Author Topic: ESPN Mock Drafts  (Read 29673 times)

Re: ESPN Mock Drafts
« Reply #90 on: May 25, 2015, 03:08:55 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
More and more it feels to me like Portis will be the pick at 16 if the Celts stay there, although with Danny Ainge you can never rule out him selecting a score-first guard if Payne is available at that spot.
Not much choice but it may turn out well. Take Portis for themselves if he is there or take Payne/Grant for trade back with Rockets. Despite Portis' lack luster combine #s he is similar to Aldridge.
Aldridge vs Portis
Height:6'11 vs 6'10
Wingspan: 7'5 vs 7'2
Standing reach: 9'2 vs 9'1
Weight: 232 vs 246
B.Fat: 8.7 vs 8.9
No step vert: 27" vs 25"
Max Vert: 34" vs 32"
Max vert reach:12' vs 11'8
Agility: 12sec vs 11.7sec
Sprint: 3.47 vs 3.56

Both played 2 years of college ball
College final year pts/fg%/ft%/reb/blk/ast/TO/
Aldridge 34mpg, 15pts, 56fg%, 65% FT, 10rebs, 2 blk
Portis 29mpg, 18pts, 53fg%, 73%FT, 9rebs, 1.2 blk

So Portis has more weight, better scorer, and more agile yet LA was taller and more explosive but not by much.

You can't compare Aldrige to Porter the way you are trying to.  Aldridge went #2 for a reason

There is what have you done in college? vs what you can do in the NBA.

Aldridge though he struggled earlier in his career became a star you see today.  Porter on the other hand is going to have a much tougher time.

This past season in college he couldn't even box out, grab defensive rebounds at times against big sized pf/C.   A guy like Jarell Martin moved Portis around without much fuss.  Even though Portis is listed at 240 pounds, he has narrow shoulders.  This is a disadvantage for big guys on the defensive end

How many big players with narrow shoulders have you seen excel in the NBA??  I can only list a few . Joakim Noah (but you see how hard he has to work. He really worked out hard to build muscle),  Jermaine O'neil (pretty much same as Noah and also had a long wingspan and pretty explosive for size)

Porter is not explosive, has narrow shoulders, good but not great wingspan and vertical and max vertical are below average.

Yes he can score , make the jump shot and has good quickness. Plays with a chip on his shoulder. But can he secure that defensive rebound when you need it late in games? Can he prevent his player from grabbing offensive rebounds?  If we didn't have Sully and KO (perimeter pfs), plus we had a legit center/rim protector, I would be ok with picking up Portis.

« Reply #91 on: May 25, 2015, 03:13:11 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
More and more it feels to me like Portis will be the pick at 16 if the Celts stay there, although with Danny Ainge you can never rule out him selecting a score-first guard if Payne is available at that spot.
Not much choice but it may turn out well. Take Portis for themselves if he is there or take Payne/Grant for trade back with Rockets. Despite Portis' lack luster combine #s he is similar to Aldridge.
Aldridge vs Portis

So Portis has more weight, better scorer, and more agile yet LA was taller and more explosive but not by much.

You can't compare Aldrige to Porter the way you are trying to.  Aldridge went #2 for a reason

Aldridge though he struggled earlier in his career became a star you see today.  Porter on the other hand is going to have a much tougher time.

This past season in college he couldn't even box out, grab defensive rebounds at times against big sized pf/C.   A guy like Jarell Martin moved Portis around without much fuss.  Even though Portis is listed at 240 pounds, he has narrow shoulders.  This is a disadvantage for big guys on the defensive end

How many big players with narrow shoulders have you seen excel in the NBA??  I can only list a few . Joakim Noah (but you see how hard he has to work. He really worked out hard to build muscle),  Jermaine O'neil (pretty much same as Noah and also had a long wingspan and pretty explosive for size)

Porter is not explosive, has narrow shoulders, good but not great wingspan and vertical and max vertical are below average.

