Author Topic: Sacramento Sun Times writer gives trade idea that could get Cousins deal done  (Read 6182 times)

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
So before picks and FA signings we'd have a starting line up of:
It
Turner
Crowder
Oly
Cousins

With young and Zeller off the bench.
That's not very frightening. We would need a pg, big time wing and competent 4.
Maybe we resign bass or Jerebko but we'd need to make a big splash in FA to give this team a  chance.

Very true, but we have so many 'good' players that we need to trade several of them in for one great player (if at all possible). That starting line-up is way better than what we put out on the floor last year, if only because Cousins is ridiculous. The other players who didn't start (IT, KO, Crowder) are all as good as the starters they are replacing...we would just need some bench help.

Offline mahonedog88

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 119
There is no way that package is good enough to get Cousins.

Any package for DMC is going to likely need at least one probable top 5 pick. That is in addition to a high level prospect (i.e. Marcus Smart). I don't we think we have any pick that is likely to be in the top 5, so I don't see Boston as a realistic trade partner with Sacramento.

I kinda see what you're saying, but perhaps Ainge could spin it in that they're getting a virtual top 5 pick in Marcus Smart anyway.  Now I know Smart was #6, but still, a player drafted at #6 is high enough in the draft that you should be expecting a franchise player.  The last two years, the #6 pick was Nerlens Noel and Damian Lillard.  They look like franchise players to me.

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I would not want to part with Smart.

I'd start Bass alongside Demarcus Cousins, if we can get him. Another poster (can't remember who) suggested this and I think it'd be a great idea.

Bass does not need a lot of touches, is a very good defender, has a mid-range J and has playoff experience.

Offline mahonedog88

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 119
I would not want to part with Smart.

I'd start Bass alongside Demarcus Cousins, if we can get him. Another poster (can't remember who) suggested this and I think it'd be a great idea.

Bass does not need a lot of touches, is a very good defender, has a mid-range J and has playoff experience.

Bass was so invisible in the playoffs that it wouldn't surprise me if played himself out of a new deal.  This was one of the only consistent issues I had with Stevens against the Cavs, that he continued to start Bass despite putting up putrid numbers and playing average defense.

I'd have no issue bringing him back, but as long as it would be on short money and in a reserve roll.  Like no more than 15-20 minutes a night.

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I would do that deal in a second.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
I would prefer to find a way to keep Smart, but that deal is a no brainer.

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
The package sounds a bit light to me. That same package could get Love last summer and I don't think Love is in the same category as a two way player like DMC.

There would have to be some sprinkles and jimmys on top to get the conversation started. Getting DMC will not be that simple.

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232
I would exhaust literally every alternative to trading Smart that is possible. If we get Cousins, I really think Smart and Crowder need to be here. They were our emotional leaders last year, they set the tone for the culture we've built, and that kind of attitude and mindset surrounding him would be key to Cousins success in Boston. To get that deal done, I'd switch out Smart for a couple more firsts, James Young, KO, Turner, Zeller or any combination of those. He's the only guy we have that has the potential to be great in his own way. If we cash in most of our assets for Cousins, we need him around.

That said, at the end of the day with a gun to my head, I'd probably trade Smart if it was the only way to get DMC, as long as one or two of the other things included in that deal come off the table. I still have a hard time seeing Ainge pulling a Pitino and trading a good, highly regarded rookie after one year. Especially considering how important Smart was to our success this year.

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Anybody not named Smart is fair game ....to see that the boogie man comes to town  :D

Boogie, Smart and Crowder would be a fearsome trio.   

Bring ol Pierce back ...to keep their motors peaked.

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Hard to part with Smart but I suppose you have to if it's for Cousins. I still think Kings should buyers and use their 6th pick for good player/s.

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2932
I'll just stick with the theme here and say I would REALLY like to not have to part with Smart in any deal, but if it nabs us Cousins I guess I'd take it. I'd really push for that Brooklyn pick to be either in 2018 or our pick in 2017 that we can switch with Brooklyn. That pick next year has some serious potential.

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Any package for DMC is going to likely need at least one probable top 5 pick. That is in addition to a high level prospect (i.e. Marcus Smart). I don't we think we have any pick that is likely to be in the top 5, so I don't see Boston as a realistic trade partner with Sacramento.
It's not a bad package.  If Cousins demands a trade and is only willing to go to a couple teams (Boston included), that deal could possibly happen. 

