Author Topic: ESPN Mock Drafts  (Read 29771 times)

Re: ESPN Mock Drafts
« Reply #60 on: May 20, 2015, 11:50:10 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Looney will be a bust imo. Just too passive

Mcullough , Mickey and Upshaw are the three I want and feel is good for the team

Eventually the lineup

Upshaw
Sullinger
Mcullough
AB
Smart

KO
mickey
Crowder
Young
IT

DEFINITELY agree on Upshaw. I just read up on him and could care less about off-court issues
http://www.nba.com/2015/news/features/scott_howard_cooper/03/14/despite-transgressions-robert-upshaw-could-still-go-in-first-round/

He's 7 feet, a legit shot blocker who can score and block.

THIS is what we need, not a million small and power forwards.

I would draft Upshaw at 16 because I have a feeling he won't still be available at 28.

Other than Upshaw, I see no one else projected at 16 that excites me in the least.

And if we can pick up another big in free agency, Upshaw could also learn from them as well.

« Reply #61 on: May 20, 2015, 11:57:11 AM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

Upshaw
Sullinger
Mcullough
AB
Smart

KO
mickey
Crowder
Young
IT

Does that team remind anyone else of the circa 2008 New York Knicks?

No. List me one decent rim protector that knicks team had.

The lineup i propose above has upshaw, mccullough and mickey to protect the rim around the clock. It makes a big difference

I'm not talking so much about that, those Knicks employed a lot of 7 foot monsters to stand in the paint, but you're absolutely right that they all sucked on D.

I'm talking about the freak show combination of dudes. Giants. Midgets. Big guys who play soft. Little guys who play hard. Shooters who can't shoot. Tools guys with no game. Gamers with no tools. All-O-no-D players. All-D-no-O players. Dudes with eating problems. Dudes with attitude problems. Dudes with injury problems.

« Reply #62 on: May 20, 2015, 12:27:23 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Looney will be a bust imo. Just too passive

Mcullough , Mickey and Upshaw are the three I want and feel is good for the team

Eventually the lineup

Upshaw
Sullinger
Mcullough
AB
Smart

KO
mickey
Crowder
Young
IT
Looney was a freshman on a solid team, and still took 9 shots a game. I think it's more that he's young and learning to play than he is passive. He took more shots per game than Westbrook as a freshman (and only one less than Westbrook did as a soph) and 1.5 shots less than Kevin Love did as a freshman at UCLA.

I doubt McCullough is an sf long term and I highly doubt he ends up being a better prospect than Young.

Mickey and Upshaw would be good picks with 28 and 33

McCullough could end up a very special player. And if Danny thinks he can play sf, I can trust his opinion.  Just watch the video below.   

http://youtu.be/ZUX0GwBO6OI

« Reply #63 on: May 21, 2015, 07:09:17 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Good article by Goodman!

With the draft order finally determined, it's time to look at who each of the teams that participated in the NBA draft lottery should pick.

For this exercise, I've gone through and offered my pick for each spot. Then, I consulted with five high-ranking NBA executives to see what they thought of my picks -- and what they might do differently:

All comments are from current NBA executives who wished to remain anonymous

1. Karl-Anthony Towns, C

Minnesota Timberwolves
College: Kentucky | 6-foot-11, 250 pounds

Analysis: Towns has the length up front the Wolves need and can do far more away from the basket than he showed this past season at Kentucky. Towns blocked shots and scored in the paint, but he's also able to step away from the basket and make shots. While Jahlil Okafor is a back-to-the-basket guy, Towns is far more versatile and would also upgrade Minnesota's defense. Not to mention that Okafor and Nikola Pekovic wouldn't work well on the court together.

Pick from our NBA executives survey: Towns (5)

"The Wolves have to take him because he can impact the game on both ends of the floor."

"He makes more sense than Okafor, although it's not an easy call."

2. Jahlil Okafor, C

Los Angeles Lakers
College: Duke | 6-foot-11, 275 pounds

Analysis: The Lakers are celebrating after getting the second overall pick. Now Kobe Bryant has a ready-made big man who can help draw some attention in the post. Okafor is skilled and can impact an NBA game immediately with his size, skill and high basketball IQ. With a healthy Bryant, and after adding both Julius Randle and Okafor up front, the Lakers could be back in the playoffs next season.

Pick from our NBA executives survey: Okafor (5)

"He's too good not to take. I know the fit might be a question, but they can't pass on Okafor."

"Their bigs [stink]. I don't see how they could take a guard. This is an easy one."

3. Emmanuel Mudiay, PG

Philadelphia 76ers
College: China | 6-foot-5, 196 pounds

Analysis: It'll be a difficult choice for Sam Hinkie between the top two point guards: D'Angelo Russell and Emmanuel Mudiay. Russell has tremendous court vision, but Mudiay is the new-age point guard -- he's big, strong and athletic. Russell is the superior shooter and passer, but Mudiay has the higher upside -- and would be fun to watch with Joel Embiid and Nerlens Noel up front.

Pick from our NBA executives survey: Mudiay (3), D'Angelo Russell (2)

"Mudiay is a wild card. It's going to come down to who they like more. For me, I'd go with Russell. I'm more familiar with him and really like him because he can do everything."

"I think they wind up taking Russell, even though I think most teams would take Mudiay here. We'd take Mudiay -- but I think they go with Russell."

4. D'Angelo Russell, PG

New York Knicks
College: Ohio State | 6-foot-5, 176 pounds

Analysis: Phil Jackson and the Knicks are still licking their wounds after falling to No. 4, but Russell will make them feel better. He has such a tremendous feel for the game, and while just an above-average athlete, he finds a way to score in a variety of ways while also possessing tremendous court vision and passing ability. Carmelo Anthony will love him.

Pick from our NBA executives survey: Russell (4), Kristaps Porzingis (1)

"I'd take Porzingis, but I'm also not in New York -- where they will probably get crucified for taking him."

"Russell makes the most sense for New York, and I think he works well in the triangle."

5. Kristaps Porzingis, PF

Orlando Magic
College: Latvia | 6-foot-11, 220 pounds

Analysis: The Magic will likely choose between athletic wing Justise Winslow and the skilled 7-foot-1 Porzingis. General manager Rob Henningan already has a bunch of athletes who aren't considered great shooters (Aaron Gordon, Elfrid Payton, Victor Oladipo). He could use a guy who can make shots, and Porzingis has as much upside as anyone in this draft. He's 19, can score from deep and is also a good athlete.

Pick from our NBA executives survey: Porzingis (2), Justise Winslow (2), Willie Cauley-Stein (1)

"It makes the most sense to take Cauley-Stein. You can play him and (Nikola) Vucevic together."

"I think you're right with Porzingis, especially for what they need. Justise Winslow isn't a great shooter, and I don't know how you add another perimeter non-shooter."

6. Frank Kaminsky, C

Sacramento Kings
College: Wisconsin | 7-foot, 234 pounds

Analysis: I know it's dangerous to draft for need, but the Kings sorely need a power forward who has the skill to play alongside DeMarcus Cousins. Kaminsky can do just that, as he's a guy who can stretch the defense with his ability to make shots from beyond the arc. This might be higher than most have Kaminsky, but the guy has made huge strides throughout his college career and with the right system, he can be an effective NBA player.

Pick from our NBA executives survey: Willie Cauley-Stein (3), Winslow (2)

"I think it's high for Kaminsky, but they need stability. Look at what he did last season, and it's not crazy by any means. Personally, I'd go with Cauley-Stein here. He'd help make up for DeMarcus Cousins' defensive deficiencies."

"No. I don't think so with Kaminsky here. It sounds too high to me. It's too early. The name will intrigue and Vlade [Divac] will love his skill -- in theory. But I don't see it."

7. Justise Winslow, SF

Denver Nuggets
College: Duke | 6-foot-6, 222 pounds

Analysis: The Nuggets need a young wing, and while Winslow isn't a knock-down shooter, he did wind up shooting 42 percent from 3 as a freshman at Duke. He'll also give Denver toughness and a lock-down defender.

Pick from our NBA executives survey: Winslow (4), Mario Hezonja (1)

"You've got to take Winslow. That's a freakin' steal."

"Denver takes him in a heartbeat if he is still there at No. 7."

8. Mario Hezonja, SF

Detroit Pistons
College: Croatia | 6-foot-7, 200 pounds

Analysis: The Pistons will build around Andre Drummond, and the question remains whether Stan Van Gundy will keep Reggie Jackson and go with a small backcourt of Brandon Jennings and Jackson -- or move Jennings. Detroit will likely need someone to replace Greg Monroe, and the Pistons also need a wing with size. The easy pick here is Hezonja -- who is athletic and can also shoot it.

Pick from our NBA executives survey: Hezonja (2) Stanley Johnson (2), Cauley-Stein (1)

"They need size at the wing spot. I think it comes down to Hezonja or Stanley Johnson."

"Hezonja is talented enough to be a top five or six pick. He shoots it well, he's really athletic, can handle and creates shots for himself. This would be a good get for Detroit."

9. Willie Cauley-Stein, C

Charlotte Hornets
College: Kentucky | 7-foot, 240 pounds

Analysis: The Hornets also could use a wing who can shoot, but if Hezonja is off the board they might have no choice but to upgrade their perimeter defense. Al Jefferson is subpar on the defensive end, and WCS gives Charlotte a shot-blocker who can run the floor. He's a game-changer on the defensive side of the ball.

Pick from our NBA executives survey: Cauley-Stein (3), Kelly Oubre (1), Devin Booker (1)

"If Hezonja isn't there, I'd go with Cauley-Stein. He has one skill that translates. Defense."

"Charlotte could use Cauley-Stein, but I think they need a shooter even more. Booker is the best pure shooter in the draft."

10. Sam Dekker, SF

Miami Heat
College: Wisconsin | 6-foot-9, 230 pounds

Analysis: The Heat need fresh, young legs -- and Dekker provides them with that and also a guy who has proven that he isn't afraid of the moment. He's a long, athletic small forward who could eventually replace Loul Deng. Dekker's perimeter shot needs to become more consistent, but he showed he can make them in the NCAA tourney.

Pick from our NBA executives survey: Myles Turner (2), Dekker (1), Kelly Oubre (1), Stanley Johnson (1)

"I like Dekker's upside -- and I think he fits in Miami. They have Hassan Whiteside and Chris Bosh, but he can play with either of those guys."

"This is a tough call, and I think it's where the draft starts to drop a bit. I'd grab the best player available if I were the Heat, and I think it's going to be Oubre."

11. Myles Turner, PF

Indiana Pacers
College: Texas | 7-foot, 240 pounds

Analysis: The Pacers need an upgrade along the front line, and Turner's a guy -- when he gains more strength in his lower body -- who would give Indiana someone who can step out and make shots and also someone who can provide a presence on the defensive end.

Pick from our NBA executives survey: Myles Turner (2), Cameron Payne (2), Trey Lyles (1)

"David West is getting older, and Roy Hibbert is a shell of himself. The Pacers need to go big, and Turner is a good choice."

"Indiana needs a lot, and I could see them trying to upgrade at the point guard position. Cameron Payne is the best point guard on the board."

12. Stanley Johnson, SF

Utah Jazz
College: Arizona | 6-foot-7, 237 pounds

Analysis: It's tough to determine the biggest need for the Jazz. They have a front line of Gordon Hayward, Derrick Favors and Rudy Gobert. Alec Burks and Rodney Hood are solid wings, and it's still unclear whether the point guard duo of Dante Exum and Trey Burke will be enough to get Utah to the next level. Johnson is a power wing who struggled at times as a freshman but could be a huge piece in the future.

