Author Topic: Bill Simmons Leaving ESPN  (Read 36132 times)

Re: Bill Simmons Leaving ESPN
« Reply #105 on: October 01, 2015, 04:56:30 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
ESPN also proved that the talking head as personality model doesn't make enough money to justify it.

Their most interesting content recently has been generated in that way, though. 

The B.S. Report and TMQ were my two favorite things on ESPN, and now the only writers at ESPN.com that I regularly read are the beat writers for the Boston teams (Edes and Reiss mostly), and Matthew Berry (their big fantasy sports personality / talking head).  The occasional Jackie Mac article, of course, gets read immediately.

I can do with less of the Skip Bayless / Stephen A. / Tony Kornheiser / Mike Wilbon stuff at ESPN, but that seems to be their bread and butter.  More bluster, less substance.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #106 on: October 01, 2015, 04:59:16 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I meant financially.

Incidentally, Jon Gruden is the highest paid on-air ESPN head.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #107 on: October 01, 2015, 05:04:12 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
I meant financially.

I think the whole "cutting the cord" movement has pushed them in that direction, also.  Not just the idea that the "talking head as personality model" doesn't work.  If ESPN wasn't having some financial issues attributable to cord cutting, I still think you'd most of the personalities there (Cowherd, Olberman, maybe still Simmons)

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #108 on: October 01, 2015, 05:12:59 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
what a tool

Care to elaborate?
very toolish to spend your first two shows taking childish and immature shots at not only your former employer but your former coworkers.  Also not the smartest thing in the world for a tv personality to do, making it even more toolish.

I think his target audience wants him to go after ESPN and mainstream sports media as much as Jon Stewart went after Fox News on The Daily Show.  It'd be a betrayal if he didn't take shots at ESPN, but he does need to be either informative or entertaining when he does it.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #109 on: October 01, 2015, 05:20:08 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
what a tool

Care to elaborate?
very toolish to spend your first two shows taking childish and immature shots at not only your former employer but your former coworkers.  Also not the smartest thing in the world for a tv personality to do, making it even more toolish.

I would rather him be honest in his feelings, like Cowherd has been, instead of hide them.

« Reply #110 on: October 01, 2015, 05:25:16 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
I meant financially.

I think the whole "cutting the cord" movement has pushed them in that direction, also.  Not just the idea that the "talking head as personality model" doesn't work.  If ESPN wasn't having some financial issues attributable to cord cutting, I still think you'd most of the personalities there (Cowherd, Olberman, maybe still Simmons)

Sort of. For example, it's not a big secret that Grantland wasn't justifying it's cost (no slight on the writers + editors there, just a fact), and that it was largely being kept afloat because of Simmons's face/association. You see the same thing in a lot of other websites -- Sports on Earth just went through a big purge last year, and Vice Sports is a mess despite having a huge budgetary allowance to make it work -- but I think ESPN genuinely thought that things like Witlock's "Black Grantland" and Grantland proper would monetize the celebrity of their EIC's much more than they did.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #111 on: October 01, 2015, 05:40:23 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be
what a tool

Care to elaborate?

I think his target audience wants him to go after ESPN and mainstream sports media as much as Jon Stewart went after Fox News on The Daily Show.  It'd be a betrayal if he didn't take shots at ESPN, but he does need to be either informative or entertaining when he does it.

Simmons was doing this stuff in his Digital City Boston days in the late 90s.  He was always taking shots at talking heads.  I thought it was great.  Its not a new schtick for Simmons.  He just wasn't allowed to do it much (and certainly against fellow ESPNers) while at ESPN.

I'm glad he's doing it again. 

« Reply #112 on: October 01, 2015, 05:51:59 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
what a tool

Care to elaborate?

Simmons was doing this stuff in his Digital City Boston days in the late 90s.  He was always taking shots at talking heads.  I thought it was great.  Its not a new schtick for Simmons.  He just wasn't allowed to do it much (and certainly against fellow ESPNers) while at ESPN.

There are several zeros at the end of his paycheck that make it a lot more of an act now, though. When your niche is 'everyday sports fan' and you're a millionaire, it's a little harder to swallow cognitively.

Not to begrudge him any success or downplay any of his accomplishments, of course.

« Reply #113 on: October 01, 2015, 06:03:48 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be
what a tool

Care to elaborate?

There are several zeros at the end of his paycheck that make it a lot more of an act now, though. When your niche is 'everyday sports fan' and you're a millionaire, it's a little harder to swallow cognitively.

Not to begrudge him any success or downplay any of his accomplishments, of course.

True.  Just that trashing media is nothing new to Simmons.  Without the chains of the Mouse latched onto him anymore, hopefully we'll see more of it.   I thought it was one of the better things to read back in the DCB days.

« Reply #114 on: October 01, 2015, 06:39:15 PM »

Online knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
I doubt Simmons will bring much nudity to sports, possibly to the chagrin of some members here. So you shouldn't have to worry.

I'm pumped. ESPN carries on as a machine that dumps personalities once they establish too large of a voice and don't simply tow the company mantra. Meanwhile, Bill bypasses Sports Hell AKA Fox and goes somewhere that will let him work unfiltered.

Hilarious.  TP for the laugh.

« Reply #115 on: October 01, 2015, 07:33:34 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Good to have Simmons back

« Reply #116 on: October 01, 2015, 09:31:34 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
what a tool

Care to elaborate?

True.  Just that trashing media is nothing new to Simmons.  Without the chains of the Mouse latched onto him anymore, hopefully we'll see more of it.   I thought it was one of the better things to read back in the DCB days.

I always preferred Simmons as the well-informed but incredibly homer-ish Boston guy who happened to share almost every single sports and cultural experience with me (I grew up in Boston and am exactly the same age), to Simmons the guy who whines about the media.

Of course the whole Pats thing means those two are fairly inter-connected now, but I'd like to see more of the former and less of the latter from him.

« Reply #117 on: October 10, 2015, 02:54:26 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
http://www.complex.com/sports/2015/10/grantland-staffers-resign-bill-simmons

ESPN's recent high turnover rate continues with the resignation of four Grantland staffers. What's more? They're "highly regarded" and are leaving to join Bill Simmons, according to James Andrew Miller. The names of those staffers haven't been revealed.

Interesting.   I'm still a big fan of Simmons and loved Grantland.  Hopefully he builds something even better.

« Reply #118 on: October 10, 2015, 03:09:43 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
http://www.complex.com/sports/2015/10/grantland-staffers-resign-bill-simmons

ESPN's recent high turnover rate continues with the resignation of four Grantland staffers. What's more? They're "highly regarded" and are leaving to join Bill Simmons, according to James Andrew Miller. The names of those staffers haven't been revealed.

Interesting.   I'm still a big fan of Simmons and loved Grantland.  Hopefully he builds something even better.

I was kind of hoping this would happen.

« Reply #119 on: October 10, 2015, 03:43:15 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
I've actually not heard any of his basketball related podcasts. I have listened to the recent one he put out not too long ago; I couldn't bear to keep listening to it past the constant football betting talk and all. Some one please tell me that his basketball related stuff is in a different format.