Author Topic: Can we calm down about trading up?  (Read 3734 times)

Can we calm down about trading up?
« on: May 07, 2015, 12:40:11 AM »

Offline alewilliam789

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 76
There is plenty of starting talent at 16.
Pick 16:
We could potentially fill some starting spots with a couple of these players:

Sam Dekker:
I think that he may see a slight drop after workouts and pre draft.
Would fit really well with the Celtics are doing. Reminds me of Chandler Parsons instead of the ridiculous comparisons of Gordan Hayward.

Rodnae-Hollis Jefferson:
I honestly love Hollis-Jefferson because of his defensive abilities and athleticism. He may be raw offensively, but as a slasher he will contribute right away. We've all seen what Stevens and Co. did with Smart's shot. Honestly I think his shot will get better with more reps. At Arizona against lesser athletes he didn't need to develop a jumpshot. His mechanics aren't terrible, but his shot is just raw.  Really reminds me of a Danny pick and one I wouldn't regret.

Justin Anderson:
When I first saw Anderson I wasn't enamored with him, but have warmed up to him as a prospect. What some people don't realize is that Anderson has a similar body and has put up the same stats as the lottery pick Justice Winslow. Of course he's a junior, but I still feel like he should have more intrigue to NBA teams. Anderson has NBA athleticism for sure along with great lateral quicks. Really became a good shooter in this season and put up great % at like 42% from 3. Is a very good defender and is a player that could start right away at SF. Another Danny pick that I wouldn't be surprised if he selected them.

Trade up in the later first from 28 up to 20-24 with our 2nds to select:

RJ Hunter:
He is exactly what the Celtics are looking for. A playmaking SG that can knock down the 3 and hit the mid range shot. Is long, has NBA athleticism, and averaged 19 points per game. Isn't a #1 option, but I think could be a low end #2, and good #3 scoring option for a playoff team. Really underrated in the big picture of the draft because of youth, only a sophomore, and his ability to get buckets. May not be a great defender, but showed that he can stay in front of his man and use his long arms to create turnovers.

If we do end up trading for Lawson I think we will probably end up sending Bradley away and I'm not opposed to it. I think the best realistic case scenario for the Celtics is we trade away Bradley and It for Lawson. Keep our picks. Draft Hollis-Jefferson and then move up for RJ Hunter. Sign Robin Lopez in free agency because there is a very realistic possibility that LA leaves for somewhere else.
Starting lineup:
PG: Ty Lawson
SG: RJ Hunter
SF: Rodnae Hollis-Jefferson
PF: Jared Sullinger
C: Robin Lopez
Definitely a playoff team. Would keep our potential lottery picks from Dallas, Brooklyn, and keep our own. Leave open a good amount of cap space with everyone on semi-friendly contracts so that we could potentially add someone in FA. Move Smart and Turner to the bench where they are better suited.

Re: Can we calm down about trading up?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2015, 12:53:40 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Huge drop after top 9
That Lawson trade is an overpay. That lineup isn't a playoff lineup.

I disagree with this post on so many levels but I'm sure when I post my offseason plans etc you probably think the same way about them.

I'd like to either trade up or out at 16 or take rhj as a 3rd option.
I like Lawson but think we could get him for it and late picks.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2015, 01:05:26 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Honestly, I agree.

Sure the Draft is a nice way to add talent, but people talk about it like it's the only way - it's not. 

Also while the Draft gives you a unique ability to add talent cheaply, there is a reason for that - it's very high risk.  You have to give up more assets for a veteran with the same level of talent, but that's because you're essentially paying for certainty - you already KNOW what the guy can do.

The Draft is a very nice tool for adding talent, especially for a young team, but that doesn't mean that if you fail to ace the draft then you will be stuck in mediocrity forever.  There are many ways to skin a cat, as the saying goes. 

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2015, 01:39:55 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
After seeing that list all I can think is, my goodness C's better trade up.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 03:51:03 AM by Csfan1984 »

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2015, 01:44:40 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
No, we can't.

Firstly, it's fun.
Secondly, this team needs more elite talent, and the higher up you draft, the better the chance you can get it.  Sure, somewhere picked 16-30 this year could make an All-Star game.  But several players from 1-10 should.
Thirdly, we have all sorts of excess draft picks over the coming seasons, and there is literally no way to keep every pick on the roster for multiple seasons.  So it makes every bit of sense for the Celtics to look into turning some of their quantity into higher quality.

Personally, I've wanted Willie Cauley-Stein on the Celtics since January 2014.  So until he's picked by someone else, I'm going to keep hoping we can trade up for him.  Sam Dekker is nice and all, but I'd rather resign Jerebko and trade up for WCS.

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2015, 12:47:39 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
No, we can't.

Firstly, it's fun.

TP for publicly recognizing this fact.

Mike

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2015, 12:51:44 PM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.
There is plenty of starting talent at 16.
Pick 16:
We could potentially fill some starting spots with a couple of these players:

Sam Dekker:
I think that he may see a slight drop after workouts and pre draft.
Would fit really well with the Celtics are doing. Reminds me of Chandler Parsons instead of the ridiculous comparisons of Gordan Hayward.

Rodnae-Hollis Jefferson:
I honestly love Hollis-Jefferson because of his defensive abilities and athleticism. He may be raw offensively, but as a slasher he will contribute right away. We've all seen what Stevens and Co. did with Smart's shot. Honestly I think his shot will get better with more reps. At Arizona against lesser athletes he didn't need to develop a jumpshot. His mechanics aren't terrible, but his shot is just raw.  Really reminds me of a Danny pick and one I wouldn't regret.

Justin Anderson:
When I first saw Anderson I wasn't enamored with him, but have warmed up to him as a prospect. What some people don't realize is that Anderson has a similar body and has put up the same stats as the lottery pick Justice Winslow. Of course he's a junior, but I still feel like he should have more intrigue to NBA teams. Anderson has NBA athleticism for sure along with great lateral quicks. Really became a good shooter in this season and put up great % at like 42% from 3. Is a very good defender and is a player that could start right away at SF. Another Danny pick that I wouldn't be surprised if he selected them.

Trade up in the later first from 28 up to 20-24 with our 2nds to select:

RJ Hunter:
He is exactly what the Celtics are looking for. A playmaking SG that can knock down the 3 and hit the mid range shot. Is long, has NBA athleticism, and averaged 19 points per game. Isn't a #1 option, but I think could be a low end #2, and good #3 scoring option for a playoff team. Really underrated in the big picture of the draft because of youth, only a sophomore, and his ability to get buckets. May not be a great defender, but showed that he can stay in front of his man and use his long arms to create turnovers.

If we do end up trading for Lawson I think we will probably end up sending Bradley away and I'm not opposed to it. I think the best realistic case scenario for the Celtics is we trade away Bradley and It for Lawson. Keep our picks. Draft Hollis-Jefferson and then move up for RJ Hunter. Sign Robin Lopez in free agency because there is a very realistic possibility that LA leaves for somewhere else.
Starting lineup:
PG: Ty Lawson
SG: RJ Hunter
SF: Rodnae Hollis-Jefferson
PF: Jared Sullinger
C: Robin Lopez
Definitely a playoff team. Would keep our potential lottery picks from Dallas, Brooklyn, and keep our own. Leave open a good amount of cap space with everyone on semi-friendly contracts so that we could potentially add someone in FA. Move Smart and Turner to the bench where they are better suited.

I applaud the "dare to be different" sentiment but as I said before you can't sign four rookies in one offseason, especially if you want to have a successful one, trading up is a MUST.

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2015, 01:54:30 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
One of the reasons I think we could trade up to 9-12 is because you can sell a team on getting a similar prospect at 16. So no I wouldn't be too upset if we stood pat at 16, the prospect in the range are solid and there's a good chance someone could drop too. Trey Lyles, Kelly Oubre and Kevon Looney have top 9 consideration, and would be good value if they fell to 16.

This is essentially the logic we used to take James Young last year.

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2015, 02:03:57 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Sam dekker adds very little. He is a decent piece for a contending piece. Really like RHJ and Anderson but not 16

At 16 i would reach for Wood and even  Harvry (if he kills the workouts)

Otherwise I try to move up into the top 10 or trade the pick for something else

I like chances of getting a steal or two at 28, 33 better.

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2015, 02:05:05 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
you can't sign four rookies in one offseason,

Relax, I am sure some of them will be D league bound.

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2015, 02:07:49 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Top 10 picks are the easiest way to get affordable high end talent under team control for as many as 8 or 9 years.

Trading up makes a whole lot of sense unless Danny doesn't see any guys with the potential to become above average starters.  Otherwise the Celtics are left trying to trade five nickels for a quarter, or spending the maximum in free agency to get second or third tier players.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2015, 02:13:06 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
DAnny for the 1st time in a while will do a draft and stash with the one of the 2nd round picks. Maybe both picks

Luwawu and De Paula are some really good looking euro prospects

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2015, 03:23:28 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
One of the reasons I think we could trade up to 9-12 is because you can sell a team on getting a similar prospect at 16. So no I wouldn't be too upset if we stood pat at 16, the prospect in the range are solid and there's a good chance someone could drop too. Trey Lyles, Kelly Oubre and Kevon Looney have top 9 consideration, and would be good value if they fell to 16.

This is essentially the logic we used to take James Young last year.

I'm starting to really like Lyles and I do think there's a shot that he falls to us at 16.  Wonder where his draft stock would be if he had started.

Mike

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2015, 03:51:17 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2015, 03:55:55 PM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.
you can't sign four rookies in one offseason,

Relax, I am sure some of them will be D league bound.

You mean like our #17th pick last year?