Author Topic: If OKC maxes Enes Kanter, can we move on Steven Adams?  (Read 9375 times)

If OKC maxes Enes Kanter, can we move on Steven Adams?
« on: May 06, 2015, 08:01:53 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
I think Adams would be a fantastic fit for this team and with OKC likely committing all that money to Kanter, they could be open to moving Adams.

What would it likely take?
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

Re: If OKC maxes Enes Kanter, can we move on Steven Adams?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 08:05:10 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
The two first round picks this year and another asset. Maybe another first (in 20s).

Maybe Olynyk + #16 if they like Olynyk.
Isaiah Thomas + late first this year. Replacement for Reggie Jackson.

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 08:05:33 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
I think Adams would be a fantastic fit for this team and with OKC likely committing all that money to Kanter, they could be open to moving Adams.

Actually AB would be a really good fit on that team I would think. I'd do AB and #28 for Adams easily.

EDIT: Something like Adams and Novak for Bradley, 28? I think you still need to add around $50k  to make it work.

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 08:07:08 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Hmm, they don't really need to trade him. They still need a good backup center behind Kanter. Preferably a more defensively minded center which is exactly what Steven Adams offers them.

Adams is still on rookie scale contract for another two years. I expect they keep him at least another 12 months and monitor how both Adams + Kanter develop before deciding whether they are willing to pay (or trade) Adams.

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2015, 08:11:05 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
Hmm, they don't really need to trade him. They still need a good backup center behind Kanter. Preferably a more defensively minded center which is exactly what Steven Adams offers them.

Adams is still on rookie scale contract for another two years. I expect they keep him at least another 12 months and monitor how both Adams + Kanter develop before deciding whether they are willing to pay (or trade) Adams.

Yea, they really don't have to but it seems like a waste of resources to have somebody as talented as Adams likely playing under 20 mins a game.

He's strictly a center i believe so it's tough to play him with Kanter and he would lose value the more time that ticks off his rookie contract.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2015, 08:58:28 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I don't see OKC maxing Kanter, although I do see him staying there.  I'd be surprised if they moved Adams (or McGary, who's my preferred target) until the trade deadline, to fill whatever hole may arise in their depth next season.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 09:42:45 PM by saltlover »

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2015, 10:52:53 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182

Yea, they really don't have to but it seems like a waste of resources to have somebody as talented as Adams likely playing under 20 mins a game.

He's strictly a center i believe so it's tough to play him with Kanter and he would lose value the more time that ticks off his rookie contract.

Kanter's literally the worst defensive center in the league, so they absolutely need Adams to provide some defense from the center position as he's the only player on the roster who can do that. Collison's good on defense, but he's largely limited to primarily playing the 4 due to his size. McGary's also undersized and is more offensively-inclined. Ibaka can play the 5 in small-ball lineups, but I imagine they don't want him playing too many minutes (especially as a center) next year given his season-ending knee surgery and the team's general health issues over the past three seasons. Adams isn't a luxury right now, he's a necessity so long as Kanter is such an extreme defensive liability.

Also, I don't know much about Donovan's coaching schemes yet, but I'd be willing to bet that not only will Adams play well over 20 minutes a game, he'll probably split even (or roughly even) minutes with Kanter. That's how Brooks was using the two during the short time that Ibaka, Kanter, and Adams were all healthy simultaneously.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 10:58:05 PM by Endless Paradise »

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2015, 02:37:41 AM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232

Do they need to trade him? No. But he's not vital to their success either. Certainly not untouchable. They have Ibaka, who's one of the best shot-blockers in the league and McGary who's more limited than Adams defensively, but he's certainly no where near as bad as Kanter or KO and has a more polished offensive game. He's getable, just for the right price.

Honestly, I think we have a chance of nabbing him even if Kanter signs elsewhere. It became clear in OKC this year that for one, having an offensively talented big really helps their offense and two, playing ball dominant guards, like Waiters, next to Westbrook and KD just isn't going to work. Maybe Augustin off the bench can work, but not Waiters. Far too reliant on volume scoring and not a good enough creator to be a sixth man.

But y'know who would fit perfectly? Our own Avery Bradley, that's who. I almost hope we trade him there just to shut everyone up who says he isn't a starter on a good team. Regardless of whether or not they re-sign Kanter, I think we can use AB (who the Thunder have always been rumored to really like) as part of a package to bring Adams to us.

So let's say they can't resign Kanter. The Thunder have KD returning next year so they'll obviously be in contention, but they're pick this year is #14, two spots ahead of us. So without Kanter, they need some front-court offense. Well we have that too. A fair deal can be worked out for both sides. If it was me, I'd like something along the lines of...

BOS: Bradley, Olynyk OR Zeller, 16 and 33
OKC: Adams, Perry Jones III and #14.

That's a pretty fair deal for everyone involved. Ainge gave up two mid-late seconds to move up 3 spots in 2013, so that's why they get the Philly pick. (Presti likes early 2nds) Olynyk could be a great weapon and Kanter substitute for them with McGary getting more run and Ibaka back, plus with our two picks in a draft loaded with bigs they could find a guy who can fill Adams' current defensive role. It can't be understated how perfect Bradley is for that team, his tenacious defense, solid outside shot and ability to play off the ball are the perfect skills for a guy sharing the court with Westbrook and Durant, just adding him and moving Waiters would put them right back in the championship discussion.

For us, Adams fills our hole at the 5 perfectly, we would still have #14 and #28 to move up with AND we get a flyer on PJ3, who's always been a talented guy stuck behind KD and a bad coach, but has also shown real flashes of something greater when given ample playing time. May not be our long term answer at SF, but he's a young guy who's certainly worth a looksee. Guy is like 6'10 and can legit play the 3!

