Author Topic: keep or trade ET? long term role?  (Read 8707 times)

Re: keep or trade ET? long term role?
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2015, 11:36:05 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I think he'll be gone by the end of his contract.

Turner has two key issues that concern me:

1) Lack of three point range - even Smart is better from three already
2) Horrible decision making - the guy is an absolute turnover machine

Still, by the end of his contact I think teams will see the things he does well, and somebody will offer him a MLE deal, which won't be worth us matching.

He's ultimately not too bad if we use him as a bench guy because he can bring energy and he's capable of quick scoring bursts, but definitely don't want him starting long term.

« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2015, 12:15:57 AM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
What's interesting to me is that in 31 games after the All-Star break last year, his assist to turnover ratio was nearly 3:1 (6.9 assists, 2.4 turnovers).

If you slot those numbers for a full season, he would be 10th in the league in assists per game and have the 4th best assist/turnover ratio in the top 50.

http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/player/_/stat/assists/sort/avgAssists/seasontype/2

Now a lot of the players in that range are also superior scorers with higher usage, but with Turner's rep for turnovers I was pretty surprised...

« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2015, 11:44:19 PM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123
I wouldn't trade Turner unless there was a pretty good trade. He's not the long term answer but he's one of only 3 guys we have that can play the point on O. The problem that I see, is that we shouldn't play him and IT together off the bench. They both need the ball in their hands. Hopefully Smart can beat out Turner for point on O at some point next season. Dream scenario: Turner starts and does well and we trade him for something good and also upgrade at the deadline. That way we give Smart another half season to ease into full time point and we still get something for Turner.

« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2015, 12:03:10 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
@Hemingway
Ernest is that you?
I thought you shot yourself in the head some time ago.
Anyway, happy to see you are back to the writing business  ;D

« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2015, 12:13:11 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
@Hemingway
Ernest is that you?
I thought you shot yourself in the head some time ago.
Anyway, happy to see you are back to the writing business  ;D
it's only a flesh wound. he's had worse.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2015, 01:40:20 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
He seems like a guy that is ok at everything, but not good at anything.  That makes it difficult to carve out a role where he can help a contending team.  I hope some team sees some value in him and we can trade him.  Although, we do need someone who can run the point first.

« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2015, 10:47:08 AM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
He's more of a guy who's below-average at everything, but I get your overall point.

« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2015, 11:31:09 AM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
I wouldn't trade Turner unless there was a pretty good trade. He's not the long term answer but he's one of only 3 guys we have that can play the point on O. The problem that I see, is that we shouldn't play him and IT together off the bench. They both need the ball in their hands. Hopefully Smart can beat out Turner for point on O at some point next season. Dream scenario: Turner starts and does well and we trade him for something good and also upgrade at the deadline. That way we give Smart another half season to ease into full time point and we still get something for Turner.

One of only three guy we have that can play the point on O???  I think we have four:  Smart, Thomas, Pressey AND Turner (and really Bradley with is decreased turnovers --- for a VERY SHORT period).

ET is one of ONLY two guys that can get off his own shot at just about ANY time:  IT and ET.

Smitty77

« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2015, 12:06:19 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
ET does some nice things occasionally, and some terrible thing too often. If trading him can get you a player that will definitely improve the team, do it. If your going to get two nickels for a dime, then he's worth keeping just for his versatility and contract.

My biggest problem with Eric Turner is I don't want him as a starter, and I don't want him in the game at the same time as IT.
Ball movement really comes to a stop with both of them trying to be semi-facititators.

« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2015, 01:06:54 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
ET does some nice things occasionally, and some terrible thing too often. If trading him can get you a player that will definitely improve the team, do it. If your going to get two nickels for a dime, then he's worth keeping just for his versatility and contract.

My biggest problem with Eric Turner is I don't want him as a starter, and I don't want him in the game at the same time as IT.
Ball movement really comes to a stop with both of them trying to be semi-facititators.

TP ...+1

« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2015, 01:17:57 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269

I truly do not know who the heck is "Eric" Turner, but I do know that I agree with you that I too do NOT want HIM to be a starter:-)))  Now Evan Turner is another debate.

Smitty77

« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2015, 02:51:11 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54

I truly do not know who the heck is "Eric" Turner, but I do know that I agree with you that I too do NOT want HIM to be a starter:-)))  Now Evan Turner is another debate.

Smitty77

You don't know who Eric Turner is?  He sang Dancing in my Head and Blues With a Feelin'

Absolutely he should be starting
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2015, 03:42:12 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I don't think he is a long-term guy, but you don't move him without having a replacement for his role lined up, unless someone is offering to overpay for his services in a trade.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2015, 03:45:02 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
ET is one of ONLY two guys that can get off his own shot at just about ANY time:  IT and ET.

The problem is that ET's own shot isn't very good.  An opposing team should want him trying to get his own shot off every single trip down the floor.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2015, 03:01:31 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
If the Celtics can bring in Harris and also sign Crowder ,  what will happen with Turner?

If we sign Harris, would you rather trade Crowder and keep Turner to be the backup sf?