Yes he can score , make the jump shot and has good quickness. Plays with a chip on his shoulder. But can he secure that defensive rebound when you need it late in games? Can he prevent his player from grabbing offensive rebounds?  If we didn't have Sully and KO (perimeter pfs), plus we had a legit center/rim protector, I would be ok with picking up Portis.
Yes I can because I just did. And you helped lay out why he is going 12-16 and not top 5. Similar doesn't mean exact or a clone. I think it's luck to get Portis at 16 if we do.

« Reply #92 on: May 25, 2015, 03:28:53 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
If Danny Ainge stays at #16, I could get on board with taking Booker, if the comparisons to Klay Thompson are at all reasonable.  I'd have a harder time getting on board with taking a point guard, but maybe it would make moving Bradley easier.

Lyles doesn't excite me.  RHJ has a broken jumper and Anderson and Upshaw seem like better picks in the 20-30 range.  Portis is redundant with Sullinger and Olynyk, but he might be a better two-way NBA player than either of them, so I'd be OK with that pick.

That's Goodman's mock, but I think Ford's is more realistic and he has the Hornets, who are starved for shooters, taking Booker at #9.

I think Booker will go to Miami at 10.

I don't. Riley's clock is ticking and he's never been patient with picks. I think he either trades down (acquiring a veteran player in the process) or takes a more NBA ready type (Johnson, Payne, Kaminsky, etc.).
valid point.  wouldn't mind moving AB for the #10 if WCS, Turner or Johnson are still there.  keep #16 if possible.  If #28 or #33 needed to make that deal happen, pull the trigger

How about this?

Boston
#10 pick
Ennis

For us...
We would need to have the Heat draft and subsequently sign whoever we tell them to select for us at #10 for cap purposes (see Wiggins to Wolves trade last year). After the player signs the rookie contract he can't be traded for 30 days.

Miami
Sullinger
Turner

For them...Win now mode for Miami. Sullinger and Turner are both capable of helping them out immediately. Sullinger can provide depth and insurance for Bosh and can be effective playing alongside Bosh or Whiteside. Turner can provide depth and insurance for both Wade and Deng, and can also run a lot of the second team offense, as Chalmers is better suited to play off the ball.
I think they would need the 16 back instead of the 28 and they potentially still might not do it.

28 and 33rd and they might
Why would they?  Neither Sully or Turner would start for the Heat.  They've already got McRoberts, Anderson and Haslem on the bench.  Sully and Turner are also in their last year of their contracts so the Heat might lose one or both after next season.  The Heat are going to be well over the luxury tax in order to re-sign Dragic so taking on an additional $5mil in salary would be quite costly for them.  The trade just doesn't improve the Heat's chances nearly enough next season to justify giving up the #10 pick.   

I don't think you realize just how cooked Andersen (turning 37) and Haslem (turning 35) looked last season. One averaged 4 ppg and 4 rpg, the other 5 ppg and 5 rpg. They also missed a total of 42 games. McRoberts is another question mark. He missed 65 games and struggled badly (4ppg and 2 rpg) when he did play.

Sullinger would solidify their big man rotation immensely and probably be closing games instead of Whiteside because of his offensive versatility/ability to hit FT's. Sullinger alone (13 ppg, along with 7 rpg) nearly averaged more points than those 3 Heat players you mentioned combined.

« Reply #93 on: May 25, 2015, 03:29:26 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Aldridge vs Portis

Yes I can because I just did. And you helped lay out why he is going 12-16 and not top 5. Similar doesn't mean exact or a clone. I think it's luck to get Portis at 16 if we do.
Is this fascination with shoulder width an accepted thing or is that a Triboy special?
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #94 on: May 25, 2015, 03:43:02 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Aldridge vs Portis

Portis got pretty much handled by Kentucky.  He was pushed around, out jumped and when guarded by quality players couldn't really do much offensively.     How do you think he is going to do in the NBA then?     Maybe he can add more strength/weight, but how will this affect his quickness?  How will it affect already his poor standstill and max vertical leap?

Some other team can have him.  I hope Danny skips.

