Author Topic: Bill Simmons Leaving ESPN  (Read 36240 times)

Re: Bill Simmons Leaving ESPN
« Reply #135 on: October 30, 2015, 03:44:02 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
I feel kind of bad because at its best Grantland was truly excellent. Recently though it basically became just the place I could find Zach Lowe content (not that he was the only good one left, just the only one I followed regularly).

I hope Simmons finds a way to re-create Grantland somewhere else. He has a few people together already and I'm sure he can poach more after his other projects gain momentum.

« Reply #136 on: October 30, 2015, 03:52:08 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

Agree with the Grantland appreciation.

I really love shootaround. I love every Lowe column. Andrew Sharp's #hotsportstakes.
Charlie Pierce.

I'm not very into TV or football, but Greenwald-Ryan and Mays-Barnwell have such good chemistry that sometimes I listen to their podcasts anyway.

I'm really sad to see it go. It was a billion times more fun than anything on ESPN.

« Reply #137 on: October 30, 2015, 03:52:35 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I will be paying keen attention to where Zach Lowe and Bill Barnwell, among a few others, end up. 

Lowe Post was the best basketball podcast out there.  Bill Simmons's new podcast, so far, is mostly an in-depth discussion on betting lines with his buddies.  Not super interesting.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #138 on: October 30, 2015, 04:00:42 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
I will be paying keen attention to where Zach Lowe and Bill Barnwell, among a few others, end up. 

Lowe Post was the best basketball podcast out there.  Bill Simmons's new podcast, so far, is mostly an in-depth discussion on betting lines with his buddies.  Not super interesting.

You mean you aren't fascinated with how home dogs in their alternate jerseys are 11-2 against odd-numbered spreads in Thursday night games?

« Reply #139 on: October 30, 2015, 04:01:12 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Apparently ESPN is honoring the contracts of people still at grantland and they will just write for espn.

Zach Lowe is the best basketball writer there is, I wish he would have gone somewhere else. After deflategate and now this I'd rather not give their online site my traffic.
Yeah, they have a much worse designed website now as well. I'm sure its optimized to be more like facebook but I just avoid it. It doesn't even give me the scores of sports as easily. Pushes all sorts of irrelevant stuff they are promoting alongside playoff scores.

Combine that with 538 being an awful disappointment and ESPN doesn't have much other than live rights that I use anymore. Pretty much only go their for a fantasy league that uses their platform.
weird I have all the scores at the top of my page.  actually easier to find and see them
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #140 on: October 30, 2015, 04:05:15 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291

I'm not a big fan of the football betting podcasts either, but they were always a part of the BS Report throughout the NFL season. I'm sure the content will branch out as time goes on. Sounds like Bill is busy getting the tv show ready.

« Reply #141 on: February 17, 2016, 10:06:36 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team