Author Topic: Sherrod Blakely- C's to put a package deal for Aldridge and Matthews  (Read 51284 times)

Re: Sherrod Blakely- C's to put a package deal for Aldridge and Matthews
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2015, 07:46:42 PM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123
Couldn't we just make them both offers in FA(I guess having a wallace trade on standby to make the necessary room)? Or is the thinking that LMA can get more years and money by doing a sign and trade? I thought the rules changed a bit making the sign and trade less beneficial.

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2015, 07:51:07 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Couldn't we just make them both offers in FA(I guess having a wallace trade on standby to make the necessary room)? Or is the thinking that LMA can get more years and money by doing a sign and trade? I thought the rules changed a bit making the sign and trade less beneficial.

No incentive to do a S&T for us or Aldridge.

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2015, 07:52:11 PM »

Offline DKClassic

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 177
Blakely? Well let's temper our expectations. Though I would love Wes Matthews.
To be precise, he says there is a 35.4% chance of this happening. Which means 64.6% this is not happening, therefore it is not happening.
No need for math, the correct explanation to use nowadays is "more probable than not".

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2015, 07:57:30 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 553
We won't have the cap space to sign both as free agents.  Wallace would need to be moved to a team like Philly to free up enough cap space to do so.  The advantage of a sign and trade with Portland is we'd still have cap space to sign another significant free agent. 

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2015, 08:22:33 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
We won't have the cap space to sign both as free agents.  Wallace would need to be moved to a team like Philly to free up enough cap space to do so.  The advantage of a sign and trade with Portland is we'd still have cap space to sign another significant free agent.
Im curious about this too, could we sign and trade them for say 33 mil between the 2 of them, then still be able to bring back all our restricteds and go after a center and wing with draft picks and TE's

I mean the skeleton of that roster is
Smart Thomas
Matthews Bradley
Turner Crowder
Aldridge Sully KO Jerebko
Zeller

Keep in mind Taj Gibson, Roy Hibbert, Faried, Galinari could all be had for salary dumps.

Its not out of the question that 16 +TE gets you Gibson and 28 + Wallace + ET gets you Hibbert

Then you could package Sully AB and KO to get Stanley Johnson in the draft.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2015, 08:36:01 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
Im curious about this too, could we sign and trade them for say 33 mil between the 2 of them, then still be able to bring back all our restricteds and go after a center and wing with draft picks and TE's

Smart Thomas
Matthews Bradley
Turner Crowder
Zeller

Keep in mind Taj Gibson, Roy Hibbert, Faried, Galinari could all be had for salary dumps.

Its not out of the question that 16 +TE gets you Gibson and 28 + Wallace + ET gets you Hibbert

You really think Indy would take ET back?
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2015, 08:46:25 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Smart Thomas
Matthews Bradley
Turner Crowder
Zeller

You really think Indy would take ET back?
Im not sure. I know Bird thought he could be really succesful in the right situation and I believe Lance Stephenson and Hibbert were the issues with him. Im just trying to get the contracts to align, but you may be right. Would Babb's nongarunteed get it done? Im not sure how close the contracts have to be.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2015, 09:07:20 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Wow, this would be awesome if the Celts could pull this off!

Getting both guys (especially Aldridge) would be HUGE!!

« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2015, 09:09:31 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I'm with Roy -- I don't buy anything Sherrod ever says.  It always comes across like speculation.  Instead of posting his Real GM caliber ideas to a message board, he gets to put it up on the CSNNE website and get paid for doing it.

Really don't think LMA has any interest in signing here.  Portland and San Antonio are his two best options.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2015, 09:54:59 PM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
Why would they leave Portland for Boston?  Especially Aldridge, who would have to take a pay cut?  Makes no sense.

« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2015, 09:57:08 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
LMA isn't coming to BOS, if he does, I will name my first son LeMarcus.  ;)

Either way if Love or LMA/Cousins come to the BOS, I'm naming my first son after name. If more than one join, well... I guess my rule of having one boy, and one girl just went out the window.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2015, 09:57:16 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Why would they leave Portland for Boston?  Especially Aldridge, who would have to take a pay cut?  Makes no sense.

He feels that he is at a crossroads in Portland, and he desires to go back home. I do think he some interest Boston, but it's not his top priority.

« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2015, 10:01:21 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas

He feels that he is at a crossroads in Portland, and he desires to go back home. I do think he some interest Boston, but it's not his top priority.

If LMA really does indeed want to win, going back home isn't the best idea. West is still stacked, and will be stacked for years to come with Durant, Davis, Curry, Harden, and other young superstars still in their prime or entering.

The goals of a championship must weigh heavy on his mind, but if LMA truly desires a ring, then coming to BOS, or the East overall seems like his best bet. The only teams I see as definite contenders right now is Bulls, Wiz, Hawks, Cavs, and possibly the Pacers or Bucks depending on what happens down the road.

BOS isn't too far behind.

I have to believe us bringing in LMA, not only makes us a contender, but will attract the 2nd and 3rd star that wants to play with LMA.

« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2015, 10:17:51 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Does anyone know if we could potentially get 3 'max' level players via trade and free agency?

ie:

-get L Aldridge ($16 million) via trade (send out Wallace $10 million+ Bradley $8 million +Sullinger+picks)

-sign D Jordan as free agent ($20.1 million)

-sign and trade with Milwaukee to bring Khris Middleton here so his salary doesn't take us into the luxury tax? (send IT $7 million+Turner $3.3 million+ resigned Bass at $5 million)

Does something like the above have a *possibility* of working even if highly unlikely?

Saltlover?
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2015, 10:27:31 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
Does anyone know if we could potentially get 3 'max' level players via trade and free agency?

ie:

-get L Aldridge ($16 million) via trade (send out Wallace $10 million+ Bradley $8 million +Sullinger+picks)

-sign D Jordan as free agent ($20.1 million)

-sign and trade with Milwaukee to bring Khris Middleton here so his salary doesn't take us into the luxury tax? (send IT $7 million+Turner $3.3 million+ resigned Bass at $5 million)

Does something like the above have a *possibility* of working even if highly unlikely?

Saltlover?

Right now we have $40,406,846 guaranteed for 9 players next year. http://hoopshype.com/salaries/boston.htm

Additionally cap holds for two first round picks would be held, and most likely qualifiying offers for Jae and Jonas will be sent out. If we do extend the Q/O's, they will take up that much cap space until they both re-sign or sign elsewhere.

Calculating right now the Q/O, and what other team options we have in Pressey/Babb, we will have about 20.90-21.7 in cap space.

Deandre Jordan has been in the NBA for 7 years, originally joining since 2008, and a max contract for him would be 18.7 million.

If we remove Wallace from the equation, we would have about 31.8 million in cap space, depending on what we get back from a trade.

Signing and trading for LMA is possible, although I seriously doubt LMA would take anything under 18 million. Middleton is also possible, but like I said, these scenarios are highly unlikely.

So lets assume we trade Wallace for non-guaranteed contract to the 76ers, and waive the player we receive, with the addition of a pick of course sent over.

We would have 31.8 in cap space available. Sign Jordan for 18 million, then we would have about 15.1 left in cap space, and that isn't taking into account the Q/O's we would have for Jonas Jerebko, Gigi Datome, and Jae Crowder.

___

TL;DR

The scenarios listed are almost impossible to accomplish, but it can still happen. Of course saltlover is the expert on this, so I'll wait for his response.  ::)