The Kevin Love deal was unprecedented.  Just completely crazy-town.  Under normal circumstances, you don't trade a potential superstar #1 pick for an all-star with one year on his contract.  That never happens.  It made some sense in context of LeBron James going to Cleveland, but that in itself is a pretty unprecedented situation.    Look, I'm one of the most blatant pessimists here, but even I know we can't look to that ridiculous Kevin Love trade as setting the market on trading all-stars.    When you get out of crazy-town, the semi-recent hauls received for Melo, Dwight, Chris Paul and James Harden should be looked at. 

The rising cap throws an interesting wrinkle into it, but it really just depends on how big of a stink Cousins throws... if he throws one at all.

I'd like to assume that the Knicks would give up their top 4 pick, but they could just decide to build around youth and trade Melo.  I'd like to assume that Philly would make a compelling offer for Cousins, but they might rather build around the young core they have.  Perhaps the Timberwolves would give up their top 5 pick... but why not just build around Wiggins + Towns/Okafor?   Maybe the Lakers give up Randle or their pick... can't rule that out, but who knows what that team will do.  I'm sure teams would have compelling offers.   Marcus Smart + Bradley + Sully + #16 + #28 + Brooklyn's 2016 1st seems like a nice starting point in an offer that will at least get Sacramento to pick up the phone. 

This does, however, confirm my belief that if Boston has any hope of landing a star this Summer, Marcus Smart is probably the most likely to be traded simply because of the urgency to land star talent and the simple fact that no team in their right mind is trading for a Boston pu-pu crap platter without at least getting Smart.  Smart is a B- asset in a sea of C's and D's.   Gotta give something to get something.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 06:36:57 PM by LarBrd33 »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
What's stopping this deal from being done? ;D

I love Marcus Smart, but I'd trade him in a heartbeat for a top 10 player in the league. We could maybe able to find a guard that would be close to what Smart can do on the court, but we may never be able to get a DeMarcus Cousins, probably for the next decade or so.

Press that yes button, Danny, if this deal arrives at your table.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

Offline celts10

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
Well, if Smart has to go in this package you know who we could bring back this summer, right?  ;D

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2932

It's not a bad package.  If Cousins demands a trade and is only willing to go to a couple teams (Boston included), that deal could possibly happen. 

The Kevin Love deal was unprecedented.  Just completely crazy-town.  Under normal circumstances, you don't trade a potential superstar #1 pick for an all-star with one year on his contract.  That never happens.  It made some sense in context of LeBron James going to Cleveland, but that in itself is a pretty unprecedented situation.    Look, I'm one of the most blatant pessimists here, but even I know we can't look to that ridiculous Kevin Love trade as setting the market on trading all-stars.    When you get out of crazy-town, the semi-recent hauls received for Melo, Dwight, Chris Paul and James Harden should be looked at. 

The rising cap throws an interesting wrinkle into it, but it really just depends on how big of a stink Cousins throws... if he throws one at all.

I'd like to assume that the Knicks would give up their top 4 pick, but they could just decide to build around youth and trade Melo.  I'd like to assume that Philly would make a compelling offer for Cousins, but they might rather build around the young core they have.  Perhaps the Timberwolves would give up their top 5 pick... but why not just build around Wiggins + Towns/Okafor?   Maybe the Lakers give up Randle or their pick... can't rule that out, but who knows what that team will do.  I'm sure teams would have compelling offers.   Marcus Smart + Bradley + Sully + #16 + #28 + Brooklyn's 2016 1st seems like a nice starting point in an offer that will at least get Sacramento to pick up the phone. 

This does, however, confirm my belief that if Boston has any hope of landing a star this Summer, Marcus Smart is probably the most likely to be traded simply because of the urgency to land star talent and the simple fact that no team in their right mind is trading for a Boston pu-pu crap platter without at least getting Smart.  Smart is a B- asset in a sea of C's and D's.   Gotta give something to get something.

I read somewhere yesterday that Phil said he'll only consider trading the pick if it falls to number 5. I'm guessing he's really just blowing smoke, because that doesn't seem to make much sense if he plans on keeping Melo. He ought to keep his pick and trade Melo to LA (if he'd allow it) for their pick this year and get two franchise pieces to rebuild the Knicks with.