Author Topic: james young vs the draft  (Read 4445 times)

james young vs the draft
« on: May 07, 2015, 04:10:01 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
We drafted this guy a year early with the hopes his upside would help us out long term.  I think a lot of fans overrate the draft in this regard though where very few  players come into the league overall and turn entire franchises around.  There are tim Duncan,s and kobe's and guys like Lebron but there are maybe a handful and not all of them are lottery picks either.

What I'm saying is players like Wiggins and parker didn't exactly turn their franchises around.  Young we got later in the draft because of upside potential and he hasn't really had a chance to show it yet.

Are Stanley Johnson and Oubre better prospects than Young? Probably.  They have more complete games right now.  Young is athletic but doesn't really create at all right now and even in college he was a  player with streaky shooting and athleticicm and not really an all around game.   

I've always kind of seen him like josh howard in ways because of his draft position but who knows if he will even be that.

If we try to get up in the draft it's most likely going to be more a guy like Sj or Oubre or one of the bigs like Stein.  There are some good teams to target around then too.  Detroit has the 8th pick and Monroe.  But these are pipe dreams.  Sac and Cousins etc..  Denver with Lawson.  These are the rumors where we can possibly swap picks but why would those teams do that? 

Marcus is a special player and youth will help but we have to temper our expectations here a bit.

We have Crowder too and really should re-up him imo.

Re: james young vs the draft
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2015, 04:44:34 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
What i'm saying is I'd feel comfortable standing pat and trying to get a guy like Myles Turner. Then praying for a guy like Love and keeping our picks down the road to make a move.  Turner is a really good rebounder and at controlling the glass with technique and it's what we need as far as a rim protector. Some of these other small forwards and centers are nice though.  We should be able to get someone.

Shhhh though.  Turner is the steal of this draft.  Players like Sj, Looney and Oubre aren't going to be huge bumps in production over Young and Crowder.   That's who we'd be targeting in the draft or guys like Stein or Kaminsky.

Stanley Johnson is worth moving up for and is a better talent than Young.  Oubre is a nice player who should have stayed in school.  Looney's upside is not that high but nice player. outside of Johnson I don't see much reason to move up unless we are targeting the top picks or Stein.

I'm not all that impressed with these guys. Sam Decker and Portis might be better picks.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 06:59:03 AM by walker834 »

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2015, 10:02:20 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
I like Miles Turner too, what scares me a bit, is that odd gate to his run. His knee's knock together when he runs, he takes many small steps, it almost looks like a slight limp, it's not pretty to look at. I am suspicious that over a few years of grueling NBA seasons he will have hip, and back problems.

Other than that he has a ton of up side to his game. He 6'-11", 245 lb. 7-4" wing span, he shoots well from the perimeter, he needs to develop a back to the basket game that will most likely come. He rebounds well, his rim protection is solid.

Is he worth taking a shot at?

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2015, 10:15:43 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I think Young is a pretty similar prospect to Oubre. Similar measurements, similar upside, both are lefties. Oubre is a better athlete, and Young performed well when the lights were brightest.

Young deserves a chance, but he probably won't be ready to really make his mark on the league for a couple more years. Oubre is as raw as Young was when he came out if not more so.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2015, 10:19:01 AM »

Offline Bosstown

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 32
I really don't want to give up on Young yet, and honestly I doubt we can get anything significant for him at this point anyway. He hasn't shown anything in the league yet and he's probably not going to be ready to contribute for another 2 years. So his value can only go up. He's only 19 and he really needs to work on his defense, and hit the weight room. I feel like he could at least be a slightly longer and more athletic Danny Green.

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2015, 10:27:41 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
tbh, I don't mind the James Young pick, but also I think had he stayed in college, we could still pick him with our Clipper's pick

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2015, 10:28:08 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
I like Miles Turner too, what scares me a bit, is that odd gate to his run. His knee's knock together when he runs, he takes many small steps, it almost looks like a slight limp, it's not pretty to look at. I am suspicious that over a few years of grueling NBA seasons he will have hip, and back problems.

Other than that he has a ton of up side to his game. He 6'-11", 245 lb. 7-4" wing span, he shoots well from the perimeter, he needs to develop a back to the basket game that will most likely come. He rebounds well, his rim protection is solid.

Stein definitely seems more fluid as an athlete. Those are good points about Turner though. I hadn't noticed but he doesn't appear to be an elite athlete. He's just wirey.  Reminds me of larry sanders a bit.  I like how good he is on the defensive glass and blocking shots.

Looking at prospects I don't really like Oubre. I like his game but I don't know.  A lot of these guys when you commit to players it's more than just what some scouting report says.

I'd almost rather commit to a guy like Frank Kaminsky if Brad stevens thinks he would fit his system and trade KO but who knows.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 10:38:02 AM by walker834 »

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2015, 10:38:08 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
IF we want to get rid of james young, Oubre would be a more talented replacement probably.  But again we are going back a year for a kid.  We could possibly offer young and our pick to move up a few slots though and take Oubre.

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2015, 11:09:34 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Thing about Young is he is athletic but his D is weak. If you play him like Middleton at SG he could be very good on defense by using his height like Middleton. So selecting a SF could work to Young's benefit. If you land Mario or Booker it makes sense to leave Young at SF. Young gives some flexibility.

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2015, 11:10:50 AM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
I'd swap Young for Oubre in a second. Common misperception is that Young is athletic - he is not. Oubre has a huge edge in terms of both quickness, speed and explosion, so he has far more upside.

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2015, 11:15:39 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I'd swap Young for Oubre in a second. Common misperception is that Young is athletic - he is not. Oubre has a huge edge in terms of both quickness, speed and explosion, so he has far more upside.
You haven't seen Young's dunks in practice sessions or noticed him beat guys to loose balls I take it. Young is athletic.

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2015, 11:26:52 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
I think Young is going to work out for us personally.  He is becoming more fluid.  If you watched any red claws games too.  He can shoot it.

I'm not that high on the draft.  usually there will be a guy who seems to fit the Celtics. Would be nice to add some more dynamic wing players to go with Young and Bradley.

Stein is probably the biggest impact player but he isn't going to be there at our pick.

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2015, 11:29:24 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
You haven't seen Young's dunks in practice sessions or noticed him beat guys to loose balls I take it. Young is athletic.

Strangely enough I'd say Young's athletism is closest to Pierce. He's kind of skinny fat, but is probably stronger than he looks. IMO it takes a great deal of athletism to possess a release as quick as his, he makes shooting 3s look effortless.

All of that being said, still think Oubre will have more ways to score when he develops. Having James Young does not mean we shouldn't draft Oubre if he's the BPA.  Stanley Johnson is a moot point because he's an entirely different type of player entirely. Might as well be comparing James Young to Jerian Grant with that logic.

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2015, 11:35:09 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
I remember how little faith I had the first few times Doc inserted AB into a game .   He was terrible , turrible ,   He could do nothing right ...ever.......then out of no where he comes up with defense stopping ......the shooting skill during a game is recent .

James may take another year or more to get up to speed .  He has the tools .  Just needs the practice , strength , maturity and put it all together.

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2015, 11:41:16 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2929

I was reading the Ford chat wrap yesterday, and he was saying that he's fixed his running since the tournament. I guess he's been working out with some trainers, and they've totally changed his whole running style. Ford thinks that will really raise his stock, and he'll be long gone by the time we pick.