis outplayed Martin.

you know who else didn't play that game? Jordan Mickey.  Portis would of had less rebounds and likely a few of his shots blocked

You can't ignore Martin was still able to get 27 vs Portis.   

Hard to believe you think letting a guy score 27 points is considered outplaying him.

« Reply #106 on: May 25, 2015, 05:33:11 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
More and more it feels to me like Portis will be the pick at 16 if the Celts stay there, although with Danny Ainge you can never rule out him selecting a score-first guard if Payne is available at that spot.
Not much choice but it may turn out well. Take Portis for themselves if he is there or take Payne/Grant for trade back with Rockets. Despite Portis' lack luster combine #s he is similar to Aldridge.
Aldridge vs Portis
Height:6'11 vs 6'10
Wingspan: 7'5 vs 7'2
Standing reach: 9'2 vs 9'1
Weight: 232 vs 246
B.Fat: 8.7 vs 8.9
No step vert: 27" vs 25"
Max Vert: 34" vs 32"
Max vert reach:12' vs 11'8
Agility: 12sec vs 11.7sec
Sprint: 3.47 vs 3.56

Both played 2 years of college ball
College final year pts/fg%/ft%/reb/blk/ast/TO/
Aldridge 34mpg, 15pts, 56fg%, 65% FT, 10rebs, 2 blk
Portis 29mpg, 18pts, 53fg%, 73%FT, 9rebs, 1.2 blk

So Portis has more weight, better scorer, and more agile yet LA was taller and more explosive but not by much.

You can't compare Aldrige to Porter the way you are trying to.  Aldridge went #2 for a reason

There is what have you done in college? vs what you can do in the NBA.

Aldridge though he struggled earlier in his career became a star you see today.  Porter on the other hand is going to have a much tougher time.

This past season in college he couldn't even box out, grab defensive rebounds at times against big sized pf/C.   A guy like Jarell Martin moved Portis around without much fuss.  Even though Portis is listed at 240 pounds, he has narrow shoulders.  This is a disadvantage for big guys on the defensive end

How many big players with narrow shoulders have you seen excel in the NBA??  I can only list a few . Joakim Noah (but you see how hard he has to work. He really worked out hard to build muscle),  Jermaine O'neil (pretty much same as Noah and also had a long wingspan and pretty explosive for size)

Porter is not explosive, has narrow shoulders, good but not great wingspan and vertical and max vertical are below average.

Yes he can score , make the jump shot and has good quickness. Plays with a chip on his shoulder. But can he secure that defensive rebound when you need it late in games? Can he prevent his player from grabbing offensive rebounds?  If we didn't have Sully and KO (perimeter pfs), plus we had a legit center/rim protector, I would be ok with picking up Portis.
Yes I can because I just did. And you helped lay out why he is going 12-16 and not top 5. Similar doesn't mean exact or a clone. I think it's luck to get Portis at 16 if we do.

Portis got pretty much handled by Kentucky.  He was pushed around, out jumped and when guarded by quality players couldn't really do much offensively.     How do you think he is going to do in the NBA then?     Maybe he can add more strength/weight, but how will this affect his quickness?  How will it affect already his poor standstill and max vertical leap?

Some other team can have him.  I hope Danny skips.
It's a team game. You know how much more help Martin had on his team than Portis. Kentucky is stacked so Portis didnt get the help he needs. Much like when Turner played Kentucky. I watched those games not draftexpress breakdowns. Portis is going to be better than no aggression KO and can't stay in shape Sully. We know this team can use any upgrade to this roster even if it's at PF.
I didnt watch the LSU Arkansas game but Portis went for 21 and 15 with 10 offensive boards.

I mean, who bossed who around?

worth noting Martin had 27 and 8 with the same number of defensive boards (5) as Portis.

Martin is a 2nd round talent.
Portis outplayed Martin in that game.

Martin/Mickey arguably  outplayed the towers of Kentucky in their matchup
Terry Rozier outplayed Deangelo Russel in their matchup,
Rakeem Christmas dominated Harrell in their matchup
And Cliff Alexander outplayed Myles Turner in their matchup
Zach Auguste held his own against Karl Towns in their matchup

Also both NBADraft.net and DraftExpress have Martin being selected in the first round

yes Portis did. He let Martin score 27 points.  At least a majority of it.  That is not called outplaying someone

Christmas did outplay Harrell. That is why Harrell is only projected to be a backup 4 in the NBA. His stock has dropping .

I didn't even know Alexandre outplayed Turner.  Even more of a reason to stay away from Turner

Portis and Turner are two guys the Celts should stay away from imo.  We already have KO and Sullinger (undersized, below the rim type players). 

Celtics need to add above the rim , defensive oriented or capable bigs.  I would take the chance on Upshaw and/or draft Mickey later.
Martin outscored Portis (27 vs. 21) and had more steals (2 vs. 0)
Portis had fewer turnover (5 vs. 3) more blocks (2 vs. 1) more rebounds (15 vs. 8 ), more offensive rebounds (10 vs. 3) and more assists (4 vs. 0) in 6 fewer minutes.

I would say Portis outplayed Martin.

you know who else didn't play that game? Jordan Mickey.  Portis would of had less rebounds and likely a few of his shots blocked

You can't ignore Martin was still able to get 27 vs Portis.   

Hard to believe you think letting a guy score 27 points is considered outplaying him.
Portis didnt dominate Martin, but I think he outplayed him.

Portis scored 6 fewer points and pretty much outperformed Martin in every other statistical category.

You cant just look at the points and say "but he scored this magic number of points so therefor he wins the matchup"

For example I find it hard to believe that you think a guy can get out rebounded 15 to 8 and allow his man to grab 10 offensive rebounds and then say that he outplayed his man.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #107 on: May 25, 2015, 07:20:17 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Let's also not forget play style on the guards and offense. LSU's bigs benefited from some good pick and roll plays that saw the backside big cut in for easy buckets. Arkansas tried more spacing with their bigs and pick and pops harder shots.

« Reply #108 on: May 25, 2015, 09:49:22 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
I wasn't sure where to put this but I think Ainge has positioned us very nicely for the draft in terms of roster spots.  Here is what I think the returning roster will look like along with potential open "slots" for rookies:

PG
Smart, Thomas, ROOKIE (assumes Pressey is cut)

SG
Bradley, Young, ROOKIE (assumes Babb is cut)

SF
Crowder (assumes comes back), Wallace, ROOKIE

PF
Sullinger, Jerebko (assumes he comes back), ROOKIE

C
Zeller, Olynyk, ROOKIE

I know you could squabble over whether Olynyk is a C or a PF but the main point is that this roster allows us to draft the best player available at any position, at least with the first couple of picks.  I don't think this is going to be a great team next year if all we add are rookies but at least it will be a functional roster.

In looking at all of the mocks, it seems like the second half of the first round, very early second round, where we have 3 picks, is being projected to have a number of PFs/Bigs available.  We could take 2 or even 3 bigs (assume Jerebko then doesn't come back) and still have a balanced roster.  Or if there is another player at a different position that looks good, no problem.

I don't think any rookie we pick this year is going to be in the rotation.  We kind of have 3 first round picks so all we can hope for is that we get lucky with one of them that develops way beyond expectation or at least plays well enough for us to have the flexibility to trade someone like Sullinger or Bradley in a package that get us something better.

The point is that we have the roster flexibility to bring these rookies in and give them all a chance.

« Reply #109 on: June 02, 2015, 11:30:37 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Ford Mock
June 2nd

Note:
He mentions that the C's are "intent to move up", which coincides with other reports.

