Author Topic: A perfect & realistic (future) free agent no one is talking about: H. Whiteside  (Read 2448 times)

Offline Rida

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 86
Boston Celtics biggest pressing need: Shot blocker, rim protector

Available free agents that suit the bill: Jordan, Gasol, likely hood of leaving 30 million dollars on the table in a max deal= Zero Chance

Aldridge might leave but hes not an elite defensive player that the Celtics need, he would also command max money and would have his pick of San Antonio or Dallas with no state tax.

Why is no one talking about Whiteside for the Celtics?

2.46 Blks per game in his rookie season, a ridiculous 5.17 blks per 48 mins.

He is the elite shot blocker we need and yes he has character issues, but so did Isaiah allegedly and so did Turner.

Plus he won't command max money. If hes available for 10-13.5 Million per year for 3 years, I think its a no brainer.

I would love to see what you guys think, I get that Aldridge, Jordan and Gaol, and even Milsapp are the elite free agent big men, but realistically we don't have a shot at any of those guys.

With Miami likely maxing out Dragic, the Celtics could and should be a contender for Whiteside.

I hope that we make him an offer.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 07:39:11 AM by Roy H. »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Isn't he restricted? 

It's going to be really interesting to see what happens with Whiteside.  People still don't really take him seriously despite the fact he averaged 13.7 points, 11.8 rebounds, 2.5 blocks with 61% shooting in 27.7mpg as a starter... Kind of unreal. 

I think someone gives him max money.

Offline Rida

• Jayson Tatum
He's unrestricted in 2016. He will likely be restricted this off-season

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-heat/sfl-miami-heat-hassan-whiteside-s020315-story.html

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Nice pickup - I didn't even realise his contract was expiring soon.  Would DEFINITELY take a chance on this guy. 

Sure he sounds like a bit of a head case, but he has so much potential that he is unquestionably worth the risk.

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
He's unrestricted in 2016. He will likely be restricted this off-season

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-heat/sfl-miami-heat-hassan-whiteside-s020315-story.html

He's on a 2 year deal and becomes a FA next summer.

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Yeah, he's not a free agent.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline Rida

• Jayson Tatum

Whiteside will be a not free agent, with one more partially guaranteed season left on his contract. He then will become an unrestricted free agent in the 2016 offseason, with the Heat holding no advantage over any other team, other than the right to offer him an Early Bird contract of the NBA's average salary, which clearly will not cut it, based on his current play. Clearly, if the Heat knew in the fall what they know now, they would have structured the contract (had Whiteside consented) differently. The Heat's advantage is building equity with Whiteside and his agent, showing that this is where he has been nurtured and that his best prospects going forward are to remain alongside Goran Dragic (if he is re-signed this summer), Chris Bosh, Josh McRoberts (who does set up as an intriguing complement alongside Whiteside) and possibly Luol Deng and Dwyane Wade. In the end, though, Whiteside could chase the money or the destination of his choice, in what should be a wild 2016 free-agency free-for-all.

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Whiteside will be a not free agent, with one more partially guaranteed season left on his contract. He then will become an unrestricted free agent in the 2016 offseason, with the Heat holding no advantage over any other team, other than the right to offer him an Early Bird contract of the NBA's average salary, which clearly will not cut it, based on his current play. Clearly, if the Heat knew in the fall what they know now, they would have structured the contract (had Whiteside consented) differently. The Heat's advantage is building equity with Whiteside and his agent, showing that this is where he has been nurtured and that his best prospects going forward are to remain alongside Goran Dragic (if he is re-signed this summer), Chris Bosh, Josh McRoberts (who does set up as an intriguing complement alongside Whiteside) and possibly Luol Deng and Dwyane Wade. In the end, though, Whiteside could chase the money or the destination of his choice, in what should be a wild 2016 free-agency free-for-all.

The Heat will also be able to match his contract next season.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Not really sold on him yet..like see what he does with 82 game schedule..
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
Deandre Jordan would probably be the more realistic one that's kind of flying under the radar.  We could offer him the max and the Clippers might not want to  match.

Offline Rida

• Jayson Tatum
yeah its pretty sad that we draft JR Giddens 4 spots ahead of Deandre

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Whiteside? He's a selfish knucklehead. Way overrated.

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
Rather just take a risk and draft Upshaw. At least he wouldn't cost as much.
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

The Heat will also be able to match his contract next season.

They will in that every team will have cap room, but he won't be a restricted free agent (he'll have four years of service time after being a second-round pick).  Regardless, if it's the summer of 2016 and we STILL haven't found any sort of player who resembles a shot-blocking interior defender, I'm not sure I'll still be around to debate offering Whiteside a contract.

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
How about Tim Duncan?  He could finish his career here if the options out there aren't looking too good.