Author Topic: Early FA rumors (Cs and non Cs)  (Read 13740 times)

Early FA rumors (Cs and non Cs)
« on: May 12, 2015, 08:09:45 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
Wanted to start a thread after reading this little article.

http://hoopshype.com/rumors/r/5TRN/brook-lopez-eyeing-milwaukee

Mentions B Lopez may want to go to the Bucks, money talks but man would this help the Cs 2016 draft. Lopez if healthy would be great fit with Bucks.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

Re: Early FA rumors (Cs and non Cs)
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2015, 08:15:45 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I think that to sign Lopez, the Bucks would have to let Middleton walk.  I don't think that that will happen.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2015, 08:35:24 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I think that to sign Lopez, the Bucks would have to let Middleton walk.  I don't think that that will happen.

Depends if the owners are willing to splurge (by Milwaukee's standards) a year before the cap increase.  They're trying to get a new arena, so making a big free agent signing while keeping their own is a good way to show they're investing in the product.  Since Middleton takes up virtually no cap room while he's merely a Bird cap hold, they'll have the room to give Lopez the salary he wants.  It'd push them over the cap, but still under luxury tax probably.  The following year they could easily be back under the salary floor with 11-12 players already on the roster, so it would be just a one-year splurge.

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2015, 08:37:17 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Depends if the owners are willing to splurge (by Milwaukee's standards) a year before the cap increase.  They're trying to get a new arena, so making a big free agent signing while keeping their own is a good way to show they're investing in the product.  Since Middleton takes up virtually no cap room while he's merely a Bird cap hold, they'll have the room to give Lopez the salary he wants.  It'd push them over the cap, but still under luxury tax probably.  The following year they could easily be back under the salary floor with 11-12 players already on the roster, so it would be just a one-year splurge.

Ah, good point.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2015, 08:48:36 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.

saltlover could you help me out with your expertise on the cap?
my question/scenario is at the bottom of page 2 of the following thread...wondering if it's actually possible...TP's in advance. If you couldn't be bothered I understand.

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=78048.15
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2015, 09:27:27 AM »

Online heyvik

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 75
on another note - would absolutely love this for the C's pick next year. If B Lopez leaves the Nets, that's GREAT for our (via Brk Nets) draft pick!

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2015, 09:39:22 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

saltlover could you help me out with your expertise on the cap?
my question/scenario is at the bottom of page 2 of the following thread...wondering if it's actually possible...TP's in advance. If you couldn't be bothered I understand.

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=78048.15

Didn't notice the shout out in that thread.  A reply is posted.

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2015, 09:45:16 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2015, 09:51:22 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

This is pretty much the same approach the rockets took last year when they lost Parsons. An offer sheet is an offer sheet, and if Middleton takes it, Bucks are screwed.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2015, 11:29:56 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!

This is pretty much the same approach the rockets took last year when they lost Parsons. An offer sheet is an offer sheet, and if Middleton takes it, Bucks are screwed.

Houston would have matched if bosh or melo signed and took the space. They didn't and Houston didn't want parsons to take the space. They wanted the space and the flexibility. They'll go after Aldridge this year as a result.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2015, 11:33:59 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349

Houston would have matched if bosh or melo signed and took the space. They didn't and Houston didn't want parsons to take the space. They wanted the space and the flexibility. They'll go after Aldridge this year as a result.

I thought the Rockets' subsequent signing of Ariza took away their cap flexibility this offseason?

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2015, 11:42:55 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!

I thought the Rockets' subsequent signing of Ariza took away their cap flexibility this offseason?

That only took like 8 mill. Some guys like terry came off the books. Houston technically couldn't outright sign LA but a sign and trade centered around Terrance jones and the Pelicans pick will be talked about I'm sure. Portland would definitely like to get something for him if he indeed wants to go to Texas. Houston could easily ship out the guys they need to in order to make room.

Gotta think brewer opts out and papa will not have his option picked up. DMo could easily be used in any deal.

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/houston.htm
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 11:52:49 PM by Kane3387 »

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2015, 12:15:14 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
I've been all over the "throw the franchise" at Deandre Jordan and build around him thought, but after listening to Sirius XM the other day, the host said he's not the guy to build around but to add to as a third.  Interesting hearing that and made me rethink.  I guess now I'd go after Cousins or Noel via trade.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2015, 12:37:25 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

Exactly what I was thinking.

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2015, 12:52:03 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

Exactly what I was thinking.
We could easily be in the same predicament if we can't get Crowder to wait on signing a deal
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19