1Karl-Anthony TownsMinnesota TimberwolvesCOLLEGE: KentuckyHT: 6-11WT: 250POS: C
Karl-Anthony Towns is the No. 1-ranked player on my Big Board. However, virtually all the signals from sources inside the Wolves point to Jahlil Okafor being Flip Saunders' favorite right now. That obviously can change as we get closer to the draft. Workouts and interviews and lobbying from staff (I hear most of the rest of the staff favors Towns) could push Towns back atop. And after watching Towns' workout Monday, I believe that the Wolves will figure this out in favor of Towns. Towns has tremendous upside, no glaring weaknesses and he's a better fit in Minnesota, in my opinion, than Okafor. He has the highest ceiling of any player in the draft and I think his impact will come sooner rather than later. And do not totally discount here either. I am told Saunders is also a big fan and might be willing to move Ricky Rubio for the right deal.
PLAYER CARD
2Jahlil OkaforLos Angeles LakersCOLLEGE: DukeHT: 6-11WT: 275POS: C
The Lakers will be elated if Okafor goes No. 1 and Towns slides here. He would be a slam dunk at No. 2. He is a great fit next to Julius Randle in the front court and the best two-way player in the draft. If Towns ends up going No. 1, then things get more complicated. I think the Lakers are torn between Okafor, Russell and Emmanuel Mudiay. However, the Lakers run a more traditional front office than most and have a tradition of dominant big men ruling the paint. I think, at the end of the day, the size of Okafor will win out.
PLAYER CARD
3D'Angelo RussellPhiladelphia 76ersCOLLEGE: Ohio StateHT: 6-5WT: 193POS: PG
As I've said on multiple occasions, landing Russell at No. 3 would be a major boon to the Sixers. They desperately need both a point guard and a shooter, and Russell is the best in the draft on both counts. The Sixers also like Mudiay, though his elite lack of shooting ability appears to have him a tick below Russell right now. And don't count out Kristaps Porzingis here. Yes, they drafted Dario Saric last year and are high on him, but Porzingis is a terrific prospect and Sam Hinkie isn't afraid to take risks the way several GMs above and below him are. Especially if Russell ends up going ahead of the Sixers, I could see Porzingis landing here.

Video highlights Video
PLAYER CARD
4Emmanuel MudiayNew York KnicksCOLLEGE: ChinaHT: 6-5WT: 196POS: PG
It's still very tough to get a read on what the Knicks plan to do here. There are myriad Knicks scouts and execs who have their opinions. And then there's Phil Jackson. If by some chance Okafor and/or Russell are on the board here, the Knicks will take one of them. If they aren't, Mudiay is the obvious choice. They need help at point guard, and Mudiay's size and ability to break down defenses with penetration is a major need. But two other names to look out for are Justise Winslow and Willie Cauley-Stein. I'm told having a long, athletic big man who can defend multiple positions like Cauley-Stein is gaining traction in New York.

Video highlights Video
PLAYER CARD
5Kristaps PorzingisOrlando MagicCOLLEGE: LatviaHT: 6-11WT: 220POS: PF
While the Magic will obviously have several good options here -- Winslow, Cauley-Stein, Mario Hezonja -- I'm increasingly hearing that Porzingis is their guy. They've drafted a great young core nucleus of Elfrid Payton, Victor Oladipo and Aaron Gordon, but have yet to land a top-tier superstar. Porzingis has that potential. His size, shooting ability and athleticism will all be a great fit for the Magic.

PLAYER CARD
6Willie Cauley-SteinSacramento KingsCOLLEGE: KentuckyHT: 7-1WT: 242POS: C
After the first five picks are off the board, things will start to get interesting. Five of the next six teams in the draft -- the Kings, Pistons, Hornets, Heat and Pacers -- all have playoff aspirations next season and if the right offer comes along, these picks can definitely be had. Should the Kings keep this pick, their choices will likely be between Cauley-Stein, Winslow, Hezonja and, if he somehow slides, Mudiay. Cauley-Stein is the overwhelming favorite in Sacramento. The Kings desperately need rim protection and Cauley-Stein is the best defender in the draft. Winslow, Porzingis and Myles Turner are also possibilities if they are on the board at this point.

Video highlights Video
PLAYER CARD
7Justise WinslowDenver NuggetsCOLLEGE: DukeHT: 6-6WT: 222POS: SF
The Nuggets continue to showcase Ty Lawson and Kenneth Faried (along with just about everyone else on their roster), so drafting for need makes little sense. They are resetting the deck. The good news is that allows them to just take the best player who falls to them. Given the scenarios above that will either be Winslow, Hezonja or in certain scenarios, Mudiay. The overwhelming consensus right now is that this is where Winslow goes. He has the sort of high-energy, high-character game the Nuggets are seeking.

PLAYER CARD
8Mario HezonjaDetroit PistonsCOLLEGE: CroatiaHT: 6-7WT: 200POS: SF
The Pistons' pick is being shopped around, though Detroit might be better off just holding onto it. They have a major need at the small forward position and there will be several terrific prospects still on the board when they pick. Winslow, Stanley Johnson, Kelly Oubre and Devin Booker could all be good fits, but at this point in the draft, Hezonja is a steal. He has the size, athleticism, shooting ability and competitive demeanor to be an elite NBA wing. And his experience playing for one of the top teams in Europe, FC Barcelona, should make him an immediate contributor.

PLAYER CARD
9Devin BookerCharlotte HornetsCOLLEGE: KentuckyHT: 6-6WT: 206POS: SG
The Hornets are another team that, all things considered, would prefer a veteran who could step in from day one. They had no intention of being in the lottery this season and have no intention of returning to it next year. Their need is obvious: The Hornets finished dead last in the NBA in 3-point shooting percentage at 31.8 percent last season. Hezonja, Oubre, Johnson, Frank Kaminsky and Myles Turner can all shoot 3s and would be good fits. But assuming Hezonja is off the board, Booker might be the best option. Other than Hezonja, Booker is the best shooter of the group, and while he's the youngest player in the draft, he has a terrific basketball IQ and plays with maturity. The Hornets don't need a home run here. A solid double will do.

PLAYER CARD
10Stanley JohnsonMiami HeatCOLLEGE: ArizonaHT: 6-6WT: 242POS: SF
The Heat will be primarily focused this summer on figuring out how to re-sign Dwyane Wade, Goran Dragic and possibly Luol Deng. Pat Riley doesn't want anything to do with the lottery next season. If they can't find a suitable trade partner, then look for them to take the player most ready to come in and make an impact from day one. That was the thinking behind taking Shabazz Napier last season and it will follow this year. Kaminsky, Sam Dekker and Johnson all fit that mold. Johnson is the youngest of the three, but his NBA-ready body, toughness and confidence could make him a good fit in Miami.

Video highlights Video

PLAYER CARD
11Cameron PayneIndiana PacersCOLLEGE: Murray StateHT: 6-2WT: 183POS: PG
Larry Bird is promising to shake things up this summer and a big target will be in the middle. Assuming they can move Roy Hibbert in a trade, they'll have needs for a mobile big man. Both Myles Turner and Kaminsky could make some sense for them. But I am hearing lots of buzz out of Indiana that the team loves Payne and wants to pair Paul George with a quick, young, high basketball IQ point guard who can get to the basket. Payne has been rocketing up NBA team boards after declaring for the draft. A number of rival GMs believe the Thunder might already have promised to take him at No. 14. But I'm not sure he gets there anymore. Even teams as high as the Kings, Nuggets and Hornets are now showing interest.

PLAYER CARD
12Myles TurnerUtah JazzCOLLEGE: TexasHT: 6-11WT: 239POS: PF
The Jazz are wisely being patient and letting their bevy of young talent develop naturally. They have players they like at all five positions and that gives them flexibility to draft for talent instead of need. They will be tempted to take Lyles, Kaminsky and Oubre here. But if Turner somehow falls to them at No. 12, they'll have to seriously consider him. On pure talent, he's a top-five pick. He's a little more raw than a number of other players on the board, but the Jazz can afford to bring him along slowly. If he hits his ceiling, he'll have the unique ability to play both the 4 and the 5, stretch the floor and be an elite rim protector.

Video highlights Video

PLAYER CARD
13Frank KaminskyPhoenix SunsCOLLEGE: WisconsinHT: 7-1WT: 231POS: C
At No. 13, there are a handful of interesting prospects still left on the board. Oubre has the most upside, though the Suns might not have the patience to wait on him. Kaminsky seems like a better bet. He's NBA ready, he's an elite shooter (something the Suns could use after finishing in the bottom third in 3-point field-goal percentage) and he can play both the 4 and the 5 behind Markieff Morris and Alex Len.