Even if Kanter stays, I think something like AB, the pick-swap, Young and a future 2nd (or the Dallas if need be instead of Young) could get us Adams and PJ3. He's not on the trading block, but for the right package I think we could grab him. Just if we do try a deal with them, DO NOT include Waiters.

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2015, 07:52:43 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Kanter not worth no max

Over rated and bad defense,

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2015, 09:48:32 AM »

Offline BornReady

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 40
a bit crazy to say that OKC maxes kanter
kanter seems more of a role player than a legitimate star player
solid offensively, poor defense
OKC would never max kanter considering they already have durant and westbrook maxed deservedly

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2015, 11:13:31 AM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56

You're absolutely right. Adams would be a great fit here. Unfortunately, if the bidding gets out of hand on Kanter, I think that they will just let him move on. At that point, they would hardly move Adams if they want to contend. If Kanter stays then I still think they keep Adams for now and make themselves an even stronger contender and just push their decision on him to the trade deadline or even the offseason as Kanter's contract could become a useful moveable asset if they prefer Adams. OKC has complete control until the end of the 2016-2017 season.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 11:19:47 AM by Irish Stew »

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2015, 11:25:02 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Maxing Kanter is like maxing Asik .....dumb

I totally agree that Adams is the type of player .....full motor , hi energy , team play defensive rebounding center Celtics need.

I think his game would work well with the players already here.

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2015, 11:39:26 AM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
Just trying to think of a scenario in which they might be willing to trade Adams. Maybe if we just send them draft choices 16 and 28 and agree to take back some of their contracts that they want to move (Waiters? Collison?) without sending salary back? Just a thought. Their payroll is really high.

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2015, 12:10:59 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Just trying to think of a scenario in which they might be willing to trade Adams. Maybe if we just send them draft choices 16 and 28 and agree to take back some of their contracts that they want to move (Waiters? Collison?) without sending salary back? Just a thought. Their payroll is really high.

They will not trade Adams until during the season, if at all.  It's championship or bust for OKC next year -- what do they need with draft picks when they already have #14?  What if Kanter walks?  What if Kanter gets hurt?

They shouldn't trade any rotation players except for a better rotation player.  So what if Adams doesn't play as much?  That's not their problem, unless he should be playing more minutes than Kanter.  That team has all kinds of depth, and is ready to roll if the stars are healthy.  So unless they're uograding talent, they should only move their depth to fix other depth issues that may arise during the season due to injury or poorer-than-expected performance.

Including Kanter, they have 14 players under contract for next year, plus #14 in June.  That team is set.

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2015, 12:37:15 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145

Do they need to trade him? No. But he's not vital to their success either. Certainly not untouchable. They have Ibaka, who's one of the best shot-blockers in the league and McGary who's more limited than Adams defensively, but he's certainly no where near as bad as Kanter or KO and has a more polished offensive game. He's getable, just for the right price.

Honestly, I think we have a chance of nabbing him even if Kanter signs elsewhere. It became clear in OKC this year that for one, having an offensively talented big really helps their offense and two, playing ball dominant guards, like Waiters, next to Westbrook and KD just isn't going to work. Maybe Augustin off the bench can work, but not Waiters. Far too reliant on volume scoring and not a good enough creator to be a sixth man.

But y'know who would fit perfectly? Our own Avery Bradley, that's who. I almost hope we trade him there just to shut everyone up who says he isn't a starter on a good team. Regardless of whether or not they re-sign Kanter, I think we can use AB (who the Thunder have always been rumored to really like) as part of a package to bring Adams to us.

So let's say they can't resign Kanter. The Thunder have KD returning next year so they'll obviously be in contention, but they're pick this year is #14, two spots ahead of us. So without Kanter, they need some front-court offense. Well we have that too. A fair deal can be worked out for both sides. If it was me, I'd like something along the lines of...

BOS: Bradley, Olynyk OR Zeller, 16 and 33
OKC: Adams, Perry Jones III and #14.

That's a pretty fair deal for everyone involved. Ainge gave up two mid-late seconds to move up 3 spots in 2013, so that's why they get the Philly pick. (Presti likes early 2nds) Olynyk could be a great weapon and Kanter substitute for them with McGary getting more run and Ibaka back, plus with our two picks in a draft loaded with bigs they could find a guy who can fill Adams' current defensive role. It can't be understated how perfect Bradley is for that team, his tenacious defense, solid outside shot and ability to play off the ball are the perfect skills for a guy sharing the court with Westbrook and Durant, just adding him and moving Waiters would put them right back in the championship discussion.

For us, Adams fills our hole at the 5 perfectly, we would still have #14 and #28 to move up with AND we get a flyer on PJ3, who's always been a talented guy stuck behind KD and a bad coach, but has also shown real flashes of something greater when given ample playing time. May not be our long term answer at SF, but he's a young guy who's certainly worth a looksee. Guy is like 6'10 and can legit play the 3!

Even if Kanter stays, I think something like AB, the pick-swap, Young and a future 2nd (or the Dallas if need be instead of Young) could get us Adams and PJ3. He's not on the trading block, but for the right package I think we could grab him. Just if we do try a deal with them, DO NOT include Waiters.

I really like the idea of Zeller + AB for Adams. Fit in the pieces you need to make it work. AB is a perfect fit for OKC-- 3+D roleplayers are great to pair with Durant and Westbrook. And Zeller is a downgrade from Adams, but not a dramatic one in the short run. They sacrifice Adams' upside, but honestly they need to be way more concerned about winning now so they can keep Durant.