Author Topic: Bill Simmons Leaving ESPN  (Read 36134 times)

Re: Bill Simmons Leaving ESPN
« Reply #75 on: May 29, 2015, 07:03:15 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
My name is Dub & I successfully kicked ESPN cold-turkey 3months ago.

Pulled the plug and only watch games via free stream, then switched to NBC sports for box scores et al.  Just sick of their insatiable need to storyline everything, so they get no cable dollars or clickys from this NBA fan. 

« Reply #76 on: May 29, 2015, 07:06:51 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Pulled the plug and only watch games via free stream, then switched to NBC sports for box scores et al.  Just sick of their insatiable need to storyline everything, so they get no cable dollars or clickys from this NBA fan.

I watch all the ESPN games on DVR (start about 1-1.5 hrs late, usually catch up late in the 4th if at all).  It is wonderful, especially when I get to zip past their godawful halftime show.  I haven't watched anything else of theirs in probably a decade or so.  I can't really comment on the quality of what I'm not watching but I'm pretty sure I'm not missing out on anything.

« Reply #77 on: May 31, 2015, 12:06:02 AM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
hard to argue with that. tp for being so articulate.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #78 on: June 03, 2015, 11:40:05 AM »

Offline Boston-Attitude

• Open Roster Spot
  • Tommy Points: 2
Come back to Boston <3

« Reply #79 on: June 03, 2015, 11:41:51 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

I watch all the ESPN games on DVR (start about 1-1.5 hrs late, usually catch up late in the 4th if at all).  It is wonderful, especially when I get to zip past their godawful halftime show.  I haven't watched anything else of theirs in probably a decade or so.  I can't really comment on the quality of what I'm not watching but I'm pretty sure I'm not missing out on anything.

I  haven't had cable since I moved to California.

The Internet is very accommodating if you are willing to put up with somewhat grainy streams.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #80 on: June 04, 2015, 08:40:54 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
probably a completely nonsense rumor, but add it to the list of possibilities:  http://tktk.gawker.com/an-interesting-rumor-about-bill-simmons-and-jon-stewart-1709017542

According to a source who spoke with Gawker, Simmons is planning on teaming up with Jon Stewart sometime in the near future and launching an online subscription service of some kind.  The source says that Simmons' plan was revealed during a recent conference call that included executives from TV Land and Viacom. It could be a bunch of BS, but it could also be something that makes a lot of sense, seeing as how both Simmons and Stewart are preparing to be free agents of sorts soon. Gawker also pointed out that they share a manager, which leads us to believe that it might be a stronger rumor than some of the other stuff we've heard.

« Reply #81 on: June 04, 2015, 09:15:51 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
probably a completely nonsense rumor, but add it to the list of possibilities:  http://tktk.gawker.com/an-interesting-rumor-about-bill-simmons-and-jon-stewart-1709017542

According to a source who spoke with Gawker, Simmons is planning on teaming up with Jon Stewart sometime in the near future and launching an online subscription service of some kind.  The source says that Simmons' plan was revealed during a recent conference call that included executives from TV Land and Viacom. It could be a bunch of BS, but it could also be something that makes a lot of sense, seeing as how both Simmons and Stewart are preparing to be free agents of sorts soon. Gawker also pointed out that they share a manager, which leads us to believe that it might be a stronger rumor than some of the other stuff we've heard.

God, I hope not. I'm not paying. Hit me with an ad or 3 and keep it free.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #82 on: June 04, 2015, 10:46:31 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Agree

« Reply #83 on: June 04, 2015, 11:11:09 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

Agree

Stewart and Simmons are like 10 hours a week of entertainment between the two of them. Keep it under $5 a month and I'll take 2.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #84 on: July 22, 2015, 01:06:04 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Weekly Sports Program on HBO starting next year.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #85 on: July 22, 2015, 01:07:26 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Weekly Sports Program on HBO starting next year.

Thumbs up.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #86 on: July 22, 2015, 01:09:36 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I hope his show has more NBA talk than pop culture talk.

Also I didn't see anything about writing in the press release. I hope he doesn't stop writing.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #87 on: July 22, 2015, 01:10:35 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #88 on: July 22, 2015, 01:14:53 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I hope his show has more NBA talk than pop culture talk.

Also I didn't see anything about writing in the press release. I hope he doesn't stop writing.

This post brought to you by 2011.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #89 on: July 22, 2015, 01:37:46 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Article on it:  http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/23/sports/bill-simmons-to-join-hbo.html

Looks like he'll have an interview show and podcast.  I wonder what kind of venue they will provide him for articles.