Author Topic: Bill Simmons Leaving ESPN  (Read 36311 times)

Re: Bill Simmons Leaving ESPN
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2015, 09:40:01 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
I'll miss this spectacular Boston fan from ESPN. He had some questionable discussions, but for the most part I liked his Celtics-cheering pride.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2015, 09:47:26 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I wonder how much it is killing SImmons to not be writing/tweeting about the last few days of NBA basketball... Rose, Truth, Pierce... nasty.

« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2015, 09:49:12 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I'll miss this spectacular Boston fan from ESPN. He had some questionable discussions, but for the most part I liked his Celtics-cheering pride.
He's still a MASSIVE Boston homer.  I don't get why some around here think he isn't.  To people outside of Boston fandom, they actually get pretty annoyed by how often he talks about irrelevant teams like the Celtics.

« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2015, 10:04:12 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
You know what? Forget my earlier post. I was just reminded why Bill Simmons is my favorite NBA writer and why I always read his articles, no matter how bad or off-kilter.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-tim-duncan-question/

Art, ladies and gentlemen. Pure art.

« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2015, 10:23:56 AM »

Offline mkogav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 537
For those still doubting Simmons impact:

How Bill Simmons Changed How We Teach Sports Journalism

Mk

Sickness, insanity and death were the angels that surrounded my cradle and they have followed me throughout my life - Edvard Munch

DKC Knicks

« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2015, 10:32:07 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I would agree with this:
. Can he write like Cramer or Thompson? Of course not. Is he on-air smooth like Olbermann and Patrick? Hardly. Will he be coding for Major League Baseball Advanced Media anytime soon? No.

But Simmons did take wild advantage of his own ingenuity, ESPN’s global reach, and culture’s emerging technologies to become his generation’s preeminent sports journalist. Not its best, not its most talented, not its wisest … but certainly its most visible (and one of its wealthiest).

I really think someone should pay him a bunch of money to go the Marc Maron route and continue on with the B.S. Report (although I believe ESPN owns the name). Dude is a legitimately great sports podcaster.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2015, 10:34:53 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be

Mk

I read the Kevin Draper Deadspin article yesterday. I was actually shocked about how many less viewers Grantland has relative to SB Nation & Deadspin.   

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2015, 10:56:30 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Mk

I read the Kevin Draper Deadspin article yesterday. I was actually shocked about how many less viewers Grantland has relative to SB Nation & Deadspin.

Grantland articles tend to have some substance and require you to spend more than 3 minutes in order to read them, so it's not surprising to me.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2015, 11:00:08 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be

Mk

Grantland articles tend to have some substance and require you to spend more than 3 minutes in order to read them, so it's not surprising to me.

But they also have the backing of Disney/ESPN to help drive traffic to that site.  The fact that they are pulling in less than half the traffic of SB Nation & are millions behind Deadspin (per the Feb & Mar numbers in the Draper article) surprised the heck out of me given who is backing Grantland. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2015, 11:00:25 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell

Mk

Is this an Ironic Post? My Alannis Morrissette cassette is broken so I can't cross-reference.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2015, 11:01:44 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
I would agree with this:
. Can he write like Cramer or Thompson? Of course not. Is he on-air smooth like Olbermann and Patrick? Hardly. Will he be coding for Major League Baseball Advanced Media anytime soon? No.

But Simmons did take wild advantage of his own ingenuity, ESPN’s global reach, and culture’s emerging technologies to become his generation’s preeminent sports journalist. Not its best, not its most talented, not its wisest … but certainly its most visible (and one of its wealthiest).

I really think someone should pay him a bunch of money to go the Marc Maron route and continue on with the B.S. Report (although I believe ESPN owns the name). Dude is a legitimately great sports podcaster.

Agreed, I enjoy listening to Simmons on his podcast far more than I enjoy reading him.  He doesn't often write anything all that great these days, though some of his guys on Grantland write some pretty great stuff (Zach Lowe really stands out, for example).

The thing that has made Simmons famous has always been the thing that also draws many people's ire -- he doesn't look or sound the part.  He doesn't look or sound like an Olbermann or Patrick, or write like Peter King or even Rick Reilly.

Simmons's appeal is that he seems like a normal guy, a fan "like you or me," only with an Encyclopedic knowledge of sports history and popular culture, and an outstanding ability to weave the two together.  He also is clearly very good at making contacts in the business and leveraging them to garner information, quotes, and interviews.

He writes and sounds the way he does because that's what helps him stand out, and makes him more accessible to a broader audience.  ESPN would be better if more of their content were generated by people like that.  Less focus on looking or sounding the part, and more focus on knowledge and genuine enthusiasm, an ability to relate to the average consumer.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2015, 11:06:23 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
I kind of agree with that, although I don't think Simmons writes badly on purpose -- I think he writes badly because he's never really been in a position where he's had to deal with a hardline editor, and because he's not a Great Writer, if you know what I mean.

He is/was certainly my favorite ESPN personality outside of Jackie Mack (who totally blows him out of the water as far as words-on-paper go), but that's probably some bias based on our/their favored teams. I hate podcasts, but I look forward to seeing him succeed.

« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2015, 11:06:43 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

Mk

Is this an Ironic Post? My Alannis Morrissette cassette is broken so I can't cross-reference.

A little tooooo ironic, and yeah I really do think.

It's like raaaaaaaiiiiinnnnnnnn ....

Seriously, though, Grantland articles, even the excessively long mailbags by Bill, have freakin' footnotes (margin notes, or whatever). 

Stuff by Zach Lowe, Andrew Sharp, Bill Barnwell ... all much more in depth and technical than you'll find in your average SBNation / Deadspin article.  It's targeted for the more hardcore sports fan. 

They have casual content on the site, too, like the "NBA Shootaround" type stuff.  But the core of the site is more meaty than that.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2015, 11:13:11 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
I don't agree with that assessment at all (save Lowe and Barnwell, but Sharp, really?), perhaps I'm being too optimistic with my view of the average sports fan. They're certainly reaching for people who are more engaged than the ESPN crowd.

Charles P. Pierce is still the best writer on that site (as I'm sure I've said before on here).

« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2015, 11:15:28 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I would agree with this:

Ideally, this is the way to go. He needs to be somewhere where they laugh at his jokes, make him feel cool, and let him do podcasts and documentaries. I personally enjoy his writing, but I'll also readily admit I skip about 20% of each article. I just hope wherever he is...

Okay, look, I just got bored. This would've been the place where I skipped to the next paragraph.

Here is a great question for people who are weird:

Is this the beginning, middle, or end of Bill Simmons's hero's journey? Is this the the place where he is a place of comfort but finds his life needing more (somehow forcing him to go out and find it) or is this the place where he's already searched out what he wanted, gotten it, and is about to pay the price by developing a massive drug and gambling addiction with Cousin Sal, then falling out of favor with all the institutions that matter, only to end up back in New England, writing on a new blog trying to redefine himself?

I don't know but I'm excited to find out.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner