Author Topic: NBA Regular season deserves its own trophy.  (Read 638 times)

NBA Regular season deserves its own trophy.
« on: May 06, 2015, 11:50:17 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
The endurance and the stamina needed to win games over a longer period and against a wider array of teams requires a different skill set and team composition than what it takes to win a shorter but more rugged playoff competition.

For this reason I believe that the best team in the NBA over the 82 game season is deserving of its own trophy, rings, and accolades. This will definitely give regular season games more urgency and make them more entertaining.

Thoughts?

Re: NBA Regular season deserves its own trophy.
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2015, 12:01:15 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
The endurance and the stamina needed to win games over a longer period and against a wider array of teams requires a different skill set and team composition than what it takes to win a shorter but more rugged playoff competition.

For this reason I believe that the best team in the NBA over the 82 game season is deserving of its own trophy, rings, and accolades. This will definitely give regular season games more urgency and make them more entertaining.

Thoughts?

I'd like to see some other competition-type things, too. I don't know necessarily about a regular season champ, but what about other mid-season regional tournaments to take the place of divisions in the league? For example, each division plays like a round-robin type of tournament with the four top teams advancing to the next round, which would be a single-elimination round with four total games (1 vs 4, 2 vs 3, then the winners play for 1st and 2nd and the losers for 3rd and 4th). With a total of six divisions, each month (November-April) could host a division tournament to break up the monotony of the long season. I also think some type of incentive would be neat to attach to these (lottery odds or playoff seeding perhaps?), though I'm not sure what.

I also want to see those teams not in the playoffs play in a tournament after the season, too, similar to the NIT in college basketball. Perhaps this could play a part in lottery seeding to help stop the tanking plague, too.