Author Topic: ESPN Mock Drafts  (Read 29699 times)

Re: ESPN Mock Drafts
« Reply #45 on: May 18, 2015, 08:04:47 PM »

Online knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
Upshaw isn't even in Ford's top 35.  Maybe we can get him with the 28th pick.

I wonder how accurate Ford is.  Maybe we can look into his archive of prior year mocks and see.   ;D

« Reply #46 on: May 18, 2015, 08:09:28 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

« Reply #47 on: May 18, 2015, 08:09:59 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

I wonder how accurate Ford is.  Maybe we can look into his archive of prior year mocks and see.   ;D

It's not mock per-say, as teams needs aren't factored. It's more of where he ranks players based on value. That said, if Upshaw isn't in his top 35, as he wasn't part of his "next five", then I would think he might have done poorly in interviews.

The GM/Scout comments are probably more important than where we ranks them.

« Reply #48 on: May 18, 2015, 08:15:50 PM »

Online knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664

It's not mock per-say, as teams needs aren't factored. It's more of where he ranks players based on value. That said, if Upshaw isn't in his top 35, as he wasn't part of his "next five", then I would think he might have done poorly in interviews.

I realize it's not a mock.  I was just taking a shot at Ford since he was accused of changing the mock drafts in his archives to improve them.

Maybe teams are afraid of Upshaw's history.  Or maybe they don't want to tip their hand.

« Reply #49 on: May 18, 2015, 08:18:32 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
I love Grant but Id rather not take a point gaurd

I think its rare to get a guy with Oubre's ceiling at 16 Id be happy with that.

If I could get Oubre, Anderson, Upshaw without moving around, I would be happy with that.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2015, 08:19:21 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

I realize it's not a mock.  I was just taking a shot at Ford since he was accused of changing the mock drafts in his archives to improve them.

Maybe teams are afraid of Upshaw's history.  Or maybe they don't want to tip their hand.

Perhaps, but there were a lot of comments out there surrounding all the prospects. Very curious as to Upshaw.

« Reply #51 on: May 20, 2015, 08:49:45 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
1Karl-Anthony TownsMinnesota TimberwolvesCOLLEGE: KentuckyHT: 6-11WT: 250POS: C
The Wolves are the only team some NBA scouts believe might take Jahlil Okafor over Towns. I see the appeal, and I know Flip Saunders is a fan. But for now, I'm sticking with Towns. Not only is he a more complete player, but I think he's a better fit. With Towns, the Wolves have the ability to form a super-team. His versatility should allow the Wolves to play him alongside Gourgi Dieng -- another young center they really love. And put Towns on the floor with this year's Rookie of the Year, Andrew Wiggins, Ricky Rubio running the point and other solid young prospects such as Zach LaVine, Shabazz Muhammed, Anthony Bennett and Adreian Payne and the Wolves have the best young core in the NBA. It might take them a while to be super-competitive in the West, but when they mature in a few years, it will be a major wow.

PLAYER CARD
2Jahlil OkaforLos Angeles LakersCOLLEGE: DukeHT: 6-11WT: 275POS: C
The Lakers would probably prefer Towns because of his shot-blocking ability, but Okafor is a great get here. Pair him on the front line with last year's lottery pick, Julius Randle, and first-team All Rookie Team guard Jordan Clarkson and the Lakers finally have some real pieces to build around. Offensively, Okafor is the most gifted young big man I've seen in a decade. He has great feet and hands and plays with a great feel for the game. He's going to average 20 ppg in the league. If Okafor can keep that slimmed-down physique he showed off in New York this week, he might end up surprising us all on the defensive end.

PLAYER CARD
3D'Angelo RussellPhiladelphia 76ersCOLLEGE: Ohio StateHT: 6-5WT: 193POS: PG
This really isn't a bad outcome for the 76ers. They desperately need both a point guard and a shooter, and Russell is the best on both counts. They would've been tempted to take a big if they had gone higher just because it would've been a more valuable asset. But Russell is the best fit with this young team and will make them look really smart moving Michael Carter-Williams out of the way for him. I really think Russell has the chance to become a star, and with Joel Embiid and Nerlens Noel clogging the paint, they found the perfect guard to spread the floor.

PLAYER CARD
4Emmanuel MudiayNew York KnicksCOLLEGE: ChinaHT: 6-5WT: 196POS: PG
The Knicks are obviously hurting. They really wanted the No. 1 pick and a chance at a dominant big. They also miss out on the best offensive guard in the draft in Russell. However, Mudiay is a terrific consolation prize. He's strong, attacks the basket, plays on both ends and has unique maturity for his age to handle the bright lights of NYC. Yes, the Knicks might decide to trade the pick. But they shouldn't. Mudiay could become a star for them -- sooner rather than later.

PLAYER CARD
5Kristaps PorzingisOrlando MagicCOLLEGE: LatviaHT: 6-11WT: 220POS: PF
The Magic's biggest need is a young, athletic stretch 4 who can also protect the rim. Porzingis will fit perfectly there. Yes, they signed Channing Frye to do the same thing last year, but Porzingis is better and younger. I love the core nucleus of Elfrid Payton, Victor Oladipo, Aaron Gordon, Porzingis and Nikola Vucevic. And of that group, as good as Payton is, Porzingis has a chance to be the best player on the team.

PLAYER CARD
6Willie Cauley-SteinSacramento KingsCOLLEGE: KentuckyHT: 7-1WT: 242POS: C
The Kings need a rim protector in the worst way (and defensive help, overall). Cauley-Stein has a chance to be both the best overall defender and rim protector in the draft. If the Kings can get over the fact that they'll be adding yet another unusual personality to the mix, Cauley-Stein is an excellent fit next to DeMarcus Cousins. Justise Winslow, Kristaps Porzingis and Myles Turner are also possibilities if they are on the board at this point.

PLAYER CARD
7Justise WinslowDenver NuggetsCOLLEGE: DukeHT: 6-6WT: 222POS: SF
The Nuggets have needs everywhere, which gives them the luxury of drafting the best player available at this slot. Winslow's so-so measurements at the combine coupled with ongoing concerns about his ability to shoot off the bounce might cause him to slide this low. But at No. 7, given his elite athletic abilities, strength, motor and leadership attributes, he looks like a good fit in Denver. Mario Hezonja, Stanley Johnson and Myles Turner are other possibilities here.

PLAYER CARD
8Mario HezonjaDetroit PistonsCOLLEGE: CroatiaHT: 6-7WT: 200POS: SF
The Pistons have need at shooting guard, small forward and possibly at power forward should Greg Monroe decide to bail. Hezonja's ability to play either wing position should be very attractive to them. So should his 3-point shooting, as the Pistons could really use it. While Hezonja didn't get a lot of touches or minutes in Spain this season, when he was on the court he was very effective, especially in Euroleague play. Justise Winslow, Stanley Johnson, Myles Turner and Devin Booker are the other players the Pistons will look at seriously with this pick.

PLAYER CARD
9Devin BookerCharlotte HornetsCOLLEGE: KentuckyHT: 6-6WT: 206POS: SG
The top four 3-point-shooting teams in the NBA just happen to be the last four teams standing in the NBA playoffs. That fact won't be lost on the Hornets, who this season finished dead last in the NBA in 3-point-shooting percentage at 31.8 percent. While Booker might be a little bit of a stretch here, he's quite possibly the best shooter in the draft. He also plays with a high basketball IQ and, as the youngest player in the draft, has plenty of upside. Stanley Johnson, Kelly Oubre and R.J. Hunter will be other options here, but the word out of Charlotte is the Hornets are big fans of Booker.

PLAYER CARD
10Stanley JohnsonMiami HeatCOLLEGE: ArizonaHT: 6-6WT: 242POS: SF
The Heat need depth everywhere and might need starters at all five positions depending on how things play out this summer in free agency. Dwayne Wade, Goran Dragic and Luol Deng all can opt out. Plus, Chris Bosh's health is still a major question mark. Johnson makes a lot of sense here for the Heat; he's one of the most NBA-ready prospects in the draft, with the size and strength to play right away. And, given how young he is, there's still a lot of upside there. Wisconsin's Sam Dekker and Frank Kaminsky along with Texas' Myles Turner are other players in the mix for Miami.
PLAYER CARD
11Myles TurnerIndiana PacersCOLLEGE: TexasHT: 6-11WT: 239POS: PF
Larry Bird apparently has a thing for Willie Cauley-Stein, telling him in a team interview last week in Chicago that he was a $100 million player. Alas, I don't think Cauley-Stein will be on the board when Indiana picks here. But there are other players who fit the idea of Cauley-Stein -- a more mobile, less lumbering sort of low-post presence than the Pacers' current big man, Roy Hibbert. Turner isn't quite the athlete Cauley-Stein is, but he's similar in size, is mobile and, as an added bonus, can really stretch the floor. He'll be pitted against Frank Kaminsky, who is another mobile shooter. Kaminsky might be more NBA-ready. Turner has more upside. It will be a tough choice between those two. Also, look out for Murray State's Cameron Payne. The Pacers are eyeing help at the point guard position, and word out of Indiana is that Bird is a big fan of the Murray State point guard.
PLAYER CARD
12Trey LylesUtah JazzCOLLEGE: KentuckyHT: 6-10WT: 242POS: PF
The Jazz are one of the few teams that can just draft whoever falls to them. They have young players they really like at all five positions. So, the next-highest-rated guy on their board should be able to come in and help right away in a backup role. Lyles has a high basketball IQ, good size for his position and versatility.He's not the most explosive athlete in the world, but his solid all-around game makes him a good fit in Utah. Frank Kaminsky, Sam Dekker and Kevon Looney are other players who will get serious looks here by the Jazz.
PLAYER CARD
13Frank KaminskyPhoenix SunsCOLLEGE: WisconsinHT: 7-1WT: 231POS: C
As I explained last month, the Suns don't have a lot of options in the middle behind Alex Len. Kaminsky not only can play right now, but he would give Phoenix an entirely different look. While Len thrives in the paint, Kaminsky is at his best facing the basket and stretching the floor. He adds immediate depth to the Suns' front line. Jerian Grant, Kelly Oubre and R.J. Hunter could all be good fits here, as well.
PLAYER CARD
14Cameron PayneOklahoma City ThunderCOLLEGE: Murray StateHT: 6-2WT: 183POS: PG
The Thunder need a long-term starter at the 2 guard, but they need a player who's ready sooner rather than later. But at this portion of the draft I'm not sure that player is available.They also could use help behind Russell Westbrook at the point, and Payne seems like a terrific option. He's heady and crafty and his balance between scoring the basketball and shooting appears just about perfect. R.J. Hunter, Kelly Oubre and Jerian Grant are other strong possibilities in OKC.
PLAYER CARD
15Sam DekkerAtlanta HawksCOLLEGE: WisconsinHT: 6-9WT: 219POS: SF
The Hawks get the right to trade picks with the Nets as a result of the Joe Johnson trade. Dekker looks like an ideal fit for the Hawks. As I stated last month, his versatility, toughness and ability to stretch the floor make him a strong fit in Mike Budenholzer's offense. Kelly Oubre, R.J. Hunter and Kevon Looney are other potential options here.
PLAYER CARD
16Kevon LooneyBoston CelticsCOLLEGE: UCLAHT: 6-9WT: 222POS: PF
The Celtics will obviously explore moving up in the draft. Their biggest need is an athletic rim protector, and they'd love to get their hands on Willie Cauley-Stein. But assuming they stand pat at No. 16, there are a couple of intriguing options for them if they want to swing for the fences. Foremost among them is Looney, a guy who is getting knocked around a bit by scouts right now because he's a project. But he has some terrific tools, including amazing length, versatility to play inside and out and a really good work ethic. I actually think that once he gets into workouts, he'll wow teams. But until then, I think this would be a great get for the Celtics. Kelly Oubre and Bobby Portis are other good fits here.

PLAYER CARD
17Kelly OubreMilwaukee BucksCOLLEGE: KansasHT: 6-7WT: 203POS: SF
The Bucks are another team that would really love to get their hands on a rim protector. However, at this point in the draft, I'm not sold there is one worth grabbing. Shooting is the other big need, and Oubre could be an intriguing get. The lefty is a potential 3-and-D-type player with a terrific wingspan and an improving 3-point shot. On a team with several major upside players, he'd be a great get. Oubre is a top-10 talent, but he will require a patient team. The Bucks can afford to be patient, especially with Khris Middleton already playing the 2. R.J. Hunter, Bobby Portis and Justin Anderson are also potential fits in Milwaukee.
PLAYER CARD
18Tyus JonesHouston RocketsCOLLEGE: DukeHT: 6-2WT: 185POS: PG
The Pelicans send their pick to the Rockets as part of the Omer Asik trade. It's not news to anyone that the Rockets need help at the point in the worst way. Payne, Jones, Grant and Delon Wright are all serious options here. The whispers that the Rockets are in love with Jones continue to grow louder. Not only did he just win the National Championship, but he tests extremely well analytically -- a major plus for Houston.
PLAYER CARD
19Bobby PortisWashington WizardsCOLLEGE: ArkansasHT: 6-11WT: 246POS: PF
The Wizards are another team that is fairly easy to figure out when it comes to draft needs. With one year left on Nene's contract (along with dwindling returns), they need help at the 4. Portis would be a great option if he lasts this long. He could go as high as No. 12 to Utah or No. 16 to Boston, but if he's available here, he's a steal. He's one of the more NBA-ready players in the draft. He might never be an All-Star, but he's going to have a long career in the NBA. Kevon Looney and Montrezl Harrell are other strong possibilities for the Wizards.
PLAYER CARD
20Jerian GrantToronto RaptorsCOLLEGE: Notre DameHT: 6-4WT: 198POS: PG
Lou Williams is a free agent this summer, and that could leave open space for a player like Grant who could provide instant offense off the bench at either the 1 or the 2. And with the Raptors hyper-focused on the playoffs, getting a veteran, gritty player like Grant makes a lot of sense. Christian Wood, Delon Wright and Terry Rozier are other players who could fit for Toronto.
PLAYER CARD
21R.J. HunterDallas MavericksCOLLEGE: Georgia StHT: 6-6WT: 185POS: SG
The Mavs are potentially looking at holes at the 1, 2 (assuming Monta Ellis opts out) and 5 this year. Traditionally, the Mavs haven't chosen to use the draft to fill those needs. They discard draft picks almost as quickly as the Nets do. But if they hold on to one, adding a potential lights-out shooter such as Hunter makes a lot of sense. Delon Wright, Justin Anderson and Rashad Vaughn are other possibilities for Dallas.
PLAYER CARD
22Delon WrightChicago BullsCOLLEGE: UtahHT: 6-6WT: 181POS: PG
Derrick Rose is healthy again, but several things point to the Bulls potentially needing help at the backup point guard position. First, both Kirk Hinrich and Aaron Brooks are free agents. Second, Rose needs a solid backup who can allow whoever his new coach is to limit his minutes. Wright is a cagey senior who doesn't necessarily wow you in any one area but is the sort of perfect point guard who makes smart plays and rarely makes mistakes. Justin Anderson, Rashad Vaughn and Terry Rozier are also possibilities for the Bulls.
PLAYER CARD
23Montrezl HarrellPortland Trail BlazersCOLLEGE: LouisvilleHT: 6-8WT: 253POS: PF
Both LaMarcus Aldridge and Joel Freeland are free agents this summer. Aldridge should be back, but the Blazers could use some depth at the 4. Harrell is a bit undersized, but his length, athleticism and terrific motor means he should be able to come in and impact the game right away. Rondae Hollis-Jefferson, Christian Wood and Justin Anderson are also potential fits in Portland.
PLAYER CARD
24Rondae Hollis-JeffersonCleveland CavaliersCOLLEGE: ArizonaHT: 6-7WT: 211POS: SF
With the strong play of Matthew Dellavedova in the playoffs and the elite point guards in the draft all off the board, the Cavs can move on to other needs. One is a long-term sub for LeBron James. Shawn Marion and James Jones will both be gone, and Hollis-Jefferson is the one sophomore who can come in and play right away thanks to his stellar defensive abilities. If he were a better shooter, he'd be a top-10 pick. Justin Anderson, Terry Rozier and Christian Wood could all be nice picks here, as well.
PLAYER CARD
25Christian WoodMemphis GrizzliesCOLLEGE: UNLVHT: 6-11WT: 216POS: PF
Memphis could use a dash of athleticism and shot blocking into its front court (it ranked 24th in the league in blocked shots per game last season). Wood, though raw, has a lot of potential as a rebounder and shot-blocker. If he can get stronger and more mature, he's a steal this late in the draft. The Grizzlies also might be very tempted to take Washington's Robert Upshaw here. He's a lottery-type talent with some major off-the-court issues.The feedback from teams at the draft combine was that Upshaw was too risky to take in the first round, but I could see Memphis swinging for the fences with him.
PLAYER CARD
26Justin AndersonSan Antonio SpursCOLLEGE: VirginiaHT: 6-6WT: 231POS: SF
The Spurs always seem to find value guys in the late first round, and Anderson fits that definition -- especially if they end up losing Danny Green to free agency. Anderson is another 3-and-D guy with an NBA body and athleticism. He also drew rave reviews from NBA teams in his interviews. I could see him rising much higher as we get closer to the draft if he shoots the ball well in workouts. That's the only real question with him: Was this season's elite 3-point shooting a fluke? Rashad Vaughn, Michael Frazier II and Pat Connaughton also are fits in San Antonio.
PLAYER CARD
27Rashad VaughnLos Angeles LakersCOLLEGE: UNLVHT: 6-5WT: 199POS: SG
Vaughn is a go-for-guy pick. He's very young, put up good numbers at UNLV as a freshman and might be very underrated at this point in the draft (we moved him up to No. 23 on our Big Board). He could be a sort of Nick Young-type player. Yes, the Lakers already have Young, but as the rebuilding process begins, I'm not sure how much longer he'll be sticking around. Chris McCullough, Dakari Johnson and Robert Upshaw are also possibilities here.
PLAYER CARD
28Chris McCulloughBoston CelticsCOLLEGE: SyracuseHT: 6-9WT: 199POS: PF
The Celtics still need athleticism and shot blocking in their front court, and it might make sense to take a flier on McCullough here. Had he not hurt his ACL in January, he might be 10 spots higher on the board. He averaged 2.0 blocks per game as a freshman, and as he gets stronger, he'll continue to improve. The Celtics might not be able to play him for a year, but the long-term investment is interesting. Robert Upshaw and Jordan Mickey are other possibilities here
PLAYER CARD
29Terry RozierBrooklyn NetsCOLLEGE: LouisvilleHT: 6-2WT: 190POS: PG
Rozier was the top-rated prospect to play 5-on-5 at the combine and played very well. He's a combo guard, but given his toughness and defense, he should find a home, and the Nets are as good a place as any for him to land. Deron Williams has two years left on his deal, and Jarrett Jack has one, but neither are the long-term future of the franchise. Jarell Martin and Cliff Alexander are other prospects who could fit long-term in Brooklyn.
PLAYER CARD
30Michael Frazier IIGolden State WarriorsCOLLEGE: FloridaHT: 6-5WT: 199POS: SG
The Warriors always are looking for shooting, especially coming off the bench. Frazier was one of the top performers at the combine and for three straight seasons shot the lights out at Florida. With time, he could develop into an important player coming off the bench for the Warriors.
PLAYER CARD

« Reply #52 on: May 20, 2015, 09:52:51 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I would be happy with Looney and McCullough, two guys with a lot of upside. In this scenario we would probably be able to get Upshaw with the Sixers pick.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #53 on: May 20, 2015, 10:05:49 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Say no to McCullough.  Just don't draft Syracuse guys.  Don't do it.

The track record for NBA success simply isn't there with guys from that program.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #54 on: May 20, 2015, 10:16:34 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I wouldn't be happy with either pick, but what do I know?

Oubre, Portis, RHJ, and Harrell are all more appealing to me - also, Upshaw, but am hoping for him with #28. Please let Dekker go before us so Ainge is tempted in the least - I definitely like Looney more.

« Reply #55 on: May 20, 2015, 10:48:53 AM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

If the draft played out this way, I would happily select Oubre and ignore Looney. I would also certainly take Upshaw with the second pick if he's on the board. I would actually prefer to move up in the latter part of the draft in order to pick Harrell or Hollis-Jefferson, though.

« Reply #56 on: May 20, 2015, 11:11:00 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Looney will be a bust imo. Just too passive

Mcullough , Mickey and Upshaw are the three I want and feel is good for the team

Eventually the lineup

Upshaw
Sullinger
Mcullough
AB
Smart

KO
mickey
Crowder
Young
IT

« Reply #57 on: May 20, 2015, 11:20:35 AM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

Upshaw
Sullinger
Mcullough
AB
Smart

KO
mickey
Crowder
Young
IT

Does that team remind anyone else of the circa 2008 New York Knicks?

« Reply #58 on: May 20, 2015, 11:23:34 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Upshaw
Sullinger
Mcullough
AB
Smart

KO
mickey
Crowder
Young
IT

Does that team remind anyone else of the circa 2008 New York Knicks?

No. List me one decent rim protector that knicks team had.

The lineup i propose above has upshaw, mccullough and mickey to protect the rim around the clock. It makes a big difference

« Reply #59 on: May 20, 2015, 11:41:00 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Looney will be a bust imo. Just too passive

Mcullough , Mickey and Upshaw are the three I want and feel is good for the team

Eventually the lineup

Upshaw
Sullinger
Mcullough
AB
Smart

KO
mickey
Crowder
Young
IT
Looney was a freshman on a solid team, and still took 9 shots a game. I think it's more that he's young and learning to play than he is passive. He took more shots per game than Westbrook as a freshman (and only one less than Westbrook did as a soph) and 1.5 shots less than Kevin Love did as a freshman at UCLA.

I doubt McCullough is an sf long term and I highly doubt he ends up being a better prospect than Young.

Mickey and Upshaw would be good picks with 28 and 33
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19