Video highlights Video

PLAYER CARD
14Kelly OubreOklahoma City ThunderCOLLEGE: KansasHT: 6-7WT: 203POS: SF
The Thunder are very high on Payne -- to the point that several rival GMs believe they've promised Payne they'll take him at No. 14 if he's there. If Payne is gone, I'm not sure there's another point guard who makes sense for them. Jerian Grant and Delon Wright are both big guards with plenty of experience. Wright especially tests well analytically, and I hear the Thunder are fans. Tyus Jones is another option, though he's small for his position. They also could try to do a long-term upgrade at the wing. They have plenty of mediocre options already -- Dion Waiters, Anthony Morrow, Andre Roberson, Jeremy Lamb -- but none of them thrills them in the long run. Oubre has all the physical tools to be a star on both ends of the court. Patience and putting Oubre in the right culture will be the key. OKC could be great for his development in the long run.

Video highlights Video

PLAYER CARD
15Bobby PortisAtlanta HawksCOLLEGE: ArkansasHT: 6-11WT: 246POS: PF
The Hawks finished the season in the bottom third in defensive rebounding. Then in the playoffs, they got absolutely demolished in the paint by the Cavs. They have Al Horford and Pero Antic and not much else. Portis' rebounding and shot-blocking ability, combined with an elite motor and unselfish attitude, should give the Hawks some much needed size and energy off the bench. Wisconsin's Dekker is another option for them.

Video highlights Video

PLAYER CARD
16Trey Ly****ston CelticsCOLLEGE: KentuckyHT: 6-10WT: 242POS: PF
The Celtics seem to be intent on moving up in the draft. The question is whether their assets (a bunch of solid young players and some middling first-round picks) can get them there. If they stay at No. 16, they'll take the best player available. I think that's Lyles. Not only does he fit a need (Jared Sullinger is their only other 4 under contract next season) but I think he's the best talent still on the board. Lyles could go as high as Indiana at No. 11 or Utah at No. 12.

Video highlights Video

PLAYER CARD
17Sam DekkerMilwaukee BucksCOLLEGE: WisconsinHT: 6-9WT: 219POS: SF
The Bucks could really use a rim protector, but at No. 17, there just isn't a great one left on the board. Dekker would be a nice fit, however. Jason Kidd seems like the type of coach who could really unleash Dekker. When he plays free, without looking over his shoulder at the bench every time he misses a shot, Dekker can be dominant. He has great size for his position, is a terrific athlete and if he can get more regular on his jump shot, could be a valuable weapon coming off the bench behind Giannis Antetokounmpo.

Video highlights Video

PLAYER CARD
18Tyus JonesHouston RocketsCOLLEGE: DukeHT: 6-2WT: 185POS: PG
The Pelicans send their pick to the Rockets as part of the Omer Asik trade. The Rockets have major needs at point guard and there are several worth considering at No. 18. Both Grant and Wright are serious options here. They are experienced, tough and can step in and play right away. But the whispers that the Rockets are in love with Jones won't go away. He clearly has the pedigree, the basketball IQ and the mental toughness to succeed in the NBA. The only real question is whether he has the athleticism to compete.

PLAYER CARD
19Kevon LooneyWashington WizardsCOLLEGE: UCLAHT: 6-9WT: 222POS: PF
The Wizards are hoping one of the three young power forwards -- Portis, Lyles or Looney -- falls to them at No. 19. That's their major need going forward and all three players are young and still have upside. Of the three, Looney possesses the most. He's incredibly long, a terrific offensive rebounder and very skilled. He's also the furthest away of the three and questions about a hip he injured before his freshman season at UCLA and a form of sports asthma have caused his stock to slip from the mid-lottery to here. Landing Looney at No. 19 would be a huge win for the Wizards.

Video highlights Video

PLAYER CARD
20Rashad VaughnToronto RaptorsCOLLEGE: UNLVHT: 6-5WT: 199POS: SG
With Lou Williams hitting free agency this summer, the Raptors can use some scoring off the bench and few players in this draft get their shot as easily as Vaughn does. A recent workout in Santa Monica where he shot the lights out reiterated that he might be one of the more underrated players in the draft. Grant, Wright, Rondae Hollis-Jefferson, Christian Wood and Terry Rozier are other players who could fit for Toronto.

PLAYER CARD
21Jerian GrantDallas MavericksCOLLEGE: Notre DameHT: 6-4WT: 198POS: PG
The Mavs have a huge need at point guard this summer. Rajon Rondo is likely leaving, Raymond Felton has opted out and J.J. Barea is a free agent. While the Mavs, as a playoff contender, likely won't be happy with starting a rookie PG, they will need depth and after four years at Notre Dame, Grant is very capable of stepping in and contributing right away. He's one of the two or three best pick-and-roll guards in the draft and his ability to play multiple positions makes him doubly valuable.

Video highlights Video

PLAYER CARD
22Delon WrightChicago BullsCOLLEGE: UtahHT: 6-6WT: 181POS: PG
Analytically, Wright looks like a top-10 prospect using a number of different metrics. Chicago would be a perfect landing spot for him. Derrick Rose is healthy again, but both Kirk Hinrich and Aaron Brooks are free agents and the Bulls are in serious need of an upgrade behind Rose. Wright doesn't do any one thing great, but he does just about everything well and his age may be a plus here. He'll be more ready than some to come in and impact the game from training camp. Justin Anderson, R.J. Hunter and Terry Rozier are also possibilities for the Bulls.

Video highlights Video

PLAYER CARD
23R.J. HunterPortland Trail BlazersCOLLEGE: Georgia StHT: 6-6WT: 185POS: SG
The Blazers are looking at potential major defections over the summer. LaMarcus Aldridge, Wesley Matthews and Arron Afflalo (assuming he opts out) are all free agents this summer and all could end up elsewhere. The Blazers probably can't find an Aldridge replacement in the draft at 23. But there are several intriguing 2-guards who could fit here. Of that group, Hunter has the most upside. He's a terrific shooter, has a high basketball IQ and can be a playmaker as well as a shooter. Justin Anderson and Montrezl Harrell are other options for the Blazers.

Video highlights Video

PLAYER CARD
24Rondae Hollis-JeffersonCleveland CavaliersCOLLEGE: ArizonaHT: 6-7WT: 211POS: SF
Hollis-Jefferson is a jump shot away from being a lottery pick. His combination of size, athleticism and elite defensive abilities make him a very strong option for the Cavs. As LeBron James gets older, having someone who can come in off the bench and ramp up the defense and energy is a major plus. And if Hollis-Jefferson ever starts hitting jump shots? He could be a star. Justin Anderson, Montrezl Harrell, Terry Rozier and Christian Wood could all be nice picks here as well.

Video highlights Video

PLAYER CARD
25Justin AndersonMemphis GrizzliesCOLLEGE: VirginiaHT: 6-6WT: 231POS: SF
The Grizzlies are another team that could really use some shot blocking and might be the team willing to gamble on Washington's Robert Upshaw hoping that a stable, veteran locker room could help him become who he needs to be. But I also could see the Grizzlies going after Anderson, a tough, athletic wing who shot 45 percent from 3 as a junior. He's a high-character guy and as multiple playoff teams showed us this summer, you can never have enough shooting. Christian Wood is another possibility in Memphis.

PLAYER CARD
26Montrezl HarrellSan Antonio SpursCOLLEGE: LouisvilleHT: 6-8WT: 253POS: PF
Harrell is undersized, but he's long, explosive athletically and when he's focused, can play with great energy and motor. The question is keeping him focused. A veteran team like the Spurs with a terrific culture and work ethic could be just the thing for Harrell. The Spurs could certainly use the help in the frontcourt.

Video highlights Video

PLAYER CARD
27Joseph YoungLos Angeles LakersCOLLEGE: OregonHT: 6-2WT: 182POS: SG
The Lakers had great success with Jordan Clarkson last season, and I think they could have similar success taking a chance on Young here. I believe both guards could play together in the backcourt because of Clarkson's size at the 1. Young brings something to the table that the Lakers desperately need: shooting. And his ability to get his own shot anywhere on the floor also will be intriguing. Terry Rozier is another possibility here.
PLAYER CARD
28Christian WoodBoston CelticsCOLLEGE: UNLVHT: 6-11WT: 216POS: PF
The Celtics are in definite need of shot blocking and athleticism in their frontcourt. Wood is raw and can be a bit flaky, but his talent is off the charts and Danny Ainge is the sort of GM willing to take those risks. If Wood every gets his act together, he could be the steal of the draft. Chris McCullough and Robert Upshaw are other possibilities.

PLAYER CARD
29Jarell MartinBrooklyn NetsCOLLEGE: LSUHT: 6-9WT: 239POS: PF
Martin is a great athlete, but his lack of elite size, length or shooting ability have given him the dreaded "tweener" label. Still, the talent is there and the Nets could use his versatility to help them at both the 3 and 4.

PLAYER CARD
30Chris McCulloughGolden State WarriorsCOLLEGE: SyracuseHT: 6-9WT: 199POS: PF
This is a value pick by the Warriors. The Warriors have a great development program and a player like McCullough would be a perfect fit. McCullough, had he not torn his ACL or had he stayed in school, would likely have been a late lottery to mid-first-round pick. His athleticism, shot-blocking ability and versatility make him intriguing to the Warriors, who can afford to develop him slowly.

PLAYER CARD
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 11:35:53 AM by Eddie20 »

« Reply #110 on: June 02, 2015, 11:41:04 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
Ford Mock
June 2nd

Note:
He mentions that the C's are "intent to move up", which coincides with other reports.

Karl-Anthony Towns is the No. 1-ranked player on my Big Board. However, virtually all the signals from sources inside the Wolves point to Jahlil Okafor being Flip Saunders' favorite right now. That obviously can change as we get closer to the draft. Workouts and interviews and lobbying from staff (I hear most of the rest of the staff favors Towns) could push Towns back atop. And after watching Towns' workout Monday, I believe that the Wolves will figure this out in favor of Towns. Towns has tremendous upside, no glaring weaknesses and he's a better fit in Minnesota, in my opinion, than Okafor. He has the highest ceiling of any player in the draft and I think his impact will come sooner rather than later. And do not totally discount here either. I am told Saunders is also a big fan and might be willing to move Ricky Rubio for the right deal.
PLAYER CARD
The Lakers will be elated if Okafor goes No. 1 and Towns slides here. He would be a slam dunk at No. 2. He is a great fit next to Julius Randle in the front court and the best two-way player in the draft. If Towns ends up going No. 1, then things get more complicated. I think the Lakers are torn between Okafor, Russell and Emmanuel Mudiay. However, the Lakers run a more traditional front office than most and have a tradition of dominant big men ruling the paint. I think, at the end of the day, the size of Okafor will win out.
PLAYER CARD
As I've said on multiple occasions, landing Russell at No. 3 would be a major boon to the Sixers. They desperately need both a point guard and a shooter, and Russell is the best in the draft on both counts. The Sixers also like Mudiay, though his elite lack of shooting ability appears to have him a tick below Russell right now. And don't count out Kristaps Porzingis here. Yes, they drafted Dario Saric last year and are high on him, but Porzingis is a terrific prospect and Sam Hinkie isn't afraid to take risks the way several GMs above and below him are. Especially if Russell ends up going ahead of the Sixers, I could see Porzingis landing here.

Video highlights Video
PLAYER CARD
It's still very tough to get a read on what the Knicks plan to do here. There are myriad Knicks scouts and execs who have their opinions. And then there's Phil Jackson. If by some chance Okafor and/or Russell are on the board here, the Knicks will take one of them. If they aren't, Mudiay is the obvious choice. They need help at point guard, and Mudiay's size and ability to break down defenses with penetration is a major need. But two other names to look out for are Justise Winslow and Willie Cauley-Stein. I'm told having a long, athletic big man who can defend multiple positions like Cauley-Stein is gaining traction in New York.

Video highlights Video
PLAYER CARD
While the Magic will obviously have several good options here -- Winslow, Cauley-Stein, Mario Hezonja -- I'm increasingly hearing that Porzingis is their guy. They've drafted a great young core nucleus of Elfrid Payton, Victor Oladipo and Aaron Gordon, but have yet to land a top-tier superstar. Porzingis has that potential. His size, shooting ability and athleticism will all be a great fit for the Magic.

PLAYER CARD
After the first five picks are off the board, things will start to get interesting. Five of the next six teams in the draft -- the Kings, Pistons, Hornets, Heat and Pacers -- all have playoff aspirations next season and if the right offer comes along, these picks can definitely be had. Should the Kings keep this pick, their choices will likely be between Cauley-Stein, Winslow, Hezonja and, if he somehow slides, Mudiay. Cauley-Stein is the overwhelming favorite in Sacramento. The Kings desperately need rim protection and Cauley-Stein is the best defender in the draft. Winslow, Porzingis and Myles Turner are also possibilities if they are on the board at this point.

Video highlights Video
PLAYER CARD
The Nuggets continue to showcase Ty Lawson and Kenneth Faried (along with just about everyone else on their roster), so drafting for need makes little sense. They are resetting the deck. The good news is that allows them to just take the best player who falls to them. Given the scenarios above that will either be Winslow, Hezonja or in certain scenarios, Mudiay. The overwhelming consensus right now is that this is where Winslow goes. He has the sort of high-energy, high-character game the Nuggets are seeking.

PLAYER CARD
The Pistons' pick is being shopped around, though Detroit might be better off just holding onto it. They have a major need at the small forward position and there will be several terrific prospects still on the board when they pick. Winslow, Stanley Johnson, Kelly Oubre and Devin Booker could all be good fits, but at this point in the draft, Hezonja is a steal. He has the size, athleticism, shooting ability and competitive demeanor to be an elite NBA wing. And his experience playing for one of the top teams in Europe, FC Barcelona, should make him an immediate contributor.

PLAYER CARD
The Hornets are another team that, all things considered, would prefer a veteran who could step in from day one. They had no intention of being in the lottery this season and have no intention of returning to it next year. Their need is obvious: The Hornets finished dead last in the NBA in 3-point shooting percentage at 31.8 percent last season. Hezonja, Oubre, Johnson, Frank Kaminsky and Myles Turner can all shoot 3s and would be good fits. But assuming Hezonja is off the board, Booker might be the best option. Other than Hezonja, Booker is the best shooter of the group, and while he's the youngest player in the draft, he has a terrific basketball IQ and plays with maturity. The Hornets don't need a home run here. A solid double will do.

PLAYER CARD
The Heat will be primarily focused this summer on figuring out how to re-sign Dwyane Wade, Goran Dragic and possibly Luol Deng. Pat Riley doesn't want anything to do with the lottery next season. If they can't find a suitable trade partner, then look for them to take the player most ready to come in and make an impact from day one. That was the thinking behind taking Shabazz Napier last season and it will follow this year. Kaminsky, Sam Dekker and Johnson all fit that mold. Johnson is the youngest of the three, but his NBA-ready body, toughness and confidence could make him a good fit in Miami.

Video highlights Video

PLAYER CARD
Larry Bird is promising to shake things up this summer and a big target will be in the middle. Assuming they can move Roy Hibbert in a trade, they'll have needs for a mobile big man. Both Myles Turner and Kaminsky could make some sense for them. But I am hearing lots of buzz out of Indiana that the team loves Payne and wants to pair Paul George with a quick, young, high basketball IQ point guard who can get to the basket. Payne has been rocketing up NBA team boards after declaring for the draft. A number of rival GMs believe the Thunder might already have promised to take him at No. 14. But I'm not sure he gets there anymore. Even teams as high as the Kings, Nuggets and Hornets are now showing interest.

PLAYER CARD
The Jazz are wisely being patient and letting their bevy of young talent develop naturally. They have players they like at all five positions and that gives them flexibility to draft for talent instead of need. They will be tempted to take Lyles, Kaminsky and Oubre here. But if Turner somehow falls to them at No. 12, they'll have to seriously consider him. On pure talent, he's a top-five pick. He's a little more raw than a number of other players on the board, but the Jazz can afford to bring him along slowly. If he hits his ceiling, he'll have the unique ability to play both the 4 and the 5, stretch the floor and be an elite rim protector.

Video highlights Video

PLAYER CARD
At No. 13, there are a handful of interesting prospects still left on the board. Oubre has the most upside, though the Suns might not have the patience to wait on him. Kaminsky seems like a better bet. He's NBA ready, he's an elite shooter (something the Suns could use after finishing in the bottom third in 3-point field-goal percentage) and he can play both the 4 and the 5 behind Markieff Morris and Alex Len.

Video highlights Video

PLAYER CARD
The Thunder are very high on Payne -- to the point that several rival GMs believe they've promised Payne they'll take him at No. 14 if he's there. If Payne is gone, I'm not sure there's another point guard who makes sense for them. Jerian Grant and Delon Wright are both big guards with plenty of experience. Wright especially tests well analytically, and I hear the Thunder are fans. Tyus Jones is another option, though he's small for his position. They also could try to do a long-term upgrade at the wing. They have plenty of mediocre options already -- Dion Waiters, Anthony Morrow, Andre Roberson, Jeremy Lamb -- but none of them thrills them in the long run. Oubre has all the physical tools to be a star on both ends of the court. Patience and putting Oubre in the right culture will be the key. OKC could be great for his development in the long run.

Video highlights Video

PLAYER CARD
The Hawks finished the season in the bottom third in defensive rebounding. Then in the playoffs, they got absolutely demolished in the paint by the Cavs. They have Al Horford and Pero Antic and not much else. Portis' rebounding and shot-blocking ability, combined with an elite motor and unselfish attitude, should give the Hawks some much needed size and energy off the bench. Wisconsin's Dekker is another option for them.

Video highlights Video

PLAYER CARD
The Celtics seem to be intent on moving up in the draft. The question is whether their assets (a bunch of solid young players and some middling first-round picks) can get them there. If they stay at No. 16, they'll take the best player available. I think that's Lyles. Not only does he fit a need (Jared Sullinger is their only other 4 under contract next season) but I think he's the best talent still on the board. Lyles could go as high as Indiana at No. 11 or Utah at No. 12.

Video highlights Video

PLAYER CARD
The Bucks could really use a rim protector, but at No. 17, there just isn't a great one left on the board. Dekker would be a nice fit, however. Jason Kidd seems like the type of coach who could really unleash Dekker. When he plays free, without looking over his shoulder at the bench every time he misses a shot, Dekker can be dominant. He has great size for his position, is a terrific athlete and if he can get more regular on his jump shot, could be a valuable weapon coming off the bench behind Giannis Antetokounmpo.

Video highlights Video

PLAYER CARD
The Pelicans send their pick to the Rockets as part of the Omer Asik trade. The Rockets have major needs at point guard and there are several worth considering at No. 18. Both Grant and Wright are serious options here. They are experienced, tough and can step in and play right away. But the whispers that the Rockets are in love with Jones won't go away. He clearly has the pedigree, the basketball IQ and the mental toughness to succeed in the NBA. The only real question is whether he has the athleticism to compete.

PLAYER CARD
The Wizards are hoping one of the three young power forwards -- Portis, Lyles or Looney -- falls to them at No. 19. That's their major need going forward and all three players are young and still have upside. Of the three, Looney possesses the most. He's incredibly long, a terrific offensive rebounder and very skilled. He's also the furthest away of the three and questions about a hip he injured before his freshman season at UCLA and a form of sports asthma have caused his stock to slip from the mid-lottery to here. Landing Looney at No. 19 would be a huge win for the Wizards.

Video highlights Video

PLAYER CARD
With Lou Williams hitting free agency this summer, the Raptors can use some scoring off the bench and few players in this draft get their shot as easily as Vaughn does. A recent workout in Santa Monica where he shot the lights out reiterated that he might be one of the more underrated players in the draft. Grant, Wright, Rondae Hollis-Jefferson, Christian Wood and Terry Rozier are other players who could fit for Toronto.

PLAYER CARD
The Mavs have a huge need at point guard this summer. Rajon Rondo is likely leaving, Raymond Felton has opted out and J.J. Barea is a free agent. While the Mavs, as a playoff contender, likely won't be happy with starting a rookie PG, they will need depth and after four years at Notre Dame, Grant is very capable of stepping in and contributing right away. He's one of the two or three best pick-and-roll guards in the draft and his ability to play multiple positions makes him doubly valuable.

Video highlights Video

PLAYER CARD
Analytically, Wright looks like a top-10 prospect using a number of different metrics. Chicago would be a perfect landing spot for him. Derrick Rose is healthy again, but both Kirk Hinrich and Aaron Brooks are free agents and the Bulls are in serious need of an upgrade behind Rose. Wright doesn't do any one thing great, but he does just about everything well and his age may be a plus here. He'll be more ready than some to come in and impact the game from training camp. Justin Anderson, R.J. Hunter and Terry Rozier are also possibilities for the Bulls.

Video highlights Video

PLAYER CARD
The Blazers are looking at potential major defections over the summer. LaMarcus Aldridge, Wesley Matthews and Arron Afflalo (assuming he opts out) are all free agents this summer and all could end up elsewhere. The Blazers probably can't find an Aldridge replacement in the draft at 23. But there are several intriguing 2-guards who could fit here. Of that group, Hunter has the most upside. He's a terrific shooter, has a high basketball IQ and can be a playmaker as well as a shooter. Justin Anderson and Montrezl Harrell are other options for the Blazers.

Video highlights Video

PLAYER CARD
24Rondae Hollis-JeffersonCleveland CavaliersCOLLEGE: ArizonaHT: 6-7WT: 211POS: SF
Hollis-Jefferson is a jump shot away from being a lottery pick. His combination of size, athleticism and elite defensive abilities make him a very strong option for the Cavs. As LeBron James gets older, having someone who can come in off the bench and ramp up the defense and energy is a major plus. And if Hollis-Jefferson ever starts hitting jump shots? He could be a star. Justin Anderson, Montrezl Harrell, Terry Rozier and Christian Wood could all be nice picks here as well.

Video highlights Video

PLAYER CARD
The Grizzlies are another team that could really use some shot blocking and might be the team willing to gamble on Washington's Robert Upshaw hoping that a stable, veteran locker room could help him become who he needs to be. But I also could see the Grizzlies going after Anderson, a tough, athletic wing who shot 45 percent from 3 as a junior. He's a high-character guy and as multiple playoff teams showed us this summer, you can never have enough shooting. Christian Wood is another possibility in Memphis.

PLAYER CARD
Harrell is undersized, but he's long, explosive athletically and when he's focused, can play with great energy and motor. The question is keeping him focused. A veteran team like the Spurs with a terrific culture and work ethic could be just the thing for Harrell. The Spurs could certainly use the help in the frontcourt.

Video highlights Video

PLAYER CARD
The Lakers had great success with Jordan Clarkson last season, and I think they could have similar success taking a chance on Young here. I believe both guards could play together in the backcourt because of Clarkson's size at the 1. Young brings something to the table that the Lakers desperately need: shooting. And his ability to get his own shot anywhere on the floor also will be intriguing. Terry Rozier is another possibility here.
PLAYER CARD
The Celtics are in definite need of shot blocking and athleticism in their frontcourt. Wood is raw and can be a bit flaky, but his talent is off the charts and Danny Ainge is the sort of GM willing to take those risks. If Wood every gets his act together, he could be the steal of the draft. Chris McCullough and Robert Upshaw are other possibilities.

PLAYER CARD
Martin is a great athlete, but his lack of elite size, length or shooting ability have given him the dreaded "tweener" label. Still, the talent is there and the Nets could use his versatility to help them at both the 3 and 4.

PLAYER CARD
This is a value pick by the Warriors. The Warriors have a great development program and a player like McCullough would be a perfect fit. McCullough, had he not torn his ACL or had he stayed in school, would likely have been a late lottery to mid-first-round pick. His athleticism, shot-blocking ability and versatility make him intriguing to the Warriors, who can afford to develop him slowly.

PLAYER CARD

If we really do end up with Lyles and PJackson is truly infatuated with him, I wonder if Danny would try and just make some sort of swap between Lyles, one of our other guys, and picks for Mudiay (if they get him). A 1, 2, 3 of Mudiay, Smart, and Young could be sweet!

« Reply #111 on: June 02, 2015, 11:46:05 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
As expected, Detroit, Charlotte, and Miami look like the best opportunities to move up.

Bradley, Sullinger, and Turner, in some combination with one of the Celts 1st round picks, could be enough to move up into the top 10, where the Celts might be able to nab a legitimate two-way prospect.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #112 on: June 02, 2015, 11:46:19 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
If the draft falls like this I think we should trade up for Turner. It's not that far to move up, and he is the high upside prospect that we should be targeting.

At 16 (if we stay there) I'd prefer Looney to Lyles.

If we can get Wood at 28 I would ecstatic.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #113 on: June 02, 2015, 12:50:44 PM »

Offline notthebowler

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 27
Ford Mock
June 2nd

Note:

PLAYER CARD
16Trey Ly****ston Celtics

I just have to say this may be the funniest autocorrect in the history of the Internet.  That is all.

« Reply #114 on: June 02, 2015, 12:57:34 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
Ford Mock
June 2nd

Note:

PLAYER CARD

I just have to say this may be the funniest autocorrect in the history of the Internet.  That is all.

That is hilarious lol nice catch, TP!

« Reply #115 on: June 02, 2015, 12:58:55 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
If the Draft really played out the way Ford is predicting I could see the Cs trying to trade up to #10 to get S Johnson or taking Dekker at #16. I think both have the potential to be long-term solutions at the starting SF position. Nothing against the Lyles pick. Also Dekker was suppose to workout for the Cs but canceled. 
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #116 on: June 02, 2015, 01:54:41 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Ford Mock
June 2nd

Note:

PLAYER CARD

That is hilarious lol nice catch, TP!
I just figured out what was starred out.  funny

« Reply #117 on: June 02, 2015, 02:08:20 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Ford Mock
June 2nd

Note:

PLAYER CARD
PLAYER CARD

Video highlights Video
PLAYER CARD

Video highlights Video
PLAYER CARD

PLAYER CARD

Video highlights Video
PLAYER CARD

PLAYER CARD

PLAYER CARD

PLAYER CARD

Video highlights Video

PLAYER CARD

PLAYER CARD

Video highlights Video

PLAYER CARD

Video highlights Video

PLAYER CARD

Video highlights Video

PLAYER CARD

Video highlights Video

PLAYER CARD

Video highlights Video

PLAYER CARD

Video highlights Video

PLAYER CARD

PLAYER CARD

Video highlights Video

PLAYER CARD

PLAYER CARD

Video highlights Video

PLAYER CARD

Video highlights Video

PLAYER CARD

Video highlights Video

PLAYER CARD

Video highlights Video

PLAYER CARD

PLAYER CARD

Video highlights Video

PLAYER CARD
PLAYER CARD

PLAYER CARD

PLAYER CARD

PLAYER CARD

Individually, Lyles or Wood would be ok pickups at those spots and I know I've always advocated for BPA at all times but I'd be pretty disappointed if Danny took 2 PFs in the first round.  Ford seems to miss the fact that KO plays PF at times.

Would have to believe that if Danny takes Lyles, either he or Sully are going somewhere in a trade.  to fill another position.  if that happens, I could see picking Wood at 28 instead of Upshaw but at that point, I really think Upshaw is the pick unless his red flags are too serious a risk.

« Reply #118 on: June 10, 2015, 09:31:21 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Ford's June 10th Big Board

The NBA draft team workouts are finally in motion. All 30 teams in the league are now hosting workouts of prospects almost daily. Although these workouts might seem superficial on the surface, they often serve as important tiebreakers between players whom teams like.

Nail the interview or the on-court portion of the workout, and you can still see your stock rise. Screw it up, and there's still room to fall. That said, there hasn't been a lot of major movement in our top 30. There's been some tweaking here and there based on feedback from teams. In other words, the board is stabilizing.

Here's our latest player rankings, based on feedback from NBA teams.

1Karl-Anthony TownsCOLLEGE: KentuckyHT: 6-11WT: 250POS: C
2014-15 STATSPPG 10.3RPG 6.7BPG 2.3
Towns has been No. 1 on the Big Board since March, and barring any last-minute injury or revelation, he'll be No. 1 on our Final Big Board as well. No prospect in the draft has a stronger combination of size and skill for his position. Towns has the potential to be a dominant 4 and 5 in the NBA on both sides of the floor. His engaging personality and excellent work ethic give him a clear path to stardom. According to the analytics, Towns ranks anywhere from No. 1 to 5 in most models used by NBA teams. Towns has yet to work out for anyone, and there remains a strong chance that he'll forgo workouts altogether. He is, however, planning on visiting both the Minnesota Timberwolves and Los Angeles Lakers for interviews. In virtually every scenario, he goes either No. 1 to the Wolves or No. 2 to the Lakers.

PREVIOUS RANK: No. 1 | PLAYER CARD
2D'Angelo RussellCOLLEGE: Ohio StateHT: 6-5WT: 193POS: PG
2014-15 STATSPPG 19.3RPG 5.7APG 5
Russell is in a two-way scrum with Okafor for No. 2 on most NBA boards. In speaking with numerous GMs and scouts, it appears Russell has gained a slight edge over Okafor, but it's very, very close. Usually size rises as we get closer to the draft, but with the elite play of Stephen Curry and James Harden this season, and a renewed focus on the 3-point shot in NBA offenses, Russell's shooting and playmaking ability actually might be more coveted than Okafor's old-school low-post game. Analytically, Russell ranks No. 1 or No. 2 on most models used by NBA teams. Russell's draft window looks pretty small. He should go either No. 2 to the Lakers or No. 3 to the Philadelphia 76ers. In the unusual circumstance that he falls, I don't see him getting past the New York Knicks at No. 4.

PREVIOUS RANK: No. 3 | PLAYER CARD
3Jahlil OkaforCOLLEGE: DukeHT: 6-11WT: 275POS: C
2014-15 STATSPPG 17.3RPG 8.5BPG 1.4
Okafor still is a highly coveted prospect but has lost ground in recent weeks to both Towns and Russell. His style of play is the major culprit. Teams are looking for versatility, playmaking, shooting and rim protection. While Okafor has the most polished low-post game in the draft with excellent size and length for his position, he doesn't check any of the "en vogue" boxes at the moment. He's still heavily in the mix at No. 1 to the Wolves, No. 2 to the Lakers and No. 4 to the Knicks.

PREVIOUS RANK: No. 2 | PLAYER CARD
4Emmanuel MudiayCOLLEGE: ChinaHT: 6-5WT: 196POS: PG
Mudiay still is one of the harder players to get a read on right now. As I wrote on Tuesday, the fact that he's been hard for NBA teams to evaluate has hurt his stock a bit. But it doesn't mean he hasn't been improving. I was absolutely wowed with his workout, and I suspect the Lakers (who he worked out for on Saturday), Knicks (worked out for them on Tuesday), Sixers and Timberwolves will all be impressed as well. It wouldn't surprise me if he ends up No. 2 by the end of the process. Not only is he a great athlete with great size for his position, he has rare maturity for a 19-year-old. Mudiay has a great chance to be an All-Star, and in a head-to-head workout, I think he'd give Russell all he could handle -- maybe more. Mudiay is in the mix with the Lakers at No. 2, the Sixers at No. 3 and the Knicks at No. 4. I think his floor is the Magic at No. 6.

PREVIOUS RANK: No. 4 | PLAYER CARD
5Kristaps PorzingisCOLLEGE: LatviaHT: 6-11WT: 220POS: PF
11.6 PPG | 4.8 RPG | 46 percent from 3 in 21 MPG

Porzingis just arrived in the United States last weekend and is planning a major workout in Las Vegas for NBA teams on Friday. It will be the only workout Porzingis will do before the draft. He will fly to a few teams and do interviews, but this one workout will likely solidify his stock in one direction or the other. I'll be there in Vegas to report on the whole thing, but until then, it's still a little tough to get a great read on his draft stock. He's in the mix as high as No. 3 to the Sixers. The Magic like him a lot at No. 5 as well. I doubt he would slide past the Kings or the Nuggets at No. 6 or 7.

