Author Topic: Ideas for moving up  (Read 1031 times)

Ideas for moving up
« on: May 08, 2015, 11:50:44 AM »

Offline Bigbrotheryeti

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 0
I know that it seems unlikely that we get the opportunity to move up in the draft, since a lot of the teams in the top 10 or so need a talent upgrade.  I do see an opportunity that we might be able to take advantage of.  What do you guys think of our two first round picks (#16 and #28) and Kelly Olynyk in a trade to Detroit for their pick (#8)?

The Pistons need a floor-spacing 4 to pair with Drummond (since Monroe is on his way out) and they need a great deal of improvement in terms of their 3-point shooting.

Any other ideas for ways we could move up to grab a difference-maker?

Re: Ideas for moving up
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2015, 02:00:57 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 915
Sure, I'd do that one all day and all night.  The Pistons?  Not so sure.

Welcome to the board!

Mike

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2015, 02:58:04 PM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
I was gonna suggest targeting Detroit's pick to get Stanley Johnson.

#8 + expiring contracts (~$2mil), second rounder
for
#16 + #28 + Sully

We can get lucky with our picks for a solid bench player or specialty player but those two players combined will not produce what Johnson can. At least based on potential.

I've wanted Johnson since the start of the season but as his stock slid back later on so did our pick range. Now we can only get him by trying to fleece a Detroit or Charlotte. Please DA, get him!
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2015, 03:29:22 PM »

Offline mahcus smaht

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 4
I was gonna suggest targeting Detroit's pick to get Stanley Johnson.

#8 + expiring contracts (~$2mil), second rounder
for
#16 + #28 + Sully

We can get lucky with our picks for a solid bench player or specialty player but those two players combined will not produce what Johnson can. At least based on potential.

I've wanted Johnson since the start of the season but as his stock slid back later on so did our pick range. Now we can only get him by trying to fleece a Detroit or Charlotte. Please DA, get him!
I dont see Detroit as a tremendous fit because they need a SF badly.

after 1-4 the next group is Winslow, WCS, Hezonja, Prozingis, Johnson, and it looks like Turner might squeeze his way in.

Of that group only WCS and Hezonja are bad fits. The other 4 are not only great fits but great talents. I dont see Detroit passing up an opportunity to get Stanley Johnson to start Tayshaun prince and Quincy Miller

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2015, 04:05:21 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
Looking at the lottery picks this is what I see in terms of the Cs trading up

1. Minn - no way only trading for a super-star which the Cs do not have
2. NYK - no way only trading for a super-star which the Cs do not have
3. 76ers- no way only trading for a star which the Cs do not have
4. LAL - no way only trading for a star which the Cs do not have
5. Magic - no way only trading for a star which the Cs do not have

6. Kings - they have alot of needs and another young player likely isnt the answer. I bet they use their pick to go after Lawson or Lowry.

7. Denver - They need more young talent at positions 1-4 trading down will not help them get it

8. Detroit - they have major holes at the 3 and the 4. Their will be high ceiling players available at their pick to fill either spot. Makes little sense to me for them to trade down.

9. Charlotte - this is a team I can see trading their pick. The have drafted 4/5s in consecutive drafts and have a still very young SF. Unless Hezonja is available I see very few picks who wont be redundant with who they already have. I not sure what they would want coming back in a trade but I think they will at least explore their options. The price will likely be to high for the Cs to more up to #9.

10. Miami - being an older team I suspect Riley will keep the pick and use it to obtain young talent. They may also be a trade target as they may value adding future assets knowing this roster isnt built for the long term. KO or Sully could be in play here as either would work well as the 3rd big with Bosh and Whitside. Mcroberts coming back may complicate this. KO + #16 + mavs 2016 for #10? ( I would only do this is WCS, Hezonja, Johnson or Porzingis slips)

11. Indiana - I expect them to be looking to move. They are in the lottery due to George's injury and now need to rebuild around him. Alot has changed since they where in the playoffs. Stephenson is gone, west is a year older and the team seems to have gone south on Hibbert. Unless they draft a rookie ready to play I see them moving the pick to bring in a young vet. The Cs could try to get involved here but im not sure #11 if really worth trading up to.  ( unless WCS, Hezonja, Johnson or Porzingis slips)

12 - 15 not sure the players available are worth trading up for
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2015, 04:32:34 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
2015 #16 pick, James Young and the 2017 Nets/Celtics pick for Stanley Johnson or WCS.

Otherwise I like the Hollis-Jefferson pick that Chad Ford predicts the Celtics taking at 16.

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2015, 04:48:57 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Give up and sell off every player on he team

Just kidding ;)

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2015, 05:00:43 PM »

Offline Rakulp

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 78
Work something out with the Pacers for their pick and Hibbert?

Depending on the cost, that could help us in two different areas.  Hibbert may not be my first choice, but he would be an improvement wouldn't he?

Rak

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2015, 05:04:57 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
I think Charlotte is the team to target.

#16 and KO is probably what it would take. Something like that...
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.