Author Topic: Early FA rumors (Cs and non Cs)  (Read 13753 times)

Re: Early FA rumors (Cs and non Cs)
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2015, 12:57:59 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I think that to sign Lopez, the Bucks would have to let Middleton walk.  I don't think that that will happen.

Depends if the owners are willing to splurge (by Milwaukee's standards) a year before the cap increase.  They're trying to get a new arena, so making a big free agent signing while keeping their own is a good way to show they're investing in the product.  Since Middleton takes up virtually no cap room while he's merely a Bird cap hold, they'll have the room to give Lopez the salary he wants.  It'd push them over the cap, but still under luxury tax probably.  The following year they could easily be back under the salary floor with 11-12 players already on the roster, so it would be just a one-year splurge.

This is pretty much the same approach the rockets took last year when they lost Parsons. An offer sheet is an offer sheet, and if Middleton takes it, Bucks are screwed.

Exactly what I was thinking.
We could easily be in the same predicament if we can't get Crowder to wait on signing a deal

True, though I won't be losing any sleep if we miss out on Crowder or not. I like him, but not the extent everyone does. Love his hustle though, but I think his defense is overrated as well as his offensive contribution. The flexibility he brings to the position, along with the hustle, is the real contribution to this team, and honestly not something I might be will to pay the price for once all is said and done. We'll have to see.

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2015, 01:04:26 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Crowder is easy to replace. Ainge can likely find comparable player with the #28 or #33 picks.

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2015, 01:19:49 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Crowder is easy to replace. Ainge can likely find comparable player with the #28 or #33 picks.

I disagree. He's a good player and IMO he was part of the reason the C's became competitive. Talent isn't everything, you need the guys that have attitude and bring that lunch pale mentality everyday and Crowder is the leader on the team in that department. He let CBS know he doesn't need to baby these guys anymore and CBS became a better coach over night.

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2015, 01:27:51 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
I think that to sign Lopez, the Bucks would have to let Middleton walk.  I don't think that that will happen.

Depends if the owners are willing to splurge (by Milwaukee's standards) a year before the cap increase.  They're trying to get a new arena, so making a big free agent signing while keeping their own is a good way to show they're investing in the product.  Since Middleton takes up virtually no cap room while he's merely a Bird cap hold, they'll have the room to give Lopez the salary he wants.  It'd push them over the cap, but still under luxury tax probably.  The following year they could easily be back under the salary floor with 11-12 players already on the roster, so it would be just a one-year splurge.

This is pretty much the same approach the rockets took last year when they lost Parsons. An offer sheet is an offer sheet, and if Middleton takes it, Bucks are screwed.

Exactly what I was thinking.
We could easily be in the same predicament if we can't get Crowder to wait on signing a deal

True, though I won't be losing any sleep if we miss out on Crowder or not. I like him, but not the extent everyone does. Love his hustle though, but I think his defense is overrated as well as his offensive contribution. The flexibility he brings to the position, along with the hustle, is the real contribution to this team, and honestly not something I might be will to pay the price for once all is said and done. We'll have to see.

Crowder exceeded mine and most people's expectations down the stretch during the playoff push but I'm not interested in overpaying for him out of an emotional attachment. Definetly thought his defense was overrated. Sure he tried hard, but who did he stop?

Although admitedly if he had a defensive presence at the rim behind him... that stout d on Lebron he was playing might have been more effective.

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2015, 01:45:44 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I've been all over the "throw the franchise" at Deandre Jordan and build around him thought, but after listening to Sirius XM the other day, the host said he's not the guy to build around but to add to as a third.  Interesting hearing that and made me rethink.  I guess now I'd go after Cousins or Noel via trade.

I would read too much into what some hack says on Sirius XM. Jordan is exactly the type of guy you build a team around (7 foot defensive center, free throw shooting and all). Also a guy like Noel is not even in Jordan's league.

« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2015, 05:51:20 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
I've been all over the "throw the franchise" at Deandre Jordan and build around him thought, but after listening to Sirius XM the other day, the host said he's not the guy to build around but to add to as a third.  Interesting hearing that and made me rethink.  I guess now I'd go after Cousins or Noel via trade.

I would read too much into what some hack says on Sirius XM. Jordan is exactly the type of guy you build a team around (7 foot defensive center, free throw shooting and all). Also a guy like Noel is not even in Jordan's league.

Some hack?  I guess people on this board or Woj are the only ones who are qualified to talk NBA or Celtics.  Wow.  Well, according to this hack, BTW it was Justine Termine, the Clippers don't run their offense through Jordan.  He also made note of the poor free throw shooting.  He said that it makes sense for the Clippers to throw a Max his way, but not every team.

This is a quote from an article about Justin.  It's a couple of years old. 

"Right now, Termine, a Middletown native, is the host of a national NBA program called "Off the Dribble" on Sirius 92 XM 208 radio Monday through Friday from noon to 2 p.m. He interviews the big guys, has contacts throughout the NBA and is finally living the dream."

He has since moved on to the 3:00PM slot (one of the prime slots) to host NBA Today.

I'll say he's doing pretty well.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2015, 07:33:03 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

Some hack?  I guess people on this board or Woj are the only ones who are qualified to talk NBA or Celtics.  Wow.  Well, according to this hack, BTW it was Justine Termine, the Clippers don't run their offense through Jordan.  He also made note of the poor free throw shooting.  He said that it makes sense for the Clippers to throw a Max his way, but not every team.

This is a quote from an article about Justin.  It's a couple of years old. 

"Right now, Termine, a Middletown native, is the host of a national NBA program called "Off the Dribble" on Sirius 92 XM 208 radio Monday through Friday from noon to 2 p.m. He interviews the big guys, has contacts throughout the NBA and is finally living the dream."

He has since moved on to the 3:00PM slot (one of the prime slots) to host NBA Today.

I'll say he's doing pretty well.

The point I was trying to make is regardless of what this guy says about Deandre Jordan, he's the best free agent center on the market and we DESPERATELY need a center. So, regardless of his "opinion" that another team shouldn't offer Jordan the max, the Celts definitely should because Jordan fills a need and we don't have a player like Jordan on our team.

Despite his free throw shooting woes, Jordan is arguably the best defensive big man in the league

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2015, 08:00:29 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54

Is DeAndre Jordan really that much better than Robin Lopez?  Especially when you factor in the contract both will get this summer, is Jordan worth the extra money he will get over Lopez?
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2015, 08:23:41 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Healthwise he is and that has been the case thus far.

« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2015, 08:34:04 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

Is DeAndre Jordan really that much better than Robin Lopez?  Especially when you factor in the contract both will get this summer, is Jordan worth the extra money he will get over Lopez?

I think so. Not that I would mind Robin Lopez. But Lopez is decent while Jordan is a superstar caliber center because of his athleticism, defense and shot blocking.

« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2015, 08:35:51 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568

I think this is a legit question.

I get a little queasy when I think of Deandre making over $20mill/season and you can't play him in close games.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2015, 09:11:51 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton

I think so. Not that I would mind Robin Lopez. But Lopez is decent while Jordan is a superstar caliber center because of his athleticism, defense and shot blocking.

Lopez provides similar skills at a lower cost.  It would allow the Celtics to use their max to fill another need while getting similar production to what they would get from their max if they used it on Jordan. 

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2015, 09:27:47 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804

Lopez provides similar skills at a lower cost.  It would allow the Celtics to use their max to fill another need while getting similar production to what they would get from their max if they used it on Jordan.

It would be similar except that DJ actually plays while Brook gives half a season at best. I'd take both but I'm going with DJ b/c of defense, rb, health.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2015, 09:53:34 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

It would be similar except that DJ actually plays while Brook gives half a season at best. I'd take both but I'm going with DJ b/c of defense, rb, health.
The  Lopez mentioned here is meant to be Robin Lopez (he of slightly less injury woes). A good defender and not a huge hole on offense. Rebounding numbers dont look great.

But in 2014 when healthy all year he had 11 points 9 boards and 1.7 blocks a game.

I think hes a nice complementary defensive big if we are able to get a stud or two in FA/trade

Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2015, 10:43:09 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton

Nobody is talking about Brook