PREVIOUS RANK: No. 5 | PLAYER CARD
6Justise WinslowCOLLEGE: DukeHT: 6-6WT: 222POS: SF
2014-15 STATSPPG 12.6RPG 6.5APG 2.1
The Winslow vs. Mario Hezonja debate continues to rage in NBA front offices around the league. Hezonja is the bigger and better offensive player. Winslow is stronger, a better defender and a better-known quantity. Both have a chance to be terrific. Winslow gets the slight nod over Hezonja on our Big Board when surveying teams around the league, but it's very, very close. One thing that might get Winslow the nod is his place in certain analytics models. According to Real Plus/Minus, Winslow ranks No. 2 in the draft behind Towns. The Knicks are giving Winslow a very serious look at No. 4. The Magic at No. 5, the Kings at No. 6 and the Nuggets at No. 7 are also all seriously considering him.

PREVIOUS RANK: No. 6 | PLAYER CARD
7Mario HezonjaCOLLEGE: CroatiaHT: 6-7WT: 200POS: SF
7.7 PPG | 2 RPG | 38 percent from 3 in 16 MPG

Hezonja is right there alongside Winslow as the top wingman on the board. The biggest thing hurting Hezonja is that because of team commitments, he's unable to interview and work out for NBA teams. While scouts have done their due diligence and scouted him heavily in Spain, his playing time and role with the team have been very inconsistent, especially lately. He might very well have overtaken Winslow had he been able to attend workouts. Nevertheless, Hezonja's range is pretty similar to Winslow's. He could go as high as No. 5 to the Magic. I don't think he slides past the Hornets at No. 9. The Nuggets and Pistons are also seriously in play for him.

PREVIOUS RANK: No. 7 | PLAYER CARD
8Willie Cauley-SteinCOLLEGE: KentuckyHT: 7-1WT: 242POS: C
2014-15 STATSPPG 8.9RPG 6.4BPG 1.7
Cauley-Stein is the last guy on this Big Board who has a good shot of going in the top five. He's widely regarded as the best defender in the draft, and from everything I saw in two workouts in L.A. last week, he's living up to the hype as a player who can guard five positions on the floor. Players with his size, athletic ability and defensive instincts don't come along every day. He, too, is heavily in the mix for the Knicks at No. 4, the Magic at No. 5 and Kings at No. 6. If he doesn't go there, however, he could be in for a bit of a slide. But there's no way he'll get past the Pacers at No. 11.

PREVIOUS RANK: No. 8 | PLAYER CARD
9Myles TurnerCOLLEGE: TexasHT: 6-11WT: 239POS: PF
2014-15 STATSPPG 10.1RPG 6.5BPG 2.6
Turner is another player hoping to have a coming-out party in Las Vegas on Friday. He'll join Porzingis in that big workout in front of a number of top NBA GMs and scouts. Turner has been working on his athleticism and his running technique, and the word from trainer Joe Abunassar is that he's improved significantly. Given Turner's size, skill set and potential, he could be a real draft sleeper. On pure upside, he's a top-five talent. I'm not sure there's a team in the top five that will take him, but the Kings at No. 6, the Nuggets at No. 7, the Pistons at No. 8, the Heat at No. 10 and the Pacers at No. 11 are all taking a close look at Turner. The Jazz at No. 12 or the Suns at No. 13 probably are his floor.

PREVIOUS RANK: No. 9 | PLAYER CARD
10Cameron PayneCOLLEGE: Murray StateHT: 6-2WT: 183POS: PG
2014-15 STATSPPG 20.2RPG 3.7APG 6
In the past two months, Payne's rise on draft boards has been incredible. Payne didn't crack our Big Board until April, when he debuted at No. 20. He moved up to No. 15 on Big Board 9.0 and then up to No. 11 on Big Board 10.0. Now he's cracked the top 10 and is getting interest from the Lakers, Knicks and Kings -- all teams drafting in the top six. What gives? His combination of quickness, length and scoring and passing ability is clearly intriguing teams. I like him, but I wonder whether teams are getting a little too caught up in the hype. I'm projecting him to go to the Pacers at No. 11. The Kings at No. 6, the Hornets at No. 9 and the Thunder at No. 14 are other real possibilities.

PREVIOUS RANK: No. 11 | PLAYER CARD
11Stanley JohnsonCOLLEGE: ArizonaHT: 6-6WT: 242POS: SF
2014-15 STATSPPG 13.8RPG 6.5APG 1.7
Johnson came to Arizona with a ton of hype from NBA people who loved his size, strength and leadership. His season at Arizona was solid, but it raised questions about his athleticism and motor, especially defensively. That's led to a lot of different opinions on Johnson. Some teams still have him ranked in the No. 5 to 10 range. Others rank him in the 15 to 20 range. The Pistons, Hornets, Heat, Pacers, Jazz and Suns seem like the best bets to take him.

PREVIOUS RANK: No. 10 | PLAYER CARD
12Kelly OubreCOLLEGE: KansasHT: 6-7WT: 203POS: SF
2014-15 STATSPPG 9.3RPG 5APG .8
Oubre is another controversial prospect. On sheer physical tools and upside, he belongs five or six spots higher on the board. He's one of the biggest wings in the draft, is a very good athlete, and has the potential to be a coveted "3-and-D"-type player. The question marks all center on his maturity and work ethic after he got off to a very rocky start at Kansas. His trainer, Drew Hanlen, swears he's one of the hardest-working players he's ever trained and that his improvement has been dramatic the past few months. If teams see that in workouts, he'll go much higher than projected here. He has the same sort of window that Johnson does -- Pistons, Hornets, Heat, Pacers, Jazz and Suns. I could also see the Thunder rolling the dice on him at No. 14.

PREVIOUS RANK: No. 18 | PLAYER CARD
13Trey LylesCOLLEGE: KentuckyHT: 6-10WT: 242POS: PF
2014-15 STATSPPG 8.7RPG 5.2BPG .4
Lyles continues one of the quietest campaigns in recent memory to be a lottery pick. There's zero buzz about him, but when you press NBA teams, virtually all of them have him ranked somewhere in the lottery on their boards. Figuring out where he finally lands is the question. The Pistons seem like his ceiling right now. I'm told they're the highest team interested. The Pacers and Jazz are two other teams that are fans. I think the Celtics at No. 16 and the Bucks at No. 17 are his floor.

PREVIOUS RANK: No. 12 | PLAYER CARD
14Devin BookerCOLLEGE: KentuckyHT: 6-6WT: 206POS: SG
2014-15 STATSPPG 10RPG 2APG 1.1
Booker couldn't be entering the league at a better time. The NBA is hungry for elite 3-point shooters and Booker stands as one of the two or three best shooting prospects in the draft. He's got a quick release, deep range and plays with a high basketball IQ. He also tested surprisingly well in some of the athletic testing at the draft combine. He also has the same draft window as Johnson and Oubre -- essentially, the teams picking No. 8 to 14 could all use a shooter. The Hornets at No. 9 seem especially interested.

PREVIOUS RANK: No. 13 | PLAYER CARD
15Frank KaminskyCOLLEGE: WisconsinHT: 7-1WT: 231POS: C
2014-15 STATSPPG 18.8RPG 8.2BPG 1.5
Kaminsky was the national player of the year, but it's hard for skinny seniors to get lots of lottery love. Teams love his shooting ability and high basketball IQ, but there's a pretty fierce debate about which position he'll play in the NBA someday. The Heat appear to be his ceiling at No. 10. The Pacers, Jazz, Suns, Hawks and Bucks are the other teams that could draft him in the first round.

PREVIOUS RANK: No. 14 | PLAYER CARD
16Bobby PortisCOLLEGE: ArkansasHT: 6-11WT: 246POS: PF
2014-15 STATSPPG 17.5RPG 8.9BPG 1.4
Portis has received strong reviews wherever he's worked out. He has great size, a terrific motor, a good rebounder and shooter. He remains one of the safest picks in the draft. Portis' draft range starts at the Pacers and includes the Jazz, Hawks, Celtics and Bucks. I believe his floor is the Wizards at No. 19.

PREVIOUS RANK: No. 16 | PLAYER CARD
17Sam DekkerCOLLEGE: WisconsinHT: 6-9WT: 219POS: SF
2014-15 STATSPPG 13.9RPG 5.5APG 1.2
Dekker is garnering some very positive reviews from teams in workouts. The key for him will be shooting, and several teams are telling me he's shot the ball well and has been aggressive. His range goes from the Pistons at No. 8, and include the Heat (who are big fans), Pacers, Jazz, Suns, Hawks and Bucks.