« Reply #95 on: May 25, 2015, 03:58:21 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
Aldridge vs Portis

Portis got pretty much handled by Kentucky.  He was pushed around, out jumped and when guarded by quality players couldn't really do much offensively.     How do you think he is going to do in the NBA then?     Maybe he can add more strength/weight, but how will this affect his quickness?  How will it affect already his poor standstill and max vertical leap?

It's a team game. You know how much more help Martin had on his team than Portis. Kentucky is stacked so Portis didnt get the help he needs. Much like when Turner played Kentucky. I watched those games not draftexpress breakdowns. Portis is going to be better than no aggression KO and can't stay in shape Sully. We know this team can use any upgrade to this roster even if it's at PF.

« Reply #96 on: May 25, 2015, 04:05:19 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
Aldridge vs Portis

It's a team game. You know how much more help Martin had on his team than Portis. Kentucky is stacked so Portis didnt get the help he needs. Much like when Turner played Kentucky. I watched those games not draftexpress breakdowns. Portis is going to be better than no aggression KO and can't stay in shape Sully. We know this team can use any upgrade to this roster even if it's at PF.
I didnt watch the LSU Arkansas game but Portis went for 21 and 15 with 10 offensive boards.

I mean, who bossed who around?

worth noting Martin had 27 and 8 with the same number of defensive boards (5) as Portis.
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #97 on: May 25, 2015, 04:16:24 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
If Danny Ainge stays at #16, I could get on board with taking Booker, if the comparisons to Klay Thompson are at all reasonable.  I'd have a harder time getting on board with taking a point guard, but maybe it would make moving Bradley easier.

Lyles doesn't excite me.  RHJ has a broken jumper and Anderson and Upshaw seem like better picks in the 20-30 range.  Portis is redundant with Sullinger and Olynyk, but he might be a better two-way NBA player than either of them, so I'd be OK with that pick.

That's Goodman's mock, but I think Ford's is more realistic and he has the Hornets, who are starved for shooters, taking Booker at #9.

I don't. Riley's clock is ticking and he's never been patient with picks. I think he either trades down (acquiring a veteran player in the process) or takes a more NBA ready type (Johnson, Payne, Kaminsky, etc.).
valid point.  wouldn't mind moving AB for the #10 if WCS, Turner or Johnson are still there.  keep #16 if possible.  If #28 or #33 needed to make that deal happen, pull the trigger

How about this?

Boston
#10 pick
Ennis

For us...
We would need to have the Heat draft and subsequently sign whoever we tell them to select for us at #10 for cap purposes (see Wiggins to Wolves trade last year). After the player signs the rookie contract he can't be traded for 30 days.

Miami
Sullinger
Turner

For them...Win now mode for Miami. Sullinger and Turner are both capable of helping them out immediately. Sullinger can provide depth and insurance for Bosh and can be effective playing alongside Bosh or Whiteside. Turner can provide depth and insurance for both Wade and Deng, and can also run a lot of the second team offense, as Chalmers is better suited to play off the ball.
I think they would need the 16 back instead of the 28 and they potentially still might not do it.

Why would they?  Neither Sully or Turner would start for the Heat.  They've already got McRoberts, Anderson and Haslem on the bench.  Sully and Turner are also in their last year of their contracts so the Heat might lose one or both after next season.  The Heat are going to be well over the luxury tax in order to re-sign Dragic so taking on an additional $5mil in salary would be quite costly for them.  The trade just doesn't improve the Heat's chances nearly enough next season to justify giving up the #10 pick.   

I don't think you realize just how cooked Andersen (turning 37) and Haslem (turning 35) looked last season. One averaged 4 ppg and 4 rpg, the other 5 ppg and 5 rpg. They also missed a total of 42 games. McRoberts is another question mark. He missed 65 games and struggled badly (4ppg and 2 rpg) when he did play.

Sullinger would solidify their big man rotation immensely and probably be closing games instead of Whiteside because of his offensive versatility/ability to hit FT's. Sullinger alone (13 ppg, along with 7 rpg) nearly averaged more points than those 3 Heat players you mentioned combined.
You don't give up the #10 pick for a couple backups that are on the last year of their contracts.  Especially when one of them was called out by his coach and GM for his weight problems. 

« Reply #98 on: May 25, 2015, 04:19:07 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

How about this?

Boston
#10 pick
Ennis

For us...

Miami
Sullinger
Turner

You don't give up the #10 pick for a couple backups that are on the last year of their contracts.  Especially when one of them was called out by his coach and GM for his weight problems.

So if you're Riley you would rather draft at #10 and by the time he's actually ready to contribute (assuming he pans out of course) you can watch him on TV since you're probably gone. Riley doesn't have the greatest track record when it comes to draft picks either.

« Reply #99 on: May 25, 2015, 04:23:01 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Aldridge vs Portis

I didnt watch the LSU Arkansas game but Portis went for 21 and 15 with 10 offensive boards.

worth noting Martin had 27 and 8 with the same number of defensive boards (5) as Portis.

and Martin is a 2nd round talent.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 04:31:36 PM by triboy16f »

« Reply #100 on: May 25, 2015, 04:38:50 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
Aldridge vs Portis

and Martin is a 2nd round talent.
And 5 out of the 7 Kentucky players coming out are first round picks. And the other two are 2nd rounders. Understand why people struggled verse Kentucky yet?

« Reply #101 on: May 25, 2015, 04:44:42 PM »

Offline mahcus smaht

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 4
Aldridge vs Portis

Martin is a 2nd round talent.
Portis outplayed Martin in that game.

Martin/Mickey arguably  outplayed the towers of Kentucky in their matchup
Terry Rozier outplayed Deangelo Russel in their matchup,
Rakeem Christmas dominated Harrell in their matchup
And Cliff Alexander outplayed Myles Turner in their matchup
Zach Auguste held his own against Karl Towns in their matchup

Also both NBADraft.net and DraftExpress have Martin being selected in the first round

« Reply #102 on: May 25, 2015, 04:55:06 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

How about this?

Boston
#10 pick
Ennis

For us...

Miami
Sullinger
Turner

So if you're Riley you would rather draft at #10 and by the time he's actually ready to contribute (assuming he pans out of course) you can watch him on TV since you're probably gone. Riley doesn't have the greatest track record when it comes to draft picks either.
I'd certainly shop the pick.  However if I couldn't get a better offer than the proposal, I'd keep it.  There is no reason to assume that all the players around #10 are projects that are going to take years to develop. 

« Reply #103 on: May 25, 2015, 05:02:24 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Aldridge vs Portis

Also both NBADraft.net and DraftExpress have Martin being selected in the first round

yes Portis did. He let Martin score 27 points.  At least a majority of it.  That is not called outplaying someone

Christmas did outplay Harrell.  Harrell is only projected to be a backup 4 in the NBA. His stock has been dropping .

I didn't even know Alexandre outplayed Turner.  Even more of a reason to stay away from Turner

Portis and Turner are two guys the Celts should stay away from imo.  We already have KO and Sullinger (undersized, below the rim type players). 

Celtics need to add above the rim , defensive oriented or capable bigs.  I would take the chance on Upshaw and/or draft Mickey later.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 05:07:37 PM by triboy16f »

« Reply #104 on: May 25, 2015, 05:14:53 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
Aldridge vs Portis

yes Portis did. He let Martin score 27 points.  At least a majority of it.  That is not called outplaying someone

Christmas did outplay Harrell. That is why Harrell is only projected to be a backup 4 in the NBA. His stock has dropping .

I didn't even know Alexandre outplayed Turner.  Even more of a reason to stay away from Turner

Portis and Turner are two guys the Celts should stay away from imo.  We already have KO and Sullinger (undersized, below the rim type players). 

Celtics need to add above the rim , defensive oriented or capable bigs.  I would take the chance on Upshaw and/or draft Mickey later.
Martin outscored Portis (27 vs. 21) and had more steals (2 vs. 0)
Portis had fewer turnover (5 vs. 3) more blocks (2 vs. 1) more rebounds (15 vs. 8 ), more offensive rebounds (10 vs. 3) and more assists (4 vs. 0) in 6 fewer minutes.

I would say Portis outplayed Martin.