Pick from our NBA executives survey: Kelly Oubre (2), Stanley Johnson (1), Cameron Payne (1), Trey Lyles (1)

"Oubre has huge upside. The sky's the limit for this kid. He didn't have a great year, but his talent is undeniable. That's who I'd go with here."

"I think Utah swings at Turner if he's around because he is a shooting big, but I could see them going with Stanley here -- if he's still on the board."

13. Kelly Oubre, SF

Phoenix Suns
College: Kansas | 6-foot-7, 204 pounds

Analysis: The Suns need an upgrade at the 3 (see: Marcus Morris), and while Oubre is a work in progress, he has high upside. Oubre struggled out of the gates at Kansas as a freshman but made improvements. If he can become a consistent shooter, he could be a high-level guy in the NBA.

Pick from our NBA executives survey: Kelly Oubre (3), Jerian Grant (1), Bobby Portis (1)

"The Suns need size in the backcourt. They have [Eric] Bledsoe and Brandon Knight. Those two are tiny. Adding Jerian Grant would be huge. They need a guard with some size."

14. Jerian Grant, PG

Oklahoma City Thunder
College: Notre Dame | 6-5, 185 pounds

Analysis: OKC doesn't necessarily need anything besides health, and the Thunder should return just about everyone from this season's squad. Grant is a guy who can play both backcourt spots if needed -- and could be an upgrade at the 2-guard spot.

Pick from our NBA executives survey: Devin Booker (2), Jerian Grant (2), Justin Anderson (1)

"Grant fits them, and he can play with Russell Westbrook really well."

"Booker is the best on the board. Plus, they could use another shooter."

« Reply #64 on: May 21, 2015, 07:14:59 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
I found this comment interesting from one of the execs, "Personally, I'd go with Cauley-Stein here. He'd help make up for DeMarcus Cousins' defensive deficiencies", since his D has been frequently discussed here.

« Reply #65 on: May 21, 2015, 07:28:00 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I think Sacramento takes Hezonja. He is a great shooter. He would be an excellent 2nd/3rd scoring option behind DeMarcus Cousins and Rudy Gay.

« Reply #66 on: May 21, 2015, 08:26:08 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
I think Sacramento takes Hezonja. He is a great shooter. He would be an excellent 2nd/3rd scoring option behind DeMarcus Cousins and Rudy Gay.

WCS would definitely slide down to a range where we could trade up to get him in this scenario.

« Reply #67 on: May 22, 2015, 07:10:18 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Anyone have insider?

I wonder if one of these execs that want to remain ananymous is Chad Ford

http://espn.go.com/nba/draft2015/insider/story/_/id/12925028/jeff-goodman-mock-lottery-nba-executives-survey-2015-nba-draft

« Reply #68 on: May 22, 2015, 08:00:42 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

« Reply #69 on: May 24, 2015, 12:46:03 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

« Reply #70 on: May 24, 2015, 01:00:50 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

That would be 3 years in a row where they will take a SG in the lottery. Wow! This Kings franchise is a mess.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #71 on: May 24, 2015, 01:08:07 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Mock pie

« Reply #72 on: May 24, 2015, 01:57:32 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

« Reply #73 on: May 24, 2015, 02:03:20 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
So based on the latest mock it's Booker, Lyles, Payne as the just outside the lottery group. And maybe Portis, RHJ, Anderson and Upshaw after them. It's interesting for sure 10-20 picks.

Also I noticed Grant and Payne seem to flip on different sites on which PG goes first. Can see a Smart vs Payton debate for those guys with Paula being Clarkson lol.

« Reply #74 on: May 24, 2015, 03:43:11 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
If Danny Ainge stays at #16, I could get on board with taking Booker, if the comparisons to Klay Thompson are at all reasonable.  I'd have a harder time getting on board with taking a point guard, but maybe it would make moving Bradley easier.

Lyles doesn't excite me.  RHJ has a broken jumper and Anderson and Upshaw seem like better picks in the 20-30 range.  Portis is redundant with Sullinger and Olynyk, but he might be a better two-way NBA player than either of them, so I'd be OK with that pick.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain