Author Topic: keep or trade ET? long term role?  (Read 8713 times)

keep or trade ET? long term role?
« on: May 06, 2015, 10:59:17 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
He had a good year, but what is his future with the team??

Cbs seems to favour of playing  ET , especially giving him ball handling duties . im not a fan of this. In addition is not a very good player without the ball.

If we are not extending him past this upcoming season, would you trade him this offseason? What can we get in return?

If you want to keep him after this season , what is his role with the team?? I think most rathet have Crowder as the backup 3

Re: keep or trade ET? long term role?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 11:09:04 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
likeliest option is to let him play out the year and evaluate the team in the next offseason to see if he still fits.

my preferred option, get a real starting-quality PG so Turner can be moved (since we shouldn't need him as a primary ball handler).  use him as an expiring deal with Wallace's expiring deal (and other needed assets) to trade for a all-star caliber player that needs a change of scenery at the trade deadline

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 11:09:51 AM »

Offline celts10

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
He had a good year, but what is his future with the team??

Cbs seems to favour of playing  ET , especially giving him ball handling duties . im not a fan of this. In addition is not a very good player without the ball.

If we are not extending him past this upcoming season, would you trade him this offseason? What can we get in return?

If you want to keep him after this season , what is his role with the team?? I think most rathet have Crowder as the backup 3

I'd certainly include him in a trade for Cousins.  ;D

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 11:09:59 AM »

Offline Bosstown

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 32
Keep ET as a BACKUP.

Don't like him as a starter but love him as a shot creator and distributor off the bench.

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2015, 11:10:51 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Whatever we can do to get rid of Evan Turner we should do it. He is a black hole. 20% of the time he can make something out of nothing with his isolation play. The other 80% he is worse than watching paint dry. He is too slow, horribly low basketball IQ, and makes the ball stick. Everything CBS's system goes against.

I'd take a late second round pick for him. If he has a long term future with the Celtics, then we aren't going to be accomplishing much.

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2015, 11:15:49 AM »

Offline acieEarl

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 47
I'd be surprised if he's not used in an upcoming trade. Great contract, decent player. If not, he just plays out his last year. I don't mind Turner, but he's just an average player and looked bad in the playoffs.

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2015, 11:22:09 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
No long term future here. Turner is on his way out. This summer or next.

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2015, 11:26:46 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I like him as sort of a 9th man or so. If he wants to be paid that way and accept that as a role for a solid three years I'm with him. If not he's gotta go.

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2015, 11:31:49 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
My guess is he finishes out his contract and by then we have a player good enough to replace him in the rotation.

I would trade him, but I don't think he has a ton of value so I'm not sure if it would be worth it.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2015, 11:35:43 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
No long term future here. Turner is on his way out. This summer or next.

This. I actually like Turner, but we're fairly deep in our guard rotations and SF is a definitely need to upgrade, and once that occurs having Turner around would be pointless.

Regardless, he's good for us right now because he's low money, but that's where it ends.

This is the end of the road for him in Celtics Green, unless he accepts a lesser role going forward, which I don't know how productive/counterproductive that would be in the end.

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2015, 11:52:29 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
I am not in favor of a long contract.  The thing about Turner is he needs the ball and with the ball in a good system he can be productive but your team has a certain ceiling there.  We need to get more talent, that will need the ball to be effective, and then Turner is expendable. 

I really grew to appreciate Turner and thought he got a lot better over the course of the year.  Early on he seemed way too wild but he became much better with the turnovers and his passing is legitimately quite good.  So I would recommend signing him to other teams who need a guy to handle the ball, probably off the bench.  It's just ideally you want a better, All Star type player in that role if you can.

It would depend on that, but that's my thinking.  If we bring him back on a good deal I will not complain because I trust Ainge's plan and Turner won me over as the year went along over all.  He just can't play his regular season role in the big moments that will be needed to be a real contender.  Maybe he can work in and accept a lesser role too more off ball.  If anyone could manage that, it's Stevens.  He would need to work on his three.  I just hope Smart starts taking over more and more ball handling starting next year.

Another thing about Turner: his skill is one thing the team lacks from almost all other players, which is creating your own shot off the dribble.  Thomas can do that too now, but otherwise he was basically the only one so was very necessary and essential in his role.  Lets remember that we had Jordan Crawford playing this role and he actually looked quite good doing the same thing too.  And apparently can't get on a team (for what it's worth, I really do like Crawford, more than Turner because he can shoot).  Just saying that Stevens and the fit with our team can make a guy look awful good and lets just keep that in mind.  On other teams and systems your mileage may vary.

On the Pacers for example, there wasn't that fit for Turner to handle the ball and he looked terrible.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 11:57:46 AM by Snakehead »
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2015, 12:23:22 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Use Bradley as trade bait, start Turner at SG where he belongs.

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2015, 12:29:16 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Why do people want to keep bad players on the team?
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2015, 12:33:18 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Trade while stock is high.

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2015, 12:41:27 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Why do people want to keep bad players on the team?

Because it's so much easier to root for a team of scrappy underdogs that overperforms its low talent level rather than be disappointed by an aging group of stars that cruises through three quarters of the regular season and gets outworked to every loose ball.

I'm being facetious, but this season was a lot less painful to watch than the 2009-2010 regular season.

My hope is that Ainge upgrades Bradley for a superior ball-handler at the 2 (or the 1, and then moves Smart to the 2) and then Turner becomes superfluous.

Turner reminded us of the value of having a versatile wing with ball-handling ability and a nice mid-range game.  Haven't had that since Paul Pierce's glory days.  Now it's Ainge's job to find a guy with starting talent who can fill that role.  Turner's not it.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain