Author Topic: 2nd round potential gem  (Read 4129 times)

2nd round potential gem
« on: May 06, 2015, 11:13:01 AM »

Offline Joe Green

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 25
Tyler Harvey currently is projected mid to late 2nd round. The kid led the nation in scoring shooting around 50% / 40% / 90% which is the GOLD standard for pure shooters. He has decent size for SG at 6"4 and is a decent passer (2.5 assists) and defender (1.2 steals)

He is one of the best guards at getting to the line shooting almost 6 ft per game - which is a huge boost in efficiency.

He is still relatively young (will turn 22 in July). In today's NBA 3pt shooting a getting to the line are the two most efficient shots and therefore a huge premium for players who can do either. Harvey does BOTH.

I will be very pleased if we pick him up in the 2nd round...

Re: 2nd round potential gem
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 11:56:01 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
Tyler Harvey currently is projected mid to late 2nd round. The kid led the nation in scoring shooting around 50% / 40% / 90% which is the GOLD standard for pure shooters. He has decent size for SG at 6"4 and is a decent passer (2.5 assists) and defender (1.2 steals)

He is one of the best guards at getting to the line shooting almost 6 ft per game - which is a huge boost in efficiency.

He is still relatively young (will turn 22 in July). In today's NBA 3pt shooting a getting to the line are the two most efficient shots and therefore a huge premium for players who can do either. Harvey does BOTH.

I will be very pleased if we pick him up in the 2nd round...

He's projected all over the place - from late first to undrafted. His position will only solidify after the pre-draft workouts. If he shows good explosion he'll sneak into round 1. If he doesn't, he'll fall like a rock.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 12:21:04 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Agree with ^ but his floor is mid 2nd I feel.

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 01:24:05 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Don't concerns about the level of competition concern you?

Damian Lillard is really he best NBA player to come out of the Big Sky Conference.  He is a good one, Stuckey is another but most were not that very good in the league.

http://basketball.realgm.com/ncaa/conferences/Big-Sky-Conference/20/nba-players

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2015, 01:26:42 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

Damian Lillard is really he best NBA player to come out of the Big Sky Conference.  He is a good one, Stuckey is another but most were not that very good in the league.

That is where the workouts and testing come in. Lillard was great in workouts and testing.

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2015, 01:30:02 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I would not be surprised if he goes in the 1st round.

If Lillard did why cant harvey

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2015, 01:38:19 PM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
6'4 SG that can shoot the lights out.

Are we sure we're ready to move on from Andre Dawkins?
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2015, 01:55:52 PM »

Offline Joe Green

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 25
6'4 SG that can shoot the lights out.

Are we sure we're ready to move on from Andre Dawkins?

Dawkins is a million dollar arm with a 5 cent brain. Averaged 0.5 assist and 0.4 steals in college which screams - I don't give a [dang] about anything but chucking my shots.

Harvey is a much better shooter, plus passes and plays defense. Not saying he is a sure thing - which is why I peg him as a 2nd round steal and not lottery talent....

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2015, 04:00:28 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

I'm taking that to mean that you've never seen him play.  Harvey has been mentioned in a couple of threads not too long ago.  Did you guys somehow not see them?  No big deal - here they are -

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=77820.0

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=77911.0

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2015, 04:05:48 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Harvey super quick release, unlimited range,  3 pt accuracy, step back 3s and if you cheat blow by for acrobatic finishes around the rim scream Curry. He has stated he models his game after the mvp.

I think he is going to be a poor man curry left hand version. I would totally considee reaching for him or someone like Wood instead of going the safe route and drafting lyles

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2015, 04:28:00 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
the question that springs to my mind is if the kid has the shooting skills and size being praised here, why is he not being considered as a mid first rounder?  if a kid sounds that good but isn't considered that high a prospect, it's probably a warning sign he's a risky pick

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2015, 04:39:50 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
Theres always the chance that he is just another Austin Rivers 2.0.

Anyways I agree 100% with the other posters that the combine will now be the deciding factor.

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2015, 04:42:36 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
Also I do not believe he is a better 3pt shooter than James Young. James is younger but shot from NBA range in the D league and still shot if not the same then better....IMO

But I am intrigued with Harvey. Maybe his ceiling is Jamal Crawford?

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2015, 04:50:51 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I'm taking that to mean that you've never seen him play.

For those of you who didn't play past 3rd or 4th grade.   Who you play against is important especially in college.  The D-I play in the Big Sky compared to the ACC or Big Ten or SEC is night and day.  There is a reason that mid majors rarely make it to the finals like Steven did at Butler or Bird did with Indiana State, they do not get the quality of players nor do they have the level of competition.  That being said, a D-I player with crush most guys at the Y.

He might be worth a second round pick but then again he might not.   Anyone recall Kedrick Brown he took up his division in college, had a pro body and did not do so hot in the pros.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 04:57:45 PM by Celtics4ever »

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2015, 05:03:04 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
I'm taking that to mean that you've never seen him play.
  For those of you who didn't play past 3rd or 4th grade.   Who you play against is important especially in college.

I'm aware of that, and there's no need to be insulting.  Many all stars and hall of famers have come from small schools, so this is hardly a novel idea.  You should really have a look at his game log before casting judgement on the guy, imo.