Author Topic: keep or trade ET? long term role?  (Read 8717 times)

Re: keep or trade ET? long term role?
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2015, 10:09:42 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
I'd be surprised if he's not used in an upcoming trade. Great contract, decent player. If not, he just plays out his last year. I don't mind Turner, but he's just an average player and looked bad in the playoffs.

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2015, 10:38:48 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
Trade while stock is high.

I imagine this was the idea all along. Ainge will find some dumb GM and convince him to trade a 1st round pick for him. ET was a good stopgap whiile we lacked a starting PG, but as soon as Smart is ready for full-time PG duties, he's gone.

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2015, 10:39:21 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I think he played well this year and I think his ability to grab rebounds and rack up assists is totally underrated on in this forum. Unfortunately, I don't see much of a future for him on this team. He is your typical jack of all trades type of player, which is great off the bench, but I am not sure he is ready to accept that role yet - especially on a rebuilding team.

If we can't keep Crowder, but we upgrade greatly this year and Turner buys into the whole system, then he may be a keeper; otherwise, he may be moving on to greener pastures.

As for the Jordan Crawford reference, he was offered an NBA contract this year, he just chose more money in China. I imagine he will be back.

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2015, 11:32:38 AM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.
He had a good year, but what is his future with the team??

Cbs seems to favour of playing  ET , especially giving him ball handling duties . im not a fan of this. In addition is not a very good player without the ball.

If we are not extending him past this upcoming season, would you trade him this offseason? What can we get in return?

If you want to keep him after this season , what is his role with the team?? I think most rathet have Crowder as the backup 3

I think people fail to realize how good Brad Stevens is.

In a league where Evan Turner has failed to make a name for himself as the No. 2 pick, he somehow managed to be vital in a run for a playoff spot. But how did he do? He got swept by LeBron.

Now, think about how LeBron would stack up against a team like the Golden State Warriors, Houston Rockets or a Chris Paul-led Clippers?

That's the level of competition we should aim for if we, you know, want to win  ::)  and quite frankly as helpful as Turner was, we have to consider our overall team strength ahead of his appeal to the fandom.

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2015, 11:56:55 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
Can Turner continue to play at the same improved level of this past season or better when he's no longer dominating the ball on offense?

In a world where Matt Barnes is starting for a title contender, Turner has certainly got the talent to a long term contributor.  Can he make the adjustment and play second-fiddle to the better players Boston is going to/will try to bring in?

Mike

« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2015, 12:15:42 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 915
I like ET. Really, I do.  But he's got "second guy off the bench" talent, which is a fair description of most of our team.  In other words, we have too many cooks and not enough chefs as things currently stand.  ET, I wish you well on another team.

Mike

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2015, 12:18:30 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Trade.

Evan Turner (similarly to Jeff Green) is a Jekyll and Hyde player.

He has some decent games and then just disappears in other games (like in the Cavs series.)

He certainly doesn't come close to embodying the type of player we need to be our starting 3.

He's decent at point guard but I'd rather we had someone else at that position.

Maybe keep him as a back up 3, but I'd much rather have Crowder at that position.

« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2015, 12:18:32 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
I like his team effort , like his funny comments and he has done more than I thought he would .

That said ,  he is like Jeff Green,  nice dude , skills , more of a bench guy IMO,  but we need upgrades to compete for a title.

I d look for possible upgrade .

« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2015, 12:25:01 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Why do people want to keep bad players on the team?

My hope is that Ainge upgrades Bradley for a superior ball-handler at the 2 (or the 1, and then moves Smart to the 2) and then Turner becomes superfluous.

Turner reminded us of the value of having a versatile wing with ball-handling ability and a nice mid-range game.  Haven't had that since Paul Pierce's glory days.  Now it's Ainge's job to find a guy with starting talent who can fill that role.  Turner's not it.
My hope is that Smart becomes a much better ball handler so that Turner doesn't need to be in the lineup to run the offense.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2015, 01:19:46 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
Evan Turner is lost on a lot of people and the nba in general for the reasons stated.  people just get in that mode of this guy can't do this or that or isnt your prototypical whatever and we dont even see players like that anymore.  It's actually hurt the nba imo. 

Wouldnt surprise me if Stevens turns turner into an all star and an important cog on this team.

« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2015, 01:39:07 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Why do people want to keep bad players on the team?

Funny, I ask myself the same thing.

I also ask myself why don't people want good players on this team.

« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2015, 01:40:02 PM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.
Evan Turner is lost on a lot of people and the nba in general for the reasons stated.  people just get in that mode of this guy can't do this or that or isnt your prototypical whatever and we dont even see players like that anymore.  It's actually hurt the nba imo. 

Wouldnt surprise me if Stevens turns turner into an all star and an important cog on this team.

Stevens has only turned one person into a standout, and that was Gordon Hayward. But in Hayward's defense, and much to the discredit of Evan Turner, he already knew how to shoot the ball.

« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2015, 02:14:33 PM »

Offline ThePoeticWolf

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 14
Let him play out his year.  Or use him as a trade piece.  If not traded and he'll sign with us for another 2-3 years he's worth keeping at a low price.  Can play positions 1-3, creates his own, solid defended. 

« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2015, 02:21:22 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Turner will not turn into an all star. Come on

But he is a decent player that registers a mini triple double on a regular basis. 

However can you have him be the teams starting SF moving fwd? Have him take the role as the leading ball handler?

What happens to Smart's chances to develop into a PG?   

We all saw what happened when Turner tried to battle a guy like Lebron or even Leonard? Just got manhandled.   IMO bc Crowder is set as our backup 3 and Turner can't really play any other position but 3, he doesn't really have a spot in the lineup

Keeping him for another year until a better prospect/player takes over is the best bet but personally I would trade him asap and adj the lineup for the long term

« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2015, 03:22:57 PM »

Offline oldutican

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 12
ET can be a valuable/versatile bench player on a contender, and I hope that is in Boston.