Author Topic: Woj: Cavs have legitimate fear Kevin Love will walk this summer  (Read 12638 times)

Re: Woj: Cavs have legitimate fear Kevin Love will walk this summer
« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2015, 08:26:54 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I too think Love will opt out (or maybe it's wishful thinking.)

I've been a long time proponent of brining Love to Boston and here's what needs to happen.

On July 1st (assuming KLove opts), then DA, Brad Stevens and Wyc Grousbeck need to reach out to Love and make their pitch like other teams do when they pursue free agents.

They REALLY need to sell Love on coming to Boston.

Maybe a five-star dinner at one of Boston's finest dinning establishments and selling him on becoming the face of the NBA's most storied franchise.

This (IMO) is our best shot (for now) at getting a big free agent. Then maybe, if we have Love in hand we can get a legit center (Asik, one of the Lopez brothers) or make a trade.

But we need to make this happen in our quest to get back to the finals.

Also, how funny would it be if the Cavs ended up dealing Wiggins for just one year of Love.

« Reply #46 on: May 06, 2015, 08:33:58 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
I think that things could end up unfolding quite differently—for Boston and the rest of the NBA—from what most people are envisioning. I have no inside knowledge leading me to think that, but it seems like things often just don't go the way the majority thinks they will, particularly when it comes to Danny Ainge.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #47 on: May 06, 2015, 09:13:21 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
I too think Love will opt out (or maybe it's wishful thinking.)

I've been a long time proponent of brining Love to Boston and here's what needs to happen.

On July 1st (assuming KLove opts), then DA, Brad Stevens and Wyc Grousbeck need to reach out to Love and make their pitch like other teams do when they pursue free agents.

They REALLY need to sell Love on coming to Boston.

Maybe a five-star dinner at one of Boston's finest dinning establishments and selling him on becoming the face of the NBA's most storied franchise.

This (IMO) is our best shot (for now) at getting a big free agent. Then maybe, if we have Love in hand we can get a legit center (Asik, one of the Lopez brothers) or make a trade.

But we need to make this happen in our quest to get back to the finals.

Also, how funny would it be if the Cavs ended up dealing Wiggins for just one year of Love.

In hindsight, that'd be one of the worst trades in recent history if Love would end up leaving and they'd be knocked out by the Bulls in the 2nd round.

« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2015, 09:26:08 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
If Love stays in Cleveland as an ill-fitting 3rd option, he'll hurt himself financially.  He needs to opt out and go somewhere that he can put up his T-wolves numbers.   

For us, status quo is bad.  More good players opting out and changing teams opens up more opportunities.  Even if we can't land a star, we still might get brought in as a 3rd team like the Cavs deal that netted us Zeller and a 1st. 

« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2015, 09:30:41 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
If Love stays in Cleveland as an ill-fitting 3rd option, he'll hurt himself financially.

I don't think so.  Was Bosh hurt financially by being a third option? 

Dan Gilbert is going to give Love a max contract, or whatever contract Love asks for.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2015, 09:38:51 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
If Love stays in Cleveland as an ill-fitting 3rd option, he'll hurt himself financially.

Dan Gilbert is going to give Love a max contract, or whatever contract Love asks for.

Yeah, strictly talking dollars he'll be fine.

Can't help but think it would kind of suck to be the 3rd banana on a Lebron team though. When the team is rolling and playing well, it's about how great Lebron/Kyrie are. When things are going down hill, all fingers point at Kevin Love. Reminds me somewhat of Pau Gasol in some of his Laker years.

Plus, even if Love wins with Lebron, hes getting an asterisk put next to his name whether that's fair or not.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2015, 09:41:05 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
Makes me think that Ainge making a Big Draft day trade is SO important to the C's...If he uses a bunch of his Chips, to significantly improve our roster PRIOR to the start of Free Agency---than He'll be in a much better place, making offers.
The Cousins thing doesn't seem plausible to me, but hypothetically would you dramatically overpay for Carmelo Anthony if it would give you a better shot at Kevin Love?  Let's assume the Knicks land a stud in this draft and Phil decides he wants to just build around youth.

For instance, if the price for Melo was Wallace's 10 mil expiring + Bradley's 7 mil + Marcus Smart + Sully + #16 + #28 + Brooklyn's 2016...   But it ensured that you'd be able to lure Kevin Love... and then use Thomas + Turner + picks to trade for Ty Lawson... you'd have something like this on the books

PG - Lawson - 12.4 mil
SG - Young? Lol - 1.7 mil
SF - Melo - 22.8 mil
PF - Love - 20 mil?
C - Zeller - 2.6 mil
6th - Olynyk - 2 mil

I think we'd have another 5 mil in cap space to hopefully bring Paul Pierce home on an opt-out...  Fill out the rest of the roster with min level players (KG's staying in Minny for the long-haul, but offer him the vet min out of respect).    Instead of only having 5 mil left, I'm alternatively not not opposed to dumping the salary of Zeller + Olynyk (for future picks) and having another 9ish mil to offer a guy like Omer Asik.   That number might even be higher if we sign Kevin Love for less than 20 mil.

Sure, that team probably doesn't win a title, but then a year later we'd have 25 mil in cap space to add to Lawson, Melo and Love...  then a year later you'd have another 20 mil in cap space to add even more talent.  Welcome to salary cap crazy-town.  Best take a swing immediately so you aren't left in the dust when the megateams start forming.

Ehhh. Though it'd be a ridiculous offense, I don't like having five guys in the starting lineup that are average or worse defensively, especially Love and Melo.

I don't see a draft-day trade happening, because I don't think there's really any true star out there that we could pull off a trade for right now. DMC is the closest one, but the earliest they'd pull the trigger on a DMC trade is this coming season if it's not going well. I think we'll have to try and sit down with two free agents, e.g. Jordan and Love, and try to convince them together to come here.
We don't have cap space to do that without a couple moves (gotta dump the salary of 2 of the following 3 players:  Thomas, Bradley, Wallace).  Will be interesting to see how Ainge handles this.

Yeah, I know we'd have to open up a little bit of space for a second near-max player. I'm sure we can dump Wallace with a first (Sixers), and I would think we could make some sort of cap-saving move with either Bradley or Thomas (more than likely Bradley since IT will be needed). What about making a trade with Utah since they reportedly like Bradley? Something like Bradley for their pick this year (#12) and salary filler?
I wouldn't trade the #12 pick for Bradley.  Would Bradley even start for Utah?  I think at a minimum it would need to be Bradley and the #28 for the #12.  Getting the #12 would certainly help our trade up opportunities. 

« Reply #52 on: May 06, 2015, 09:49:23 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith

Yeah, strictly talking dollars he'll be fine.

Can't help but think it would kind of suck to be the 3rd banana on a Lebron team though. When the team is rolling and playing well, it's about how great Lebron/Kyrie are. When things are going down hill, all fingers point at Kevin Love. Reminds me somewhat of Pau Gasol in some of his Laker years.

Plus, even if Love wins with Lebron, hes getting an asterisk put next to his name whether that's fair or not.

Plus, it doesn't help that he was the # 1 option in Minny, making him go from everything he wanted offensively to being third fiddle behind two of the best scorers in the game.

« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2015, 10:03:06 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

I think Love and Bosh are very different situations.  Bosh got paid MAX because Lebron left and Riley couldn't afford to lose Bosh also.  Bosh basically became Miami's #1b option offensively and Bosh is a positive defensively.  Love is a 3rd option for the Cavs offensively and a negative defensively.  After the cap goes up, I think Love's MAX would be 26+mil.  Is Gilbert really going to pay that much to someone who averages (16/10/2) and is a negative defensively? 

« Reply #54 on: May 06, 2015, 10:08:03 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I think Love and Bosh are very different situations.  Bosh got paid MAX because Lebron left and Riley couldn't afford to lose Bosh also.  Bosh basically became Miami's #1b option offensively and Bosh is a positive defensively.  Love is a 3rd option for the Cavs offensively and a negative defensively.  After the cap goes up, I think Love's MAX would be 26+mil.  Is Gilbert really going to pay that much to someone who averages (16/10/2) and is a negative defensively?

I don't think that Dan Gilbert cares about money.  His net worth has increased by $1 billion in the last calendar year; paying Kevin Love $26 million, versus $20 million or whatever value he should be making as a third option, is peanuts.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #55 on: May 06, 2015, 11:34:53 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

I don't think that Dan Gilbert cares about money.  His net worth has increased by $1 billion in the last calendar year; paying Kevin Love $26 million, versus $20 million or whatever value he should be making as a third option, is peanuts.
I don't think Gilbert cares about the money either.  Gilbert will try to do whatever it takes to keep Lebron happy.  If Lebron wants Love to stay, Gilbert will overpay to keep him.  I think there is a good chance that Lebron decides Love isn't a good fit for winning championships. 

However its not just about the Cavs.  I doubt Love wants to stay in Cleveland long term.  So if Love has a 2nd season averaging 16/10/2 or worse if he has a poor recovery from his injury, will other teams that he'd prefer to play for offer him MAX deal?  Maybe they still will but it is a risk. 

« Reply #56 on: May 06, 2015, 11:50:58 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith

I don't think Gilbert cares about the money either.  Gilbert will try to do whatever it takes to keep Lebron happy.  If Lebron wants Love to stay, Gilbert will overpay to keep him.  I think there is a good chance that Lebron decides Love isn't a good fit for winning championships. 

However its not just about the Cavs.  I doubt Love wants to stay in Cleveland long term.  So if Love has a 2nd season averaging 16/10/2 or worse if he has a poor recovery from his injury, will other teams that he'd prefer to play for offer him MAX deal?  Maybe they still will but it is a risk.

No matter what he says to the media, his actions tend to suggest that city preference and being "the man" on the team are more important to him than winning as a third cog on a team in a crappy city, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

« Reply #57 on: May 06, 2015, 11:53:50 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Breach Boy is a Laker. Are there any beaches in Cleveland?

« Reply #58 on: May 07, 2015, 01:06:37 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Do the Celtics have chance of getting him with all that happened?

I hope not.

« Reply #59 on: May 07, 2015, 01:39:55 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Do the Celtics have chance of getting him with all that happened?

I hope not.
I think this is going to be one of those things that some fans look back on and feel rather silly.  Kevin Love is a top-tier basketball player.  He's 26 years old.   The Lakers are getting a borderline superstar when they sign him this Summer.   

I get that the guy is a weak defensive player, but he's the type of player you could build your offense around.  I'd love to have him here.