Author Topic: 2nd round potential gem  (Read 4125 times)

Re: 2nd round potential gem
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2015, 05:10:06 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
I'm taking that to mean that you've never seen him play.

For those of you who didn't play past 3rd or 4th grade.   Who you play against is important especially in college.  The D-I play in the Big Sky compared to the ACC or Big Ten or SEC is night and day.  There is a reason that mid majors rarely make it to the finals like Steven did at Butler or Bird did with Indiana State, they do not get the quality of players nor do they have the level of competition.  That being said, a D-I player with crush most guys at the Y.

He might be worth a second round pick but then again he might not.   Anyone recall Kedrick Brown he took up his division in college, had a pro body and did not do so hot in the pros.

Right, except for the fact that Harvey is nothing like Brown in terms of game or school.  Kedrick put up his numbers at a community college, while Harvey was the leading scorer in college basketball this past year at a division I school and he also led his team to the NCAA tournament.  Your comparison is truly absurd, imo.  Wow.

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2015, 05:11:45 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
6'4 SG that can shoot the lights out.

Are we sure we're ready to move on from Andre Dawkins?

Dawkins is a million dollar arm with a 5 cent brain. Averaged 0.5 assist and 0.4 steals in college which screams - I don't give a [dang] about anything but chucking my shots.

Harvey is a much better shooter, plus passes and plays defense. Not saying he is a sure thing - which is why I peg him as a 2nd round steal and not lottery talent....

Ahaha, TP ;D.

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2015, 05:12:13 PM »

Offline Joe Green

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 25
Agree with all posters he need to prove himself against real competition. The question is - do we risk a bust, and swing for a buy low sell high prospect who seems like a fantastic shooter.

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2015, 05:15:33 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Theres always the chance that he is just another Austin Rivers 2.0.

Anyways I agree 100% with the other posters that the combine will now be the deciding factor.

Did austin rivers ever shoot 43 percent from the in college?

Have you seen the way he shoots the ball?

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2015, 05:15:47 PM »

Offline Joe Green

• Brad Stevens
Don't concerns about the level of competition concern you?

Damian Lillard is really he best NBA player to come out of the Big Sky Conference.  He is a good one, Stuckey is another but most were not that very good in the league.

http://basketball.realgm.com/ncaa/conferences/Big-Sky-Conference/20/nba-players

I'm taking that to mean that you've never seen him play.  Harvey has been mentioned in a couple of threads not too long ago.  Did you guys somehow not see them?  No big deal - here they are -

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=77820.0

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=77911.0

Thanks for the links (:

Saved me the time to write a post on how much I would like Delon Wright as our backup combo guard (I think he would be fantastic alongside IT)

« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2015, 05:19:14 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Also I do not believe he is a better 3pt shooter than James Young. James is younger but shot from NBA range in the D league and still shot if not the same then better....IMO

But I am intrigued with Harvey. Maybe his ceiling is Jamal Crawford?

James Young never shot 43 percent in college. Harvey did each year in college.

Yes the competition is lower. But you cant deny the quick release, unlimited range plus accuracy. In the highlights guys are draped all over him yet he can still make the 3 or step back threes. Sometimes he would just shoot it from way downtown . maybe for fun.

Im impressed regardless if he played in a lower division.

Also what is your explanation with lillard?

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2015, 09:58:06 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Theres always the chance that he is just another Austin Rivers 2.0.

Anyways I agree 100% with the other posters that the combine will now be the deciding factor.

Did austin rivers ever shoot 43 percent from the in college?

Have you seen the way he shoots the ball?
They do kinda look the same, but Rivers biggest weakness is the single reason this kid is going to get drafted. 3 pt shooting.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2015, 03:13:15 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
Agree with all posters he need to prove himself against real competition. The question is - do we risk a bust, and swing for a buy low sell high prospect who seems like a fantastic shooter.
I fail to see how any one selected in the second round of the nba draft could ever be considered a bust.  ???
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2015, 03:30:34 AM »

Offline Joe Green

• Brad Stevens
I fail to see how any one selected in the second round of the nba draft could ever be considered a bust.  ???

This  :) :) :)

« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2015, 04:25:42 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Tyler Harvey currently is projected mid to late 2nd round. The kid led the nation in scoring shooting around 50% / 40% / 90% which is the GOLD standard for pure shooters. He has decent size for SG at 6"4 and is a decent passer (2.5 assists) and defender (1.2 steals)

We classify 6'4" as decent size for a SG now days? 

[dang], what a difference that 1" makes.  I still can't pass through 5 threads without somebody complaining about undersized 6'3" Avery Bradley lol

« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2015, 06:54:21 AM »

Offline Joe Green

• Brad Stevens
Tyler Harvey currently is projected mid to late 2nd round. The kid led the nation in scoring shooting around 50% / 40% / 90% which is the GOLD standard for pure shooters. He has decent size for SG at 6"4 and is a decent passer (2.5 assists) and defender (1.2 steals)

We classify 6'4" as decent size for a SG now days? 

[dang], what a difference that 1" makes.  I still can't pass through 5 threads without somebody complaining about undersized 6'3" Avery Bradley lol

Ideally, a SG should be in the 6"4 - 6 " 6 Range. NBA positions jump every 2" or so, so yes, Avery is a little small. The problem with AB though is that he plays small. He doesn't rebound. He doesn't penetrate or get to the FT line. Alan Iverson was a 6" SG who was undersized even for a PG but he played with the intensity of a 250 lbs 6"8 power forward (:

I don't want this to turn into another AB bashing thread - but the problem is AB doesn't have any inside game or true outside (3 point) game. Harvey is a killer 3pt shooter, can pull up from anywhere to shoot over his defender.

« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2015, 07:01:36 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
I like the fact that against SMU, Indiana, Cal, Washington and G-Town this he he averaged 25.6 pts per game. I watched very little of him last year but he reminds he in a lot of way of Marcus Thorton. Both about the same size with similar skill sets. Thorton was the 43rd pick when he came out.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 07:20:00 AM by CFAN38 »
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2015, 07:31:38 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I like the fact that against SMU, Indiana, Cal, Washington and G-Town this he he averaged 25.6 pts per game. I watched very little of him last year but he reminds he in a lot of way of Marcus Thorton. Both about the same size with similar skill sets. Thorton was the 43rd pick when he came out.

With better passing skills and handles
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 07:42:14 AM by triboy16f »

« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2015, 09:52:42 AM »

Offline BornReady

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 40
i guess we can see during workouts
or 1 on 1 drills
if he is as good as advertised

« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2015, 10:43:08 AM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.
I welcome any high risk/high reward players on this team, we need someone, ANYONE with a killer mentality that's not 5 foot 9.