Author Topic: My Cousins trade idea  (Read 7385 times)

Re: My Cousins trade idea
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2015, 11:28:38 PM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123
It's not just about how valuable the assets are, it's also about what the Kings want. The Kings want a PG.

How do you know that?

They were (stupidly) interested in trading for Deron Williams. They were also named as a team with interest in trading for Rondo when he was still in Boston.

Yes, but what the Kings want changes if they decide to trade DMC. They were interested in Williams and Rondo to put with Cousins. If they at some point decide to trade DMC they are probably going to tank and might value picks over wins now which Smart might give them. And if they are taking a long term approach they might not even be good in time to keep Smart. Maybe wishful thinking on my part but I don't think you have to look at it as trying to make the vale even. For example why would Sac want Sully? He would leave them in a year or they would over pay. We can give them 2 or 3 years worth of rebuilding in future picks.

I don't think that is the direction George Karl would want, I think in the off chance Cousins is dealt it would be for pieces who could theoretically help the team now

How would they get better w/o Cousins? Obviously its not what Karl wants, but getting DMC at all depends on things not working out n Sactown.

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2015, 12:08:58 AM »

Offline Bosstown

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 32
The more and more I think about it, I fear that the Knicks win the lottery and flip the #1 for cousins....the nba would have NYC buzzing again and we'd be screwed :(

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2015, 02:24:09 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
The more and more I think about it, I fear that the Knicks win the lottery and flip the #1 for cousins....the nba would have NYC buzzing again and we'd be screwed :(
would make some sense for them.  They add Cousins with Melo and use the max cap room to sign a 3rd star they'll be in business. 

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2015, 09:24:49 AM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
would make some sense for them.  They add Cousins with Melo and use the max cap room to sign a 3rd star they'll be in business.
I think you are right on this too. We need to worry about getting the best player in the draft.

Another idea is to use Denver in a three way to get some of karl's old players to the kings and maybe get DMC that way.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2015, 11:19:19 PM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123

Yeah, NYK have the potential to make some big moves. Hopefully they will again screw it up somehow. 

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2015, 11:27:48 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Yeah, NYK have the potential to make some big moves. Hopefully they will again screw it up somehow.
Overpaying rondo would be totally in character for that organization.  We will see what Phil does though.

« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2015, 11:57:40 PM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
Not enough for Cousins IMO.  A young big who is a double double machine and signed reasonably.  The Wolves got more than that for Love...

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2015, 11:47:30 PM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
Maybe just maybe (but probably not) we will stop getting "realistic Cousins trade ideas.  Here's what Vlade Divac the Kings President of said.

"Kings president of basketball and franchise operations Vlade Divac further stamped out DeMarcus Cousins trade rumors today, calling him “untradeable” and someone he wants to build around in an appearance on SiriusXM NBA Radio (Twitter link). Divac made it clear last month that he intends to keep Cousins in Sacramento for the long term, and the newly minted exec is reportedly in awe of the big man’s talent."

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2015, 11:52:20 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Vlade sold out when he backed down and reported to the Hornets in the trade that sent him east so the Lakers could grab Kobe.

Perhaps you can get Vlade to change his mind with a few packs of Marlboro.

« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2015, 12:07:12 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Maybe just maybe (but probably not) we will stop getting "realistic Cousins trade ideas.  Here's what Vlade Divac the Kings President of said.

"Kings president of basketball and franchise operations Vlade Divac further stamped out DeMarcus Cousins trade rumors today, calling him “untradeable” and someone he wants to build around in an appearance on SiriusXM NBA Radio (Twitter link). Divac made it clear last month that he intends to keep Cousins in Sacramento for the long term, and the newly minted exec is reportedly in awe of the big man’s talent."
I wish he had said this a couple months ago.  He would have spared us a hundred pointless threads, even though Divac was just stating the obvious.

« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2015, 12:11:35 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I'm going to predict that (assuming Cousins is made available) it would take an absolute minimum of Sully, Smart and #16 as the starting point for any negotiations. 

I would be very, very surprised if the Kings would consider any deal that didn't include Smart.

I think that in order to actually convince them to pull the trigger, we'd need to sacrifice almost every <25 year old player we have with legit upside.  That probably means something like Zeller,  Sully, Smart, Young, 2015 Celtics pick (#16) and 2016 Brooklyn pick.

Then they MIGHT listen. 

Demarcus Cousins is a franchise player - centers who put up statlines of 24/13/3/1/1 come along once or twice in a generation. The most recent one prior to Cousins was probably Tim Duncan (if you consider him a center) or Shaq.

If you are giving up a player of that talent level, and you aren't getting at least another all-star in return, then you're going to want to take half the team with you.   

« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2015, 12:19:09 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

Don't see how Cousins fits in New York.

He's a...challenging...personality.  New York haven't had the most stable or confidence inspiring coaching and management over the past decade or so.

Carmelo and DeMarcus are both volume scorers who need the ball to be most effective, and neither is the most efficient scorer in the league.  Throw in Melo's selfishness and Cousins' lack of emotional patience, and that pairing sounds like the greatest disaster of the modern era.  I think the Melp+Amare duo was a far safer proposition, and that failed pretty miserably - the team was statistically horrid when those two guys were on the floor together.

The whole reason I see DMC working here is the environment.  Brad Stevens is a guy with a calming demeanor, who is used to working with young and emotional players from college years.    Danny is a top grade GM who is always dedicated to making moves and trying to make the team better.  Ownership have deep pockets and are dedicated to winning.  The players are all support guys with flexible egos who don't need the ball 24-7 to be effective.

It's a perfect fit for a guy like Cousins, I think.  Only other place I can think of is maybe the Spurs, but they probably wouldn't take a chance on a guy like Cousins - then tend to stick to guys who are easy to coach.

« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2015, 01:03:35 PM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton

I wish he had said this a couple months ago.  He would have spared us a hundred pointless threads, even though Divac was just stating the obvious.

He basically did 2 months ago but nobody on here wants to believe it.  This was after he had been with the team only a few weeks....

"Divac: Cousins the best I've seen"

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/12497891/vlade-divac-says-demarcus-cousins-most-talented-big-man-ever-seen

« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2015, 01:08:40 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

He basically did 2 months ago but nobody on here wants to believe it.  This was after he had been with the team only a few weeks....

"Divac: Cousins the best I've seen"

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/12497891/vlade-divac-says-demarcus-cousins-most-talented-big-man-ever-seen

I mentioned it in another thread, so if anyone feels it's stupid or annoying, please give it to me easy :D, and I also apologize in advance if it gets repetitive

I mentioned that, we should throw whatever we have (besides Smart, and hopefully even keep Crowder), players, picks whatever the Kings want for Cousins

then the Kings will use whatever they got from us, and their 6th pick to possibly move up in this current draft, maybe even use their #6 pick + Gay + assets from us to the Lakers for their #2?

« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2015, 01:47:15 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Had Kings scored a top 2 pick I could have seen them trade Cousins but now it's no. They will package Staukas, fillers and the 6th for a very good all-star level player IMO. We may see Raptors and Kings dealing again.