PREVIOUS RANK: No. 15 | PLAYER CARD
18Rashad VaughnCOLLEGE: UNLVHT: 6-5WT: 199POS: SG
2014-15 STATSPPG 17.8RPG 4.8APG 1.6
Vaughn's terrific workout in Santa Monica a few weeks ago in front of a bunch of NBA scouts and executives was an eye-opener. He shot the ball as well as any prospect I've seen so far and showed some explosion getting to the basket. He's carried that strong play over into workouts with the Lakers, Heat, Warriors, Pacers and Bulls and has put himself in the mix for the late lottery, starting as high as Indiana at No. 11. The Thunder, Suns, Hawks, Bucks, Raptors, Mavs and Bulls are also giving him looks.

PREVIOUS RANK: No. 23 | PLAYER CARD
19Jerian GrantCOLLEGE: Notre DameHT: 6-4WT: 198POS: PG
2014-15 STATSPPG 16.5RPG 3APG 6.7
Grant's workouts have been strong, but he's still battling perceptions that his age limits his upside. Teams drafting to hit a home run will likely pass. But teams that love his experience, playmaking ability and toughness are fans. His range starts at the Thunder at No. 14. Other teams interested include the Rockets, Raptors, Mavs and Bulls.

PREVIOUS RANK: No. 17 | PLAYER CARD
20Kevon LooneyCOLLEGE: UCLAHT: 6-9WT: 222POS: PF
2014-15 STATSPPG 11.6RPG 9.2BPG .9
Looney didn't really help himself at a pro day he participated in L.A. a few weeks back. He went through a hard workout and struggled to make shots. But in the ensuing few weeks, he's helped himself in subsequent workouts. He still has some of the best upside of any player in the draft and teams seem more comfortable that his sports asthma condition can be controlled with proper conditioning and medication. His range starts with the Pistons at No. 8. The Jazz, Suns, Celtics and Wizards are other strong contenders.

PREVIOUS RANK: No. 19 | PLAYER CARD
21R.J. HunterCOLLEGE: Georgia StHT: 6-6WT: 185POS: SG
2014-15 STATSPPG 19.7RPG 4.7APG 3.6
Hunter is right there with Booker as one of the top shooters in the draft -- even if he did miss a lot of shots this season. Workouts have gone well, with several teams claiming he's the best shooter they've seen in this year's draft. That could get him looks as high as the Thunder at No. 14, the Hawks at No. 15, the Bucks at No. 17, the Mavs at No. 21 and the Bulls at No. 22.

PREVIOUS RANK: No. 21 | PLAYER CARD
22Tyus JonesCOLLEGE: DukeHT: 6-2WT: 185POS: PG
2014-15 STATSPPG 11.8RPG 3.5APG 5.6
Jones hurt his back in a session in Houston and won't be working out for a while. Knowing the shenanigans Rockets general manager Daryl Morey has pulled in the past, I wouldn't be shocked if the "injury" might be a promise by the Rockets to select him at No. 18 if he shuts down his workouts. The Rockets have been on him for a while. He does have suitors higher than the Rockets. The Nuggets and Thunder have both shown interest. But the odds are pretty high that he doesn't get past Houston at No. 18.

PREVIOUS RANK: No. 20 | PLAYER CARD
23Rondae Hollis-JeffersonCOLLEGE: ArizonaHT: 6-7WT: 211POS: SF
2014-15 STATSPPG 11.2RPG 6.8APG 1.6
"If Hollis-Jefferson could shoot, he'd be a top-10 pick" is the refrain from every GM in the league. He might be the best wing defender in the draft. He has elite athletic abilities, high character and a high motor. But with the league emphasizing 3-point shooting more than ever, his stock is in flux. I think the Celtics at No. 16 are probably his ceiling. The Raptors are another strong possibility at No. 20. Ditto for the Blazers at No. 23.

PREVIOUS RANK: No. 22 | PLAYER CARD
24Delon WrightCOLLEGE: UtahHT: 6-6WT: 181POS: PG
2014-15 STATSPPG 14.5RPG 4.9APG 5.1
Wright is another wild card. For all the talk about him being a senior and lacking upside, there are several teams that want to be playoff contenders and seem to like him a lot. He's one of the most NBA-ready players in this draft, and the Thunder, Rockets, Raptors, Mavs, Bulls and Cavs will all give him looks.

PREVIOUS RANK: No. 26 | PLAYER CARD
25Justin AndersonCOLLEGE: VirginiaHT: 6-6WT: 231POS: SF
2014-15 STATSPPG 12.2RPG 4APG 1.7
Anderson has been impressive both in workouts and interviews and after a lot of hand wringing, more teams seem to be convinced that his hot shooting this season at Virginia wasn't a fluke. His ceiling is probably Milwaukee at No. 17. The Bulls at No. 22, the Blazers at No. 23 and the Cavs at No. 24 are three other strong contenders to draft him.

PREVIOUS RANK: No. 28 | PLAYER CARD
26Montrezl HarrellCOLLEGE: LouisvilleHT: 6-8WT: 253POS: PF
2014-15 STATSPPG 15.7RPG 9.2BPG 1.2
After having some of the steadiest draft stock of any player on our Big Board for the last two seasons, Harrell has struggled to get traction the past few months as teams have focused on his lack of elite size and inconsistency at Louisville. "If you're going to be a little guy playing the 4," one GM said, "you better play your ass off every possession." Harrell did at times, but now in workouts he's learning that has to come every day. The Wizards at No. 19 are probably his high spot. The Blazers, Spurs and Nets at No. 29 are other landing spots.

PREVIOUS RANK: No. 24 | PLAYER CARD
27Terry RozierCOLLEGE: LouisvilleHT: 6-2WT: 190POS: PG
2014-15 STATSPPG 17.1RPG 5.6APG 3
Rozier had a strong showing at the draft combine and continues to draw praise from teams in the draft. They see him more as a defensive stopper and energy guy coming off the bench right now, but Rozier thrived in his first season at Louisville. His ceiling is the Rockets at No. 18 -- he has several fans there. The Bulls, Cavs and Nets are other options.

PREVIOUS RANK: No. 27 | PLAYER CARD
28Chris McCulloughCOLLEGE: SyracuseHT: 6-9WT: 199POS: PF
2014-15 STATSPPG 9.3RPG 6.9BPG 2.1
McCullough is widely regarded as a value pick in the late first round. Had he stayed in school, he could've been a lottery pick next year. He's athletic and versatile. He's just raw. The Blazers at No. 23, the Spurs at No. 26 and the Nets at No. 29 are good options. In fact, I'm told there's almost no way he falls past Brooklyn at No. 29.

PREVIOUS RANK: No. 29 | PLAYER CARD
29Jarell MartinCOLLEGE: LSUHT: 6-9WT: 239POS: PF
2014-15 STATSPPG 16.9RPG 9.2BPG .7
Martin's athleticism and improved shooting seem to be bringing him back into favor with scouts. He'll also work out in front of NBA teams in Las Vegas on Friday, and a strong showing there could help his stock. He was widely regarded as a potential lottery pick coming out of high school. The Blazers, Spurs and Celtics are his best bets in the first round.

PREVIOUS RANK: No. NR | PLAYER CARD
30Christian WoodCOLLEGE: UNLVHT: 6-11WT: 216POS: PF
2014-15 STATSPPG 15.7RPG 10BPG 2.7
Wood has the talent of a lottery pick. He has great size, athleticism and skill. But as I wrote on Monday, teams seem to be very turned off right now. The feedback from his interviews at the draft combine and in workouts has been disappointing. Teams seem concerned about both his focus and his motor. He looks to be in real danger of sliding into the second round despite his unique skills for a big guy.

PREVIOUS RANK: No. 25 | PLAYER CARD
Next five in: Joseph Young, G, Sr., Oregon; Dakari Johnson, C, So., Kentucky; Cliff Alexander, PF, Fr., Kansas; Cedi Osman, G/F, Turkey; Alpha Kaba, PF, France

« Reply #119 on: June 10, 2015, 10:04:58 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
thanks for the update E20 - TP